Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears. - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears.

Comments

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited March 2021

@UrDN

Is this a case of you needing to be right, no matter what?

Fact is that France is not one of the most expensive countries to run a DC and provide hosting services.

And fact is that one of their colo units was destroyed/rendered unusable by a fire. IF they had had proper anti-fire systems that wouldn't have happened, simple as that.

Also fact is that OVH is known for - and proud of - their "cost optimized" DCs, read slapped together in the cheapest way possible.

Well noted, I do understand that saving costs on a DC is a significant way to keep prices low - and that's acceptable to a reasonable degree. But OVH clearly went far beyond that, one result being that all summed up they had no effective anti-fire system. Maybe they did have some sprinklers, although I doubt that for the reason alone that that'd be stupid ... but at the end of the day their DC unit burned down, sprinklers or not.

And btw, please stop talking about "free cooling". For one, it's not free, just much cheaper than e.g. chiller cooling, plus it's very little to nothing to do with what happened.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited March 2021

@jsg said: And fact is that one of their colo units was destroyed/rendered unusable by a fire. IF they had had proper anti-fire systems that wouldn't have happened, simple as that.

You're talking out of your ass, simple as that.

You claim to know facts but have nothing to back-up what your saying and are just making things up as far as I can tell. So, until such time as you have specific facts and evidence to prove what your are saying IS true, I will continue to proceed as if you are talking out of your ass...

Cheers!

Thanked by 1sithrebel15
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

What I am guessing based on what I've read and seen -

1. The DC does not have a direct fire suppression system. Instead, like Hetzner, a fire detection system is there to call the fire department upon detection of fire.
      Why this system? Like Dr. Legasov once said in HBO Chernobyl, "It's cheaper."

2. Their DC is barebone. Wooden floors and no fireproof section doors.

3. Whatever the cause of fire, it was likely electrical fire that spread out too fast.

By time fire trucks arrived (Probably 5 minutes or so, I assume), fire was already spread to the whole building.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

This same datacenter contained the backups of the Dominion voting machines that would have proved that Donald Trump won the 2020 election and contained Hillary's emails.

Tin foil hat time, guys! /s

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@eva2000 said:
    Interesting, if you had 3rd party system monitoring to track/chart this, it would be interesting to see!

I wish lol, I used to, but now I monitor resources and stats in a more local way with alerting.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

I don't know in France but in many countries this kind of accidents would lead to a police investigation, because that was a severe threat to human safety and there could be some responsabilities there. Somebody could have died there, fortunately nobody got injured.

• I hope that wooden floor was at least built with fire resistant structure. Otherwise...well, what the hell.

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

@user54321 said:

@yoursunny said:

My website at @SpartanHost SEA is in good hands:

sprinkler

Yep even a small fire will destroy everything as soon as the water based ones go off. Very good hands.

Yes, for anyone that wasn't aware, this example is a dry-pipe pre-action sprinkler system. A purely gas based system would be lovely but seems not too many US data centres use those based on my research, dry-pipe pre-action seems to be widespread.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@TheLinuxBug said:

@jsg said: And fact is that one of their colo units was destroyed/rendered unusable by a fire. IF they had had proper anti-fire systems that wouldn't have happened, simple as that.

You're talking out of your ass, simple as that.

Why do you address me when talking to yourself?

Here you go, directly from the OVH CEO's mouth ->

The 5:20pm post, I quote "Fire destroyed SBG2"

So, until such time as you have specific facts and evidence to prove what your are saying IS true, I will continue to proceed as if you are talking out of your ass...

Si tacuisses ...

• seenuseenu Member

@isunbejo said:

@K4Y5 said:

@corbpie said:
    Actually, did the Wishhosting black Friday Ryzen get burnt down??? Oh shit I'm affected

Oh fuck! Just realized that too. Luckily, it was just a backup RDP box for me with nothing that I don't already have backed-up.

@K4Y5 said:

@corbpie said:
    Actually, did the Wishhosting black Friday Ryzen get burnt down??? Oh shit I'm affected

Oh fuck! Just realized that too. Luckily, it was just a backup RDP box for me with nothing that I don't already have backed-up.

