Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Who are the best free SSL providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Who are the best free SSL providers?

I am looking for cheap or free SSL.

I have noticed the CloudCommando offer, but free is better. It is more a matter of familiarity and ease with the process, not so much price.

Affiliate Links: Prometeus - Rock Solid KVM | Xen | OpenVZ    Netcup coupon 36nc15356334959

Comments

• StartCom?

tridoxium.pw My little blog-like website thingamajig

• I've used them before. They have a wizard you can use the generate the key and certificate without having to do a csr.

• +1 for Startssl, The control panel is a little ugly :) but it gets the job done.

• StartSSL or cloudflare

Rest are paid

Different.

• said: rchurch

Why need free? If you not be able spend five bucks for a cheap SSL you don't need it at all :)

Yes, I can boogie

• ARKARK Member

form china provider https://buy.wosign.com/DVSSL.html (free,two years,and you can add one hundred domains)

"But I will establish my covenant with you, and you shall come into the ark, you, your sons, your wife, and your sons' wives with you"

• edited January 2015

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    StartSSL or cloudflare

Rest are paid

When did cloudflare start providing free SSL? :O

MANAGED & UNMANAGED VPS WITH 24/7 SUPPORT

• @Midhun_Varghese said:
    When did cloudflare start providing free SSL? :O

Just add your domain under CF and enable SSL in the options and it adds SSL to your site

Thanked by 1Maller

Different.

• NomadNomad Member
    edited January 2015

@ARK said:
    form china provider https://buy.wosign.com/DVSSL.html (free,two years,and you can add one hundred domains)

Seeing your message, I did get one...
    It did work. Though I have no chinese, I managed to get a certificate for 36 domains/subdomains from that site. And it works...

But I couldn't make it go green, it's just yellow ^^ I don't have this with other SSL certificates. Dunno why.

• @Nomad Use Chrome, and you will see it's green

• Nomad said: Though I have no chinese, I managed to get a certificate for 36 domains/subdomains from that site. And it works...

So.. how did you manage?

(((o(゚▽゚)o))) If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy. (((o(゚▽゚)o)))

ヽ(`Д´)ノ Everyone should run Tor on their idle servers.

• @comXyz I DO use chrome ^^ But it didn't work. When I switch certificates from this to StartCom or an AlphaSSL certificate I do get the regular green.
    Maybe I need to wait an hour or two...

@4n0nx it's easy. With some common sense and copy/paste to google translate, it turns out to be a quick procedure.

But the amount you need, configure, submit, validate your domain(s), ask for the certificate to be sent then you'll recieve a zip file to your email with Tomcat, Other, Nginx, IIS, Apache zip files. Inside them, your certificates readied for you...

• @Nomad

It's stuck for me on 'Detecting'. Any chance you know how to fix this?

"LET: where you can go from hero to zero in the space of a single thread." - Nekki

• @TheLonely I don't remember getting any "Detecting" messages.
    Which part of the process is this?

• @Nomad

This page
    (I entered my domain on it but no luck)

"LET: where you can go from hero to zero in the space of a single thread." - Nekki

• Oh, you have it in English. I had all that pages in Chinese :D

OK... I had to enter the amount of domains stated above that blue notification div.
    Like I got a 36 domain certificate. If the amount of certificates are less than the amount you type in, it doesn't allow.

• how do you set it to English? I fought my way through the Chinese and submitted a CSR:

All the domain name of your certificate has been verified bound, the staff will process your order immediately (Estimated Completion Time: 2015-01-19 08:59).

facepalms

(((o(゚▽゚)o))) If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy. (((o(゚▽゚)o)))

• Yeah, you did it eh? Soon you'll get a zip file at your email.
    Oh, the password for the zip is the same password you set for the certficate...

• Nomad said: Soon you'll get a zip file at your email.

Looks like it will take until Monday, according to the message.. :(

@TheLonely how did you set it to English? It would really help me find my way around on the site..

I had no "Detecting" message either. Can you take a screenshot of it?

• @4n0nx clearly should have used Google Translate.

You ignore posts from us however, what a shame :).

Acting Director of Albino Geek Services Ltd. My Keybase ID ( gh )
    GoodHosting.co | Enterprise KVM Virtual Private Servers | Twitter / Status : @ GoodHostingCo

• @4n0nx said:

Google Translate... (Chrome extension)

Thanked by 14n0nx

• Too bad there is no wildcard support lol

Devops Consultant | GitHub

• rm_rm_ Member
    edited January 2015

It doesn't accept my CSR, anyone succeeded in getting a cert via custom CSR, not their generation?

• @rm_ said:
    It doesn't accept my CSR, anyone succeeded in getting a cert via custom CSR, not their generation?

Check that your CSR is being generated to match the settings you told them to use for the certificate, such as that you have selected "English Certificate" during the order process, and that you have selected the correct RSA version, etc; as expected. Some mis-translation and word order on the site makes things confusing.

Acting Director of Albino Geek Services Ltd. My Keybase ID ( gh )
    GoodHosting.co | Enterprise KVM Virtual Private Servers | Twitter / Status : @ GoodHostingCo

• rm_rm_ Member
    edited January 2015

What needs to be in the CSR for it to be considered "English"?

