Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crazy Deals on Storage , SSD and hosting with SPICY GIVEAWAY This Black Friday from ServaRICA - Page 14
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Crazy Deals on Storage , SSD and hosting with SPICY GIVEAWAY This Black Friday from ServaRICA

Comments

• This offer has switched from Black Friday to Boxing Day.

https://servarica.com/clients/cart.php?gid=57

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

yes since we prepared well this time and managed our stock correctly we still have some stock that should last a bit

unfortunately for SSD plans we are out of stock (we should get new hardware in Jan or early Feb next year but it will be too late by then)

for storage the orders are slower now and by this rate i think we can always restock before the plans go out of stock

Thanked by 1Aoi
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited December 2020

@servarica_hani said:
    yes since we prepared well this time and managed our stock correctly we still have some stock that should last a bit

unfortunately for SSD plans we are out of stock (we should get new hardware in Jan or early Feb next year but it will be too late by then)

for storage the orders are slower now and by this rate i think we can always restock before the plans go out of stock

So... may we order more?

Thanked by 1ooowwww

@default said:
    So... may we order more?

I am sorry but 3 is the max we can do as we want to have more users try our services

Thanked by 2default Aoi
  • Is it possible to install Debian from ISO? I'm not familiar with Xen or this Xenica control panel but I usually dislike using prebuilt images. With KVM I always install from ISO.

• @Daniel15 said:
    Is it possible to install Debian from ISO? I'm not familiar with Xen or this Xenica control panel but I usually dislike using prebuilt images. With KVM I always install from ISO.

Hi,
    I think you have to raise a ticket (planning to do so myself in a day or so)

Form the link:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3180237/#Comment_3180237

you can have the iso and ask us to mount it for you

• @Daniel15 said:
    ... I usually dislike using prebuilt images.

Is it just your preference or there is a reason for that?

• have not tried asking via ticketing for ISO mount, but is that users and support team will make an appointment in advance esp when they are not in the same time-zone, or when the user reboots he'll come into another round of installation?

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2020

Not sure if this is expected but the "Polar Bear" 2TB storage VPS actually has slightly more than 2TB because there's two virtual drives - One (xvda) with 10 GB space and one (xvdb) with 2TB space.

@ernie88 said:

@Daniel15 said:
    ... I usually dislike using prebuilt images.

Is it just your preference or there is a reason for that?

Mainly personal preference. I've been using VPSes for a long time, and over the years I've seen low-quality images with a bunch of issues, for example (not saying that Servarica's images have this, just that they're general problems that many hosts have):

• /boot is ridiculously small, so the first kernel upgrade you do will complain about running out of disk space
    • The SSH host keys are hard-coded instead of being randomly generated, so every VPS created from the image has the same SSH keys!
    • There's random junk in log files (such as /var/log/syslog) from when they were testing the image
    • There's a whole heap of packages installed that I don't need. I've seen some hosts that have GNOME preinstalled on their images.
    • Also, I don't like root passwords flying around in plain text in emails. Most images have SSH preinstalled so the server is sitting with root access as soon as it's provisioned. I always want to have a normal user with sudo access, configure my SSH authorized_keys and disable PasswordAuthentication before opening SSH publicly.

If I use an ISO, I can be sure of exactly how it's configured (especially if I can upload my own ISO, since I can use an ISO I know to be good)

@vyas11 said: I think you have to raise a ticket (planning to do so myself in a day or so)

@aRNoLD said: or when the user reboots he'll come into another round of installation?

I opened a ticket, they responded within half an hour and mounted the ISO. I opened VNC, and the installer was sitting there waiting for me. Great! Then I accidentally clicked the "Send CtrlAltDel" button and it rebooted, which apparently unmounts the CD. Lost my mounted ISO. lol.

Didn't want to bother support again so I just used netboot.xyz instead. My VPS already had Servarica's standard Debian 10 image on it, so I installed iPXE and rebooted into it:

apt install ipxe
    grub-reboot "Network boot (iPXE)"
    reboot

Then press Ctrl+B when prompted and manually configure the network (since it looks like they do not have DHCP) and boot into netboot.xyz following the instructions at https://netboot.xyz/booting/ipxe/

• You can also put Debian's mini.iso in /boot/images, install grub-imageboot, reboot&launch the console and voilà.

edited December 2020

YABS for Polar Bear Storage Offer (2 TB, $48/year). Network is excellent. Disk speeds are good for HDD-based storage (not bad, but not amazing).

