Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Important Changes at Spearware Networks - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Important Changes at Spearware Networks

Comments

• @SWN_Michael said:

@GOBBLES said:

@SWN_Michael said: but I know he's going to be deploying some nicer hardware here soon for the current clients, and doing some very nice improvements

Which means he is coming back.. ;) There's other markets in addition to LET. Curtis doesn't need this place heh.

I know that but u just said "here"..

@SWN_Michael said: but I know he's going to be deploying some nicer hardware here soon for the current clients

• mike1smike1s Member

@GOBBLES said:

@SWN_Michael said:

@GOBBLES said:

@SWN_Michael said: but I know he's going to be deploying some nicer hardware here soon for the current clients, and doing some very nice improvements

Which means he is coming back.. ;) There's other markets in addition to LET. Curtis doesn't need this place heh.

@SWN_Michael said: but I know he's going to be deploying some nicer hardware here soon for the current clients

Yes.... The clients that are being sold to Slacker/Curtis....

Thanked by 1GOBBLES
  • @SWN_Michael said:

@GOBBLES said:

@SWN_Michael said:

@GOBBLES said:

Yes.... The clients that are being sold to Slacker/Curtis....

All the best.. hope everything works out for u..

• Unixfy said:

Hey, that's me!

Thanked by 2Unixfy iKeyZ
  • JasonMJasonM Member

Seems the owner runs Kind of summerhost(s)! Live for 1 year, then gets sold out to somebody else! Also such business decisions aren't taken in a day or two!

What was the motive to launch Montreal, Canada location vps on June 22nd 2021 when the OP knew they would be closing the doors on June 29th 2021 - that is within just 6-7 days!!!!!!

Hostmaxim closed it doors in 2020 and after a year, the newly created spearwearnetworks! :(

• @SirFoxy you haven't bruh'ed in the last 8 hours, we're getting worried

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • @jmgcaguicla said:
    @SirFoxy you haven't bruh'ed in the last 8 hours, we're getting worried

A bruh gotta sleep m8

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • drizbodrizbo Member

I always read the name as Spywarenetworks.

Best of luck with health situation though.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @dahartigan said:

@jmgcaguicla said:
    @SirFoxy you haven't bruh'ed in the last 8 hours, we're getting worried

A bruh gotta sleep m8

rise and bruhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Thread re-opened temporary to allow Curtis @wdmg to say something, there's something going on in the background and it is best for Curtis to say his side of story.

• @FAT32 said:
    Thread re-opened temporary to allow Curtis @wdmg to say something, there's something going on in the background and it is best for Curtis to say his side of story.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

Hi all,

I wanted to login to the forum to discuss this acqusition. We first started working with Mike when he was interested in offering services in Montreal, QC which sprung out of this thread (https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/172144/vps-in-montreal-outside-of-ovh-datacenter). Mike knew this is something we could help with, and was a customer of ours already prior to this, we helped him build his network and router.

After discussing with Mike where he'd like to see the company go, we decided to form a partnership in which we provided him a 21 GB memory limited reseller on our Ryzen infrastructure in Montreal in exchange for pricing at cost. After signing the paperwork for this, we created Mike the reseller account and helped him link it to his WHMCS instance for selling. Shortly after, this thread was created by Mike to advertise it (https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/172270/spearware-networks-has-arrived-in-canada-we-have-ddos-protection-and-ryzens-were-not-using-ovh).

At the same point of beginning this trial phase partnership, we were doing due diligence on the company to see if a financial investment was the best route to continue, or, a takeover. As we were discussing, Mike began expressing interest in selling the VPS portion of the company. He shared more in-depth financial status information (monthly recurring revenue, semi-annual recurring revenue, annual recurring revenue) along with information on his current costs to run the operation and node specifications.

As we evaluated the information and obtained more from Mike, it seemed to line up and match all the expectations. At this point, we began negotiating a buyout price and the next steps. Mike was very insistent on nothing changing which was our goal as well. Once the negotiations were made, we took 2 days preparing the joint statement and a plan of action. Once this was made, the LET post went live by Mike.

All was going well on the acquisition front and we received full access to all the hypervisor servers and the full client data export to prepare our import of clients. The client export was 157 customers once we removed pre-existing customers whom are also our direct customers in our system.

We then began to investigate the hypervisors for any potential problems (predictive maintenance planning) and noted 2 hypervisors were under hefty load and CPU maxing out, while the third (newest) hypervisor was under-loaded. We quickly tracked this down to a series of 3 VPSes abusing and applied caps. At this point, we noticed that there was no default CPU utilization cap set on any of the virtual servers we investigated, allowing the CPU to be punched.

Once this issue was resolved, we started being contacted by existing Spearware Networks customers to ask questions such as if the plans are changing, to which they were not. We also had questions regarding things like if the customer can keep their unmetered 2Gbps port or they were not specific about their exact port speed.

This began causing red flags as we were not informed and nor did our due diligence point out that there was more than 400Mbps-800Mbps speed being offered. Continuing our investigation, we identified that machines with 16GB of memory had caps set at 2Gbps. We also learned that during Spearware Network's migration to Virtualizor from ProxCP the network caps were never applied.

