Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeking a low cost mail server service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seeking a low cost mail server service

Setting up and managing a mail server is a more work than I care to do. Thus, I was quite pleased to find mxRoute - the pricing for their service is very reasonable. However, there have been more than a few service outages, including a multi-hour one when I has half way around the world from home on a business trip and needing the service to be working. My comment to the support desk was somewhat heated, and the owner/operator (who is somewhat thin-skinned) is cancelling my account.

So, I am looking for a replacement. We need two 'real' email accounts, about a dozen or so aliases, POP3 support, IMAP support, user configurable anti-spam (aside: mxRoute's settings are rather draconian and I know that valid emails are not getting through) and webmail (preferably Horde). Most importantly - we need a service that does not get caught by spam filters regularly, which means that the majority of the low-cost, shared hosting providers are out.

Can you offer some recommendations? Thanks.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2017

groston said: However, there have been more than a few service outages, including a multi-hour one

This is not factually true. Webmail was not functional for a bit and there were some cases of minor outbound delivery delays, but there have been no full outages of your service. During that time any other email client on your computer or mobile device would have functioned without issue.

Service is being terminated politely with 1 month's notice, and a FULL refund, due to this:

Your goddamned service is not working
    Totally unacceptable! I am on a business trip half way around the world and you are fucking with my ability to work.

Yes, I am beyond pissed off.

This is why I outlined support expectations here: https://billing.mxroute.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=13

I think that overall the issue was handled very politely, as I said in the support ticket:

Hey there,

I understand. I'm sorry about the trouble and I am currently working to solve the problem. I just don't like people being rude to me. Life is too short. I'll follow up on May 19 to see if you've had time to migrate your data out.

Kind Regards,
    Jarland Donnell

As a small business owner, I simply don't have to deal with it. I recommend Google Apps as small businesses are less likely to find your support language to be worth the amount paid.

• I've not heard complaints about MXroute, they sound good to me. :) However, there are other companies. And I've got excellent mail as part of a shared hosting deal. That might also be an option for you, and you get web site space as an extra then. These guys give you 1000 mail boxes (plus the web space, of course) for $4.99/mo. I've got another account, but the email service is the same and I can say it's been solid for the 10 years I've been using them.

• FoulFoul Member

jarland said: Service is being terminated politely with 1 month's notice, and a FULL refund, due to this:

This is why I love you Jar.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

groston said: Can you offer some recommendations? Thanks.

Your post doesn't match the subject. If you're looking for a service with 100% availability and advanced features like a configurable spam filter, a low cost mail service isn't the right thing for you.

@Foul said:

jarland said: Service is being terminated politely with 1 month's notice, and a FULL refund, due to this:

<3

I think it's absolutely vital that if you choose not to do business with someone, you owe them a full refund.

• @jarland said:

@Foul said:

<3

I think it's absolutely vital that if you choose not to do business with someone, you owe them a full refund.

Agreed.

I've heard a "fuck you. you work for me so get back to work" so I know what pretentious little shits are like as well. Refunds never felt better.

Thanked by 1jar
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

'Thin-skinned'.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • @Nekki said:
    'Thin-skinned'.

I'm thick-skinned, now I shall start my shameless offer begging thread

• brycebryce Member

This thread actually makes me want to use mxroute. The questions is though: Why UK and not NL or Germany?

@bryce said:
    This thread actually makes me want to use mxroute. The questions is though: Why UK and not NL or Germany?

<3

Primarily due to interest in the product from the location:

Next expansion will be Australia based on this data.

• Next expansion will be Australia based on this data.

@jarland YES that would be awesome!

• I have an account with https://www.servermx.com/ and it satisfies all of OP's requirements except perhaps the user-configurable antispam: it's possible to tweak some of the rules, but I don't know how effective it is.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

Where did OP go!? Don't you love when rudeness is met with politeness.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

bryce said: Why UK and not NL or Germany?

I think that's planned after the Abu Dhabi expansion.

I don't even know the origin of that joke but it's still funny.

jarland said: Yes, I am beyond pissed off.

See, you thought he was pissed off like he was here, or maybe here. But no, go WAY OVER THERE. See that? He's beyond even that. THAT'S how pissed off he is.

