Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

QuadIX/Volumedrive downtime... again - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

QuadIX/Volumedrive downtime... again

1234568»

Comments

• @sambling said:
    Must have put up their pricing.

Yeah, made a change to try and upsell it. I have no problems with updated pricing, but they need to update their advertising to reflect that change. You can't advertise 24 threads (dual x5650) for $47.95 and then tell them "oh it's actually $20 more for the other 12 threads".

Thanked by 1sambling
  • samblingsambling Member
    edited January 2016

qps said: There is a recurring cost to the additional power consumed by the CPU, so a setup fee probably doesn't really work in this instance. The X5650 CPUs are 95W TDP each, so they do eat quite a bit of power.

>
    Absolutely but I suspect they're simply in need of some extra cash (for overheads) rather than the cost of leasing their hardware or the power cost going up that much.

mikeyur said: Yeah, made a change to try and upsell it. I have no problems with updated pricing, but they need to update their advertising to reflect that change. You can't advertise 24 threads (dual x5650) for $47.95 and then tell them "oh it's actually $20 more for the other 12 threads".

>

100% agree. I am completely turned off by false advertising or "clickbait" thread titles. Titles such as this one from today on WHT: ██ Servers from $39! SSD & 32GB RAM SALE! 2015 Sector Performance Awarded Provider ██. $39 server was an 4GB Ram Atom SATA. Titles should simply mention, briefly, the best deal in the offering.

• mike0000mike0000 Member
    edited January 2016

@sambling said: I suspect they're simply in need of some extra cash (for overheads)

Or to make up for the customers they keep losing to power & network outages ;)

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

sambling said: 100% agree. I am completely turned off by false advertising or "clickbait" thread titles. Titles such as this one from today on WHT: ██ Servers from $39! SSD & 32GB RAM SALE! 2015 Sector Performance Awarded Provider ██. $39 server was an 4GB Ram Atom SATA. Titles should simply mention, briefly, the best deal in the offering.

Agree with this 100% Part of why I love LET is offers can't have stupid fucking titles like WHT does. only $19.95 (First month then $209.99 recurring.

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited January 2016

volumedrive said: We will also be releasing in the new year a "Delimeter Refugee Sale" with better service / spec / price point..

Its New Year now, when is this 'Delimeter (sic) Refugee Sale' happening?

I've held back on ours but I am going to have to release it this week if nothing is happening.

Thanked by 1Kris
  • AutoSnipeAutoSnipe Member
    edited January 2016

Trust me @MarkTurner.. they aint got nothing on Delimiter :-P I dare say Delimiter doesn't have the same level of ineptness they showed in ~2 months of service, not that I have a service with Delimiter, but know a lot of people that do.

• 2 weeks setup
    • Triple Invoices
    • Asked for IPv6 Subnet in order form... didn't receive and got told to stop *bumping* ticket (once every 3 weeks about it)
    • Asked for BGP Session (took ~1 month for them to actually do this part).. they announced IPs Directly under their ASN instead
    • Told them about them announcing and they said they would fix it.. 2 weeks later, sent them a official notice because my IPs were "hijacked" by their ASN. this seemed to have sparked them to actually do something
    • 1 week to reinstall Debian (Non-IPMI Server)
    • Downtime..
    • Some more downtime...
  • AutoSnipe said: not that I have a service with Delimiter, but know a lot of people that do.

We need to change that - what can we do to move you over?

Thanked by 2perennate ATHK
  • sinsin Member

MarkTurner said: We need to change that - what can we do to move you over?

hookers and cocaine with each server!

• @MarkTurner said:
    I've held back on ours but I am going to have to release it this week if nothing is happening.

SHOTS FIRED

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Just don't make too many complaints or they will accidentally wipe your server.

• hawc said: Just don't make too many complaints or they will accidentally wipe your server.

Am I the first jumping out, saying "I dont fxxking care"?

• @BlakeK said:
    Am I the first jumping out, saying "I dont fxxking care"?

If you don't care then don't read the thread?

• IThinkUFailed said: If you don't care then don't read the thread?

So a non-VD client is not welcome to read the thread? huh?

• Skiddies don't care when they wipe the server, easy to install their crap again.

Good 'ol VD, where lack of BCP38 is a feature, not an oversight!

Thanked by 1DataWagon

Not all VD customers are skiddies... Some people stupidly (like me) had/have production things running. Moved all that stuff to OVH and haven't looked back.

Thanked by 1Kris
  • hawc said: Not all VD customers are skiddies... Some people stupidly (like me) had/have production things running. Moved all that stuff to OVH and haven't looked back.

Sorry, should have made that active VolumeDrive customers :)

edited January 2016

Come on then @VolumeDrive - you thought you could take on the big boys with a Delimiter refugee sale. I note the silence... Man up and make that "Delimiter Refugee Sale" you promised.

Man up, show some balls and provide us a sale

Thanked by 2MarkTurner netomx
  • @BlakeK said:
    So a non-VD client is not welcome to read the thread? huh?

