Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoYouStart.com (Bad review)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SoYouStart.com (Bad review)

AleksZAleksZ Member
edited August 2017 in Reviews

So I decided to try out dedicated stuff for my Kubernetes Lab and ordered

E3-SSD-2-32 Server - E3-1225v2 -32GB - SoftRaid 3x120GB SSD

Now what`s wrong:

They promise:

16 free IPs -NOPE, works only if you have some company, pay for setup, etc, etc

Support - NOPE, just none of it

ESXi 6, 6.5 - NOPE, only 5.0update1

Software RAID - NOPE, you have 3 120Gb disks, but you can do only RAID1, RAID5 is not possible, which gives you 80+ usable GB total on proxmox for example

REFUND: well still not done after 2 days, server was canceled and returned during first 12 hours

The good things:

Disks are fast: 460MB+ / 5k+ Random IOPS

Provision was done in like 3-4 minutes

Thanked by 1Clouvider

Comments

• True. soyoustart offers almost zero support.

• Was the IP thing indicated anywhere pre-sale? Like on TOS?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Fair enough, but in all fairness the review is completely unfair as all of this information was available in advance to you pre purchase.

So "bad" not so much, "accurate", probably :)

Thanked by 2MasonR HuntersPad
  • I mean the 16 IP thing is just you pay a setup fee and then yes it is free there after. You can also just order them singular if you don't have a company not that I think it super matters I can't really remember. As for support if you read enough into them you would of know they aren't exactly quick in replying. Good to see their SSDs are half decent at least compared to their hard drives I'm assuming that's raid 1?

• teamaccteamacc Member
    edited August 2017

So you saw this:

And didn't wonder what the * was for? Next time scroll down just a tiny bit, and youll see this:

Software RAID - NOPE, you have 3 120Gb disks, but you can do only RAID1, RAID5 is not possible, which gives you 80+ usable GB total on proxmox for example

Can't boot from a softraid 5 array, so your boot partition needs to be noraid or raid1.

• IamIam Member
    edited August 2017

Not try to defend OVH actually but their IP is free (no monthly payment) and they advertised if we just need to paid the setup fees. Company? well just creating YourName Inc. and they won't bother.

Raid 5 is possible using their installer but you can't creating it on /boot and / partitions.

Support? yes lack of support if this is not hardware related problems.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • ArchArch Member

@Iam said:
    Not try to defend OVH actually but their IP is free (no monthly payment) and they advertised if we just need to paid the setup fees. Company? well just creating YourName Inc. and they won't bother.

Raid 5 is possible using their installer but you can't creating it on /boot and / partitions.

I like how you just casually mention forming a legal company like it's a reasonable or practical solution to an issue with a hosting provider.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2017

Haha, the service is unmanaged, looking at this review the OP has got no clue about management of server or servers. No summer host at this time from OP.

Google for answer as you get how the do work and how you will be able to connect them to your server as clearly indicates your ability to manage servers.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • IamIam Member
    edited August 2017

@Arch_Liam said:

@Iam said:

I like how you just casually mention forming a legal company like it's a reasonable or practical solution to an issue with a hosting provider.

Well usually I just put my name on it eg. on my domain registrar :) (company or organization etc.)

Edit: if this IP used on my summer host than I just write down its domain name.

Forgot to mention, could someone point where on OVH is stated managed support and pro-active monitoring and response less than 30 mins with every server? Each server clearly indicates what RAID it will come with, no guess or surprise game!

Thanked by 3MasonR Aidan Fidde
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

I believe they make it very clear that they are an un-managed provider, meaning that they will refuse to help you with anything but hardware / network problems.

• lionlion Member

Seems like the "(Bad review)" is not about the provider.

Change the title from "SoYouStart.com (Bad review)" to "AleksZ (Deep self reflection)"

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited August 2017

@AleksZ said: Now what`s wrong:

They promise:

Not sure what's with the company deal, but it clearly states on the IP page (https://www.soyoustart.com/us/failover-ip.xml) that you need to pay setup fees on all IPs and the monthly charge only applies to your 17th+ IP. Not a bad dead in my opinion.

Support - NOPE, just none of it

You had the server for a total of 12 hours. Don't expect a huge company like OVH to have immediate resolutions to non-critical problems when they have thousands and thousands of customers. Find a smaller provider if this is an issue.

ESXi 6, 6.5 - NOPE, only 5.0update1

It literally says ESXi 5.0 on the environments page (https://www.soyoustart.com/us/distributions/)...

Why would you RAID5 with three disks? If anything I'd like to see RAID0 added to the options. And only 80 gb usable? How much are you giving to boot/swap?

REFUND: well still not done after 2 days, server was canceled and returned during first 12 hours

If you've ever dealt with a large company in the past, you know refunds take time. There's likely a long unnecessary approval chain for refunds, but it's something you'll just have to live with.

I've been with SoYouStart since May and haven't had any major issues. Only had to reach out to support once for a non-critical issue and it was resolved within three hours. For the price of the hardware, unlimited bandwidth, free IPs (after setup fee), and included DDoS protection, I think you're expecting too much or at the very least should have done a little reading up on the product before purchasing.