Check VPS with VNC via control panel wishosting, VPS status is online and success login but no internet connection. All data on disk is safe.

Yeah...atleast data is safe, happy to know :)

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited March 2021

@jsg said: The 5:20pm post, I quote "Fire destroyed SBG2"

You claimed you knew they had no fire suppression system and that is what lead to this being out of control, you still have failed to show any evidence that this was the case. Outside 'speculation' in this thread I haven't seen any specific document stating specifically either what systems they had in place or the cause of what occurred.

I know you conveniently left this part out of your reply and instead went on to try and prove to me, as if I couldn't read my self, that it burnt down... to which I say, DUH! This doesn't mean the reason it burnt down was because of a lack of a fire suppression system as you stated as 'fact'.

I can smell the fecal matter wafting off your words...

Cheers!

Thanked by 2sithrebel15 iKeyZ
  • LeviLevi Member

All Tier 3 and up DC's has firefight and alarm systems. None of the OVH DC's currently hold higher than Tier 2 certificate. Here is a nice map with most of worlds DC's https://www.datacentermap.com/

And no, Tier category does not guarantee that you can't be burned down, flooded, suffer from earth quake etc. It just gives you hope and sense of assurance (at possible higher service price).

Thanked by 2dnwk jsg
  • darbdarb Member

hostile traffic is down across the internet; truely there is a silver linning to every dark cloud.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@MannDude said:
    This same datacenter contained the backups of the Dominion voting machines that would have proved that Donald Trump won the 2020 election and contained Hillary's emails.

Tin foil hat time, guys! /s

F. I knew Sleepy Joe would find my stash of Clinton emails. Syria was just the distraction...

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @MikePT said:

@jsg said:

@MikePT said:
    I feel sad for OVH. Damn. This was huge, I've been following the updates pretty much every hour.

) don't feel sad for OVH, not even a bit. They just got what the odds of their hard playing the profit lottery had coming.

Whom I do feel sad for is OVH's customers.

I have been reading some forums etc. If they didn't bother much about fire extinction systems... Then that's pure stupidity. Heh. And OVH was about to IPO.
    Not sure how many millions they just lost. What about insurance? This is horrid.

Granted, I too feel sad for the OVHs customers.

Free Air flow datacenter are green and with low PUE ... but I'm not sure how effective inert gas fire suppression system will work in such one as fresh air constantly rushing in

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@coolice said:
    Free Air flow datacenter are green and with low PUE ... but I'm not sure how effective inert gas fire suppression system will work in such one as fresh air constantly rushing in

Auto shut-off of external air when fire alarm triggers?

Thanked by 1coolice
  • @TheLinuxBug ah you must be new, don't read stuff jsg writes, you lose brain cells and lifetime if you do that. So please don't quote him so others get tricked in getting braindamage by accident. Simply ignore him.
    Thank you

Thanked by 2yoursunny lentro
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

A data center with wooden floors? Were they out of their minds?

Thanked by 1jsg
  • UrDNUrDN Member

@jsg said:
    Fact is that France is not one of the most expensive countries to run a DC and provide hosting services.

It is one of the most expensive country for ANYTHING not just for running a DC.

And fact is that one of their colo units was destroyed/rendered unusable by a fire. IF they had had proper anti-fire systems that wouldn't have happened, simple as that.

I haven't said the contrary.

And btw, please stop talking about "free cooling". For one, it's not free, just much cheaper than e.g. chiller cooling, plus it's very little to nothing to do with what happened.

Free cooling means that OVH is not being charged for the air. And Free Cooling is a much more appropriate term since this building didn't have any adiabatic system either even to cool down the water cooling system.

• coldcold Member

lets hope this make the floors of plastik this time ! just in case....

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • This has had me thinking about my own servers.

Does anyone know if RBX-2 and RBX-4 are geographically separate or on the same site ?

Thanks in advance

• @cazrz said:
    Still they are responsible for what happened on their house. Even if someone intentionally burn it or even if caused by nature. Even if they have ToS. That's IMHO.

