Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
HostDoc are closing down
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

HostDoc are closing down

Just got this email from HostDoc..

It is with great regret that I write this email.

HostDoc will be closing its doors today and will no longer accept orders for any service moving forward.
All payment gateways are now inactive. All clients will be refunded pro-rata and a few refunds have already began being issued. If your refund has not yet been recieved, please open a ticket and be patient, all valid requests will be refunded.
If you have a paypal subscription set up, please cancel it now.

As much as I enjoy providing a hosting service basically for free (there has never been a profit margin which was not reinvested into new hardware), and as much as I can fend away many if not most of the trolls or those that try and bring the brand or reputation down, it is a much harder feat when it is someone that was once trusted.

As such, this is a notice that backs ups should immediately be taken and alternative hosting solutions be sought as a replacement for the services you currently have with us.

Services will not go down immediately, however, acting immediately would see you prepared for when our services do eventually go down which can be up to 30 days from today.

Our cpanel shared hosting may stay available for the next 6 months. If this is the case, no further fee will be charged to current users however, you are urged to use this time to prepare backups and migrate away from HostDoc.

I am sorry to those I will be letting down with this decision.
I am sorry I could not be the host I envisioned being.

Thank you for choosing HostDoc and allowing us to serve you as best as we could.

Kind regards
HostDoc.

Thanked by 2uptime Ganonk

Comments

• tester4tester4 Member
    edited February 2

• Why they close business?

• RecDRecD Member

Wha.. what happened

Comfy with Virmach

• they provide discount offers 20 times recently ,shit porvider ever I seen

• bdlbdl Member
    edited February 2

@zhuyijun said:
    they provide discount offers 20 times recently ,shit porvider ever I seen

What?

(and gosh darn it, I just cancelled a legacy OVH service which I can't re-purchase and in the process of moving everything to HostDoc...F)

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Moderator, Provider

@zhuyijun said:
    they provide discount offers 20 times recently ,shit porvider ever I seen

Holy crap, I legit thought I'd gone off the rails for a second.

• Speechless.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint Janevski

Purveyor of high quality potassium | "Get a FREE high-spec VPS from Evolution Host"

• Their deals were great while it lasted... not like I had anything important on these servers.

• THIS IS WAHT THEY SAID :I unfortunately cannot continue in this industry with such malicious characters.
    I am proud of what I have built and would like its legacy to end positively.

• Wait, why do I sense that he is blaming this on me?

Thanked by 1TimboJones

Purveyor of high quality potassium | "Get a FREE high-spec VPS from Evolution Host"

• RossGRossG Member, Provider

Sadly if you put so much time into something but get nothing in return, you’ll experience burnout eventually.

I hope everything is okay with the owner. Hopefully they’ll be able to take a well deserved break and chill out for a bit.

• can confirm received the email mins ago.
    Can say having this host has been a roller coaster ride sense day one.
    wish i could say thanks for your services while they lasted but have had many headaches because of them so.. eh...

• FAT32FAT32 Member, Moderator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Not that I am surprised by this, but I trusted you. I hope some of you guys are happy now. I doubt any other providers can match any of my deals as a refugee offer. It was great while it lasted.

Highly emotional. Need more deals to calm myself down.

• seriesnseriesn Member, Provider

Shit. That is bad and sad. I was kinda expecting doc to pull a 180 degree after the recent incident :(

On the same note, granted, it will be impossible to match his offerings, as one can guess. However, If anyone interested and needs a new home, please shoot a pm. As I mentioned, won't be able to match but we can try our best to help out.

I wish Chieve all the best. Kudos for not closing operations overnight and giving users proper notice.

• Wow... didn’t expect this coming... I wonder what will happen to those who topped up account credit during their top up bonus period last week 🤔

• t0ny0t0ny0 Member
    edited February 2

@dahartigan said:
    Wait, why do I sense that he is blaming this on me?

You might be onto something lol.
    From his email:

.... it is a much harder feat when it is someone that was once trusted...

Thanked by 2dahartigan FHR
  • HM-MichaelHM-Michael Member, Provider
    edited February 2

@dahartigan said:

Because you called him out on his crap and those kind of folks can’t handle honesty

HostMaxim - Quality KVM VPS' hosted in Tampa, FL and London, UK

• deankdeank Member

I can recreate Ladydoc's inner thoughts.

