Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

SoYouStart.com (Bad review)
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

SoYouStart.com (Bad review)

AleksZAleksZ Member
edited August 11 in Reviews

So I decided to try out dedicated stuff for my Kubernetes Lab and ordered

E3-SSD-2-32 Server - E3-1225v2 -32GB - SoftRaid 3x120GB SSD

Now what`s wrong:

They promise:

16 free IPs -NOPE, works only if you have some company, pay for setup, etc, etc

Support - NOPE, just none of it

ESXi 6, 6.5 - NOPE, only 5.0update1

Software RAID - NOPE, you have 3 120Gb disks, but you can do only RAID1, RAID5 is not possible, which gives you 80+ usable GB total on proxmox for example

REFUND: well still not done after 2 days, server was canceled and returned during first 12 hours

The good things:

Disks are fast: 460MB+ / 5k+ Random IOPS

Provision was done in like 3-4 minutes

Thanked by 1Clouvider

Comments

  • webiswebis Member

    True. soyoustart offers almost zero support.

  • Ho-ostHo-ost Member, Provider

    Was the IP thing indicated anywhere pre-sale? Like on TOS?

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Provider

    Fair enough, but in all fairness the review is completely unfair as all of this information was available in advance to you pre purchase.

    So "bad" not so much, "accurate", probably :)

    Thanked by 2MasonR HuntersPad
  • DrFallenDrFallen Member, Provider

    I mean the 16 IP thing is just you pay a setup fee and then yes it is free there after. You can also just order them singular if you don't have a company not that I think it super matters I can't really remember. As for support if you read enough into them you would of know they aren't exactly quick in replying. Good to see their SSDs are half decent at least compared to their hard drives I'm assuming that's raid 1?

  • teamaccteamacc Member
    edited August 11

    So you saw this:

    And didn't wonder what the * was for? Next time scroll down just a tiny bit, and youll see this:

    Software RAID - NOPE, you have 3 120Gb disks, but you can do only RAID1, RAID5 is not possible, which gives you 80+ usable GB total on proxmox for example

    Can't boot from a softraid 5 array, so your boot partition needs to be noraid or raid1.

    Yo mama so fat each of her butt-cheeks has its own /8.

  • IamIam Member
    edited August 11

    Not try to defend OVH actually but their IP is free (no monthly payment) and they advertised if we just need to paid the setup fees. Company? well just creating YourName Inc. and they won't bother.

    Raid 5 is possible using their installer but you can't creating it on /boot and / partitions.

    Support? yes lack of support if this is not hardware related problems.

    Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • Arch_LiamArch_Liam Member, Provider

    @Iam said: Not try to defend OVH actually but their IP is free (no monthly payment) and they advertised if we just need to paid the setup fees. Company? well just creating YourName Inc. and they won't bother.

    Raid 5 is possible using their installer but you can't creating it on /boot and / partitions.

    Support? yes lack of support if this is not hardware related problems.

    I like how you just casually mention forming a legal company like it's a reasonable or practical solution to an issue with a hosting provider.

    https://archhosting.net/ - Arch Hosting - Los Angeles KVM & East Coast OpenVZ starting at $5/mo.

    Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider
    edited August 11

    Haha, the service is unmanaged, looking at this review the OP has got no clue about management of server or servers. No summer host at this time from OP.

    16 free IPs -NOPE, works only if you have some company, pay for setup, etc, etc

    Google for answer as you get how the do work and how you will be able to connect them to your server as clearly indicates your ability to manage servers.

    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
    Looking for storage VPS and managed service? Check our VPS4Storage website and get 40% OFF for lifetime.
    Thanked by 1Aidan
  • IamIam Member
    edited August 11

    @Arch_Liam said:

    @Iam said: Not try to defend OVH actually but their IP is free (no monthly payment) and they advertised if we just need to paid the setup fees. Company? well just creating YourName Inc. and they won't bother.

    Raid 5 is possible using their installer but you can't creating it on /boot and / partitions.

    Support? yes lack of support if this is not hardware related problems.

    I like how you just casually mention forming a legal company like it's a reasonable or practical solution to an issue with a hosting provider.

