I wrote a script that sets up desktop environment on VPS and can be accessed through any web browser
As title suggests, I wrote a one-click script that sets up a desktop environment on a spare Linux VPS, and such desktop environment can be access through any web browser, so that you don't need to install VNC client software on each of your computers.
I hope this script can be helpful to some people, because guacamole and desktop setup can be somewhat difficult to new linux users, and this script will take care of those steps.
Stars and forks are appreciated.
- Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 20.04, or Debian 10. 64-bit only.
- 1 IPv4 (IPv6-only NAT should also work, but not tested).
- At least 1 GB RAM
How to use
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Har-Kuun/OneClickDesktop/master/OneClickDesktop.sh && sudo bash OneClickDesktop.sh
What does the script do
- Compile Guacamole server from source
- Configure and install Guacamole client
- Serve Guacamole with Tomcat 9
- Install xfce4 desktop GUI and firefox
- Set up TigerVNC
- Set up Nginx reverse proxy
- One-click install Let's Encrypt SSL
- Optionally and only experimentally, Chrome browser can be one-click installed using the plugin script
- It is highly discouraged to install desktop environment within your current production environment, because desktop environment will bring complexity to your server security.
- It is recommended to configure firewall after the setup so that your desktop environment will be safer.
All suggestions, questions, and bug reports are highly appreciated. Thanks!