It's pretty serious.

brueggus said: Your post doesn't match the subject. If you're looking for a service with 100% availability and advanced features like a configurable spam filter, a low cost mail service isn't the right thing for you.

Yeah no shit.

groston said: I has half way around the world from home on a business trip and needing the service to be working

...and you lost millions, yadda yadda. If your email is so vital - and maybe it legitimately is - why aren't you using gmail.com or outlook.com ?

• DamianDamian Member
    edited May 2017

I think what's more disappointing in this situation is that conditions have existed where you've had to write a document to specify "please treat us like the human beings we are".

Welcome to 2017 and equality and fair treatment for {insert any group of your choice here} except for human beings working for a company.

MikeA said: Where did OP go!?

Looking over his account history, looks like he only shows up to complain.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Damian said: Welcome to 2017 and equality and fair treatment for {insert any group of your choice here} except for human beings working for a company.

Or maybe the few rude people are just more noticeable than the hundreds of other clients he has that don't complain and don't treat him poorly.

• frkfrk Member
    edited May 2017

If you need absolute reliability (especially if you need it for business) go with Google Apps.

• mgilangmgilang Member

yeah, used GApps instead for your half world business trip.

pick two.

• YuraYura Member

@HackedServer said:
    Or maybe the few rude people are just more noticeable than the hundreds of other clients he has that don't complain and don't treat him poorly.

Sadly, yes.

@frk said:
    If you need absolute reliability (especially if you need it for business) go with Google Apps.

and

@mgilang said:
    yeah, used GApps instead for your half world business trip.

"image"

pick two.

@Jarland (and status page) says there was no interruption of service. No outage. Minor hiccup with webmail interface doesn't warrant you calling MxRoute unreliable or bad.

• sanvitsanvit Member

Well, I've always found MXroute's support really helpful and polite... :)

Anyway if the email is mission-critical, yeah, use Google Apps. If your business is not worth $10 spending on GApps, try yandex mail.

• @jarland

What software does MXRoute use? I can't seem to find it on the homepage (or I'm just blind), my current one with my provider uses the OX App Suite, does MXRoute use it as well?

@TheRealMakan said:
    @jarland

What software does MXRoute use? I can't seem to find it on the homepage (or I'm just blind), my current one with my provider uses the OX App Suite, does MXRoute use it as well?

Frontend is cPanel and the webmail clients it provides. For now. I've focused heavily on customizing the backend, and I'm slowly working now on replacing the frontend.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@jarland It would be great if MXroute supported rainloop... :(

Thanked by 2jgillich jar
    edited May 2017

@sanvit said:

Agreed. I would need to create a config file for every user domain as rainloop was designed to be more of a personal web-based email client than something like roundcube, but it is technically possible to do. I just need to script it. There's some complexity to it, like how to handle a domain if it exists on two servers. I'd need to consider localdomain entry + MX records and find the best balance to weigh the two.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@jarland said:

@sanvit said:

Agreed. I would need to create a config file for every user domain as rainloop was designed to be more of a personal web-based email client than something like roundcube, but it is technically possible to do. I just need to script it. There's some complexity to it, like how to handle a domain if it exists on two servers. I'd need to consider localdomain entry + MX records and find the best balance to weigh the two.

Well, you could do this...

5NiI.png

Thanked by 2jar marrco

@sanvit said:

@jarland said:

@sanvit said:

5NiI.png

It accepts wild cards? I'll be damned...

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@jarland said:

@sanvit said:

@jarland said:

@sanvit said:

5NiI.png

It accepts wild cards? I'll be damned...

Yup, currently using it for my personal mail server with ~5 domains and works great :)

Thanked by 3jar TheOnlyDK marrco
  • brycebryce Member

@jarland said:

@bryce said:

<3

Interest here in Switzerland, Netherlands or Germany.

• iqbaliqbal Member

So, I am looking for a replacement. We need two 'real' email accounts, about a dozen or so aliases, POP3 support, IMAP support, user configurable anti-spam (aside: mxRoute's settings are rather draconian and I know that valid emails are not getting through) and webmail (preferably Horde).

>

Maybe you should try zoho.com?