Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new Liechtenstein location at Edis is ON, 50% off - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The new Liechtenstein location at Edis is ON, 50% off

Comments

• @William, thank you for the refreshing honesty. When I think about all you've accomplished while all that shit's been going on, I get excited to think about what's in store for EDIS once things get less crazy.

I'm budget conscious at the moment so all I've bought is servers from your Waveride offerings. I can think of a few planned side ventures (bitcoin gambling website, pharmacy site that sells antibiotics for first-aid kits, etc) that might benefit from one of your obscure locations like Liechtenstein so hopefully I'll be able to get one at some point in the future. I need to do my research because it's possible the Isle of Man or Iceland might meet my needs in terms of legality.

The bandwidth limits at the Liechtenstein location are a bit smaller than I'm used to and I don't see any information about overage charges.

Is there any hope for larger bandwidth allotments in the future? How much does going over the limit cost? Does the Liechtenstein facility have any DDoS mitigation available? I've never had a site or service DDoS'd, but I like to plan for every contingency.

Regards,

Adam

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited March 2014

@W1V_Lee said:

>

You better had.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2014

MuZo said: BTW does https://thelie.li/cloud.html runs in the same datacenter / hardware?

Unrelated but: Yes/No-No. TLL does colo with Kyberna and Telecom Liechtenstein (KB with own IPs, TL with some rented nets) and it has some dedicated servers at Newsnet. It's mainly a requested setup for some clients that finances itself with them by now (not much profitable but not minus either, it's expensive hardware after all). No new signups are accepted regardless (i think it would now also cause issues with my EDIS work contract, though i was there first).

It's... not my thing. I have many good ideas and know how to monetize them but i don't have the partners for it anymore (and no real intention to implement most at my normal work as implementation<>profit for me personally is next to zero), i can't program, can't design and my accounting style is horrible (but... tax saving, thats enough said).

Thanked by 1MuZo
  • MrXMrX Member

ExPl0ReR said: Hope you only forgot the smiley icon ;-)

Note to self: Make any future jokes ExPl0ReR might read extremely obvious. ;-)

• LeeLee Veteran

@0xdragon said:

Awwwwww

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited March 2014

MrX said: We all know Liechtenstein is a relatively low-income country, where data centers have an interest in matching other, uncomparable countries in terms of hosting costs... Right?

Ever been to Liechtenstein? They make Switzerland seem cheap. Everything is expensive there.

I think it is obvious to me that they could, may be not at 7 bucks, but at 10 bucks a month with a small 64MB RAM VPS that is definitely possible. They have done that in HK/Iceland which has expensive bandwidth as well (although of course they have to give way less bandwidth).

So the question is not if they could, but they wants to do that. And I respect that is a business decision.

And yes I have been to Liechtenstein, my passport still has that little stamp that I got from the local post office there :) There is no need to be so sarcastic in this discussion.

And @William, @ExPl0ReR, I respect your business decision, I was just hoping that this explanation has come a bit earlier to the existing clients as to why you guys are moving away from the LE* market, at least from what I can tell from the current pricing. Thanks for the transparency though, I appreciate that. @William, take care and hope everything will be fine soon.

• @MrX said:
    They make Switzerland seem cheap.

Now thats tough :D

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2014

zhuanyi said: I think it is obvious to me that they could, may be not at 7 bucks, but at 10 bucks a month with a small 64MB RAM VPS that is definitely possible

No, as BW would be next to nothing on that then, like 10GB. It also would not finance the required IP (which we get local, not from our alloc unlike HK/IS) and simply the import costs of servers (~10% to be paid always, free in HK and IS) and power costs (50% higher than AT/CH/EU, 150% more than HK, 500-1000% more than Iceland)

LI is special as there is no competition and no secondary choice. The DCs work for banks mainly and are owned by the same people and the Fürst/Dictator personally (and his family) - Banks don't care what they pay (it's for them in fact income that gets back to them anyway), Telecom providers dont care for colo customers unless its a bank. And so on.

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • Fair play to William being honest and open.

Respect.

