Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who are the best free SSL providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who are the best free SSL providers?

I am looking for cheap or free SSL.

I have noticed the CloudCommando offer, but free is better. It is more a matter of familiarity and ease with the process, not so much price.

Comments

• StartCom?

• I've used them before. They have a wizard you can use the generate the key and certificate without having to do a csr.

• +1 for Startssl, The control panel is a little ugly :) but it gets the job done.

• StartSSL or cloudflare

Rest are paid

• said: rchurch

Why need free? If you not be able spend five bucks for a cheap SSL you don't need it at all :)

• ARKARK Member

form china provider https://buy.wosign.com/DVSSL.html (free,two years,and you can add one hundred domains)

• edited January 2015

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    StartSSL or cloudflare

Rest are paid

When did cloudflare start providing free SSL? :O

• @Midhun_Varghese said:
    When did cloudflare start providing free SSL? :O

Just add your domain under CF and enable SSL in the options and it adds SSL to your site

Thanked by 1Maller
  • NomadNomad Member
    edited January 2015

@ARK said:
    form china provider https://buy.wosign.com/DVSSL.html (free,two years,and you can add one hundred domains)

Seeing your message, I did get one...
    It did work. Though I have no chinese, I managed to get a certificate for 36 domains/subdomains from that site. And it works...

But I couldn't make it go green, it's just yellow ^^ I don't have this with other SSL certificates. Dunno why.

• @Nomad Use Chrome, and you will see it's green

• Nomad said: Though I have no chinese, I managed to get a certificate for 36 domains/subdomains from that site. And it works...

So.. how did you manage?

• @comXyz I DO use chrome ^^ But it didn't work. When I switch certificates from this to StartCom or an AlphaSSL certificate I do get the regular green.
    Maybe I need to wait an hour or two...

@4n0nx it's easy. With some common sense and copy/paste to google translate, it turns out to be a quick procedure.

But the amount you need, configure, submit, validate your domain(s), ask for the certificate to be sent then you'll recieve a zip file to your email with Tomcat, Other, Nginx, IIS, Apache zip files. Inside them, your certificates readied for you...

• @Nomad

It's stuck for me on 'Detecting'. Any chance you know how to fix this?

• @TheLonely I don't remember getting any "Detecting" messages.
    Which part of the process is this?

• @Nomad

This page
    (I entered my domain on it but no luck)

• Oh, you have it in English. I had all that pages in Chinese :D

OK... I had to enter the amount of domains stated above that blue notification div.
    Like I got a 36 domain certificate. If the amount of certificates are less than the amount you type in, it doesn't allow.

• how do you set it to English? I fought my way through the Chinese and submitted a CSR:

All the domain name of your certificate has been verified bound, the staff will process your order immediately (Estimated Completion Time: 2015-01-19 08:59).

facepalms

• Yeah, you did it eh? Soon you'll get a zip file at your email.
    Oh, the password for the zip is the same password you set for the certficate...

• Nomad said: Soon you'll get a zip file at your email.

Looks like it will take until Monday, according to the message.. :(

@TheLonely how did you set it to English? It would really help me find my way around on the site..

I had no "Detecting" message either. Can you take a screenshot of it?

• @4n0nx clearly should have used Google Translate.

You ignore posts from us however, what a shame :).

• @4n0nx said:

Google Translate... (Chrome extension)

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Too bad there is no wildcard support lol

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2015

It doesn't accept my CSR, anyone succeeded in getting a cert via custom CSR, not their generation?

• @rm_ said:
    It doesn't accept my CSR, anyone succeeded in getting a cert via custom CSR, not their generation?

Check that your CSR is being generated to match the settings you told them to use for the certificate, such as that you have selected "English Certificate" during the order process, and that you have selected the correct RSA version, etc; as expected. Some mis-translation and word order on the site makes things confusing.

edited January 2015

What needs to be in the CSR for it to be considered "English"?

Mkay, my CSR was missing countryName. Worked with CACert and StartSSL without that, though.

• MallerMaller Member
    edited January 2015

@rm_ said:
    What needs to be in the CSR for it to be considered "English"?

You just need to make sure the "Certificate language" is set to english on the order page.
    See @TheLonely's screenshot.

Also I'd say they should color-code their f-cking buttons properly, make ones which confirm stuff Green, and those which cancel, Red. As it is now on one of the forms I got three green buttons, all with 漢字 which you can't copy-paste, one of those seemed to cancel the order entirely and another goes back to the previous step.

• Copy from sourcecode.

• rm_ said: Also I'd say they should color-code their f-cking buttons properly, make ones which confirm stuff Green, and those which cancel, Red. As it is now on one of the forms I got three green buttons, all with 漢字 which you can't copy-paste, one of those seemed to cancel the order entirely and another goes back to the previous step.

Yeah I just pressed the right button always. xD