Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wrote a script that sets up desktop environment on VPS and can be accessed through any web browser - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I wrote a script that sets up desktop environment on VPS and can be accessed through any web browser

2»

Comments

• @emre said:
    I installed an idle vps with this script. Script is very good and does what it says.
    But the performance of vnc over browser is not that good. Very laggy.
    If i installed the same server with xfce + x2go it almost feels like local desktop.

Thanks for the feedback. VNC is in general very laggy, and actually vnc over browser is a little bit faster than pure VNC, since bandwidth consumption is reduced. There is no doubt that x2go or xrdp would be much smoother. I'm considering making that into a script in the future.

Anyway is there a way to add other servers to this setup?
    As Guacamole is a server where we can add multiple remote desktops?
    If I enter the Guacamole after this installation it directly opens the desktop of the server it's installed over.
    where can I find other Guacamole setup screens to add more remote desktop servers?

For that purpose you'll have to manually edit /etc/guacamole/user-mapping.xml and /etc/guacamole/guacamole.properties and add servers accordingly.

@emre said: so 1 gb ram is not enough obviously to do something reasonably with this setup.

I managed to install this on my 1 GB vps and can use the firefox without problems; no Chrome though. But yup, 1.5 GB or more should be a more stable setup. I'll edit the introduction page to reflect this.

@jsg said:
    Thank you, but you might want to have a look at this (there highly likely are more):
    Critical Apache Guacamole Flaws Put Remote Desktops at Risk of Hacking

Thank you for pointing this out. I believe what @Carne suggests is a good solution to the security issues.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @Tejy said:

@youandri said:

@Tejy said:
    I'm stuck at: "Please input your 8-character VNC password:".
    What I must do? :/

I get this too.

I try 12345678 success to next step. :smiley:

Thanks, it worked! :D

Haha for this step you just need to type in anything that is 8-character in length, for example, LETnice9.

• @dedipromo said:

@Tejy said:

@youandri said:

@Tejy said:
    I'm stuck at: "Please input your 8-character VNC password:".
    What I must do? :/

I get this too.

I try 12345678 success to next step. :smiley:

Thanks, it worked! :D

Haha for this step you just need to type in anything that is 8-character in length, for example, LETnice9.

I have tried with 8char length and combination like that but not work.

Btw, i use debian 10.

• @jsg said:
    Thank you, but you might want to have a look at this (there highly likely are more):
    Critical Apache Guacamole Flaws Put Remote Desktops at Risk of Hacking

Regarding this, whether coincidence or not, after installing this script, I get a spam phishing abuse notification.

Maybe hacked. :hushed:

• @youandri said: I have tried with 8char length and combination like that but not work.

Probably there is some special symbols (such as $, @, etc.) in the string that was mishandled by the script.

@youandri said: Maybe hacked.

That's unfortunate. Probably it's safer to only allow 80/443 port connection, and block VNC ports, especially since TigerVNC only supports 8-char length password.

• @vimalware said:
    Is there a v2(ray) tutorial /script?
    I'd like to check it out. Link or PM plz?

I mean v2ex, not v2ray :D
    I haven't use v2ray yet, they are releasing next generation, so maybe wait. Meanwhile naiveproxy is simple and worth trying.

• @dedipromo said:

@youandri said: I have tried with 8char length and combination like that but not work.

Probably there is some special symbols (such as $, @, etc.) in the string that was mishandled by the script.

@youandri said: Maybe hacked.

That's unfortunate. Probably it's safer to only allow 80/443 port connection, and block VNC ports, especially since TigerVNC only supports 8-char length password.

I see, maybe that's the cause. :neutral:

• Just wanna post an update. As of v0.1.0 (updated yesterday), the script now supports RDP alongside VNC. RDP runs much faster and smoother than VNC, so the lagging situation can be improved. Moreover, you can now customize the screen resolution to best fit your usage style.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @vimalware said:
    Nice contribution OP. I don't mean to demean, but

X2go /(nomachine) would be more performant no? (owned local computer)

I'd pick Guacamole only if your local device is some crippled computer like a chromebook/corporate PC.

Kimsufi has x2go image. The performance is terrible to almost unusable (mainly used for downloading stuff from uptobox and the like.)

• Can I run this script multiple times if I want multiple users to be able to use my VPS at once? Thanks!

• @PuppyLover101 said:
    Can I run this script multiple times if I want multiple users to be able to use my VPS at once? Thanks!

Here 6 years and necro hard? BAN THEE.

Thanked by 1ariq01