Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World Backup Day
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

World Backup Day

AsimAsim Member
edited March 2012 in General

http://www.worldbackupday.com/

31st March is World Backup Day, do keep backups!! they are very important

Get backup solutions from @mitgiB , @KuJoe or @Francisco .... people can add more to this list (if they are running some promo for the day, im unaware of it ... if they ARE do link here please)

All of the above are unique solutions on their own, all are raid protected, some are OpenVZ, some restrict the content and apps you can run on it etc etc

Bottomline: Backups are important, they should be part of your VPS/dedi fleet regardless of how unimportant your data may seem. It can save you hours!!!!

Thanked by 4netomx u4ia Andri seikan

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Asim said: some are Raid protected

Well I hope they all are >_> I know tim's is, assuming kujoe's is also RAID5 or something of the sort.

• The majority of everything you just linked to has no stock. But don't let that stop the circlejerk.

@Legendlink said: Just a coincidence?

Anonymous Threatens to Attack the Internet Sat., March 31

A shame they don't know about anycast.

@subigo said: The majority of everything you just linked to has no stock. But don't let that stop the circlejerk.

If you guys offer a storage plan or know someone that does, by all means, bring it up. There's a lot of demand for 'em around these parts.

Francisco

• AsimAsim Member

@subigo said: The majority of everything you just linked to has no stock. But don't let that stop the circlejerk.

Well SD has stock but thats not the point, the point is either you are using Amazon S3 or something else, keep backups

I do hope that @mitgiB and @Francisco come up with a plan to have some stock tomorrow

• I download everything on my VPS that's updated and sync it to 4x2TB Raid 6 drives on my local network.

I also backup my computers there too. I don't trust other host with my data.

• AsimAsim Member

@Francisco said: If you guys offer a storage plan or know someone that does, by all means, bring it up. There's a lot of demand for 'em around these parts.

+1, feel free to share any other LEB provider who offers backup plans

• @Francisco said: There's a lot of demand for 'em around these parts.

I didn't get that feeling from my posting earlier this week regarding backup/storage plans here: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/2012/storagebackup-vps-plans

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said: assuming kujoe's is also RAID5 or something of the sort.

We're using RAID5 with 1 hot-spare (would have gone RAID6 but the controller card doesn't support it so that's why the hot-spare).

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Well, talking of backup you may be interested on R1Soft CDP to backup dedi, kvm, vmware and xen hvm. Using the promotional code R150REC you can get a 50% recurring.
    For example one agent and 200GB of space will be $25/mo

https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?a=add&pid=17

:)

• AsimAsim Member

@Damian well there is a market for Backup plans BUT the issue is people do not care to spend money on it. And when the host runs away with their money and the service, they come here crying :D

Offer a backup plan and im interested too

@KuJoe nice!! keep up the good work

• AsimAsim Member

@prometeus cool but too expensive. I rather install amazon s3 library and connect to amazon s3 to push backups then use R1Soft

by the way a 10GB backup on s3 costs me $0.33/mo .... pretty cheap

• AsimAsim Member

Ok, so now we have four providers offering Backup VPSes (the fourth one is @prometeus ... updating post)

• @Asim said: come up with a plan to have some stock tomorrow

Not likely, stockpiling cash for a different idea for next month

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @Asim: I was planning on offering it billed as actual usage.. probably something like 10 gigabytes for $2 per month, then 5 cents per gigabyte after that. The thread derailed into "I can get zillions of terabytes at this provider for eighty cents per month!" so I've dropped it for now.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2012

@Asim said: I rather install amazon s3 library and connect to amazon s3

I think they are different solution. I have cdp run 3/4 time a day on each shared hosting server and I can recover files from every snapshot for weeks. Today a restored files for a defaced site getting them a few hours before the defacement.
    You can also integrate restore in cpanel to allow recover to users. :)

Thanked by 1Asim
  • Honestly, if your backups are important, I wouldn't be putting them on any low-end provider of any kind. I've said it before, but you can get $25-30/month servers from WSI with plenty of storage space. If your data isn't worth $30/month, just use an external drive at home.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • AsimAsim Member

@mitgiB Ok, building a secret project ... are you? :)

@Damian well, I always listen to everybody and do what I want to do. Just recently I started off with a dedi server and installed KVM virtualization with SolusVM ontop just to experiment with it and see how I can benefit from it, still continuing the dedi even though most people in this very community asked me to go with cheaper options and some even proposed not to do that (and they were right, it was just investment with no return). The point is ....... Don't let anyone drive your business plan, you have a good idea, think and rethink over it and then shoot it out. You should have the resources to keep it running for several months even if you have less customers in the start. Im waiting for your sales thread on the backup VPS

• AsimAsim Member

@prometeus true that. Already Listed your offer in the initial thread

@subigo yes, thats another way to do it

• flyfly Member

backblaze doing backups @ $5 a month for unlimited everything
    windows only tho :(

• @kbar said: backblaze doing backups @ $5 a month for unlimited everything

Get a low-end Windows VPS, transfer backups to Backblaze through it. Problem solved.

• flyfly Member

not enough bandwidth

@subigo said: Get a low-end Windows VPS, transfer backups to Backblaze through it. Problem solved.

That's a pretty brilliant way to get around that shortcoming - well done :P

Francisco

• @Asim said: @mitgiB Ok, building a secret project ... are you? :)

Back in my dialup days, it was known as world domination, $20 at a time

Thanked by 1Asim
  • Please share where these backup boxes are also located. You dont want your live and backup data on the same location, right?

• I'm about to launch a new backup service that none of you would be interested in. :)

The accounts start at about $25/year for 1gb space. LOL. Completely different market. For the market it will be reaching, it's really a great deal.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • BassHostBassHost Member
    edited March 2012

Good to know @speckl lol

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @speckl: What market is it that makes that a great deal?

• @Damian said: What market is it that makes that a great deal?

The small business market. On average, these people are spending over $10/mo for hosting their tiny websites. I know A LOT of people paying $50/mo just to host 4 page websites and email for 3 people. They pay because they don't know any better. The services is geared towards those individuals that deal with local web developers that have zero skill and charge outlandish prices. :)

• @speckl: Ah, I wish you luck on your endeavor then. We've been trying to break into that market since 2003. We started our VPS market 10 months ago and it's surpassed 9 years of small business hosting.