I gave you one of the cheapest deals and you pick on me for some stuff that ain't even a big deal? Fine, NO MORE SOUP FOR YOU. I will join @deank's cult and call it the end.

Clueless look for "best" solutions. Those who know what they are doing look for right solutions.

• So, was it Treudler v3 ? @Neoon

• PMS to the bitter end it seems.

I still haven't ruled out the possibility this was a rash decision he'll have forgotten about when he wakes up until he checks his mail.

• jarjar Provider
    edited February 2

@dahartigan said:

Probably because he was. You went all "I could air all your dirty laundry." I'm not gonna comment how I feel about that either way, been on both sides of that fence.

• @jar said:

@dahartigan said:

Probably because he was. You went all "I could air all your dirty laundry." I'm not gonna comment how I feel about that either way, been on both sides of that fence.

Fair call, I like your diplomatic approach and there's a reason I keep this away from your realm :-)

Could back and forward that point all day, but it is what it is I guess..

Thanked by 2HM-Michael jar

• I am not fan of hostdoc. But sad to see this going away.

signature for rent - ^_^

• @dahartigan said:

I can fend away many if not most of the trolls or those that try and bring the brand or reputation down, it is a much harder feat when it is someone that was once trusted

Thanked by 1dahartigan

grape

• Well, shit. If I can singlehandedly cause a host to shut down then there's a really fucking serious glitch in the matrix.

• deankdeank Member

Admit that you are a troll and join Nigh cult.

The end is always nigh, lowend folks.

Clueless look for "best" solutions. Those who know what they are doing look for right solutions.

• Looks like somebodies future as a influencer/host rep might be lacking potassium after this fiasco.

@dahartigan said:
    Well, shit. If I can singlehandedly cause a host to shut down then there's a really fucking serious glitch in the matrix.

haha

• @deank said:
    Admit that you are a troll and join Nigh cult.

The end is always nigh, lowend folks.

Trolling is one of my favorite pastimes.

@FrankZ said:
    Looks like somebodies future as a influencer/host rep might be lacking potassium after this fiasco.

Possibly, time will tell.

• riotriot Member
    edited February 2

@seriesn said:

I wish Chieve all the best. Kudos for not closing operations overnight and giving users proper notice.

Agreed. I've not had any problems with HostDoc so it's class that he gave everybody a heads up and timeframe. I've been on the end of hosts that have said "We're doing server maintenance on the weekend so make sure your backups are up to date" and then they shut the server down and vanish. This last is why I wanted to act quickly, just in case...

edited February 2

I've posted my sarcastic/opinionated responses in here, now here's my take as a fellow provider:

The recent HostDoc saga is really an example of why feedback should be listened to and how not to handle security issues, along with communication in general.

• t0ny0t0ny0 Member
    edited February 2

@dahartigan said:

@FrankZ said:
    Looks like somebodies future as a influencer/host rep might be lacking potassium after this fiasco.

Possibly, time will tell.

You still got plenty of premium potassium, I wouldn't worry about that tbh, I like the Doc, but his fuse is short.

Thanked by 2dahartigan cybertech
  • sad news but not suprised. kinda like vmhaus, but interestingly vmhaus still kickin alive.

wish u all the best @HostDoc

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • It is not malice but unsustainable pricing that killed Doc. If he hasn't been turning a profit margin for years, there's something wrong with how he has been operating. The nail in coffin is when the unsustainable pricing met serious technical glitches that went on for months. These are facts that Doc himself admitted, so I don't know why he wants to blame others for his own missteps.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Follow latest deals on Twitter or Telegram

• Now I have to remember what I was hosting there and move it. Damnit all...

• Tbh, I have nothing bad to say about @HostDoc . His services were great. The Support was also great which you wouldnt expect from the price you are paying. The live chat was also really convenient. He was always online. He was a 1 or 3-man show but definitely way better than the bigger outfits out there.

He was also very direct to the point and gets things done fast. No BS at all. I will miss my vps definitely. Never down for almost 2 years since I got it. Never oversold either.

I hope this was just a bad joke.

Thanked by 2isunbejo yongsiklee

I'm stuck

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2

... which you wouldnt expect from the price you are paying

Pretty much summarizes the entire situation.. At this point anyone can go off to someone like ReliableSite or Hetzner, toss a credit card down, and sell into the Ryzen 3800X/3900X market with little to no capital investment.

