Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage/backup VPS plans?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage/backup VPS plans?

DamianDamian Member
edited March 2012 in General

Our upcoming datacenter move will put is in a position to offer storage/backup VPS plans, which seem to be quite popular.

What kind of storage amount for a price interests you?

Comments

• Data storage is dirt cheap these days. So it may not be popular on a vps price level. ($10+)

For example i can get 5TB for £15 a Month.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@DanielM said: For example i can get 5TB for £15 a Month.

But can you use all 5TB?

Francisco

Thanked by 1Aldryic
  • @Francisco said: But can you use all 5TB?

Yeh. Ive used around 3TB so far.

@DanielM said: Yeh. Ive used around 3TB so far.

@DotVPS said: @DanielM that sounds a bit oversold :P

That'd be my main concern honestly. If they have a ton of people start using 5TB, they'll start capping or enforcing their TOS about whatever policy they have against it.

Francisco

• I get 1.5TB dedicated servers for $25 a month... so yeah.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Storage has to have accompanying bandwidth.

• @subigo said: I get 1.5TB dedicated servers for $25 a month... so yeah.

Where is this deal? :O

@subigo said: I get 1.5TB dedicated servers for $25 a month... so yeah.

And an ever decreasing BW pool if it's OVH.

Francisco

• @seraphkz said: Where is this deal? :O

Contact Wholesale Internet / Datashack and ask if they have any really old equipment laying around. A lot of times they'll hook them up for you and just charge you for the hard drive.

• @subigo said: Contact Wholesale Internet / Datashack and ask if they have any really old equipment laying around. A lot of times they'll hook them up for you and just charge you for the hard drive.

I see. Thanks.

• Actually, forgot just how cheap the Kimsufi 2G is..1TB Hard Drive for 15 Euro

• @raindog308 said: Storage has to have accompanying bandwidth.

At the moment, it'll be unlimited incoming speed and probably 20-50 megabit outgoing speed.

• tuxtux Member

@seraphkz said: Actually, forgot just how cheap the Kimsufi 2G is..1TB Hard Drive for 15 Euro

Or free if you ordered if from OVH US DC (alpha testing)

• @tux said: Or free if you ordered if from OVH US DC (alpha testing)

They giving them out for free already? Pls share link

• tuxtux Member

@DanielM said: They giving them out for free already? Pls share link

http://www.ovh.com/us/

• lumaluma Member

@tux said: from OVH US DC (alpha testing)

It is not a US datacenter. Montreal is not in the US.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@tux I think to get one, you have to register for a nichandle with ovh.

Is it just me, or is their signup page broken? there are no countries to choose from in chrome, firefox, or IE.

https://www.ovh.com/us/cgi-bin/nic/newNic.cgi

• flyfly Member

you need to have a pre-existing OVH product

• lumaluma Member

@raindog308 said: Is it just me, or is their signup page broken? there are no countries to choose from in chrome, firefox, or IE.

Shows up just fine for me in Firefox (latest)

But it does not matter, you need to have an active ovh/Kimsufi server and have had it since berfore March to be able to get a free server for this alpha release.

• tuxtux Member

@luma said: But it does not matter, you need to have an active ovh/Kimsufi server and have had it since berfore March to be able to get a free server for this alpha release.

I don't have any active server from OVH but they have confirmed my order. But earlier I had three Kimsufi and I see still two of these server (with Expired status) in list on OVH manager main page.

• tuxtux Member

@raindog308 said: @tux I think to get one, you have to register for a nichandle with ovh.

Is it just me, or is their signup page broken? there are no countries to choose from in chrome, firefox, or IE.

https://www.ovh.com/us/cgi-bin/nic/newNic.cgi

Try this https://www.ovh.com/cgi-bin/nic/newNic.cgi

• Well, looks like there's not much point to offering storage VPS plans then. I wonder how the popular companies make it worthwhile.

@Damian said: Well, looks like there's not much point to offering storage VPS plans then. I wonder how the popular companies make it worthwhile.

We offer tons of resources and bitchin' performance?

You aren't going to find a storage box giving 500G space, 600M/sec disk writes, 100mbit unmetered inbound and 20 - 50mbit/sec outbound on an E3 for $15.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: 600M/sec disk writes

Why would one need 600 mb/s disk io when the network is limited to 50 mb/s?

@gsrdgrdghd said: Why would one need 600 mb/s disk io when the network is limited to 50 mb/s?

Some of the backup applications are retarded and will burst heavily. r1soft is a prime example :(

Francisco

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @Francisco said: You aren't going to find a storage box giving 500G space, 600M/sec disk writes, 100mbit unmetered inbound and 20 - 50mbit/sec outbound on an E3 for $15.

That's kinda what I was thinking, but the discussion degraded into "where can I get the cheapest dedicated server with the most storage". Such is life...

• AsimAsim Member

@Damian said: Well, looks like there's not much point to offering storage VPS plans then. I wonder how the popular companies make it worthwhile.

im interested

• Me too :)

• Please have stock @Francisco D:

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • fanfan Veteran

@Francisco said: We offer tons of resources and bitchin' performance?

TONs of! :D But still no stock.