Thanked by 2Aidan CConner
  • Always, when in doubt, first contact SYS before you are renting the server. It is stated quite well that you are paying one time setup fees per IP. What does suck at SYS is their IP routing system. 90% of the time, the assigned IP's are not routed correctly and thus there is no internet connection sometimes. It takes them days to hours to figure out the problem is at their end.

edited August 2017

@CConner said:
    Change the title from "SoYouStart.com (Bad review)" to "AleksZ (Deep self reflection)"

It should be renamed by moderators to the following:

"Bought SyS server and don't have a clue about it as expected fully managed service"

Thanked by 2marrco rm_
  • Lack of research prior to purchase I think...

Even the comment around Esxi. If you look o. Specs they tell you it's not avalaible

https://www.soyoustart.com/en/offers/143sys13.xml

• I don't see anything bad with the points that you enumerated. Like others said, all this stuff was already mentioned on the site. Too bad, you can't read don't you?

Side note, I have a 1650v2 with 16 IPs and it's performing flawlessly.

Have a good day.

Thanked by 2WebProject MasonR
    edited August 2017

Have been a customer for over 4 years and never needed their support because they are serious about their infrastructure. Maybe try a provider like Rackspace or Singlehop if you wish to use a managed provider. Be prepared to pay about 5x as much for the same hardware. Wonder why OVH is so cheap.

edited August 2017

Be prepared to pay about 5x as much for the same hardware. Wonder why OVH is so cheap.

This is major issue as people don't wish to pay x5 more, they try to buy the unmanaged/cheap service and trying to get full managed different way including posting BS reviews.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2017

@WebProject said:

Be prepared to pay about 5x as much for the same hardware. Wonder why OVH is so cheap.

This is major issue as people don't wish to pay x5 more, they try to buy the unmanaged service and trying to get full managed different way including posting BS reviews.

That's not the only reason why OVH is so cheap. Providing zero support doesn't save as much money.

There's a number of reasons, including cheap electricity prices in France and the fact that many investors are currently putting money in to make it fly. They will want this money back at some point so I'm waiting for the carnage once those who are 'addicted' to the cheap IP space and cheap (subsidised) hosting suddenly face reality ;-).

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Clouvider said:
    There's a number of reasons, including cheap electricity prices in France and the fact that many investors are currently putting money in to make it fly. They will want this money back at some point so I'm waiting for the carnage once those who are 'addicted' to the cheap IP space and cheap hosting suddenly face reality ;-).

The real carnage will occur when the lights go out on half of Europes seedboxes...

Thanked by 2Clouvider WebProject

Transits will love the overage billing ;-). Level3 with their 100% more expensive overage included.

Thanked by 1Arch
  • YuraYura Member

@Clouvider said:
    Providing zero support doesn't save as much money.

Wow. Pinching myself all over... Dom just said that support doesn't really cost all that much. Thanks to slave labor, nonetheless!

Thanked by 2jar Zerpy

Yura said: Dom just said that support doesn't really cost all that much.

It really does not cost that much, set expectations in advance and be proactive both are things any good business should be doing anyway, support requirements reduce to the point of being perfectly manageable with the odd spike.

These less than 1 year old "companies" that pop up here with employed support staff are just lazy IMO, or it's a part time gig pretending not to be so they pay some kid to look after things while they are at work.

• @AnthonySmith said:

Yura said: Dom just said that support doesn't really cost all that much.

It really does not cost that much, set expectations in advance and be proactive both are things any good business should be doing anyway, support requirements reduce to the point of being perfectly manageable with the odd spike.

These less than 1 year old "companies" that pop up here with employed support staff are just lazy IMO, or it's a part time gig pretending not to be so they pay some kid to look after things while they are at work.

If I had a penny for every time I encountered these type of companies, I would be 50 cent by now.
    There are an enormous amount of companies like these preying on unsuspected victims. Trust me, support doesn't cost much when you hire some unemployed techie kid who has never worked in the industry formally with a paycheck.

Well certainly in the budget VPS industry anyway, I would suggest 1 person should be perfectly capable of providing support for <10,000 customers as well as doing everything else.

Just depends on your commitment level.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited August 2017

I was going to write a bunch of stuff but honestly who cares with OVH/SoYouStart/Kimsufi it's pretty much guaranteed that you'll either have an awesome experience with them or not so much, there seems to be no in between.

I have a personal/consumer account with SoYouStart (Canada/US) and I can order IPs, they have never asked for any justification or company info.

If you have a serious issue, I had their SoYouStart Game-4790k server in BHS, I shut mine off and couldn't powercycle it back on, I was able to call the OVH support phone number and they still helped me out, I did state that I have an OVH account as well so maybe that's why they helped me out with a SoYouStart server but yeah, that's also something you can try although they have no obligation to provide phone support to SoYouStart customers as that's not officially a support method for that site, same with Kimsufi.

• You can upgrade esxi 5.x to 6.0 and 6.5 using ssh, so I don't know why that is a problem for you. You can also order an USB and boot the server from USB.

edited August 2017

@Yura yeah, to provide basic response in any form, in a reasonable time of a day or two for this type of service, it doesn't cost much. It's a first line in a budget company. I'm not saying they should provide managed, but there are people who never receive responses from their tickets and it simply shows that OVH doesn't care the slightest. Even a response like 'sorry this is not included in your support plan, but we can do it for X' is better than no response ;-).