    Well usually I just put my name on it eg. on my domain registrar :) (company or organization etc.)

    Edit: if this IP used on my summer host than I just write down its domain name.

  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider

    Forgot to mention, could someone point where on OVH is stated managed support and pro-active monitoring and response less than 30 mins with every server? Each server clearly indicates what RAID it will come with, no guess or surprise game!

    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
    Looking for storage VPS and managed service? Check our VPS4Storage website and get 40% OFF for lifetime.
    Thanked by 3MasonR Aidan Fidde
  • CConnerCConner Member, Provider

    I believe they make it very clear that they are an un-managed provider, meaning that they will refuse to help you with anything but hardware / network problems.

    Want to get a free game server? Check out the beta for the new and innovative GamingLayer Control Panel: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/129374/gaminglayer-control-panel-beta-invitation-the-all-in-one-cp-new

  • lionlion Member

    Seems like the "(Bad review)" is not about the provider.

  • CConnerCConner Member, Provider

    Change the title from "SoYouStart.com (Bad review)" to "AleksZ (Deep self reflection)"

    Want to get a free game server? Check out the beta for the new and innovative GamingLayer Control Panel: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/129374/gaminglayer-control-panel-beta-invitation-the-all-in-one-cp-new

  • MasonRMasonR Member
    edited August 11

    @AleksZ said: Now what`s wrong:

    They promise:

    16 free IPs -NOPE, works only if you have some company, pay for setup, etc, etc

    Not sure what's with the company deal, but it clearly states on the IP page (https://www.soyoustart.com/us/failover-ip.xml) that you need to pay setup fees on all IPs and the monthly charge only applies to your 17th+ IP. Not a bad dead in my opinion.

    Support - NOPE, just none of it

    You had the server for a total of 12 hours. Don't expect a huge company like OVH to have immediate resolutions to non-critical problems when they have thousands and thousands of customers. Find a smaller provider if this is an issue.

    ESXi 6, 6.5 - NOPE, only 5.0update1

    It literally says ESXi 5.0 on the environments page (https://www.soyoustart.com/us/distributions/)...

    Software RAID - NOPE, you have 3 120Gb disks, but you can do only RAID1, RAID5 is not possible, which gives you 80+ usable GB total on proxmox for example

    Why would you RAID5 with three disks? If anything I'd like to see RAID0 added to the options. And only 80 gb usable? How much are you giving to boot/swap?

    REFUND: well still not done after 2 days, server was canceled and returned during first 12 hours

    If you've ever dealt with a large company in the past, you know refunds take time. There's likely a long unnecessary approval chain for refunds, but it's something you'll just have to live with.

    I've been with SoYouStart since May and haven't had any major issues. Only had to reach out to support once for a non-critical issue and it was resolved within three hours. For the price of the hardware, unlimited bandwidth, free IPs (after setup fee), and included DDoS protection, I think you're expecting too much or at the very least should have done a little reading up on the product before purchasing.

    Thanked by 2Aidan CConner
  • Always, when in doubt, first contact SYS before you are renting the server. It is stated quite well that you are paying one time setup fees per IP. What does suck at SYS is their IP routing system. 90% of the time, the assigned IP's are not routed correctly and thus there is no internet connection sometimes. It takes them days to hours to figure out the problem is at their end.

  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider
    edited August 11

    @CConner said: Change the title from "SoYouStart.com (Bad review)" to "AleksZ (Deep self reflection)"

    It should be renamed by moderators to the following:

    "Bought SyS server and don't have a clue about it as expected fully managed service"

    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
    Looking for storage VPS and managed service? Check our VPS4Storage website and get 40% OFF for lifetime.
    Thanked by 2marrco rm_
  • citrixcitrix Member

    Lack of research prior to purchase I think...

    Even the comment around Esxi. If you look o. Specs they tell you it's not avalaible

    https://www.soyoustart.com/en/offers/143sys13.xml

  • FredQcFredQc Member

    I don't see anything bad with the points that you enumerated. Like others said, all this stuff was already mentioned on the site. Too bad, you can't read don't you?

    Side note, I have a 1650v2 with 16 IPs and it's performing flawlessly.

    Have a good day.

