Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox VE (Home LEBs) (Article by Koen Vervloesem)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox VE (Home LEBs) (Article by Koen Vervloesem)

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited April 2012 in General

Today I found something which might interest some people here:

If you want to set up a Linux virtualization server, Proxmox Virtual Environment (VE) is an easy-to-use turnkey solution. Under the hood, Proxmox VE is a heavily tweaked Debian 6.0 (Squeeze) x86_64 distribution that installs a web-based management interface, and has a custom 2.6.32 kernel optimized for a virtualization environment.

The graphical installer automatically partitions the selected hard disk and installs all required packages. It requires you to enter minimal settings, such as your password, time zone, network configuration (Proxmox VE uses a static IP address), and so on. After a reboot, Proxmox VE’s management interface is accessible on https://IPADDRESS:8006/. Log in with the username root and the password you have set up during installation.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page

There is an article/review by Koen Vervloesem (writes for the dutch Linux mag) here:
http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/reviews/proxmox-ve-2-0-review-a-virtualisation-server-for-any-situation/

When I'm finished with my shift and home I'm going to try it out...

Comments

• karlkarl Member

I have used it on my spare home server( 2x xeon l5410s 4gb memory (i need more that limits it) 2x72gb SAS and 2x146gb SAS in raid 0) its really nice the interface is simple gets the job done.
    I enjoyed using it, simple setup

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I <3 Proxmox 1.9, I don't think I'll be upgrading to 2.0 though, to complex for what I need.

edited April 2012

@DotVPS said: I can't find anywhere about upgrading to 2.0

They recommend re-installing and restoring from backups. There is an upgrade script but some people have reported data loss, bugs, and VMs not booting. You also cannot cluster together a 1.x and 2.x servers so you cannot migrate them either.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@KuJoe do you have integrated proxmox with whmcs? Do you know of some working integration (at least for create/suspend/terminate functions)?

@prometeus said: @KuJoe do you have integrated proxmox with whmcs? Do you know of some working integration (at least for create/suspend/terminate functions)?

Nope, we only use Proxmox for our internal services. Looks like we'll either be moving to CLI or an OpenVZ only setup.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@KuJoe said: Nope, we only use Proxmox for our internal services

Thanks. I was thinking you were evaluating it for KVM...

BTW, I've seen now your new site, I like it!

• twaintwain Member

Yep we use Proxmox 1.9 for most of our corp internal infrastructure

@prometeus said: Thanks. I was thinking you were evaluating it for KVM...

Nah, we don't even run KVM for internal servers because the performance is horrible for us. I think @miTgiB said it was due to the lack of VT-d on our CPUs.

• What do you guys use virtualization for , at home? I can't think of something the typical home user needs in a virtualized environment that cant be run simultaneously on a single system.

• TheHackBoxTheHackBox Member
    edited April 2012

I use virtualization for Windows XP normally... what a pain.

@rajprakash said: I can't think of something the typical home user needs in a virtualized environment that cant be run simultaneously on a single system.

Development/testing. If I am coding a script that uses 2+ servers then I'll need 2+ servers to test it on and it'd be a waste for me to have 2+ physical servers when all I need is 2+ 64MB VPSs that can run on an Intel Atom.

• @rajprakash said: I can't think of something the typical home user

But most of us aren't "typical home users".... at least power users, if not coders or sysadmins. And there are tons of things we can use VMs for. Here's my most recent: I'm trying to compile some code and link it statically so it will run on any distro with a 2.0+ version of glibc/eglibc. And I have testbeds running minimal/server installs of D5, D6, COS5, COS6, U8.04, U10.04 and U11.10 -- OVZ/Proxmox, on top of a VMWare VM...:D