• @William said:
    Data protection (the laws are nice, extremely clear worded unlike in the EU and with strict fines/jail), Outside EU, politically very stable (essentially a dictatorship that works because of the small size and rich population)

not sure if data protection has been well tested with critical cases... It's safe for banks and financial institutions, for sure, the whole point of FLs economy being to be a de facto sanctuary for them. Not sure about political content.
    Also, they are not EU, but EEA, and yanks are trying like mad to make EEA businesses to follow the "Safe Harbor" rules and not more. The point is that Safe Harbor is BS, but EU Commission wants to pass next year a trade alliance EU/USA. If so hard times are coming and the castle of the Fürst in Vaduz will not stay out.
    Right now, with the Ukrainian/Crimean crisis, we have seen that Liechtenstein together with Switzerland and Austria have frozen Yanukovitch assets- I'm not going into political debates, but whatever Yanukovitch was, he was certainly much less evil than any son of a bitch of the Emirates nobilities and some others. But obviously Switzerland, Austria and FL got a phone call from Washington telling them what to do, if they are not already in line with the "Empire"...

• William said: LI is special as there is no competition and no secondary choice. The DCs work for banks mainly and are owned by the same people and the Fürst/Dictator personally (and his family) - Banks don't care what they pay (it's for them in fact income that gets back to them anyway), Telecom providers dont care for colo customers unless its a bank. And so on.

Small price to pay for the wealthiest I guess :) Thanks for the explanation.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2014

abravo said: If so hard times are coming and the castle of the Fürst in Vaduz will not stay out

The Fürst stated if any changes are not liked by him (which extends to the citizens by voting, if he wants so or the citizens want so) he will simply, along with the entire country obviously, leave the EEA and if required the Swiss customs union.
    And he can do so, the effect on LI would be minimal. The country sits on billions of cash reserves and billions of investments (and owns a LOAD (much, MUCH more than their own country) of space in Austria that can be declared extraterritorial, like the castle in Mödling/NÖ), and thats only the countries money - Not even the banks stash of cash from wealthy locals and foreigners.

Liechtenstein will never implement banking regulations (that is where this goes to in the end, implementing KYC requirements) as the EU wants, too much business in that. Billions of Billions to Trillions of Arab and Dictator money is stored there.

I would see it in fact as one of the most stable countries worldwide, if not the most stable.

• @William how old are you man?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2014

abravo said: we have seen that Liechtenstein together with Switzerland and Austria have frozen Yanukovitch assets

Please show me proof that LI banks closed accounts, i did not find any (required) order for this on the LI government and court sites (they are automatically published).

Further this is in the end a decision of the LI gov which traditionally is western aligned and has no real interest in either the Ukraine or this (compareatively very, very small amount of, Yanukovich had not even 20 billion EUR total, the gulf states store billions alone in LI) money.

LI did not close LY accounts, LI did not close Saddams accounts (until UN sanctions), LI did not disclose any tax/bank data of our former finance minister (acussed of money laundry) to Austria - As far as i know the documents just "vanished", whoops. Sure, LI might do stuff like that, but in reality they don't need to care about any image or "international laws", again, it is essentially itself a dictatorship.

dedicados said: @William how old are you man?

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited March 2014

I am tempted to get one, not for curiosity but I like the location.

Looking glass for LI not available?

• Just want to say I sent in an email to EDIS and they replied in 10 minutes, looks like they are getting better over the short-staff situation.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2014

W1V_Lee said: Looking glass for LI not available?

Not yet.

Also, if someone cares, i fixed my water heating with the help of @rds100 and some very, very fire hazardous cabling and creative usage of fuse bridging :) (this likely burns down at one point, but at least i have hot water for now)

• LeeLee Veteran

William said: Not yet.

Also, if someone cares, i fixed my water heating with the help of @rds100 and some very, very fire hazardous cabling and creative usage of fuse bridging :) (this likely burns down at one point, but at least i have hot water for now)

Umm, yeah. Ok that you got it working but seriously man, be careful.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2014

@William said:

Eh, I wouldn't sleep at night with that, fuse bridging is fine with small appliances but with something that pulls stuff in the magnitude of kW it's not a good idea, fire hazardous cabling is at least ok but in combination with fuse bridging not a good idea, very likely to burn out, if it really needs to be done, try and get as much thickness and copper in the wire as you can and close the vicinity off if it isn't already.

Also, combi boilers ftw! They are worth the additional price but not really worth the constant breaking down. Just yesterday I had to replace the PCB because it burned out. :(

• @ExPl0ReR will it be possible to renew existing micros once they expire?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2014

Yes, i know what i do (i learned that after all for some time :)) - Its a temporary fix, tommorow i add a fuse i still have (appliance is 2kW/8A, fuse 10A, grounded obviously as required and behind the usual fusing and shortage protection as required by fire code. That will do for some time, i just turn it on when i'm home until the new cabling is in place.

