Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner increases pricing ips - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner increases pricing ips

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

@deank said: The option is painfully being narrowed for some of kiddie hosts out there

Every host using them and charging $1 a month will suffer. I mean I am not laughing but I am not sympathizing either.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Clouvider said: I suppose Hetzner run out of the cushion of the IPs they had and with the high cost of acquisition they don't want to risk it with long ROI.

this!

most likely also weeding out people who regularly order new/cancel old subnets for... questionable reasons.

@Clouvider said: Well We're not increasing our pricing : >

haha, fair enough.

I can live with the price increase though, as my margins don't collapse just because of 1€ per IP 🤷‍♂️😁
    not really a refugee after all but who knows, for new/future orders I obviously will be more ... considerate about other options again.

@Clouvider said: I'll check our stocks in Germany and see what we can do though

no worries, I'd reach out to you directly anyway, if I need something urgently or probably bring my business to @Mr_Tom ;-)

Thanked by 1Mr_Tom
  • M2DEVM2DEV Member

Even with this increase Hetzner is still cheaper and more reliable then most hosts out there, so who cares about paying a little extra

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • LeeLee Veteran

To be honest that setup fee doesn't seem like a money grab, coming across more like a deterrent to people asking for them.

• fLoofLoo Member

@Lee said:
    To be honest that setup fee doesn't seem like a money grab, coming across more like a deterrent to people asking for them.

Calling 200 € Setup for 6 IPs deterrent is not the worst joke ive heared today though.

• LeeLee Veteran

@fLoo said: Calling 200 € Setup for 6 IPs deterrent is not the worst joke ive heared today though.

You know what to do, take your pocket money elsewhere, that will show them.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

Rising setup fees plus this, yep they are struggling, maybe even a Ponzi scheme :lol:

• FalzoFalzo Member

@fLoo said: Calling 200 € Setup for 6 IPs deterrent is not the worst joke ive heared today though.

your rant makes you exaggerating ;-) 152€ is not 200. and depending on the use case even all 8 IPs can be used.

again, agreed it's a lot of money and I am for sure not keen to pay that any time soon...

however, if they would run out and you could not order any new ones at all - that would also not help.

Thanked by 2Lee MrH
  • LeeLee Veteran

@Falzo said: again, agreed it's a lot of money and I am for sure not keen to pay that any time soon

That's the point, for Hetzner. So what do you think is going to happen?

1. People with many IP's that don't really need them will return them.
    2. Those that are not willing to pay extra will return hardware and IPs.

The result? They will still sell the returned hardware, no problem there. But more importantly, they re-stock existing IPs that are either owned or leased at much lower than current market prices to save them having to purchase/lease large numbers of currently very expensive IP Blocks.

In time they will drop the setup fee again, maybe reduce the IP pricing where possible. The market is where it is right now.

Whilst I have no doubt they want to sell servers they are for sure growing their cloud service which I bet is really where they are trying to divert IP's.

Thanked by 3Falzo OhJohn MrH
  • fLoofLoo Member
    edited July 2021

@Lee said:

You know what to do, take your pocket money elsewhere, that will show them.

I wont disclose how much business i do with Hetzner so all i can say is that:

This community has been a family long time ago. People like you, with your entitled, immature, snooty and arrogant behavior are disgusting. You should revaluate your attitude.

@Falzo yea i just didnt calculate to the penny. Based on their change my investment for next month went from 4 to 5 digits.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2021

@fLoo said: This community has been a family long time ago. People like you, with your entitled, immature, snooty and arrogant behavior are disgusting. You should revaluate your attitude.

Go whine to Hetzner. And as far as my attitude is concerned I adjust it accordingly to the person I am replying to. I like to take myself down to the right level for people.

• jordynegen11jordynegen11 Member
    edited July 2021

I can understand the increase in price for new orders but also increase prices for IPv4 addresses ordered before this price increase is just screwing your customers.

@Hetzner_OL

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

What's the over/under on OVH's hike?

Francisco

Thanked by 1wdmg
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited July 2021

My monthly invoice to Hetzner (Before pricing changes) currently is roughly 500-600€, and it includes cloud usage, multiple servers and few smaller subnets.