If negligence was part of the cause, then yes they could be held entirely responsible. Otherwise, that attitude is like a bloke being attacked by an escaped lion and blaming the bloke for being in the same place that the escaped lion was (or blaming the lion, which would also be wrong). Accidents and other unpredictable events happen, you should have a DR plan for anything of value, and not expect someone else to maintain the facilities needed for that DR plan for you for free.

Hopefully there will be an investigation, the results of which that are not kept private, that will allow us to make in informed opinion. But no matter what "I didn't pay you to keep backups for me, but I expected you to anyway" is not a how people should be, and even if the fire is due to negligence losing data due to not having backups (either maintained yourself or paid for for someone else to manage) is also negligence which they are not responsible for in either case.

• valkvalk Member

@cold said:
    lets hope this make the floors of plastik this time ! just in case....

Plastik? No god please no

• @happyman said:
    This has had me thinking about my own servers.

Does anyone know if RBX-2 and RBX-4 are geographically separate or on the same site ?

Thanks in advance

If google map is correct rbx is not shipping containers building

• @coolice said:

If google map is correct rbx is not shipping containers building

Thanks - That looks promising. I assume RBX-2 and RBX-4 are within the same building though ? - I had always assumed the different numbers represented physically separate buildings at different sites.

• cazrzcazrz Member

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@cazrz said:
    Still they are responsible for what happened on their house. Even if someone intentionally burn it or even if caused by nature. Even if they have ToS. That's IMHO.

If negligence was part of the cause, then yes they could be held entirely responsible. Otherwise, that attitude is like a bloke being attacked by an escaped lion and blaming the bloke for being in the same place that the escaped lion was (or blaming the lion, which would also be wrong). Accidents and other unpredictable events happen, you should have a DR plan for anything of value, and not expect someone else to maintain the facilities needed for that DR plan for you for free.

Hopefully there will be an investigation, the results of which that are not kept private, that will allow us to make in informed opinion. But no matter what "I didn't pay you to keep backups for me, but I expected you to anyway" is not a how people should be, and even if the fire is due to negligence losing data due to not having backups (either maintained yourself or paid for for someone else to manage) is also negligence which they are not responsible for in either case.

@cazrz said:

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@cazrz said:
    So their backup service is hosted on a different dc?

I've not looked into it, I must admit, though I would have thought so given they have DCs in multiple locations. Either the backups as a whole or one of the copies if the service includes redundant copies. That would be a reasonable standard to expect if you are paying for a backup service from them. I'd verify that if I were looking to use such a service of course, due diligence and all that.

Do you have information that says the paid for backups were held only locally to the servers hosting the data to be backed up?

Nope I have no idea about their backups because I don't use the backup of the provider where my service is at. I use a different dc and diff provider.

Nope I don't have idea about their backups, have not used it before. I always use different dc and different provider for backups. But if you are referring to those customers who does not have offsite backups on another dc then yes they should have. Even if you use AWS or Google you should have backups outside that dc with a different provider.

At the end of the day or even after the investigation, this event will still held them responsible for what happened. They may not be solely responsible for the event but they will be one of the responsible. Your logic about the bloke and lion cannot be compared to owning a company and a property getting on fire. LOL

People here blaming customers not having backups, yes its one fault on their end, but that does not excuse the company from the responsibility on the event. I pity the customers but not OVH.

There are reasons why this happened. But there could also be steps to prevent or avoid this unfortunate event. This is where you learn quality and so called investment. Not just cheap, affordable and greediness to increase profit.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2021

I assume RBX-2 and RBX-4 are within the same building though ? - I had always assumed the different numbers represented physically separate buildings at different sites.

Do not count on that. They never promised that numbered DCs in the same location have any degree of separation. Just that, one hangar is full, they build another one next to it. For example they are almost guaranteed to share the common Internet uplinks. These are not "availability zones" as you get on other providers. And nothing wrong with that, just get the expectations right. With OVH, if you want redundancy, better buy servers in different locations (e.g. GRA and RBX).

• RazzaRazza Member

In Roubaix they got two buildings 5 km apart no idea what dc are located at each.