VPS? VM? Node? Slice? Droplet? Which term do you prefer?
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

VPS? VM? Node? Slice? Droplet? Which term do you prefer?

raindog308raindog308 Moderator

Originally I heard “VPS” and have used it ever since, although the big cloud guys like to use VM instead. The term VM goes back to the 60s and the IBM mainframe.

The first box I ever got was a 64mb from vpslink...and I see they’re still selling that plan for $7.95/mo LOL. Anyway, back then I bought a “VPS” so I’ve tended to use the term since.

Node sounds cool. But also kinda slangy. And I hear it more for the underlying physical machine.

Slice and Droplet and such are marketingspeak of course. The former sounds like pizza and the latter like some kind of fetish. (j/k...I do like and recommend both BuyVM and DO).

So...your preference? I prefer passionate replies from those willing to argue why all others are wrong and make lifelong enemies in the process.

My Advice: VPS Advice

For LET support, please click here.

Comments

• williewillie Member

Node = hardware

VPS = any sort of server container (openvz, kvm etc. all count)

VM = virtual machine, i.e. runs its own OS, like kvm (not openvz)

Cloud VM = somewhat vague but connotes hourly billing, floating IPs, a working API to acquire and release servers, various ancillary services, and enough hardware stock that you can (usually) get servers whenever you want them.

Slice, droplet, linode = terms used by particular providers.

• teamaccteamacc Member

Cloud = anything that you name cloud.

Thanked by 2jaypeesmith BharatB

Yo mama so fat each of her butt-cheeks has its own /8.
    #banhostnamaste

• raindog308raindog308 Moderator

I’ve heard a few vendors referring to a “cloud of clouds”. Made me instantly despise them.

Thanked by 2willie eLohkCalb

• acidpukeacidpuke Member
    edited May 13

Personally VPS for me Virtual Private Server, pretty much is spot on.

I do like slice and droplet but I consider that more marketing or brand recognition.

Edit...Another term I just remembered hearing VDS not used often, Virtual Dedicated Server.

• FHRFHR Member, Provider

LPAR sounds cooler than any of the above terms.

Thanked by 1raindog308

SkylonHost | Affordable Semi-Dedicated VPS - Enjoy performance to the fullest extent. | 40% OFF promo
    Prague, CZ location coming soon!

• angstromangstrom Member
    edited May 13

@raindog308 said: The term VM goes back to the 60s and the IBM mainframe.

Yeah, "VM" is a much older and more general term than "VPS". See also "JVM", for "Java Virtual Machine", which is fairly removed from the notion of a VPS. Some people even think of Emacs as a VM. :-)

Edit: Which is why I prefer "VPS" for the use of a VM as a server.

"[T]he number of UNIX installations has grown to 16, with more expected." (K. Thompson & D. M. Ritchie, UNIX Programmer's Manual, 3ed, 1973)

• ShazanShazan Provider

I prefer VPS.

• deankdeank Member

I prefer free.

Thanked by 2default Saragoldfarb

A positive review isn't interesting and doesn't grab attention of fools. A negative review is more effective for LET crowd.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Provider

What @willie said.

India VPS with IPv6 | Taiwan VPS | Japan VPS (SoftBank DC) | South Korea VPS | Hong Kong VPS | Lithuania VPS | Serbia VPS with IPv6 | Poland VPS with IPv6

• emghemgh Member

$7

Thanked by 1deank
  • I prefer vms

Founder, IDGAF Group. No Seriously! Subsidiaries: NeedSomeIT? - Tectrix Host - Tectrix Cloud - DYSH Labs. We consult on Anything related to tech!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Top Provider

Will always be a VM to me but I adopted VPS, I dont think I could manage another significant change :)

• quickquick Member

Debian, thanks.

• Goat

A dreb l7did ma7édou skhoun ! - Flan | تناكت، ليت راحت في تبي

• ehabehab Member

i don't use or have accepted Slice / Droplet terms.... so a vps works fine for me if i am renting. a vm is what i'd use if i run my own proxmox in with my own hardware.

• do not prepay > 1 year and check for reviews/support
    • only use monthly from a provider operating < 1 year
  • softxnewssoftxnews Member

What about vServer?

• MultiMulti Member

For me VPS and VM is pretty much the same. Usually I call it VPS. In Germany we tend to call it vServer.

• key900key900 Member, Provider

I called it Box :)

*LetBox.Com Make it Simple, Pure NVMe + Block Storage Boxes!.
  • jsgjsg Member

I understand VM to be more general than VPS. A VM is a virtual machine of any kind for any purpose whereas a VPS is a "virtual dedicated server" in the general context of hosting. So a VPS must have network connectivity while a VM may or may not have it.

A node is the hardware on which a VPS runs.

A slice besides being marketing bullshit is just another term for VPS hinting at the VPS having quasi-dedicated resources and a droplet is the result of defecating from a marketing head.

"cloud" once meant a usually high amount of "fluid" or versatile VPS and hints at a more general virtualization of hardware including networking hardware.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member

I tend to use VM or virtual server. VPS always seemed an odd one as not all are used for personal use lol.

I will sometimes just refer them as a server - runs it's own OS (KVM etc), own network connection, etc, and it saves explaning virtualisation to people lol.