While they might not care about losing me, since i'm a fly shit in the ocean for them. There are a lot of enthusiasts like me who have multiple servers with them and we also have to pay VAT on top of their own pricing.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm moving to another provider next month, and when enough people like me do this, it is gonna sting them no matter how much they tell themselves about "Only business customers matter to us".

While moving my infra out is annoying to say the least, it is still quite easy decision to do when pricing model changes like this.

This is not a whining post by any means, I'm simply stating my opinion and decision and expressing the fact that there is indeed such user group out there that is Private, Pays above average invoices, and is ready to leave the company.

I genuinely hope all the good for Hetzner and understand their decision since new IPv4 blocks are already hard to come by and even harder to make profitable at their price margins, but it remains to be seen if driving out existing private customers can be compensated with the new fees that are (likely only paid by businesses from here on), since I cant imagine private customer paying 152€ + extra 24% VAT (1.24 * 152€) setup fees for 6 IPs, not to mention their monthly price for it (1.24 * 13,60€ or 22€).

Thanked by 4fLoo Lee Cybr iKeyZ
  • LeeLee Veteran

@stefeman said: This is not a whining post by any means, I'm simply stating my opinion and decision and expressing the fact that there is indeed such user group out there that is Private, Pays above average invoices, and is ready to leave the company.

Many are going to be in the same position, I guess they must have thought out what they are likely to lose vs what they will gain. Time will tell how that works out for them.

Thanked by 1stefeman
    edited July 2021

@Lee said:

@stefeman said: This is not a whining post by any means, I'm simply stating my opinion and decision and expressing the fact that there is indeed such user group out there that is Private, Pays above average invoices, and is ready to leave the company.

Many are going to be in the same position, I guess they must have thought out what they are likely to lose vs what they will gain. Time will tell how that works out for them.

Agreed. I will lose the close Finland location, but I can live with few 10's of latency more by hosting in OVH Germany instead. The pricing however, makes it worth for me moving everything. I should save at least 100-150€/m based on my initial calculations. Even more if I move some of the Hetzner cloud machines to Proxmox based SoYouStart server.

Biggest issue with the upcoming Hetzner pricing for me however is:

Any server changes/upgrades/additions will also dictate the provider I'm going to choose, since if I cycle anything, I simply cannot afford to pay 600€ setup fees ( /27 subnet(s) ) every time I change server and I need to move the subnet to a new server. It does add up when you pay monthly and upgrade or downgrade to another server every year and subnet needs to be moved. Its even worse if I change multiple servers at once and move all 3 subnets to new servers. 1800€ extra? Fuck that.

Just so you know, Hetzner used to have free subnet moves between servers before, but with that new pricing model, it will cost the setup fee amount again.

Thanked by 4Lee fLoo Cybr coolice
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@fLoo said: I wont disclose how much business i do with Hetzner

no need, that's why you have your account manager over there then ;-)

Based on their change my investment for next month went from 4 to 5 digits.

go talk to him.

Thanked by 1fLoo
  • @stefeman what will you do next month if OVH do the same price hike on ips?

edited July 2021

@angelius said:
    @stefeman what will you do next month if OVH do the same price hike on ips?

As I said above, its not an issue. I have not even calculated the savings I have with no monthly IP costs. Assuming there was IP costs, all good for me. Assuming they doubled IP costs. that would also be fine. But if they added setup fees like Hetzner, I would leave as soon as possible.

Besides, even if OVH did that, I would just go to another provider lol. @Clouvider for example has excellent IP prices.

Thanked by 1fLoo

@stefeman said: Any server changes/upgrades/additions will also dictate the provider I'm going to choose, since if I cycle anything, I simply cannot afford to pay 600€ setup fees ( /27 subnet(s) ) every time I change server and I need to move the subnet to a new server. It does add up when you pay monthly and upgrade or downgrade to another server every year and subnet needs to be moved.

Isn't that why you'd use floating IP's then? they can move between services?

Or am I mistaken on how their floating IP's work?

Francisco

Thanked by 2fLoo vimalware
    edited July 2021

@Francisco said:

@stefeman said: Any server changes/upgrades/additions will also dictate the provider I'm going to choose, since if I cycle anything, I simply cannot afford to pay 600€ setup fees ( /27 subnet(s) ) every time I change server and I need to move the subnet to a new server. It does add up when you pay monthly and upgrade or downgrade to another server every year and subnet needs to be moved.