    Thanked by 2WebProject MasonR
  • CConnerCConner Member, Provider
    edited August 11

    Have been a customer for over 4 years and never needed their support because they are serious about their infrastructure. Maybe try a provider like Rackspace or Singlehop if you wish to use a managed provider. Be prepared to pay about 5x as much for the same hardware. Wonder why OVH is so cheap.

    Want to get a free game server? Check out the beta for the new and innovative GamingLayer Control Panel: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/129374/gaminglayer-control-panel-beta-invitation-the-all-in-one-cp-new

  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider
    edited August 12

    Be prepared to pay about 5x as much for the same hardware. Wonder why OVH is so cheap.

    This is major issue as people don't wish to pay x5 more, they try to buy the unmanaged/cheap service and trying to get full managed different way including posting BS reviews.

    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
    Looking for storage VPS and managed service? Check our VPS4Storage website and get 40% OFF for lifetime.
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider
    edited August 12

    @WebProject said:

    Be prepared to pay about 5x as much for the same hardware. Wonder why OVH is so cheap.

    This is major issue as people don't wish to pay x5 more, they try to buy the unmanaged service and trying to get full managed different way including posting BS reviews.

    That's not the only reason why OVH is so cheap. Providing zero support doesn't save as much money.

    There's a number of reasons, including cheap electricity prices in France and the fact that many investors are currently putting money in to make it fly. They will want this money back at some point so I'm waiting for the carnage once those who are 'addicted' to the cheap IP space and cheap (subsidised) hosting suddenly face reality ;-).

    Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

    Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

  • NekkiNekki Member

    @Clouvider said: There's a number of reasons, including cheap electricity prices in France and the fact that many investors are currently putting money in to make it fly. They will want this money back at some point so I'm waiting for the carnage once those who are 'addicted' to the cheap IP space and cheap hosting suddenly face reality ;-).

    The real carnage will occur when the lights go out on half of Europes seedboxes...

    'Nekki can not stand behind the penis' - Shc on Hostloc

    Thanked by 2Clouvider WebProject
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

    Transits will love the overage billing ;-). Level3 with their 100% more expensive overage included.

    Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

    Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

    Thanked by 1Arch_Liam
  • YuraYura Member

    @Clouvider said: Providing zero support doesn't save as much money.

    Wow. Pinching myself all over... Dom just said that support doesn't really cost all that much. Thanks to slave labor, nonetheless!

    Thanked by 2jarland Zerpy
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Provider

    Yura said: Dom just said that support doesn't really cost all that much.

    It really does not cost that much, set expectations in advance and be proactive both are things any good business should be doing anyway, support requirements reduce to the point of being perfectly manageable with the odd spike.

    These less than 1 year old "companies" that pop up here with employed support staff are just lazy IMO, or it's a part time gig pretending not to be so they pay some kid to look after things while they are at work.

  • @AnthonySmith said:

    Yura said: Dom just said that support doesn't really cost all that much.

    It really does not cost that much, set expectations in advance and be proactive both are things any good business should be doing anyway, support requirements reduce to the point of being perfectly manageable with the odd spike.

    These less than 1 year old "companies" that pop up here with employed support staff are just lazy IMO, or it's a part time gig pretending not to be so they pay some kid to look after things while they are at work.

    If I had a penny for every time I encountered these type of companies, I would be 50 cent by now. There are an enormous amount of companies like these preying on unsuspected victims. Trust me, support doesn't cost much when you hire some unemployed techie kid who has never worked in the industry formally with a paycheck.

    If you need help, I'm always here to help you. Just pm me with anything technical!

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Provider

    Well certainly in the budget VPS industry anyway, I would suggest 1 person should be perfectly capable of providing support for <10,000 customers as well as doing everything else.

    Just depends on your commitment level.

    Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • ethancedrikethancedrik Member
    edited August 13

    I was going to write a bunch of stuff but honestly who cares with OVH/SoYouStart/Kimsufi it's pretty much guaranteed that you'll either have an awesome experience with them or not so much, there seems to be no in between.

    I have a personal/consumer account with SoYouStart (Canada/US) and I can order IPs, they have never asked for any justification or company info.

