Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2021 Black Friday / Cyber Monday Official Megathread + Flash Deals ⚡ - Page 70
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2021 Black Friday / Cyber Monday Official Megathread + Flash Deals ⚡

Comments

• @tjn said:

@Nekki said:
    6TB+ once RAID'ed (1 or 5), so either 2x6TB, 3x3TB etc.

Search for 1590789 on Hetzner auctions - is that kinda what you're after?

There are a couple of 2x6T units cheaper than that, at €38, if 16G RAM and a lower CPU is sufficient, and a couple of 4x6T/32G at €45. Or there were when I was poking around earlier today.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2021

@Nekki said:

@tjn said:

@Nekki said:

That would be OK, although I'd hope for a much lower cost. The disks are mostly dogshit on the Hetzner auctions these days, tons of errors.

wtf, don't they replace failed drives at all?

EDIT: Or is that part of the auction excitement?

• Those servers from @ShockHosting were tasty! Too bad I was late.

Thanked by 1ShockHosting
  • @FAT32 said:
    Next is a dedi deal... might not have HUGE disks but for the specs and price it is great :smiley:

I'll take a smaller dedi for the right price, so long as it's in Europe....

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @MeAtExampleDotCom said: There are a couple of 2x6T units cheaper than that, at €38, if 16G RAM and a lower CPU is sufficient, and a couple of 4x6T/32G at €45. Or there were when I was poking around earlier today.

Order them, have a look at the disks, they're probably in a bad way.

• @PulsedMedia said:

@Nekki said:

@tjn said:

@Nekki said:

That would be OK, although I'd hope for a much lower cost. The disks are mostly dogshit on the Hetzner auctions these days, tons of errors.

wtf, don't they replace failed drives at all?

EDIT: Or is that part of the auction excitement?

I assume if the drives are actually failing they'll replace them, as least I darn well hope so though the drives in the box I've had there a while are playing fine so I've had not reason to test that. But there is no telling what state the last people to use any given server left it in so you might be taking pot luck initially...

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@Nekki said:

@MeAtExampleDotCom said: There are a couple of 2x6T units cheaper than that, at €38, if 16G RAM and a lower CPU is sufficient, and a couple of 4x6T/32G at €45. Or there were when I was poking around earlier today.

Order them, have a look at the disks, they're probably in a bad way.

If they provide dedi with failing drives cannot you ask for refund or replacement of server/drives?

• @PulsedMedia said: wtf, don't they replace failed drives at all?

They'll replace them when they fail sure, but not before. Not much use to me.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Where are all the deals?

• @PulsedMedia said: If they provide dedi with failing drives cannot you ask for refund or replacement of server/drives?

They won't give you the time of day until they fail, and to be fair, they might have a point, it might be years before the drives actually die, but I don't want that gamble.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @Nekki said:

@PulsedMedia said: If they provide dedi with failing drives cannot you ask for refund or replacement of server/drives?

They won't give you the time of day until they fail, and to be fair, they might have a point, it might be years before the drives actually die, but I don't want that gamble.

You just gamble until next Black Friday. It's how it works. Many times even RAID does not help.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

DEALS?!?!

• Will there be a high-profile deal

• got 15€ left so i hope it will be good XD

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@Nekki said: I'm also a bit stuck until I land a dedi, that's the priority.

No VPS until you find a dedi?

I get your point about term though.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Jord said:
    DEALS?!?!

Orale pues!

Fluffy <3

• @default said: You just gamble until next Black Friday. It's how it works. Many times even RAID does not help.

@Mr_Tom said:

@Nekki said: I'm also a bit stuck until I land a dedi, that's the priority.

No VPS until you find a dedi?

I get your point about term though.

Because the dedi is where the magic happens. VPS is just for backup. No point having a backup server without anything to backup to it.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited November 2021

AlphaVPS Flash Sale !!!

€14.99/y - 30 available - 3GB OVZ7 in 5 locations
    https://alphavps.com/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=382&promocode=0BY3OKM13S

NOTE: Click 'Continue' to view discounted price! If price shows up higher OR it says coupon is no longer valid - this means you've missed it and someone else already used up all the codes!

Thanked by 3sgno1 _Nic donli
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

26/11 16:00

HostSlick: €84/m MAX or 30% site-wide ANY dedicated servers (eg. Dual E5v3 128GB w/ 2TB SSD) in Netherlands

Specifications

Example deal

• HP Dedicated Server
    • 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2680 V3 (24 cores, 48 threads @ 3.30Ghz Turbo)
    • 128GB DDR4 ECC
    • 2 x 1TB SSD
    • 25TB Bandwidth @ 1Gbit
    • Promo code: TOPSTOPBLACKFRIDAY2021
    • €84/m (Usually €229/m)

Price lower than €84/m? Don't worry use 30PERCENTBF2021 code for 30% discount on ANY dedicated servers.

@HostSlick

Thanked by 2_Nic wuck
  • @Nekki said: No point having a backup server without anything to backup to it.

No point in having server in first place if you have no backup place!

• NOPE

• @tjn said:

@bubblefish said:
    Why are so many people interested in many TB of storage on a server? I mean sure 1-2 Tb is nice, but why 20 or more?

Simple use case:
    If you have 2 production servers, each one with 500GB of data that needs to be backed up daily and held for 30days - and the backups cannot be incremental (compliance, immutable, DR, bla bla bla):

500gb * 2 servers * 30 days = 30TB

I have never heard of backups not being allowed to be incremental for any sort of compliance purposes. Is that actually a thing?

Also what about Borgbackup? It's not incremental; it just uses deduplication so each unique block is only stored once.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • @Nekki said:
    Because the dedi is where the magic happens. VPS is just for backup. No point having a backup server without anything to backup to it.

I am more a fan of VPS. Dedicated is nice, but I don't need it that much, unless it's some SBC server. Many times I found myself OK with just a VPS.

• @Mr_Tom said:

Bit of a mix here, maybe tempting @Nekki and @1nf

Hey, how fat is the port on these?
    Thanks

• DeadlyChemistDeadlyChemist Member
    edited November 2021

@AlexBarakov said:

AlphaVPS Flash Sale !!!

€14.99/y - 30 available - 3GB OVZ7 in 5 locations
    https://alphavps.com/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=382&promocode=0BY3OKM13S

NOTE: Click 'Continue' to view discounted price! If price shows up higher OR it says coupon is no longer valid - this means you've missed it and someone else already used up all the codes!

could have had it, dont like OVZ tho :(

• Maximum shrinkage

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • [17:00] HostCram: $7/yr 3GB KVM VPS in Dallas

• Man that ShockHosting offer is the 1st time that I see Dedicated Server on Singapore for only $35/mo. Too bad it was sold out, or maybe it just doesn't exists...

Thanked by 1ShockHosting
  • Dual Intel Xeon E5-2650-V2/64GB/2x3TBHD/1Gbit & 25TB Transfer - €66.50EUR
    with that coupon from HostSlick

This discussion has been closed.