Francisco

I believe that's only for Hetzner Cloud. The Dedicated side is so ancient that they literally bind server IPs to switch ports. For example, when they physically moved my machine to 10Gbps port, they had to change the main server IP due to different location/rack.

And that procedure alone costed 32€, not to mention the upgrade to 10Gbps was billed seperately, so in essence, they charged for remote hands in addition of the full inclusive 10Gbps upgrade xD

@stefeman said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

I believe that's only for Hetzner Cloud. The Dedicated side is so ancient that they literally bind server IPs to switch ports. For example, when they physically moved my machine to 10Gbps port, they had to change the main server IP due to different location/rack.

To be fair I could see main IP changing being a thing, but then addon ip's should just be routed towards your IP.

Francisco

Thanked by 1fLoo
    edited July 2021

@Francisco said:

@stefeman said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

To be fair I could see main IP changing being a thing, but then addon ip's should just be routed towards your IP.

Francisco

Fair enough, remains to be seen, but since @angelius mentioned about OVH IP prices, the potential savings just jumped up even more since there are no monthly IP costs (at least for now). What little that floating IP no re-setup fees thing would salvage if true, has gone up into smoke with this new fact I overlooked.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2021

So many people in this thread are kicking, screaming and throwing a fit, all because "but we thought we could just ignore IPv6 forever" is turning out not to be the case.

Yes, IPv4 are scarce and they cost a premium. You have been warned this will happen for years. And there's no long-term merit in jumping between providers by now, the prices are going to rise everywhere.

• fLoofLoo Member
    edited July 2021

@rm_ said:
    So many people in this thread are kicking, screaming and throwing a fit, all because "but we thought we could just ignore IPv6 forever" is turning out not to be the case.

Yes, IPv4 are scarce and they cost a premium. You have been warned this will happen for years. And there's no long-term merit in jumping between providers by now, the prices are going to rise everywhere.

Its not because we're afraid of IPv6. I offer all services via IPv6 already. Mail, Webhosting, Game Servers, everything. The problem is, getting CPE to work with it.

For example: All Vodafone Germany Cable customers who are running their cable box in bridged mode (router acting as 'dumb' modem only) do not receive an IPv6 announcement from Vodafone. Only if you use the Vodafone Box as router.

THAT is the real problem we're facing. The CPE and Tier 1/2/3 ISPs who give a flying fuck about that.

Thanked by 3OhJohn vimalware Cybr
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said: To be fair I could see main IP changing being a thing, but then addon ip's should just be routed towards your IP.

They can move a subnet to a new server if it's in the same DC/area (e.g FSN1-DC10 can move to any other server in FSN1-DC10).

If you order a new server you request its in the same location so the subnet can be switched over.

If you want to keep the main IP they will shutdown your old server, de-rack in and re-rack the new one in it's old place - but they do charge for this.

That would save on subnet setup fees, unless you're just grabbing auction servers and have less control over location.

@Mr_Tom said: That would save on subnet setup fees, unless you're just grabbing auction servers and have less control over location.

So the question is, if you swap to another node (and get a new primary IP), do you have to pay the setup fee on a previously paid for block? Or will they move it within the same zone without screwing clients?

Francisco

• gdarkogdarko Member

This is insane.

Time to migrate to another provider.

@stefeman said;
    Fair enough, remains to be seen, but since @angelius mentioned about OVH IP prices, the potential savings just jumped up even more since there are no monthly IP costs (at least for now). What little that floating IP no re-setup fees thing would salvage if true, has gone up into smoke with this new fact I overlooked.

Do not bank on OVH sitting on their thumbs on this.

OVH has 3.8M IP's in hand. They're going public and will want to have some way to boost their numbers. What better way than charging 1EUR ~ 2EUR/month per IP. Even if they are only using ~50% of what they have, that's a few million per month.

Stock owners will froth at the mouth over that sort of increase at no additional operating overhead.

Francisco

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said: So the question is, if you swap to another node (and get a new primary IP), do you have to pay the setup fee on a previously paid for block?

Well, the email from them about it says the setup fee is for "new orders for additional IPv4 addresses" - so although existing subnets will have their monthly price increased I would assume from the wording that moving it to a new server wouldn't add a new setup fee. But without confirming with Hetzner that's just my assumption on how it's worded.

Thanked by 1Francisco