Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seagate 5 TB & 6 TB SATA Drives
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seagate 5 TB & 6 TB SATA Drives

Seagate Technology, one of the world’s largest hard disk drives makers, plans to add high-capacity models into its Terascale hard drive family in the first half of 2014. The new models will expand storage capacity of enterprise-class capacity-oriented hard disk drives to 5TB and 6TB. It is likely that such HDDs will be based on new-generation platters.

According to Seagate enterprise hard drives roadmap published by Myce web-site, the new enterprise-class Terascale HDDs with 5TB and 6TB capacities due in the first half of 2014 will belong to the same code-named Constellation ES.3 “Megalodon” family as the current 4TB drives. The drives are likely to feature 5900rpm spindle speed, 64MB DDR2 cache as well as Serial ATA-600 interface. What is unclear is which platters will be featured in the 5TB and 6TB HDDs.

Source

Very interesting to see technology becoming more and more advanced, faster than I can keep up. I wonder how this will affect the backup server market, and if we'll start seeing more competition ( = lower prices) in that market. A nice raid array of 5 or 6 TB drives can mean lots and lots of storage!

Comments

• Not really. Larger capacity per drive just poses more danger. Losing out a single drive means losing a lot of data. The URE also needs to be a lot lower in these drives to be worth it = a lot more costly.

• I was going to order some Seagate "NAS" 4TB drive to test it, but then found out it's only 5900 RPM.

• 64MB DDR2 cache

Anybody got a really thin flathead?

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited August 2013

We hit 3TB years ago so this is very late. The floods in Thailand gave drive makers an excuse to raise prices. The mergers among HDD manufacturers also hurt competition. If not for these events we would have already had 5TB drives.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Actually, i think investing in ssd hurt the market. Everyone expected ssd to take the place of mechanical drives and that is going at a very slow pace, nobody buys drives unless they have to, the big drives become slow and I would guess increasingly unreliable, besides 1 gbps port storage server cannot hold that much data, you will need 10 gbps for that and a lot of drives to be able to pump it in/out slow poke drives.

They will also serve a relatively small corner of the market, this means the price will not be low and the incentives to further test the limits of physics and reliability of manufacturing of drives to last more than a year are not there.

• rchurchrchurch Member
    edited August 2013

@rds100 said:
    I was going to order some Seagate "NAS" 4TB drive to test it, but then found out it's only 5900 RPM.

Higher density may mean as much or more data passing under the read/write heads at lower speeds.

Thanked by 1InfiniteVPSRyan
  • @rchurch true, however the platter still has to do on average a half revolution and in worst case a full revolution before the head goes over the data i want to read, which increases the average data access time / latency.

• jakejake Member

Shame that it's only 5900 RPM.