Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostodo: bad service and unhelpful support
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostodo: bad service and unhelpful support

As a refugee of WebSound, I got a Hostodo KVM VPS last month. It has been a bad experience, and the support (provided by @Hassan ) is slow and not helpful.

As soon as I got the VPS, I noticed the hard disk is not working properly. It gets random I/O errors on writing (such as doing dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/vda bs=4k). Sometimes it's I/O errors received by the guest kernel (like the one below), otherwise it just stalls the whole VM (including VNC, like when you specify werror=stop on qemu command line) so that I had to "Poweroff" the VM and reboot in SolusVM to get it back.

I contacted the support, and they "changed some settings", "recreated the VPS" and even "recreated on another node" but still couldn't solve the I/O error. It took a whole week because their response was very slow. On average they took one day to make some change (in vain) and reply the ticket. I was very patient and reproduced the error on every case. I even had to try different Live CDs because half of the ISO on their SolusVM didn't work (the VM won't boot with that CDRom) despite they only provide a limited and outdated selection of ISO.

So after a week, they still didn't solve the issue. Then I found that if I set disk mode to IDE instead of virtio, I didn't get I/O errors anymore. I figured I could live with that as long as the drive works. But it turned out to be wrong. Although the error became rare in IDE mode, sometimes it still get ATA errors like this:

ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
ata1.00: BMDMA stat 0x4
ata1.00: failed command: WRITE DMA EXT
ata1.00: cmd 35/00:00:70:42:93/00:04:00:00:00/e0 tag 0 dma 524288 out
              res 41/04:00:70:42:93/04:00:70:42:93/e0 Emask 0x1 (device error)
ata1.00: status: { DRDY ERR }
ata1.00: error: { ABRT }
ata1.00: configured for MWDMA1
ata1: EH complete

ata1.00: limiting speed to PIO4
ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
ata1.00: BMDMA stat 0x4
ata1.00: failed command: WRITE DMA EXT
ata1.00: cmd 35/00:00:70:d2:93/00:04:00:00:00/e0 tag 0 dma 524288 out
              res 41/04:00:70:d2:93/04:00:70:d2:93/e0 Emask 0x1 (device error)
ata1.00: status: { DRDY ERR }
ata1.00: error: { ABRT }

Even when there's no device error, the I/O speed can be as low as 10MB/s, and any I/O operation will stall the whole system and makes it unresponsive and not usable. Hassan told me that's due to RAID syncing but I don't think that's the case because the slow speed and random I/O error happen every day.

I think I'm running out of patience and won't waste any more time trying to solve the hard disk issue with Hassan so a brief review on LET is in order. That being said, the network speed is very good (at least for me, despite what people said in this post) and the uptime-wise is okay, too.

Thanked by 1Chuck

Comments

• Did you request for a refund?

• I also had some hard drive related problems. I couldn't create any files on my fresh reinstalled server. They had no idea how to fix it or simply don't care. In the end, I asked them to create a new one for me on another physical server and the problem was solved.
    I think maybe it's just their special way to welcome websound refugees.

• I hadn't done anything disk intensive on my box so I hadn't noticed but mine does it too although my transfer rates are fine until it happens. Locked it up four of five times tinkering with it until I managed to corrupt the OS. It's interesting because the Miami location doesn't seem to have that problem.

• @skorous said:
    I hadn't done anything disk intensive on my box so I hadn't noticed but mine does it too although my transfer rates are fine until it happens. Locked it up four of five times tinkering with it until I managed to corrupt the OS. It's interesting because the Miami location doesn't seem to have that problem.

You better watch out
    You better not cry
    Better not pout
    I'm telling you why
    Mr.Thendisnigh is coming to you.

• @banxix said:
    Did you request for a refund?

WebSound was reluctant to issue a refund and I didn't push. I figured there are better ways to make use of a VPS with a half-broken hard drive. It's just annoying.

Kiwi83 said: They had no idea how to fix it or simply don't care. In the end, I asked them to create a new one for me on another physical server and the problem was solved.

I think that just bespeaks their incompetence and attitude. Except in my case the new VPS on another physical server still produces I/O errors.

skorous said: It's interesting because the Miami location doesn't seem to have that problem.

Maybe they just scrambled some rubbish hard drives for LA location to welcome WebSound refugees.

• You should do your research on Hostodo before complaining for buying their service. I have shared the recommendation to do this on many of their posts. I won't explicitly influence why (you now see why..) because people need to be smart with their idling vps.

• @Hassan, it has been almost a full week. I see you regularly post VPS deals, how about spending some time to help existing customers?

• Nobody should have accepted being transferred to Hostodo. You were warned.

• @JoeMerit said:
    Nobody should have accepted being transferred to Hostodo. You were warned.

Websound refused to refund. What else could I do except migrating to hostodo?

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited April 2019

Well, moving to a leaking ship from a sinking ship isn't generally a good idea especially when there are other perfectly fine ships within reach.

• the end is nigh

• Kiwi83 said: Websound refused to refund. What else could I do except migrating to hostodo?

just write it off and consider yourself scammed by Websound and get a new VPS elsewhere.

Thanked by 1poisson
  • psb777 said: Maybe they just scrambled some rubbish hard drives for LA location to welcome WebSound refugees.

@psb777

Got a notice they were doing hardware maintenance today. Wondering if your machine is still b0rk3d.

• r00t4bl3r00t4bl3 Member
    edited April 2019

deank said: Well, moving to a leaking ship from a sinking ship isn't generally a good idea especially when there are other perfectly fine ships within reach.

Couldn't agree more.

• sonicsonic Veteran

Don't buy anything from Hassan!

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • @skorous said:

psb777 said: Maybe they just scrambled some rubbish hard drives for LA location to welcome WebSound refugees.

@psb777

Got a notice they were doing hardware maintenance today. Wondering if your machine is still b0rk3d.

No they didn't perform any maintenance on my node.