Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They call it Digital Ocean killer. A cloud service from Choopa/Constant: https://www.vultr.com/ - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

They call it Digital Ocean killer. A cloud service from Choopa/Constant: https://www.vultr.com/

Comments

• serverian said: Can we get this thread deleted please?

Why?

• @myhken said:

Joking :)

Thanked by 2myhken tchen
  • serverian said: Joking :)

Lol, took me a minute to see that. They suddenly going in to your marked now...
    What have you done, promoting your new competition?

• AmitzAmitz Member

@serverian said:
    Can we get this thread deleted please?

;-)

• @serverian why do your signature say that you "only" have 8 location on Backupsy when I can see 9 on your list on your site? Removed one, or added one without updating your signature?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2014

myhken said: your signature say that you "only" have 8 location on Backupsy when I can see 9 on your list on your site

How apt that you ask in this thread.
    Maybe because unlike some other companies, he likes to underpromise and overdeliver? :D

• tchentchen Member

@serverian said:
    Can we get this thread deleted please?

I don't think you have anything to worry. Call me crazy, but 'backup' on cloud instance that's one click away from being deleted always wigs me out. At least AWS S3 won't let you do it from the control panel unless the bucket is empty.

• I am wondering if possible they open SG node to compete DO.

• @seikan said:
    I am wondering if possible they open SG node to compete DO.

It's not on their current list, I hope they gets the locations on their list online before they adds more locations "currently out of stock".

• @myhken said:
    serverian why do your signature say that you "only" have 8 location on Backupsy when I can see 9 on your list on your site? Removed one, or added one without updating your signature?

You need to count again :p

• @serverian said:

New York, NY (1), Orlando, FL (2), Chicago, IL (3), Denver, CO (4), Buffalo, NY (5), Los Angeles, CA (6), Dallas, TX (7), Netherlands (8), United Kingdom (9).
    Don't know how this can not count up to 9?

• @myhken said:
    Don't know how this can not count up to 9?

Ah right. Buffalo is discontinued in favor of NYC.

• is New York, NY (1), = Buffalo, NY (5)?

• marcmmarcm Member

smile93 said: is New York, NY (1), = Buffalo, NY (5)?

New York, NY refers to New York City in the state of New York.

• Any competition is good for all both for customers and companies.

I'm DO customer and not happy at all, well even when they provide free credits when I never asked about. They are really becoming crappier day by day. You'll ask me why ? See DO support response for my server with low I/O and slow network speed ( I/O - 90 MB/s ; Network - 8 MB/s) when it was about ~350 MB/s for I/O and network speed close to 100 MB/s for almost a year.

Hello --

We see that this host resides on one of our older nodes in the original ams datacenter. Is it critical that this droplet remain in ams1? Perhaps you might try snapshotting your droplet, and recreating it in our newer facility in ams2.

Of course, I can get new droplet but what will happen next time ? Stability is not what DO could provide, if abuser/miner will come to the node where you VPS located you'll see what I'm talking about and yes they are not going to take a look at the node to see who is abusing it. That's it.

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited March 2014

@serverian said:
    Ah right. Buffalo is discontinued in favor of NYC.

OK, maybe remove it from the list then? ;)

On the other side, has DO just changed their website? Now it's looks nothing like what VULTR tried to copy before they changed their pages...

• marcmmarcm Member

myhken said: On the other side, has DO just changed their website? Now it's looks nothing like what VULTR tried to copy before they changed their pages...

I would say that Digital Ocean's page looks way more professional and is cleaner than before. It looks more grown up.

• @marcm said:

That's just a new design trend. In 2006, glossy buttons were the way to make it look professional.

• All about flat style designs now

• tchentchen Member

Bring back the animated fire!

• marcmmarcm Member

tchen said: Bring back the animated fire!

Oh the 90's...

• Does anyone actually have a review of vultr? Thinking about getting servers with them but I want a review before I toss a bunch of money at it, and I can't test it due to their 'first payment doubling' thing that I don't want to waste.

• marcmmarcm Member

@Void_Whisperer we use them for DNS and I'm happy with the service. I can't wait for them to be available in more locations. The fact that they double your first payment up to $100 is also a big plus.

• udkudk Member
    edited March 2014

Void_Whisperer said: Does anyone actually have a review of vultr? Thinking about getting servers with them but I want a review before I toss a bunch of money at it, and I can't test it due to their 'first payment doubling' thing that I don't want to waste.

Same, wanted to test but the problem arises that you've wasted ~$100 if you stick with them. Would be better to allow up to $100 over several payments, until the promotion is over. Instead I'll just wait for other brave people to be the guinea pigs.

• tchentchen Member

@Void_Whisperer said:
    Does anyone actually have a review of vultr? Thinking about getting servers with them but I want a review before I toss a bunch of money at it, and I can't test it due to their 'first payment doubling' thing that I don't want to waste.

I took a VPN deployment script to their system recently and worked fine. Left it for a day and nothing weird cropped up. You can dig for benchmarks others have done. Although to be honest, it's too early to ever be sure. The promo is meant for those willing to take the risk or now about choopa in the first place. I'm sure there'll be some teething pains so I wouldn't rely on it for anything critical just yet.

• I tossed $75 in for a total of 150. Lets hope this is worth it.

• tommytommy Member

myhken said: Big storage plans:

love this :) waiting for tokyo location

• sounds interesting. are they running their own billing or whmcs etc? what are they running in terms of CP & HV backend? whats the cloud panel etc?

• @autonomy said:
    sounds interesting. are they running their own billing or whmcs etc? what are they running in terms of CP & HV backend? whats the cloud panel etc?

All custom.

• melfymelfy Member

@serverian They're lookin' at you now