Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostDoc are closing down - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostDoc are closing down

Comments

• @TerensM said:
    classic summer host, still can't understand why there was so much hype here on LET

Great service, good guy(s), stable network, unfortunate situation. @Hostdoc has offered refunds given a heads up/ notice before closure.
    Not the definition of a "classic" summer host, as one has experienced and others have mentioned.

At any time in the future should they offer service in a new avatar, I would be happy to sign up.

• @MikePT said:

@MikeA said:

@timelapse said:
    @MikeA @MikePT @Mic-hael are 1-man show too.

Is it a coincidence we all have the same name?

Can't be a coincidence. Clearly a case of success and proof that Mike's are awesome.

@HM-Michael best wishes - there's a high benchmark you have to meet. #awesomemikes

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited February 2020

@Lee said:
    On the other hand, it is a summer host type model. Not bashing, just a general statement about hosting providers that rely on the LET model.

Never make enough money for it be something that could turn into a profitable business no matter how many clients you get, always spending the money it does take on new locations, servers or services to cling on to the customers or attract more but never able to sell at a price that will ever provide a reasonable return.

By the sounds of it, a decision he already knew would come long before now. This event just provided the opportunity.

I do agree that it might be better if he calculated carefully on the profit and the potential risk. However, I doubt he already planned this decision earlier. He still performed a maintenance on one of the nodes on last Friday (31 Jan), and the performance indeed improved.

• FAT32 said: .. However, I doubt he already planned this decision earlier..

Methinks, possibly another straw that broke the proverbial.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Lee said:
    On the other hand, it is a summer host type model. Not bashing, just a general statement about hosting providers that rely on the LET model.

No, it is not. There's a difference between someone short-sightedly and/or idiotically starting a summer host operation -vs- someone who is not looking for a quick return on investment.

Plus, one can run such a (not too big) operation even as a hobby just for the love of it.

I guess the truth is somewhere in between, I guess that @HostDoc wanted to create an operation of a certain size that could then sustain him and his family and allow him to make it his full time job. Working towards that goal it makes perfect sense to re-invest all profits his operations generated.

Btw, this could also explain why he reacted so sensitively. Because to him his operation wasn't just a money making business "machine" but something he was heavily invested in emotionally. I take his "I'm closing down" meaning much more to him than just closing a shop; it also means that his dream turned out to have more of an ugly side than he expected/hoped.

I for one am grateful and happy to see that there aren't just lots of smart a__es out there striving to create ice cold money making machines but that there still are some people who try the "take your time, work hard and build up something solid and with your heart in it" approach. For those few we are customers and not just profit generators.

• MadRabbitMadRabbit Member
    edited February 2020

My bad

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited February 2020

I was not a customer of @HostDoc - but I feel uneasy for what happened. It's just sad to see a provider close down, especially one of the great providers in reviews and benchmarks.

I strongly hope that @HostDoc will stay here as a member, and not take all this feedback as an offense. This is LET, a place where technology is susceptible for PMS, especially when customers no longer get something dirt cheap.

With exculpation in mind, with respect in heart, and without PMS (at least not that I am aware of), I respect @HostDoc and really hope he will remain in this community as member (if not as provider).

@HostDoc - do not let bad feedback discourage you. Just look at how many people voted you in the now-ending "Provider Poll 2019". You deserve cheers, not this thread.

• Shame, I know the feeling, a lot of us are doing this just for fun and don't even make a profit in this very competitive market.

The decision is understandable.

• LeeLee Veteran

marvel said: Shame, I know the feeling, a lot of us are doing this just for fun and don't even make a profit

Indeed, the LET model that nobody should rely on for anything other than fun that they can afford to lose.

• The guy never managed to implement IPv6, not a single tear to shed. #jk

Thanked by 1corbpie
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Just remember folks, when you are getting "too good to be true" deals, don't try to push your luck.

From what I've observed, some of you should have really understood that the deals were below bottom barrel deals and should have not made big deals about some minor issues.

• given you are quiting the business as you put it, are you going to be doing hardware auctions/sales anytime soon?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Shot2 said:
    The guy never managed to implement IPv6, not a single tear to shed. #jk

It seems the IPv6 cancer is of very low priority to most potential customers here. I'm certainly one of them.
    Btw, didn't you hear the news? It's not anymore not yet having IPv6 everywhere that will extinguish the human race, it's "climate catastrophe!!!" now.

Thanked by 2bikegremlin riot
  • Would of preferred a blame brexit story...

