Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cociu - hostsolutions.ro - NETSILVANIA | Move your services! - Page 39
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cociu - hostsolutions.ro - NETSILVANIA | Move your services!

Comments

• D3n3yD3n3y Member
    edited May 2021

:(

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

😏

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Here's the short version:

There was this provider named cociu:

He had a little problem:

There were some concerns from some financial filings:

A lot of people lost their Linux ISOs:

And then there was silence:

The community reacted with a mix of amusement and disappointment:

cociu played it off like this:

He said he needed to buy some hard drives but couldn't due to Chia:

His story didn't entirely make sense:

There was the usual here:

cociu went back into hiding:

Except for a quick attempt to travel back in time to post an announcement:

Which was immediately detected by LowEndSherlocks:

cociu then decided his best move was to email new offers:

And cociu lost his provider tag:

And somewhere, @Nekki feels sad about all of this:

• @raindog308 said:

10/10, Netflix adaptation when?

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • ps20090ps20090 Member

@raindog308 said: Here's the short version:

I loved it!

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited May 2021

Small correction:

@raindog308 said:
    There were some concerns from some rumored financial [and court] filings:

(italics mine)

He said he needed to buy some hard drives but couldn't due to Chia:

which actually sounds reasonable because hardware prices did go up quite dramatically, chia being one factor

cociu then decided his best move was to email new offers:

which is widely seen as kind of a suicidal move

And cociu lost his provider tag:

May we know which admin or mod took it away ?

And somewhere, @Nekki feels sad about all of this:

I guess he's not alone with that ...

AFAIC on one hand I don't care much because I only have one small storage box there, on the other hand I find it sad that we basically lose an entire market segment, albeit one perceived as smelly by some. But still, having or not having a provider offering super-cheap say 98% available VPSs makes quite a difference for more than a few people.

My personal POV is that a super-cheap provider can be forgiven the occasional down-time but what will - and should - not be forgiven is lies, nearly not at all communicating and/or only with massive delay and then, to top it off, meanwhile launching new products and running a promo via one of the very channels of communication that was totally ignored wrt. informing - and updating - customers about the down-time.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@raindog308 © 2021 LowEndEntertainment. All rights reserved.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @jsg said: May we know which admin or mod took it away ?

I'm fairly sure it was @hawc who involucrated the tag (as per his comment earlier in the thread) but I could be wrong.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2021

@niknar1900 said: he's eastern european

Dafuq? I agree cociu is somewhat incompetent, but should I point out how many eastern europeans work for MS, Google (and own it), RedHat, etc?

https://www.idgconnect.com/article/3580978/how-romania-has-become-europes-latest-tech-hub.html

Judging people by their nationality or, even worse, geographical space is at least weird and at worst racist.

Back to the topic, I am curious, if he recovers, he is Houdini.

Thanked by 3DP Daniel15 vimalware
  • @Maounique said: if he recovers, he is Houdini.

This ain't cociu's first involucration, he'll bounce back.

Thanked by 2SirFoxy BBTN
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Fat girls also like to bounce back!

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@PieHasBeenEaten said:
    Fat girls also like to bounce back!

fat girls do not like to bounce back they like missionary 0/10 do not throw back

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • No update yet on an ETA up date?

• @JerryHou said:
    No update yet on an ETA up date?

One of the upcoming Mondays.

Thanked by 1bdl
  • just blew 10% of monthly data loading this page.

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • @JerryHou said:
    No update yet on an ETA up date?

based on @cociu 's reply, it took him a week to recover 15 (out of 400) drivers. it will take him more than a month to recover all the 400 drivers

@dahartigan said: This ain't cociu's first involucration, he'll bounce back.

I wish him the best, I know first hand the pressure of dealing with such things. When i was younger i spent three days to recover after a power issue without sleep, at one point i simply laid down on the floor waiting for an operation to complete, fell asleep and a colleague found me thinking i had a heart attack or something.
    I think LET wouldn't be the same without him.

Thanked by 3vimalware default BBTN
  • LeviLevi Member

I'am proud of community and how it's mattured. Cociu is like a kid who spred fecal matter over his face. And community instead of sinking into rage flames just pour mild humor and patiently wait until kid washes away all fecies from his face.

I assume that when he saw the situation/problem he was shocked and very much frightened by the reaction he expected/imagined. So (again, just what I assume) he made a decision along the line "We must repair that somehow and fast. Once it's working again I'll offer a generous compensation on LET and serve the kind of 'Oh, I'm so sorry' blabla that is expected".

And then days passed with ridiculous progress and he began to understand that this will be a bloody mess and decided for a "I'll just duck and cover and use a 'you want me to get things running again, right? So I have to fully focus on that and can't talk" mode ... and hoped that his reputation could somehow be repaired once things were back to normal.

A psychologist friend once explained that to me. If people are confronted by a problem they feel they can't solve within reasonable parameters -and- there are people watching, then they decide to simply act as if there was no problem while frantically but "secretely" working on solving it.

Whatever. I don't think that @cociu was/is driven by evil motivations - but that's not the issue anyway. The issue is that he didn't communicate, that he seems to have lied, and to top it off, that he still ran a promo.

