Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need an AVAILABLE ultra low end box
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need an AVAILABLE ultra low end box

BluBoyBluBoy Member
edited April 2012 in Root

I have been following a few forums for a while now, and have been unable to get any of the ultra low deals that are posted.

I am looking for an ultra low end box in San Jose, LA or anywhere else on the West Coast. Needs at least:
128MB RAM (additional / burstable / vswap a bonus)
10GB+ HDD space (On redundant platters, delivering 50MBps+ benchmark speeds)
500GB transfer (ideally at 100Mbps+)
CPU @ 1Ghz (prefer 2GHz+ or dual core)
XEN or KVM preferred (with Debian 6 x86 or FreeBSD 9 ISO's)
Tun/Tap support a must

In addition to the hardware specs, I'm also hoping for someone who had been around for at least a year and has a decent uptime/availability reputation.

Is there anything available at the moment that meets these requirements and is available for $12 to $24 per year billed monthly (possibly quarterly depending on reputation). Am I being too picky after seeing some of the amazing deals I have missed out on?

I may also be interested in similar specs (or lower) anywhere in the UK.

Cheers

Comments

• I'm sure @LES won't mind me mentioning http://lowendstock.com/ ;)

From that list, Hostigation has stock on the 128MB KVMs in Los Angeles for $30/year. Slightly over your budget, the extra $6 would most definitely be worth it.
    I have three boxes with Tim/Hostigation. Great uptime and performance.
    Looking at your criteria, that seems like one of your only options.

If you're willing to ditch BSD, OpenVZ could work with your Tun/Tap requirements, and there's loads of providers that could fit the bill.

In the UK, there's XenVZ, however the bandwidth is much, much lower than you probably require (20GB).
    Another great provider, I can provide some benches if you need them.

Thanked by 1LES
  • @BluBoy said: Am I being too picky

Not too picky, just a little too price sensitive. TUN/TAP is a non-issue when requesting KVM/Xen. But as ElliotJ pointed out, I have KVM @ $30/yr available in Los Angeles and Debian 6 or FreeBSD 9 and many others to choose from.

• flyfly Member
    edited April 2012

i'll +1 to @mitgib.

he's got native v6 in la (quadranet) as well. very stable.
    you can run irc clients but no ircd's.

also his support team "TEAM BIGTIM" > all

• Sounds like you're going to create a VPN or so?

I thought @miTgiB offered something like $3/mo VPS even when paying monthly?

• flyfly Member

there's a 20/year openvz.
    kvm is 30/year.

• @klikli said: I thought @miTgiB offered something like $3/mo VPS even when paying monthly?

Yes, some time ago u_u

It was a little bit unstable for me (just some reboots). And I didn't had an usage for it, so I leave u_u
    I want it again, lol

• @BluBoy said: I may also be interested in similar specs (or lower) anywhere in the UK.

https://clients.allsimple.net/cart.php?a=add&pid=56 stable £15/y Xen vps.

Lower specs but highly recommended.

• @BluBoy why does it under your name say Applicant and not member?