Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears. - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears.

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

SBG2 is a goner. They will likely demolish and rebuild.

Hope they rename it to SBG666.

Thanked by 3vero ariq01 maverickp
  • http://travaux.ovh.net/vms/index_sbg2.html
    Looks like all is just a hoax, according to there status page all is up and running :D

That status page is for their board of directors to see. They don't need to know what happened.

• mike1smike1s Member
    edited March 2021

If anyone needs assistance during this tragedy, feel free to reach out, and I'll help where I can. I know Tampa, FL is quite far, but still glad to help.

• John_MJohn_M Member, Patron Provider

I hope it's not because the power issue trigger the fire. Again! ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR DATA!
    God bless those people and OVH.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@SWN_Michael said:
    If anyone needs assistance during this tragedy, feel free to reach out, and I'll help where I can. I know Tampa, FL is quite far, but still glad to help.

Actually I would use some, if you please.

I asked you in another thread if LET is the best place, considering all other popular web hosting forums, to sell your services - could you share your experiences?

• @vero said:

@serv_ee said:
    But being glad some DC catches fire...yeah.

Gotcha. You're Lithuanian, right? Because I don't know any other country which has saying like "happy, because neighbour's house is on fire". We should make today the national holiday. We already have one tomorrow, so it would fit perfectly.

Are you sure you've read his post properly?

• @vero said:

@SWN_Michael said:

Actually I would use some, if you please.

I asked you in another thread if LET is the best place, considering all other popular web hosting forums, to sell your services - could you share your experiences?

Right now, LET is our primary source of leads.

Thanked by 1vero

@kalimov622 said:
    Are you sure you've read his post properly?

Yes, just used it for lite trolling and as opportunity to present our country.

@SWN_Michael said:
    Right now, LET is our primary source of leads.

That was really helpful during this tragedy, thanks.

Thanked by 2kalimov622 mike1s

Yeah, Hashtag Serverlivesmatter.

Thanked by 1mike1s
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2021

@PHP_Friends to the rescue. They do temporarily offer free hosting to affected OVH customers to keep their services online. You can contact them via their email. Nice gesture :)
    OVH support probably is drowning right now and if clients can be hosted elsewhere for a bit that'd be quite helpful, I imagine.

PMS-Friends.

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

@DataGizmos said:
    @bradyh Where is the proof of no fire suppression system?

That is what i had read in one article.

• There are No disaster recovery plan, if you don't have backup.. move on!

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

Limestone Networks also Offering Free Services for Clients Affected by OVH Data Center Fire!

Thanked by 2Ympker cold
  • @yoursunny said:

My website at @SpartanHost SEA is in good hands:

sprinkler

Yep even a small fire will destroy everything as soon as the water based ones go off. Very good hands.

• cazrzcazrz Member

@Tony40 said:
    There are No disaster recovery plan, if you don't have backup.. move on!

OVH should have one for itself. No?

• @K4Y5 said:

@corbpie said:
    Actually, did the Wishhosting black Friday Ryzen get burnt down??? Oh shit I'm affected

Oh fuck! Just realized that too. Luckily, it was just a backup RDP box for me with nothing that I don't already have backed-up.

@K4Y5 said:

@corbpie said:
    Actually, did the Wishhosting black Friday Ryzen get burnt down??? Oh shit I'm affected

Oh fuck! Just realized that too. Luckily, it was just a backup RDP box for me with nothing that I don't already have backed-up.

Check VPS with VNC via control panel wishosting, VPS status is online and success login but no internet connection. All data on disk is safe.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

OVH's technical teams are preparing and shipping the equipment needed to set up a temporary network room. This equipment will be sent to the Strasbourg datacenter during the night.
    The site's fiber have been checked and were not affected by the fire.

OVH technical teams are doing their best to get the Strasbourg site back up and running. A next update is scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday March 11 at 10:30 am.

• UrDNUrDN Member
    edited March 2021

I think that people should realize that OVH operates in one of the most expensive country in the world and yet provides the cheapest services in the world.