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-12-07                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Sat 26 Dec 2020 11:33:02 AM PST

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.60GHz
    CPU cores  : 2 @ 2593.548 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 1.9 GiB
    Swap       : 988.0 MiB
    Disk       : 1.9 TiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 27.98 MB/s    (6.9k) | 136.61 MB/s   (2.1k)
    Write      | 28.01 MB/s    (7.0k) | 137.33 MB/s   (2.1k)
    Total      | 56.00 MB/s   (14.0k) | 273.95 MB/s   (4.2k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 141.46 MB/s    (276) | 131.14 MB/s    (128)
    Write      | 148.98 MB/s    (290) | 139.87 MB/s    (136)
    Total      | 290.44 MB/s    (566) | 271.01 MB/s    (264)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 907 Mbits/sec   | 934 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 913 Mbits/sec   | 925 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 952 Mbits/sec   | 932 Mbits/sec
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 575 Mbits/sec   | 33.2 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 1.01 Gbits/sec  | 974 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 977 Mbits/sec   | 962 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 966 Mbits/sec   | 943 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 507 Mbits/sec   | 788 Mbits/sec

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 954 Mbits/sec   | 917 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 614 Mbits/sec   | 912 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 922 Mbits/sec   | 912 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 1.01 Gbits/sec  | 959 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 906 Mbits/sec   | 921 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 502
    Multi Core      | 973
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5543515

Thanked by 1maverick
  • @Daniel15 said:
    YABS for Polar Bear Storage Offer (2 TB, $48/year). Network is excellent. Disk speeds are good for HDD-based storage (not bad, but not amazing).
    ```

My FlyingFish SSD

#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-12-07                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Sat 26 Dec 2020 10:03:38 PM EST

Basic System Information:
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.60GHz
    CPU cores  : 4 @ 2594.041 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 3.8 GiB
    Swap       : 191.0 MiB
    Disk       : 196.6 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    Read       | 8.67 MB/s     (2.1k) | 37.89 MB/s     (592)
    Write      | 8.72 MB/s     (2.1k) | 38.18 MB/s     (596)
    Total      | 17.40 MB/s    (4.3k) | 76.07 MB/s    (1.1k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 71.95 MB/s     (140) | 56.37 MB/s      (55)
    Write      | 75.77 MB/s     (147) | 60.50 MB/s      (59)
    Total      | 147.72 MB/s    (287) | 116.87 MB/s    (114)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 960 Mbits/sec   | 931 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 951 Mbits/sec   | 926 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 1.01 Gbits/sec  | 974 Mbits/sec

• aRNoLDaRNoLD Member
    edited December 2020

@Daniel15 said:
    Not sure if this is expected but the "Polar Bear" 2TB storage VPS actually has slightly more than 2TB because there's two virtual drives - One (xvda) with 10 GB space and one (xvdb) with 2TB space.

I opened a ticket, they responded within half an hour and mounted the ISO. I opened VNC, and the installer was sitting there waiting for me. Great! Then I accidentally clicked the "Send CtrlAltDel" button and it rebooted, which apparently unmounts the CD. Lost my mounted ISO. lol.

Didn't want to bother support again so I just used netboot.xyz instead. My VPS already had Servarica's standard Debian 10 image on it, so I installed iPXE and rebooted into it:

apt install ipxe
    grub-reboot "Network boot (iPXE)"
    reboot

Then press Ctrl+B when prompted and manually configure the network (since it looks like they do not have DHCP) and boot into netboot.xyz following the instructions at https://netboot.xyz/booting/ipxe/

I'll try that.

Hope it will make it.

Update

the webpage VNC is so great

• @Shot2 said:
    You can also put Debian's mini.iso in /boot/images, install grub-imageboot, reboot&launch the console and voilà.

Wow! This is a really useful tip. I didn't know about this.

Regardless of the way you add an option to GRUB, using grub-reboot is still useful in cases where you can't access VNC fast enough (like with Servarica, as their VNC seems to take a very long time to connect, and disconnects on reboot, so I can never connect quickly enough to even see the GRUB menu). It lets you pick the option to boot into, just for the next boot.

edited December 2020

Oh, also the network speeds seem very good. I rsynced around 240 GB of stuff from a HostHatch storage VPS in Chicago to my new Servarica storage VPS (in Canada) and it maxed out the 1 Gb/s connection for the entire transfer.