• @HostDoc sad ending, I am your customer for a wordpress hosting, I will find option to move to another host. Whatever it is, mistakes happens, lessons learned, take care of health mentally and physically. Nothing important than mental and Physical fitness. Keep the emotions out while running business.

@dahartigan, you have been very useful here for the community, seems more matured person, you did a good job for far. Stay focused.

Thanked by 2dahartigan poisson
  • @HM-Michael said:
    I've posted my sarcastic/opinionated responses in here, now here's my take as a fellow provider:

The recent HostDoc saga is really an example of why feedback should be listened to and how not to handle security issues, along with communication in general.

What happened? Any link to that thread!? I was away from LET for so many days and seems a lot has happened.....jbiloh acquiring LET and LEB, HostDoc closing.....I wonder what's next!

• @alilet said:

@HM-Michael said:
    I've posted my sarcastic/opinionated responses in here, now here's my take as a fellow provider:

The recent HostDoc saga is really an example of why feedback should be listened to and how not to handle security issues, along with communication in general.

What happened? Any link to that thread!? I was away from LET for so many days and seems a lot has happened.....jbiloh acquiring LET and LEB, HostDoc closing.....I wonder what's next!

CC will implement ipv6 network wide

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@vyas11 said:

@alilet said:

@HM-Michael said:

CC will implement ipv6 network wide

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited February 2020

@HostDoc You are one of the people who put an upside down picture, back in the @eol -ithic era, which means you are good.

Now...
    Don't expect support from your competitors.
    There may be some knightsmanship and B2B, depending on mutual interests, but, within the same hierarchy group, you are still competition.

In fact, don't expect anything good from people, any people, that way you won't get dissapointed.
    And if something good happens, then you'll be happy.

One cannot just all of a sudden "go crazy" one day, the mental fabric has many layers and the brain itself needs to physically detetriorate, at least in some areas.
    You might get suddenly PTSD if something bad happens, but that's reversible and self limiting. We have ways of dealing with pain and trauma.

It's not that easy to go insane, it's a process.
    Even psychopath monsters grow and don't appear all of a sudden of nowhere...

Get a vacation and decide upon the future after the vacation.
    Anyhow, whatever is your decision, i wish best of luck to you.

• /yawns/

• As a @HostDoc customer. I wish you all the best of luck with the future and thank you for your service :)

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Sad to see this.

Thanked by 2dahartigan puerklint
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2020

@Lee said:

iTDave said: As much as I enjoy providing a hosting service basically for free

This is the LET model of hosting providers. Nobody will buy unless its cheaper than the last offer.

This is so true it hurts.

Whatever your cheapest offer is, that's basically your ceiling when selling on here.

Why is someone going to pay $20/month for that service when you fire sold them at $5/month not too long ago? Ahh, I'll just wait, it's bound to come back.

I've had many providers over the years complain about this very thing where they regret making some of the offers they did. They got that nice burst of sales and cash flow, but now they can't post/offer anything at a higher price or it won't sell.

One time crazy offers can be fun, especially on Black Friday, but it's hard on the host for the rest of the year.

It's why you suddenly see 25 hosts disappear in a weekend.

Francisco

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@AuroraZ said:
    yawns

the ghost enters his penis

• for the first 100 servers you must to put the money , when you have +100 servers this will get you money so simple.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2020

Francisco said: It's why you suddenly see 25 hosts disappear in a weekend.

Indeed, and you can see the next LET providers lining themselves up to fail or quit, just depends when their funds or patience runs out.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

To sum it up, potential customers on LET are worthless.

• LeeLee Veteran

deank said: To sum it up, potential customers on LET are worthless.

LET customers are bargain hunters and that is fine, we all love a great deal but once you realise that the only people buying are LET customers, which is the case for so many, you know it's over, you just don't know the date.

Thanked by 2dahartigan pluush
  • HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

by the way, does this also affect https://dedidoc.co.uk/dedicated-hosting/

or only HostDoc?

Thanked by 2dahartigan pluush
  • I got this amazing LA deal to idle on Ryzen 3900X from Doc 2 months ago and i was ready to idle it for a year or two but i guess doc had other plans. Best of luck for your future projects @HostDoc

3vCores @ 3.8Ghz
    3GB RAM
    45GB NVMe SSD
    1TB Bandwidth @ 10gbps
    Dedicated IPv4
    /64 IPv6
    Nested Virtualisation
    £3.99/m

This discussion has been closed.