You said you didn't care for the thread contents so my response was to that. If you didn't enjoy the thread to start then why continue reading? Unless I misunderstood what you don't care about, if so, sorry I guess?

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2016

hawc said: Come on then @VolumeDrive - you thought you could take on the big boys with a Delimiter refugee sale. I note the silence... Man up and make that "Delimiter Refugee Sale" you promised.

Man up, show some balls and provide us a sale

Not that I care one way or another as I would use neither but @volumedrive said.

volumedrive said: We will also be releasing in the new year a "Delimeter Refugee Sale" with better service / spec / price point..

We are 16 days into the new year, plenty of time "in the new year" left.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I wouldn't buy one but I'm interested in what they come up with.

• For Immediate Release

Delimiter has decided to follow the lead of many of the European and North American nations to open its doors to refugees.

Michael Yurechko, sales manager of Delimiter said 'We can't just standby and allow these atrocities to continue. When I read the uptime reports I find myself in tears every morning over my cornflakes. We have to take action, so as of today I have instructed my minions to setup QuadIXRefugees.com so that those poor refugees can apply for asylum at Delimiter.’

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

mikeyur said: QuadIXRefugees.com

• mikeyur said: Michael Yurechko, sales manager of Delimiter said 'We can't just standby and allow these atrocities to continue. When I read the uptime reports I find myself in tears every morning over my cornflakes. We have to take action, so as of today I have instructed my minions to setup QuadIXRefugees.com so that those poor refugees can apply for asylum at Delimiter.’

I love it. And before QuadIX / VD gets up in arms, they're 100% in the clear.

After working for a decade for a lawyer, I'll go ahead and list how they're both in the right on Fair Use and for the domain, should you get UDRP trigger-happy. When it comes to Fair Use, should it go to trial, they are not boiler-plate suits.

Mainly four factors will be considered, with a few extra I'll outline for you:

Four Factors for Fair Use:
    http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/four-factors/

Has the material you have taken from the original work been transformed by adding new expression or meaning?

Yes, added new meaning by offering an escape from said original work, transformative from original.

Was value added to the original by creating new information, new aesthetics, new insights, and understandings?

Yes, offers information on how to avoid further downtime and service degradation from said original work.

The less you take, the more likely that your copying will be excused as a fair use.

Only used their crappy name, no logos, etc. They didn't go 'Full Monty' like I have and copied an entire website. (can get murky in such a case)

Fair use involves subjective judgments & often affected by factors such as a judge or jury’s personal sense of right or wrong.

Sense of who's right and wrong in this case? Started with VD going after Delimiter with a hollow threat in a feeble attempt to smoke shield their downtime and abhorrent reliability. Replying with a deal in defense would not be seen as malicious, far from it.

In a parody, for example, the parodist transforms the original by holding it up to ridicule.

Nail in coffin. Satire, parody, ridicule within the law. Its brilliant.

Next, incase they think they have a popsicle's chance in hell with UDRP, here is why they will lose, and likely end up paying a lawyer to find out they have no legal standing for remedy, even in light of laws changed in mid-2015, specifically the 'confusingly similar' element.

This last clause about tarnishing a trademark has been interpreted to mean that the domain owner is seeking to destroy the brand’s reputation through lies, misquotes, etc. If a brand owners suffers harm due to its actions, which are being criticized on a domain name, that is not prohibited.

QuadIX has suffered harm directly due to their own actions, which are being criticized on the domain bearing such, making it within the law. QuadIX offers unreliable services which often occur in downtime due to:
    i. Poor infrastructure
    ii. Possibly understaffed "lights out" location
    **iii. Non removal of 'booters' or 'stress testing' tools on their network, which by nature cause packet loss.

It also held that “[h]onest and legitimate fair-use criticism does not constitute tarnishment”.

Nothing being tarnished about QuadIX here. No claims were made beyond analysis of public 3rd party data, uptime reports in this case, which is sans opinion.

Third, the domain name has been registered and is being used in bad faith.

Will not meet all 3 elements of the UDRP test, which are required. It's not used in bad faith in attempt to confuse users, missing the 'confusingly similar' element.

Figured I'd save the little squirts at VolumeDrive / QuadIX a call to their lawyer, as I'm sure while he will be happy to take the case, it will be at an hourly rate. Money you should be using on a redundant uplink. Or a network admin to implement BCP38. Or lease bills to avoid a second 'datacenter upgrade'

Finally, the law is very much against you, and your 'representative' should think twice about writing a check they're unable to cash.

Back to the snow-mines, thought I'd chime in though, as I am loving it.

Huge fan of cheap viral marketing, and huge hate of ISPs who don't implement BCP38 as a feature.

Not to throw salt in the wound if he's reading, but I am loving this post-Steve era Delimiter.

Thanked by 2MarkTurner lazyt
  • Kris said: Not to throw salt in the wound if he's reading, but I am loving this post-Steve era Delimiter.

I totally agree, nice to see Delimiter properly represented

Thanked by 1lazyt
  • There is just one solution:

Thanked by 2sin Kris