I don't think he'll go belly up, in fact I even assume that it's not unlikely that he'll get his provider tag back (with some conditions, probably) but (a) he will need months to get rid of his bad reputation and there'll be a scar for years, and (b) and worse, I think it's just not in him. He's not a bad person but he is the way he is and I'm afraid he'll never learn to properly communicate, to provide realistic ETA, to not make dubious or worthless promises.
    But he'll survive. One major reason being that there is nobody capable and/or willing to be in his market niche. And cheap! happens to sell well.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@jsg said:
    I assume that when he saw the situation/problem he was shocked and very much frightened by the reaction he expected/imagined. So (again, just what I assume) he made a decision along the line "We must repair that somehow and fast. Once it's working again I'll offer a generous compensation on LET and serve the kind of 'Oh, I'm so sorry' blabla that is expected".

And then days passed with ridiculous progress and he began to understand that this will be a bloody mess and decided for a "I'll just duck and cover and use a 'you want me to get things running again, right? So I have to fully focus on that and can't talk" mode ... and hoped that his reputation could somehow be repaired once things were back to normal.

A psychologist friend once explained that to me. If people are confronted by a problem they feel they can't solve within reasonable parameters -and- there are people watching, then they decide to simply act as if there was no problem while frantically but "secretely" working on solving it.

Whatever. I don't think that @cociu was/is driven by evil motivations - but that's not the issue anyway. The issue is that he didn't communicate, that he seems to have lied, and to top it off, that he still ran a promo.

I don't think he'll go belly up, in fact I even assume that it's not unlikely that he'll get his provider tag back (with some conditions, probably) but (a) he will need months to get rid of his bad reputation and there'll be a scar for years, and (b) and worse, I think it's just not in him. He's not a bad person but he is the way he is and I'm afraid he'll never learn to properly communicate, to provide realistic ETA, to not make dubious or worthless promises.
    But he'll survive. One major reason being that there is nobody capable and/or willing to be in his market niche. And cheap! happens to sell well.

the most important thing you said is "I don't think cociu is up to evil intentions" everyone wants to paint him as evil doing an exit scam, but the reality is he's doing his best even if it isn't perfect.

• fkjfkj Member

Don't think it's just a storage issue at all. I have a dedicated server at HS, which went down 1d 18h ago, so it's either they are still having issues with UPS, or something worse financially.

My 2 cents, dedi at HS had been very stable for years until now, rarely issues with HS's network and power (at least without me noticing). The main problem with HS is the incapability to manage the fleet of storage VPS (at least I don't think they should do so with Proxmox, it cannot achieve the level of monitoring work required for 400+ hard disks). If the whole node is a backup server, then it might be fine, but the fact cociu allow torrenting on them had an impact on disk's lifespan, meaning larger effort at maintenance. And now we have Chia. Simply put, if cociu can recover from this, I think he should just cancel and refund all the storage VPS, that's gonna save him a lot of manpower to focus on those NVMe, which will be more capable for him base on the current number/ability of staffs he has.

edited May 2021

@jsg said:
    competent analysis

I happen to agree. I have been there, with the difference that I have never ducked. Leaving out some "details", maybe, but it is not really possible to duck after a screw-up in IT&C even if it is not your fault at all. Everyone will know something is fried, even the cleaner.

@fkj said: And now we have Chia.

I have looked that up and it seems it is not that profitable, heck, ATM ETH can fully pay up for a LAPTOP in the time chia pays for a hard disk only. Maybe I am wrong, I only heard about that today :expressionless:

Thanked by 1jsg

@SirFoxy said:
    the most important thing you said is "I don't think cociu is up to evil intentions" everyone wants to paint him as evil doing an exit scam, but the reality is he's doing his best even if it isn't perfect.

Absolutely. If he wanted to scam his users that would look very different and we'd be confronted with a fait accompli.

Thanked by 1coolice

@Maounique said:

@jsg said:
    competent analysis

I happen to agree. I have been there, with the difference that I have never ducked. Leaving out some "details", maybe, but it is not really possible to duck after a screw-up in IT&C even if it is not your fault at all. Everyone will know something is fried, even the cleaner.

Yes. The weird thing is that IMO his honor and desire to act honorably is so strong that it paralyzes what little communication skill (and readiness) he has.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jsg said: act honorably is so strong that it paralyzes what little communication skill (and readiness) he has.

What are you talking about? Too much honor?? Have you been watching too much Avatar or something?

He has multiple people on these forums that have posted in this thread that he could have relay information in excellent english. He has to do exactly nothing but work on it, and have them post something.

He hasn't done that, the staff haven't either.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: He hasn't done that, the staff haven't either.

Staff will be posting tomorrow that @cociu is a scammer by not paying his salary.

El-Cheapo your turn will come soon!

• LeviLevi Member

@alexvolk said: El-Cheapo your turn will come soon!

No. He will be paid in chia.

edited May 2021

A TL;DR (kind of) consensus so far:
    -Good intentions;
    -Poor communication;
    -Mediocre technical skills;
    -Very serious doubts about viability and honesty.

Thanked by 1mikewazar
  • @Maounique said:
    A TL;DR (kind of) consensus so far:
    -Good intentions;
    -Poor communication;
    -Mediocre technical skills;
    -Very serious doubts about viability and honesty.

+Involucrated 400 drives

Thanked by 2alilet mikewazar

@dahartigan said:

+Involucrated 400 drives

Our regular LETer is in trouble if has to read more than 20 words at a time.

Thanked by 1Shazan
This discussion has been closed.