In order to achieve that they have to figure out ways to reduce the cost to the extreme, and one good way to achieve this is to make use of Free Air to cool down the servers.

This is why you end up with a structure built with pretty much no walls and no fire doors on a river with a good wind catch.

So when a fire breaks and you have no fire doors and plenty of oxygen you end up with complete combustion.

I think OVH has always been low cost and should be treated and appreciated for that. For instance, we had a bunch of servers at them as DNS slaves, and now that they have burnt, we can't say that we really got impacted. But you have to be a fool to store your critical infrastructure there.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@UrDN said:
    But you have to be a fool to store your critical infrastructure there.

My critical infrastructure is on AlphaRacks. I'm losing billions per hour!

@yoursunny said:
    My critical infrastructure is on AlphaRacks. I'm losing billions per hour!

Suck your mom's dick! is what I'd say to those.

Thanked by 1jmgcaguicla
  • cazrzcazrz Member

@UrDN said:
    I think that people should realize that OVH operates in one of the most expensive country in the world and yet provides the cheapest services in the world.

In order to achieve that they have to figure out ways to reduce the cost to the extreme, and one good way to achieve this is to make use of Free Air to cool down the servers.

This is why you end up with a structure built with pretty much no walls and no fire doors on a river with a good wind catch.

So when a fire breaks and you have no fire doors and plenty of oxygen you end up with complete combustion.

I think OVH has always been low cost and should be treated and appreciated for that. For instance, we had a bunch of servers at them as DNS slaves, and now that they have burnt, we can't say that we really got impacted. But you have to be a fool to store your critical infrastructure there.

Its a disaster. No average joe have two houses with same things inside it. Not everybody can afford the type of setup that you do :)

A $5 vps that earns $50 is still critical to the client.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@o_be_one said:
    @MikeA i hope your business is not that impacted. Good luck if you have to deal with this!

I only have... had.. one server in SBG, but it is a VPS system. Sad but funny I was watching the load skyrocket and wondering what was wrong, I never would have thought that the server was dying from the heat. Then it stopped pinging.

R.I.P SBG2.

edited March 2021

@UrDN said:
    But you have to be a fool to store your critical infrastructure there.

Sounds right, even though it's disrespectful. I don't know anything about their DC's architecture, but there's something deeply disturbing about their attitude towards customer: something's working, something's not, you can't solve things fast and feels like there's no real support, if something's gone missing from your control panel, you can't do nothing about it, you can't do nothing about anything I suppose - even payments made to their bank never appeared on my account and they couldn't find where they gone even after asking numerous times. That's the weirdness I never felt before or after OVH.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited March 2021

@UrDN said:

>

What a bunch of BS! In fact it's cheaper to run a colo in France, among other reasons and in particular because they have about the lowest el. power costs in western continental Europe and e.g. much cheaper than what german DCs have to pay (and pass on).

No. making use of "free air" for cooling (adiabatic cooling) can be - and is - used in a variety of building styles.

No. The same could be done/achieved with other, and more professional, building styles.

Largely No. The problem is hardly the missing walls but the obvious absence of proper fire detection and fire extinction systems.

What kind of a weird and bent logic. DNS slaves are an utterly inept example because, by their very definition, they are redundant. How about the vast majority of web servers?
    Plus, OVH indirectly admitted it themselves. They had to wait for the fire service to arrive - which is particularly dumb because putting water onto and into servers is bound to destroy what the fire has left.

The truth is simple: one can offer low priced hosting services - and - at the same time meet at least reasonable minimal standards.

What OVH did is actually quite simple. They didn't give a f_ck about the safety of their oh so valued customers and instead cut corners beyond what's acceptable to make more profit. Simple as that.
    Oh and btw, they are not even particularly cheap.

Kudos to @PHP_Friends who really and credibly offer help to OVH victims (unlike quite a few others who's help offers smell like free publicity stunts).

"Disclosure": I am not a OVH customer nor one of PHP_Friends and my intention is neither to bash nore to laud some provider but simply to tell my view.

Thanked by 1Ympker