Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can I configure RAID10 on So you Start dedicated server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can I configure RAID10 on So you Start dedicated server?

I bought a dedicated server from So you Start with four 2T disks. I installed Proxmox VE on the first hard drive, how can I configure RAID10 in Proxmox VE. Or should I reinstall the OS?

I know the default RAID of OVH machine is RAID1, but I want to make full use of all disks. I tried a lot of methods by using mdadm, but failed. So can anyone provide instructions on how to do it?

Thanked by 1AndrewL64

Comments

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

I have minimal 4 HDD's? On server

Raid 1 minim 2 HDD
    Raid 10 minim 4 hdd

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited October 2021

@Calin said:
    I have minimal 4 HDD's?

To whom is that question directed at?

Also:

@einverne said:
    I bought a dedicated server from So you Start with four 2T disks.

• I would recommend to go via the Proxmox installer using zfs (if some kind of vnc is available).

Alternatively I think you could set up Debian and then "upgrade" to proxmox later, if you prefer an mdadm configuration

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @einverne said: I know the default RAID of OVH machine is RAID1, but I want to make full use of all disks. I tried a lot of methods by using mdadm, but failed.

first think about a partitioning scheme. usually there is no need to absolutely put everything on a single large partition. proxmox for instance puts disk images and whatnot into /var/lib/vz which then is an ideal mount point for a split partition.

that said, here is what I did: use the SYS installer to install debian buster, but tick the box for individual settings/partitioning. then create a small /boot partition and a reasonable sized / as well as some swap. in that setup you'll notice that you can't choose raid 10 for / so go with raid-1 (across 4 disks) instead. leave a bigger part of the disks empty to create raid-x, zfs, lvm, whatever later (and mount it to /var/lib/vz)

after the install you can reshape the raid-1 which your / resides on to a raid-10 via mdam, but you need to go through raid-0 first. this is a good read: https://www.berthon.eu/2017/converting-raid1-to-raid10-online/
    and yes this can be done online without kvm/ipmi.

after you did this you can partition the free disk space to your needs, I went for zfs/raidz but of course you can also just use mdadm to make it another raid-10.

proxmox can then be installed on top of debian: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Buster
    you just want to get rid of cloud-init so it does not mess up your network settings on each reboot.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep
    1. Proxmox doesn't support Software Raid
    2. If you have 4 didks and you already installed Proxmox on 1 of the disk then you only gave 3 disk remaining and for Raid 10 you need to have 4 disks at least

I would recommend you to install Proxmox/OS on 2 disks as ZFS RAID 1

Then from Proxmox GUI add remaining 2 disks for storage as ZFS RAID1 again

Thanked by 1einverne
  • @ViridWeb said: Proxmox doesn't support Software Raid

and what did you smoke?

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@Falzo said:

@ViridWeb said: Proxmox doesn't support Software Raid

and what did you smoke?

Oops.. looks like I smoked something else instead of weeds..

• I just got a dedicated server from OVH with 4 ssd disks (Hardware raid) and is st as default to Raid 1 (as i can see from the total size of the disks when i am starting the installation of Centos 7.2. How can i change it to Raid 10?

• @kurdzop said:
    I just got a dedicated server from OVH with 4 ssd disks (Hardware raid) and is st as default to Raid 1 (as i can see from the total size of the disks when i am starting the installation of Centos 7.2. How can i change it to Raid 10?

Did you read this thread?

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • I'd like to thank @Falzo very much. Following the details Falzo provided, I finally made it.

root@pve:~# mdadm --misc --detail /dev/md2 
    /dev/md2:
               Version : 1.2
         Creation Time : Thu Oct 21 12:58:06 2021
            Raid Level : raid10
            Array Size : 1023737856 (976.31 GiB 1048.31 GB)
         Used Dev Size : 511868928 (488.16 GiB 524.15 GB)
          Raid Devices : 4
         Total Devices : 4
           Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Fri Oct 22 01:39:27 2021
                 State : clean 
        Active Devices : 4
       Working Devices : 4
        Failed Devices : 0
         Spare Devices : 0

Layout : near=2
            Chunk Size : 64K

Consistency Policy : resync

Name : md2
                  UUID : 0686b64f:07957a70:4e937aa2:23716f6e
                Events : 6536

Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
           2       8       18        0      active sync set-A   /dev/sdb2
           5       8       50        1      active sync set-B   /dev/sdd2
           4       8       34        2      active sync set-A   /dev/sdc2
           3       8        2        3      active sync set-B   /dev/sda2

But I messed up when I tried to install Proxmox on Debian, but it's ok. By the way, does anyone tried mergerFS and SnapRAID?

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • i'll read that thread, thanks for suggestion ! mobdro