Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS Monitoring service?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS Monitoring service?

I have a client who decided it was better to handle their own DNS for their website. Now there have a been a few DNS outages and of course I am blamed as nobody could get to the site. I already have a monitor service for the site but when DNS is down it does not report that it is DNS over a site outage. Can anyone recommend a low cost service that will monitor DNS? I need something that gives a report to show that it is DNS, how many tries and how long it is out.

Thank you,

-G

Comments

• TrafficTraffic Member

DNS runs at port 53. Almost any monitoring system allows monitoring services. Add the NS and the port and you're done.

• J1021J1021 Member

Pingdom supports DNS checks. You can get a free account which includes one check.

• MisterGMisterG Member

@Traffic Good idea, it would at least show it is out. But one of the outages was the person deleted the www record. The ping would still show alive. But I like the idea as I could monitor from more than one way.

• MisterGMisterG Member

@kcaj Thank you, I was thinking Pingdom was paid only and was more than I wanted to spend.

• We've got good DNS monitoring.

• @MisterG you'll need to get to the root of your issue. monitoring will just tell you it's down but doesn't rectify your problem

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

@century1stop said:
    MisterG you'll need to get to the root of your issue. monitoring will just tell you it's down but doesn't rectify your problem

I think he wants to prove to his client that the issue isn't his service but the problem is the clients DNS servers.

• @matthewvz as a matter of fact, you're quite right ;)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

I can confirm, pingdom is great to monitor DNS, definitely recommend :)

• camargcamarg Member

I'm using nagios

• MisterGMisterG Member

Thank you to everyone for your feedback. I am going to use pingdom to monitor the actual lookup and another provider just to monitor port 53. I figure I will have two different ways will help. Thanks again!

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited May 2015

MisterG said: Can anyone recommend a low cost service that will monitor DNS?

Cron is cheap...

#!/bin/bash
    DOMAIN="example.com"
    RESULT=$(/usr/bin/dig +time=5 +tries=2 +short $DOMAIN)
    if [ -z "$RESULT" ]; then
        echo "$DOMAIN lookup failed"
    fi
    exit 0
    Thanked by 1ehab
  • MisterGMisterG Member

Thanks @sleddog but I want (need) a third party to be able to show my client. You know how some people can be with proof. But I will keep this in mind for myself.

• +1 for pingdom, you have a small fee but it is worth it and they have a neat app to go with it

• I have been very happy with monitive.com