    If you have a serious issue, I had their SoYouStart Game-4790k server in BHS, I shut mine off and couldn't powercycle it back on, I was able to call the OVH support phone number and they still helped me out, I did state that I have an OVH account as well so maybe that's why they helped me out with a SoYouStart server but yeah, that's also something you can try although they have no obligation to provide phone support to SoYouStart customers as that's not officially a support method for that site, same with Kimsufi.

  • You can upgrade esxi 5.x to 6.0 and 6.5 using ssh, so I don't know why that is a problem for you. You can also order an USB and boot the server from USB.

  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider
    edited August 13

    @Yura yeah, to provide basic response in any form, in a reasonable time of a day or two for this type of service, it doesn't cost much. It's a first line in a budget company. I'm not saying they should provide managed, but there are people who never receive responses from their tickets and it simply shows that OVH doesn't care the slightest. Even a response like 'sorry this is not included in your support plan, but we can do it for X' is better than no response ;-).

    Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

    Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

  • w3e4r5w3e4r5 Member

    disagree totally, Have been SYS and Kimsufi customer over 6 yrs. what you paid what you get. they are fully reach your payment.

  • AleksZAleksZ Member

    Finally refund goes to processing, will take about 10 business days. Anyway, this is posted to REVIEW section, so, everything is legal, right?)

  • AleksZAleksZ Member

    @citrix said: Lack of research prior to purchase I think...

    Even the comment around Esxi. If you look o. Specs they tell you it's not avalaible

    https://www.soyoustart.com/en/offers/143sys13.xml

    yeah, didn`t saw that page.

  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider

    @AleksZ said: Finally refund goes to processing, will take about 10 business days. Anyway, this is posted to REVIEW section, so, everything is legal, right?)

    Haha, you don't even get some of our comments. Who cares about everything is legal? if the issue with you not other companies service.

    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
    Looking for storage VPS and managed service? Check our VPS4Storage website and get 40% OFF for lifetime.
  • rm_rm_ Member

    this is posted to REVIEW section, so, everything is legal, right

    You have only reviewed yourself and shown us that buying and setting up a dedicated server is way beyond your competence level. Go hire an admin or use managed services.

  • I sent a support ticket asking about Esxi 6.5 on my server and how it should be able to run with no issues. It took a couple days, if I remember correctly, but they added 6.5 to the server I have with them.... Should have sent a support ticket?

  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider

    CircusMusic said: Should have sent a support ticket?

    probably it's very complicated or difficult for some people, as you can see from OP posts he couldn't find any description of server or service as he assumed that the server is proactively managed and all tickets are replied less than 30 mins.

    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
    Looking for storage VPS and managed service? Check our VPS4Storage website and get 40% OFF for lifetime.
  • YmpkerYmpker Member, Provider

    @WebProject said:

    CircusMusic said: Should have sent a support ticket?

    probably it's very complicated or difficult for some people, as you can see from OP posts he couldn't find any description of server or service as he assumed that the server is proactively managed and all tickets are replied less than 30 mins.

    Why not call them? Ive always called them and was answered promptly.

    /Signature/ https://uptime.is

    Thanked by 1WebProject
  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider

    @Ympker said:

    @WebProject said:

    CircusMusic said: Should have sent a support ticket?

    probably it's very complicated or difficult for some people, as you can see from OP posts he couldn't find any description of server or service as he assumed that the server is proactively managed and all tickets are replied less than 30 mins.

    Why not call them? Ive always called them and was answered promptly.

    I personally prefer to call companies this way get instant response and answer.

    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
    Looking for storage VPS and managed service? Check our VPS4Storage website and get 40% OFF for lifetime.
    Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member, Provider

    @WebProject said:

    @Ympker said:

    @WebProject said:

    CircusMusic said: Should have sent a support ticket?

    probably it's very complicated or difficult for some people, as you can see from OP posts he couldn't find any description of server or service as he assumed that the server is proactively managed and all tickets are replied less than 30 mins.

    Why not call them? Ive always called them and was answered promptly.

    I personally prefer to call companies this way get instant response and answer.

    Thats what Im saying.

    /Signature/ https://uptime.is

    Thanked by 1WebProject
Sign In or Register to comment.