• FHRFHR Member, Provider

VPS – the P does not mean "personal" but "private"

Thanked by 1Aidan

SkylonHost | Affordable Semi-Dedicated VPS - Enjoy performance to the fullest extent. | 40% OFF promo
    Prague, CZ location coming soon!

• Mujo_ZoneMujo_Zone Member

@teamacc said:
    Cloud = anything that you name cloud.

LOL.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

it is Instance :) nothing more than a Instance

The Brand New drServer.net |||
    4 Cores - 4GB RAM - 90GB R10 SSD for only 7 USD with promo code LET-it-GO

• corbpiecorbpie Member

Droplet, cloud and node to me is shapeable, instant deploy and destroy with hourly billing.

grape

• doghouchdoghouch Moderator

@FHR said:
    VPS – the P does not mean "personal" but "private"

Ironic because OpenVZ containers can be accessed by a single CD command. (cd /vz/private/(container_id))

AKA VZ != private

Thanked by (0):

• bapbap Member
    edited May 14

@raindog308 said:
    The first box I ever got was..

The first box I ever got was "an conditional - not free" 128 mb (was it openvz?) vps from h*st1free aka haph*st.
    oh.. good old days..

So...your preference?

cloud/droplet

• CConnerCConner Member, Provider

Don't know why a VPS is "private" when we don't use the term "dedicated private server". Would prefer Virtual Server.

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member

@raindog308 said:
    I’ve heard a few vendors referring to a “cloud of clouds”. Made me instantly despise them.

Probably they should start naming them properly, e.g.
    cirrocumulus, cirrus, cumulonimbus, and etc.

For me I'd go with VPS any time.

Thanked by 1Claverhouse

© 2011-2018 eLohkCalb

• jackbjackb Member, Provider

@CConner said:
    Don't know why a VPS is "private" when we don't use the term "dedicated private server". Would prefer Virtual Server.

Virtual server/host could be confused with shared hosting?

Afterburst - Awesome OpenVZ&KVM VPS in US+EU

• williewillie Member

Virtual Private Server was analogous to Virtual Private Network, I thought. But it seems like something of a lowend term. It was/is something that you rent by the month instead of colo'ing a box someplace (at the time I first started seeing VPS, there weren't many dedi hosts and colo was basically what you did).

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member

FHR said: VPS – the P does not mean "personal" but "private"

Reading that again I dunno why I thought it meant personal, that just sounds wrong.

• RadiRadi Member, Provider

VM or VPS. The other terms are just too specific to certain providers.

Thanked by 1imok

VikingLayer now offers VPS resource pools. Ask me about them today. :)

• angstromangstrom Member

I've always understood "private" (in "VPS") as alluding to the fact any guest server is isolated from other guest servers on the same host system, so you don't/can't know who your neighbors are, and nor do/can they.

"[T]he number of UNIX installations has grown to 16, with more expected." (K. Thompson & D. M. Ritchie, UNIX Programmer's Manual, 3ed, 1973)

• andikliveandiklive Member

i just call it VM when its KVM vps, and Container when its OpenVZ vps. Node for me kind of larger Bare Metal/Dedicated Server hardware.

• jetchiragjetchirag Member

raindog308 said: I prefer passionate replies from those willing to argue why all others are wrong and make lifelong enemies in the process.

Neat.

• imokimok Member

@Radi said:
    VM or VPS. The other terms are just too specific to certain providers.

I agree. Is there anyone calling "droplet" to a w00th05t1n9 server?

Janitor @ Netflix

• andikliveandiklive Member

@imok said:
    I agree. Is there anyone calling "droplet" to a w00th05t1n9 server?

i though droplet is for DO thing and slice for BuyVM thing :)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Provider

I use VPS outside of my day job. I tend to only use VM when referring specifically to VMware to avoid confusion because people in the VMware bubble either refuse to acknowledge or don't realize there are other virtualization options out there. LoL.

-Joe @ SecureDragon - LEB's Powered by Wyvern in FL, CO, CA, IL, NJ, GA, OR, TX, and AZ
    Need free hosting? Get AFreeCloud
  • raindog308raindog308 Moderator

imok said: Is there anyone calling "droplet" to a w00th05t1n9 server?

I think we should piss off DO by referring to all VPSes as "droplets".

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Provider

In general conversation when referring to virtual infrastructure I refer to VMs. In terms of marketing and when discussing customer boxes I'll refer to them as VPS' as that seems to be the generally accepted 'industry standard' term.

Node will always refer to a hypervisor in my mind.

Thanked by 1Falzo

VPS, Shared Hosting, Routed Subnets and more - https://freerangecloud.com

• defaultdefault Member

I prefer the good old fashioned name: VPS. I understand the marketing attempts of providers to define their product as it would be something unique, but this can also get in their way when bringing clients that do not understand what it is.

Coming up next: slices of actual cloud.

Thanked by 1Falzo

☆ Black Friday 2017 winner: Veesp.com (aff).

• I usually go by VM. Vps when I'm talking to less tech savvy people and cloud when I want the suits to start drooling :)

• emreemre Member

openvz / lxc = VPS (container) (shared kernel)

KVM /XEN/ VMWARE = VDS ( Full hardware virtualization) (own kernel)

that's what I prefer and use when selling services to my own customers.

• I prefer using the term 'VPS'.

This is the term I believe most people can understand easily without confusion.