• @poisson said:
    It is not malice but unsustainable pricing that killed Doc. If he hasn't been turning a profit margin for years, there's something wrong with how he has been operating. The nail in coffin is when the unsustainable pricing met serious technical glitches that went on for months. These are facts that Doc himself admitted, so I don't know why he wants to blame others for his own missteps.

I dont think its unsustainable per se. He is just reinvesting it on the business since I believe he has an engineering job and hosting was his sideline.

What were the technical glitches? Most hosts here use Solus and its more buggy than Virtualizor tbh.

The glitch was on the billing and was never on his services afaik. And I kind of understand maybe how the Doc felt with all the attacks recently? Maybe he felt isolated? And that excaberated when his host rep joined in. Although I didnt feel David did it to bring him down. Honestly, I commend jar for initiating to help find the issue instead of just blaming and attacking. Sigh

Thanked by 1dahartigan

I'm stuck

• I am just quitting. Nothing shady but attempting to maintain mental health.

I do not know who @HM-Michael is but you seem to be having a mini PMS in this here thread. Are you okay?

@poisson We are financially sound. If you missed it, all profits were used towards new hardware.
    For an oufit that started with 3 dedicated servers and expanded to more than 18 servers off profits, I would say we did rather good.
    Seems like you are just once again fishing and still reeling from the fact that you were one of the few that were instructed to leave the service. With a full refund.

Another of the reasons for leaving is I feel for 2 years, I have constantly been in a battle with other providers. Not neccessarily competitively, just genuinenly disliked.
    I can understand @Clouvider liking such comments, I left him and spent thousands with OVH instead. But @seriesn ?
    People seem to feed off others, especially in discord, with no valid reason.

This is part of what I do not like.
    It will eventually drive me crazy.

• @IonSwitch_Stan said:

... which you wouldnt expect from the price you are paying

Pretty much summarizes the entire situation..

Aint that for all here? Lowend but prem? With the occassional deals? So who's next Virmach? I hope not

I'm stuck

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider
    edited February 2

I’d appreciate if you stop trying to pin the results of your very own mistakes, you’re solely responsible for, on us @HostDoc

Clouvider Limited - Leading EU Provider || Dedicated Server Sale - Our Latest LET Offer

Cloud Web Hosting | SSD & SAS HA OnApp VPS | UK, NL & DE Dedicated Servers | Network Services | Colocation | Managed Services

• @HostDoc I reiterate I never had services with you. I have asked you to release the evidence that I had services with you but you refused. Please see a psychiatrist for your own good.

I never said you didn't turn a profit. I said you were not sustainable. Turning insufficient profits means not sustainable. You would do better thinking more about well-intentioned advice.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Follow latest deals on Twitter or Telegram

• Tbh these 3 forums seem like ran by a gang, a group of people that protect each other only instead of a genuine community that helps each other out. Its toxic

I'm stuck

• @timelapse said:
    Tbh these 3 forums seem like ran by a gang, a group of people that protect each other only instead of a genuine community that helps each other out. Its toxic

Each has a favourite too

“The Mitigation is Spotless.” - Genius Guard, October 2016

• @webclouddev said:

@timelapse said:
    Tbh these 3 forums seem like ran by a gang, a group of people that protect each other only instead of a genuine community that helps each other out. Its toxic

Each has a favourite too

Haha true but I guess you couldnt call them out for it if its valid right?

I'm stuck

• _MS__MS_ Member

@dahartigan said:
    Well, shit. If I can singlehandedly cause a host to shut down then there's a really fucking serious glitch in the matrix.

So, Evolution Host next? :smiley:

• @timelapse said:

And if you want to continue the path of unverified allegations, we can allege you as a shill but nobody is doing thay, right?

• sonicsonic Member

It's sad to see this news.

Shared: Smallweb| VPS: Wishosting, NexusBytes, FlowVPS, VirMach, InceptionHosting, Linode
    Gapps legacy 100/200 users cheap 4 sale. PM

• @poisson said:

@timelapse said:

And if you want to continue the path of unverified allegations, we can allege you as a shill but nobody is doing thay, right?

Um @poisson why are you attacking me? I never even tagged you?

Thanked by 1nulldev

I'm stuck

• @poisson said:

@timelapse said:

If we go by you, then definitely anyone with a review blog like yours is a shill right? I was just sharing my observation on these forums and my experience with the docs service...

I'm stuck

This discussion has been closed.