In fact, this wiring is already (except the missing fuse and the only 6A rated cabling instead of 10A) much better than what my landlord built into before (a cable hanging out of the wall without any extra isolation, right next to the shower). (before fix: http://i.imgur.com/UcuoznR.jpg )

It heats currently at around 1300W, so is inside the 6A specifications even (very old appliance, likely has some faults already)

edited March 2014

@William said:
    In fact, this wiring is already (except the missing fuse and the only 6A rated cabling instead of 10A) much better than what my landlord built into before (a cable hanging out of the wall without any extra isolation, right next to the shower). (before fix: http://i.imgur.com/UcuoznR.jpg )

To be honest I think it'll be fine actually now looking at it, I've seen a lot worse in my time moving around with my uncle (electrician contractor for some housing associations). If you have an RCD on the main breaker panels you should be safe, I know in Germany this is compulsory, not sure of Austria. Generally rated cable has a safe tolerance of + 4-5A and really with my playing about that sort of cabling would go up to 17A really without smoking depending on quality of copper strands, will get quite flexible but not too bad for temporary.

Not a massive worry but just be weary. ;-)

• I used a ATX PSU cable made in Germany, says 6A but im fairly sure it's 10A - It looks better than HPs chinese 14A rated cables...

Anyway, to stop derailing some things:

Testfile - 100MB (temp, will be removed in some hours/days):
    http://88.82.108.8:9090/100MB.test

DL tests (ME, EU, US, Asia):
    https://paster.li/?ba3b0cddc8dc2d7b#4Lsj648oxpisYxiA0jqMY3yd9bnBpjiHdPaxAxgruRY=

Thanked by 2Infinity Lee

@William said:
    I used a ATX PSU cable made in Germany, says 6A but im fairly sure it's 10A - It looks better than HPs chinese 14A rated cables...

Anyway, to stop derailing some things:

Testfile - 100MB (temp, will be removed in some hours/days):
    http://88.82.108.8:9090/100MB.test

DL tests (ME, EU, US, Asia):
    https://paster.li/?ba3b0cddc8dc2d7b#4Lsj648oxpisYxiA0jqMY3yd9bnBpjiHdPaxAxgruRY=

Seems like a sparse test file or just small size?

Connecting over KPN, v. nice routing from UK, haven't seen that in a while.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • oh, file was inc - is now full 100MB.

• LeeLee Veteran

I like it to be honest, will grab one, it's a good location and not a lowend price which is not a bad thing. Thanks @william

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Be sure to get it tomorrow

• @William said:
    Please show me proof that LI banks closed accounts, i did not find any (required) order for this on the LI government and court sites (they are automatically published).

Further this is in the end a decision of the LI gov which traditionally is western aligned and has no real interest in either the Ukraine or this (compareatively very, very small amount of, Yanukovich had not even 20 billion EUR total, the gulf states store billions alone in LI) money.

bitte schön:

volksblatt.li/nachricht.aspx?p1=fl&id=71937&src=vb
    "Regierungschef Adrian Hasler erliess heute Freitag eine entsprechende Verordnung. Falls der abgesetzte ukrainische Präsident Viktor Janukowitsch Gelder auf heimischen Bankkonten hat, werden diese eingefroren. Die Regierung um Adrian Hasler hat heute Nachmittag die Verordnung zu dieser Grundsatzentscheidung publiziert, welche um 16 Uhr in Kraft getreten ist. Die Banken hätten ausserdem eine erhöhte Sorgfaltspflicht gegenüber ukrainischen Geldern in Liechtenstein."

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2014

abravo said: eingefroren

Not closed, only frozen. Different. (At this point even possible that he gets it back, but lets say thats very unrealistic obviously if you have ICC problems).

• @William said:
    Not closed, only frozen.

ha! the point is that the Fürst went in on demand of some outside pressure, yanks or EU. So much for sovereignity.
    People who haven't been there can form many ideas. But I know FL and basically it's only the couple valleys and mountains between Saint-Gallen and Vorarlberg. On the road from Switzerland to Feldkirch one drives through without almost noticing, only a FL sign, end of motorway and the austrian toll station driving out on the other side. It's like Monaco.
    Iceland is expensive because the location, Sweden/Norway because the higher levels of life but they are extensive, very distinct and specific land masses and nations. But Liechtenstein is like a non-sense. A semi-sovereignity due to an historical glitch otherwise it would just be plain Austria. I fail to see any connectivity nor data protection advantage relatively to Austria.
    I'm a customer so I got the promo email, valid two days. I smiled: if the promo is one week it could ruin your business :-)
    Anyway good luck with your offering.