DNS Monitoring service?
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

DNS Monitoring service?

I have a client who decided it was better to handle their own DNS for their website. Now there have a been a few DNS outages and of course I am blamed as nobody could get to the site. I already have a monitor service for the site but when DNS is down it does not report that it is DNS over a site outage. Can anyone recommend a low cost service that will monitor DNS? I need something that gives a report to show that it is DNS, how many tries and how long it is out.

Thank you,

-G

Comments

• TrafficTraffic Member

DNS runs at port 53. Almost any monitoring system allows monitoring services. Add the NS and the port and you're done.

vrtz.net Cheap VPS Servers Offers - now with EXCLUSIVE offers! (all links are aff links)
    $12/year HostUS Deal (768MB RAM+768MB vSwap)$11.29/year GestionDBI Deal (768MB RAM)

• kcajkcaj Member

Pingdom supports DNS checks. You can get a free account which includes one check.

• MisterGMisterG Member

@Traffic Good idea, it would at least show it is out. But one of the outages was the person deleted the www record. The ping would still show alive. But I like the idea as I could monitor from more than one way.

• MisterGMisterG Member

@kcaj Thank you, I was thinking Pingdom was paid only and was more than I wanted to spend.

• We've got good DNS monitoring.

Website and server monitoring for the masses. NodePing

• @MisterG you'll need to get to the root of your issue. monitoring will just tell you it's down but doesn't rectify your problem

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Provider

@century1stop said: MisterG you'll need to get to the root of your issue. monitoring will just tell you it's down but doesn't rectify your problem

I think he wants to prove to his client that the issue isn't his service but the problem is the clients DNS servers.

I run a Minecraft server. | Not mtwiscool.

• @matthewvz as a matter of fact, you're quite right ;)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

I can confirm, pingdom is great to monitor DNS, definitely recommend :)

Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

• camargcamarg Member

I'm using nagios

• MisterGMisterG Member

Thank you to everyone for your feedback. I am going to use pingdom to monitor the actual lookup and another provider just to monitor port 53. I figure I will have two different ways will help. Thanks again!

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited May 2015

MisterG said: Can anyone recommend a low cost service that will monitor DNS?

Cron is cheap...

#!/bin/bash
    DOMAIN="example.com"
    RESULT=$(/usr/bin/dig +time=5 +tries=2 +short $DOMAIN)
    if [ -z "$RESULT" ]; then
        echo "$DOMAIN lookup failed"
    fi
    exit 0
    Thanked by 1ehab
  • MisterGMisterG Member

Thanks @sleddog but I want (need) a third party to be able to show my client. You know how some people can be with proof. But I will keep this in mind for myself.

• +1 for pingdom, you have a small fee but it is worth it and they have a neat app to go with it

CyberHub - Hosting Made Simple
    Web Hosting | Reseller Webhosting | Dedicated Servers | VPS | Colocation

• I have been very happy with monitive.com