Spearware Networks had a 10Gbps port with a 2Gbps commitment on it, however, with no network capping being applied this means there are virtual machines with access to 10Gbps unmetered for around $5 per month.

As we kept diving more with hands-on access, the inconsistencies kept growing and there were things that Spearware Networks failed to disclose.

This leaves us in a difficult position as we do want to help the Tampa customers, however, with the inconsistencies and issues identified, we cannot in good faith continue this agreement. In accordance with our buyout, we have elected to terminate our agreement.

What does this mean for you?

If you have any services with Spearware Networks in Tampa, I suggest speaking with Mike directly, or, finding a new home for your services. @Francisco has offered to help migrate your data to BuyVM, but there is no discounts/price match/etc. Please contact him with your service IP and we will confirm it and transfer a disk image Miami.

If you have services in Montreal, please contact us directly and we will move you over and honour Mike's pricing/plans to you, in additional to offering you a three month service credit for the inconvenience this has caused you.

I sincerely wish the best for all involved and I deeply regret that we were not able to close this acquisition.

Curtis

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Well, best of luck to the customers.

What a twist.

Thanked by 3wdmg mike1s seriesn
  • @wdmg said: we cannot in good faith continue this agreement

Great acquisition I would say!

@wdmg said: If you have any services with Spearware Networks in Tampa, I suggest speaking with Mike directly, or, finding a new home for your services. @Francisco has offered to help migrate your data to BuyVM, but there is no discounts/price match/etc. Please contact him with your service IP and we will confirm it and transfer a disk image Miami.

@Francisco will you accept me as a customer? I lost my home :flushed:

• mike1smike1s Member
    edited June 2021

Community,

There is no excuse for this. I got in over my head, and I am deeply sorry for this. I was trying to do the right thing and provide a quality service, but forgot that I needed to walk before I ran.

I will continue to offer refunds for this months paid service to all customers as I have done from the start. I won't be returning to the VPS hosting industry as a provider. The hardware will be kept online for at least the next 30 days to allow time for migrations.

• Oh fuck.

• @SWN_Michael said:

@NobodyInteresting said:
    So my Tampa VPS will remain in Tampa with same IP (for next 2 months at least)?

The VPS' will remain in Tampa, however IPs will be changing in about 2 months or so

So I'm guessing that didn't age well either.

Thanked by 2seriesn bulbasaur
  • @SWN_Michael said:
    Community,

There is no excuse for this. I got in over my head, and I am deeply sorry for this. I was trying to do the right thing, but forgot that I needed to walk before I ran.

I will continue to offer refunds for this months paid service to all customers as I have done from the start. I won't be returning to the VPS hosting industry as a provider. The hardware will be kept online for at least the next 30 days to allow time for migrations.

How to claim a refund? Maybe click a refund to all payments you received in the last month instead of manually awaiting for a ticket?

157 customers = 157 clicks.

Thanked by 1mike1s
  • mike1smike1s Member

@NobodyInteresting said:

@SWN_Michael said:

@NobodyInteresting said:
    So my Tampa VPS will remain in Tampa with same IP (for next 2 months at least)?

The VPS' will remain in Tampa, however IPs will be changing in about 2 months or so

So I'm guessing that didn't age well either.

I'll be honest. I made alot of mistakes. I was initially working on trying to fix things and make it right. I was in way over my head and fucked up massively. There's nothing I can say or do to make this right. I will say one thing, I do in fact have multiple family members that are sick, that part is true. I have failed the LET community twice.

• lmao

Thanked by 2gazmull Falzo
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@SirFoxy said:
    lmao

well I guess I have to take over now

bruhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @skorupion said:

@SirFoxy said:
    lmao

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@SirFoxy said:

@skorupion said:

@SirFoxy said:
    lmao

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@SWN_Michael said:
    I won't be returning to the VPS hosting industry as a provider. The hardware will be kept online for at least the next 30 days to allow time for migrations.

Press the involucrate button and power off the servers.

• mike1smike1s Member

@yoursunny said:

@SWN_Michael said:
    I won't be returning to the VPS hosting industry as a provider. The hardware will be kept online for at least the next 30 days to allow time for migrations.

Press the involucrate button and power off the servers.

Not doing that. I'm giving time for clients to move.

• in conclusion: gg no re

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited June 2021

@SWN_Michael ,
    Why you don't just continue your business in your Tampa location, since the acquisition is cancelled? I honestly fail to understand why you wanted to sell the VPS business? Instead of hiring people to manage the day to day?

Just an honest question, no drama intended, respectfully, don't answer if inconvenient.

Cordially,

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Everyone screws up. Integrity is when you own up to it and either fix it or accept the consequences.

Michael I wish you well and I'm here if you ever want to bounce anything off of me. I'm no @Francisco but I sometimes have a good thought or two.

Curtis, nice to see you back here. You're not the Curtis that left here all those years ago. Thankfully most of us aren't who we were back then.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

In my book, people rarely change.

Thanked by 1JasonM