Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gestion DBI ticket emails to former customers / service terminations - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Gestion DBI ticket emails to former customers / service terminations

Comments

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

I received my first email. This is unacceptable to spam me with one email!

• All this crying over a couple of emails and nobody bothers to ask what "anomaly" in WHMCS seems to have caused this whole charade in the first place?

Wow.

• FoulFoul Member

mpkossen said: WHMCS

AFAIK they use hostbill

• @Foul said:

mpkossen said: WHMCS

AFAIK they use hostbill

Yeah, just found out. Sorry about that!

Still, I'm curios what has caused this. I've also got a ticket open. I personally don't like the secrecy about what went wrong here. It's either a fault in HostBill or something with a custom modification. In either case I believe those of us affected have a right to know what caused this.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • mpkossen said: In either case I believe those of us affected have a right to know what caused this.

I believe he said this on the first page:

davidgestiondbi said: 4- Since some stu** folks decide to DDoS the Client Area during the outage, the IP get nullrouted every minutes and this cause issue to reach the mail server, and sometime cron start sending again.

• mpkossen said: It's either a fault in HostBill or something with a custom modification.

If it's a fault with HostBill itself, then all other hosting companies using it would have gotten screwed over already.

• lazytlazyt Member

Really this entire event reminds me of many other threads on here.

If you go by the number of times providers state they experience problems of this nature. Maybe the entire automation schema needs reevaluation.

• souensouen Member

Excerpt from the most recent email:

We can assure you that we had taken all the measure and precaution to make sure this kind of incident won’t recur again.

Once again from all our team, sorry for any inconvenience cause during this event.

That's all I ask, a polite acknowledgement that a problem occurred (including the multiple emails) and measures were taken to fix and prevent it from happening again. Thanks Gestion DBI team.

Thanked by 1vedran
  • BradBrad Member

I fail to understand how a cron mishap could cause customers without an active service to receive termination emails and ticket emails (from what I've skimmed through)? Surely there must be something more going on...

• lazytlazyt Member

Well duh, but mentioning it will get you accused of shaming bullying and probably even racist tendencies.

• So was it actually a security problem?

• @JoeMerit said:
    So was it actually a security problem?

https://status.gestiondbi.com/incident/48

Nope

To be clear, this is not an hack or a security issue, but an anomaly with our system that we are currently investigating with our staff and our management panel experts.

• Anyone else use Hostbill and have an 'anomaly' that wipes accounts ?

Does Hostbill have a rep here?

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • @Brad said:
    I fail to understand how a cron mishap could cause customers without an active service to receive termination emails and ticket emails (from what I've skimmed through)? Surely there must be something more going on...

Exactly my thoughts. There seems to be something very suspicious here

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

JoeMerit said: Anyone else use Hostbill and have an 'anomaly' that wipes accounts ?

Could be an external factor. Server date/time perhaps?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

vedran said: I can't get over the fact this particular provider decided to insult people here just because they pointed out there is a problem.

Really, you cant get over it?

• @Brad said:

It's not just that. People's services (including mine) seem to have been actually terminated. Had it been just the email it wouldn't have mattered that much to me.

According to David, he can't disclose what happened due to a "legal reason". I've asked which legal reason that was.

edited June 2016

mpkossen said: According to David, he can't disclose what happened due to a "legal reason". I've asked which legal reason that was.

I suppose if he's going to file a lawsuit against someone or press charges against them, that's typically when you wouldn't mention it. Going down that path would imply a claim of damages against a software company or an employee, likely not an employee given the statement of no security risk.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • Just a remark: some time ago this would have been front-page news for LEB.

Thanked by 2netomx tommy
  • lazytlazyt Member

That's what I was thinking earlier.

• jarland said: no security risk

Getting servers terminated "accidentally" without knowing what caused it could seem like a security risk to me.

I'm assuming they know what caused it, hence I feel it's in their best interest to disclose what actually caused it (in order to retain trust from clients). Who caused it is a different issue (though I'd like to know as well).

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

If they have been hacked, someone have the balls and say that they have been hacked.

• LeeLee Veteran

mpkossen said: can't disclose what happened due to a "legal reason"

Which is LET speak for fucking up or a security breach but does not want to admit it. Disclosing the true, underlying reason for a situation like this is not going to affect any "legal action".

Not trying to stir the pot but it's LET, providers either jump out with honestly or hide the truth and at this moment it seems like hiding. I don't know the provider and even if I did that would not make me trust what they say unless it's clear, open and has notes of truth.

Right now it sounds like a breach of some sort. Could be a panel vulnerability, but one that nobody else has been affected by, doubtful.

• FoulFoul Member

tl'dr it doesnt really like a cron issue to me. but that's just my speculation... If it was hostbill.. this issue would've happened with other hosts using hostbill..

• erkinerkin Member
    edited June 2016

@Nekki said:

@erkin said:

...whereas as a fuck up is just a fuck up, amirite?

Sorry but what did you want to say here? And was it something serious or just a simple nonsense of you?..

edited June 2016

mpkossen said: I've asked which legal reason that was.

IMO this confirms:

http://drop.jarland.me/a5el

Looks like he intends to at least review his legal position against someone. It would be good advice for him to not speak of it until having spoken to a lawyer, and perhaps afterward for a bit if it moves forward, depending on the nature of it.

• Mark_R said: This is getting kind of annoying.

What's annoying is your use of firefox, operamail, and windows 10.

• jarland said: Looks like he intends to at least review his legal position against someone.

Is there anything in the ToS stating that comments here are owned by the poster? ;)

Thanked by 1jar
  • PandyPandy Member

@DamienSB said:

Mark_R said: This is getting kind of annoying.

What's annoying is your use of firefox, operamail, and windows 10.

Whats wrong with firefox or windows 10?

no idea about operamail tho

ricardo said: in the ToS

Is that one of those fancy documents that declare everyone's rights? :D

Thanked by 2netomx ricardo
This discussion has been closed.