Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS? VM? Node? Slice? Droplet? Which term do you prefer?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS? VM? Node? Slice? Droplet? Which term do you prefer?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Originally I heard “VPS” and have used it ever since, although the big cloud guys like to use VM instead. The term VM goes back to the 60s and the IBM mainframe.

The first box I ever got was a 64mb from vpslink...and I see they’re still selling that plan for $7.95/mo LOL. Anyway, back then I bought a “VPS” so I’ve tended to use the term since.

Node sounds cool. But also kinda slangy. And I hear it more for the underlying physical machine.

Slice and Droplet and such are marketingspeak of course. The former sounds like pizza and the latter like some kind of fetish. (j/k...I do like and recommend both BuyVM and DO).

So...your preference? I prefer passionate replies from those willing to argue why all others are wrong and make lifelong enemies in the process.

Comments

• williewillie Member

Node = hardware

VPS = any sort of server container (openvz, kvm etc. all count)

VM = virtual machine, i.e. runs its own OS, like kvm (not openvz)

Cloud VM = somewhat vague but connotes hourly billing, floating IPs, a working API to acquire and release servers, various ancillary services, and enough hardware stock that you can (usually) get servers whenever you want them.

Slice, droplet, linode = terms used by particular providers.

• teamaccteamacc Member

Cloud = anything that you name cloud.

Thanked by 2jaypeesmith BharatB
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I’ve heard a few vendors referring to a “cloud of clouds”. Made me instantly despise them.

Thanked by 2willie eLohkCalb
  • acidpukeacidpuke Member
    edited May 2018

Personally VPS for me Virtual Private Server, pretty much is spot on.

I do like slice and droplet but I consider that more marketing or brand recognition.

Edit...Another term I just remembered hearing VDS not used often, Virtual Dedicated Server.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

LPAR sounds cooler than any of the above terms.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited May 2018

@raindog308 said: The term VM goes back to the 60s and the IBM mainframe.

Yeah, "VM" is a much older and more general term than "VPS". See also "JVM", for "Java Virtual Machine", which is fairly removed from the notion of a VPS. Some people even think of Emacs as a VM. :-)

Edit: Which is why I prefer "VPS" for the use of a VM as a server.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

VM.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

I prefer VPS.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I prefer free.

Thanked by 2default Saragoldfarb
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

What @willie said.

• emghemgh Member

$7

Thanked by 1deank
  • I prefer vms

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Obviously,CLOOOOUD.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Will always be a VM to me but I adopted VPS, I dont think I could manage another significant change :)

• quickquick Member

Debian, thanks.

• Goat

• ehabehab Member

i don't use or have accepted Slice / Droplet terms.... so a vps works fine for me if i am renting. a vm is what i'd use if i run my own proxmox in with my own hardware.

• What about vServer?

• MultiMulti Member

For me VPS and VM is pretty much the same. Usually I call it VPS. In Germany we tend to call it vServer.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

I called it Box :)

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I understand VM to be more general than VPS. A VM is a virtual machine of any kind for any purpose whereas a VPS is a "virtual dedicated server" in the general context of hosting. So a VPS must have network connectivity while a VM may or may not have it.

A node is the hardware on which a VPS runs.

A slice besides being marketing bullshit is just another term for VPS hinting at the VPS having quasi-dedicated resources and a droplet is the result of defecating from a marketing head.

"cloud" once meant a usually high amount of "fluid" or versatile VPS and hints at a more general virtualization of hardware including networking hardware.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

I tend to use VM or virtual server. VPS always seemed an odd one as not all are used for personal use lol.

I will sometimes just refer them as a server - runs it's own OS (KVM etc), own network connection, etc, and it saves explaning virtualisation to people lol.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

VPS – the P does not mean "personal" but "private"

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @teamacc said:
    Cloud = anything that you name cloud.

LOL.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

it is Instance :) nothing more than a Instance

• corbpiecorbpie Member

Droplet, cloud and node to me is shapeable, instant deploy and destroy with hourly billing.

• @FHR said:
    VPS – the P does not mean "personal" but "private"

Ironic because OpenVZ containers can be accessed by a single CD command. (cd /vz/private/(container_id))

AKA VZ != private

• bapbap Member
    edited May 2018

@raindog308 said:
    The first box I ever got was..

The first box I ever got was "an conditional - not free" 128 mb (was it openvz?) vps from h*st1free aka haph*st.
    oh.. good old days..

So...your preference?

cloud/droplet

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Don't know why a VPS is "private" when we don't use the term "dedicated private server". Would prefer Virtual Server.

• @raindog308 said:
    I’ve heard a few vendors referring to a “cloud of clouds”. Made me instantly despise them.

Probably they should start naming them properly, e.g.
    cirrocumulus, cirrus, cumulonimbus, and etc.

For me I'd go with VPS any time.

Thanked by 1Claverhouse