Mkay, my CSR was missing countryName. Worked with CACert and StartSSL without that, though.

• MallerMaller Member
    edited January 2015

@rm_ said:
    What needs to be in the CSR for it to be considered "English"?

You just need to make sure the "Certificate language" is set to english on the order page.
    See @TheLonely's screenshot.

• rm_rm_ Member

Also I'd say they should color-code their f-cking buttons properly, make ones which confirm stuff Green, and those which cancel, Red. As it is now on one of the forms I got three green buttons, all with 漢字 which you can't copy-paste, one of those seemed to cancel the order entirely and another goes back to the previous step.

• WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

Copy from sourcecode.

• rm_ said: Also I'd say they should color-code their f-cking buttons properly, make ones which confirm stuff Green, and those which cancel, Red. As it is now on one of the forms I got three green buttons, all with 漢字 which you can't copy-paste, one of those seemed to cancel the order entirely and another goes back to the previous step.

Yeah I just pressed the right button always. xD

• Lol, why do you guys do this to yourselves? Too much free time?

Thanked by 2switsys NanoG6

-

• @rds100 said:
    Lol, why do you guys do this to yourselves? Too much free time?

• rm_rm_ Member

Meanwhile I am waiting now after getting the same message:

4n0nx said: the staff will process your order immediately (Estimated Completion Time: 2015-01-19 08:59).

Wondering if it only issues certs instantly if you did not use the CSR option (as some already got theirs).

• rds100 said: Lol, why do you guys do this to yourselves? Too much free time?

If it works then I will have saved $price*$amountofdomains. :)

• The WoSign Free SSL is cross signed by StartSSL.

So, for non-Chinese users(I mean those who can read English), it makes no difference with the StartSSL. Only to add up some risk though, for you need to trust a random new company in Mainland China.

• I got mines without the CSR option.
    Direct entries...

• @cnbeining said:
    The WoSign Free SSL is cross signed by StartSSL.

So, for non-Chinese users(I mean those who can read English), it makes no difference with the StartSSL. Only to add up some risk though, for you need to trust a random new company in Mainland China.

So... It makes sense if you plan not to change it for 2 years... Startcom promises 1 year, this site 2 years... Well.. I feel too lazy, so I grab one of this

• Nomad said: So... It makes sense if you plan not to change it for 2 years... Startcom promises 1 year, this site 2 years... Well.. I feel too lazy, so I grab one of this

yes I like the 2 years,too. From what I read it can be revoked for free,too? StartSSL charges money for that iirc.

• rm_rm_ Member

cnbeining said: it makes no difference with the StartSSL.

StartSSL doesn't provide up to 100 domains for free on a single cert.

• @rm_ said:

That too.. I can treat it like wildcard ssl, all my existing and possibly can exist domains can exist in one ssl, neat i'ld say...

• I've tried it a bunch of times, I always get "Submit request contains invalid data" after submitting at the end. :(

• ARKARK Member

@Nomad said:

you need use sha2 and english

"But I will establish my covenant with you, and you shall come into the ark, you, your sons, your wife, and your sons' wives with you"

• ARKARK Member
    edited January 2015

@Nomad said:

• @ARK said:

I did try SHA2 and English....
    Maybe it was my server caching the ssl certificates but... It wasn't green on my case.

• ARKARK Member

@Nomad said:
    you must use this address https://buy.wosign.com/DVSSL.html

and choose

• ARKARK Member
    edited January 2015

@Nomad said:
    or you send me your domains and .csr ,I will help you.

• I did choose them.
    I bought 36 certificates from that page.
    I entered my domains.
    I verified my domains.
    I got the email for them.
    I installed the certificate.
    But...

Dunno why I only got yellow instead of green....

• ARKARK Member

@Nomad said:
    I did choose them.
    I bought 36 certificates from that page.
    I entered my domains.
    I verified my domains.
    I got the email for them.
    I installed the certificate.
    But...

Dunno why I only got yellow instead of green....

• rm_rm_ Member

Sigh, they got 1 billion people there in China, but no one to approve cert requests on Sunday...

• cnbeiningcnbeining Member
    edited January 2015

@rm_ said:

EDIT: WARNING:

I was wrong! In a way.

If you check the archive.org link down there, you can see the "超快SSL" , or "DV_KuaiSSL" is cross-signed with UTN SGC.

But, after they put it free(you can see, if you put 100 domains in it, this would cost you ~¥88000(~$14200) . Of course, this is too good to be true.

The free DV_KuaiSSL is now signed with StartSSL. Which means, it is the same as the original FreeSSL.

And the problem is, the cert chain is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo long that it breaks: if so, the browser would give you a warning. EVEN WORSE than you do not have that SSL!

---------------OUTDATED, but do provides you with some historical info------------
    That 's because:

"超快SSL" , or in their name, "DV_KuaiSSL" (well, hope you can see those Chinese and is able to match them on the website- I think they looks quite different, but since I am a native user so...) is NOT StartSSL.

They SAID this is cross-signed with UTN SGC, but this information is hidden now, along with the introduction that the "免费SSL"(DV_KuaiSSL_Free) is cross-signed with StartSSL. But I was able to recover the info here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140704024028/http://www.wosign.com/price.htm

You can check the current webpage to see the difference.