@aRNoLD said: My FlyingFish SSD

I'm surprised the speeds are so low given that's supposed to be SSD-backed storage.

@aRNoLD said: the webpage VNC is so great

Yeah the VNC seems pretty flaky. The actual VPS is working fine, but running the installer over VNC was an interesting experience. I had to refresh the page a few times to get VNC to work. Then, for some reason, each page in the Debian text-based installer rendered slowly line by line, taking maybe 10 seconds to render a screen that's usually instant. I though perhaps the server was slow but it's actually very fast over SSH; it's just VNC that's slow. Maybe these are Xen quirks, I'm not sure (I don't have any other Xen VPSes).

Thanked by 1aRNoLD
  • @Shot2 said:
    You can also put Debian's mini.iso in /boot/images, install grub-imageboot, reboot&launch the console and voilà.

tried, but not enough space in /boot/ dir
    :(

• @aRNoLD said:

@Shot2 said:

You need some 50MB of free space in your /boot partition.

Thanked by 1aRNoLD
  • @aRNoLD said: Debian's mini.iso

@Shot2 said:

@aRNoLD said:

@Shot2 said:

You need some 50MB of free space in your /boot partition.

thought I made a mistake. I wgetted the netinstallCD iso and wanted to insert it to boot dir.

let me try it again.

• @aRNoLD said:

thought I made a mistake. I wgetted the netinstallCD iso and wanted to insert it to boot dir.

let me try it again.

It can not work with a full/net install cd (the 300MB~GB ones); you need a self-contained iso e.g. mini.iso (the 50~60MB ones).

• @Shot2 said:

@aRNoLD said:

let me try it again.

It can not work with a full/net install cd (the 300MB~GB ones); you need a self-contained iso e.g. mini.iso (the 50~60MB ones).

I finally gave it up. Just cannot catch up with the web-based VNC refresh speed. Every time I pushed the button, I was one second late and it booted into the HD.

• just select the boot choice before rebooting, or as a more permanent measure add some more delay to the boot menu... (I think the default is 5 seconds, too short for sluggish consoles etc.)

edit /etc/default/grub - look for timeout settings

update-grub and voilà...

Thanked by 1aRNoLD
  • @Shot2 said:
    just select the boot choice before rebooting, or as a more permanent measure add some more delay to the boot menu... (I think the default is 5 seconds, too short for sluggish consoles etc.)

update-grub and voilà...

seems it's the final solution

• @aRNoLD said:

@Shot2 said:

@aRNoLD said:

let me try it again.

I finally gave it up. Just cannot catch up with the web-based VNC refresh speed. Every time I pushed the button, I was one second late and it booted into the HD.

Open a ticket to have them mount your desired ISO. It should be quick.

• @TimboJones said:

@aRNoLD said:

@Shot2 said:

@aRNoLD said:

let me try it again.

Open a ticket to have them mount your desired ISO. It should be quick.

don't wanna bother ticketing system. just have a try on grub method. one of the hundred success and it's done then.

Thank you.

edited December 2020

@Shot2 said:
    just select the boot choice before rebooting, or as a more permanent measure add some more delay to the boot menu... (I think the default is 5 seconds, too short for sluggish consoles etc.)

update-grub and voilà...

You can alternatively use grub-reboot to choose which GRUB option to boot into on the next boot.

If a Debian ISO doesn't fit in the boot directory, you could use the netboot.xyz ISO and start the Debian installer from there.

• @servarica_hani - Happy new year!

Because it's a new year, did that limit of 3 services per client increase?

• @default said:
    @servarica_hani - Happy new year!

Man, you needs servers reduced to a syringe and injected right in your veins.

@servarica_hani give this man some more crack. (Publicly say no but PM him and say yes, hehe).

• @TimboJones said:

@default said:
    @servarica_hani - Happy new year!

Man, you needs servers reduced to a syringe and injected right in your veins.

@servarica_hani give this man some more crack. (Publicly say no but PM him and say yes, hehe).

Thanked by 1TimboJones

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to update that all our SSD and NVMe plans are restocked
    check the deals here
    https://servarica.com//clients/cart.php?gid=57

Thanked by 2Aoi jmgcaguicla
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@servarica_hani said:

Just wanted to update that all our SSD and NVMe plans are restocked