Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are the LEB Feed offers, posted in offers allowed to break the rules? - Page 17
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why are the LEB Feed offers, posted in offers allowed to break the rules?

Comments

• now there are 6 offers

• @poisson said:

@dynamo said:

@poisson said: poisoning the collegiality on LES

One can say the same about this thread. If I were the evil CC as they are portrayed, I would have locked the thread away and banned the instigators. The fact they are doing nothing/don't care is reason enough that we don't need another place for open discussions. Someone been trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

I can accept that argument. However, the evidence before me in LES is that the actions so far have resulted in a clearly thriving and collegiate environment. I don't argue with evidence, and I don't think anyone should.

If new evidence turns up to prove me wrong, I am man enough to admit that I am wrong. Until there is clear evidence that Anthony is that supposedly trash personality that some people believe him to be, I go with innocent unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

In @default's case, the evidence is quite close to beyond a reasonable doubt.

My comment was broadly targeted towards this commotion of lexit. It just looks like an attempt from the ex-principal of a large public school who threw away his job in a fit of ego (some would say morals) along with some wannabe hall-monitors to sway away students to his own private school.

Thanked by 2default jsg
  • @default said:

@angstrom said:
    In any case, the idea behind LES has never been "Nobody ever gets banned retired". It's a community, there are rules, and if you break the rules, you may very well get banned retired.

One of the rules being to disagree with the admin. Another rule for banning retirement is saying that "I am out". Or maybe, just maybe, it all fits under the rule 1 "Don't be a d**k" as @AnthonySmith officially established and labeled me, in which case @WSS was right all along and I am one of many.

Yes, your behavior probably fell under the dick rule, which as a rule is admittedly a bit vague and therefore allows for potential variation in interpretation (but merely disagreeing with the admin wouldn't fall under this rule).

(Just to note that LET also has this rule.)

Did that rascal @WSS really say that about you?

• LowEndAutism

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • @angstrom said:

@default said:

@angstrom said:
    In any case, the idea behind LES has never been "Nobody ever gets banned retired". It's a community, there are rules, and if you break the rules, you may very well get banned retired.

One of the rules being to disagree with the admin. Another rule for banning retirement is saying that "I am out". Or maybe, just maybe, it all fits under the rule 1 "Don't be a d**k" as @AnthonySmith officially established and labeled me, in which case @WSS was right all along and I am one of many.

Yes, your behavior probably fell under the dick rule, which as a rule is admittedly a bit vague and therefore allows for potential variation in interpretation (but merely disagreeing with the admin wouldn't fall under this rule).

(Just to note that LET also has this rule.)

Did that rascal @WSS really say that about you?

@WSS said that word many times, sometimes in bold and large font. The meaning is also is "a abit vague and therefore allows for potential variation in interpretation", just like the number 1 rule in LES or the golden rule of LET.

• @SirFoxy said:
    Hb = funny old man
    LES = grumpy old man
    LET = corporation

take ur choice

Both of the old men are very much visible and assertive. Corporation.. not so much. With the continued smooth sailing of this thread, don't think this "corporation" even exists. The grumpy old men would have killed it in the first few hours only.

• @dynamo said:

@poisson said:

@dynamo said:

One can say the same about this thread. If I were the evil CC as they are portrayed, I would have locked the thread away and banned the instigators. The fact they are doing nothing/don't care is reason enough that we don't need another place for open discussions. Someone been trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

I can accept that argument. However, the evidence before me in LES is that the actions so far have resulted in a clearly thriving and collegiate environment. I don't argue with evidence, and I don't think anyone should.

If new evidence turns up to prove me wrong, I am man enough to admit that I am wrong. Until there is clear evidence that Anthony is that supposedly trash personality that some people believe him to be, I go with innocent unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

In @default's case, the evidence is quite close to beyond a reasonable doubt.

My comment was broadly targeted towards this commotion of lexit. It just looks like an attempt from the ex-principal of a large public school who threw away his job in a fit of ego (some would say morals) along with some wannabe hall-monitors to sway away students to his own private school.

Sure. By most objective (participation rate and joining rate) and subjective measures (general collegiality and friendliness), whether deliberate or accidental, whatever Anthony did seem to have created a thriving community. The form wasn't very pretty, but the substance is there. Good enough for those of us who are there, and it's not a small number. The larger LES grows, the less accurate your characterization of trying to 'sway' people. That you can somehow magically make people believe in something just by throwing them a few sentences has been thoroughly debunked in research. Most people have agency.

You are entitled to your opinion.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited November 2019

@default said: @WSS said that word many times, sometimes in bold and large font. The meaning is also is "a abit vague and therefore allows for potential variation in interpretation", just like the number 1 rule in LES or the golden rule of LET.

Oh, I see. Yes, @WSS called all of us dicks often, but that had nothing to do with the dick rule, so you shouldn't take what @WSS said personally (or we all should).

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • poisson said: Anthony did seem to have created a thriving community.

Maybe, it's a bit early to say 'thriving'. But keep in mind that same person said if it wasn't 'viable' (take that as you will, after stating he was going to monetize) then he will kill it all. Followed by stating his plans to poison-pill the place so that if his vision wasn't fulfilled he'd "pull the plug."

Kind of hard to build a brave new world when your god will smite you and burn the community to the ground if his will is not done.

Thanked by 2SirFoxy default
  • Deez nuts ha gotem

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited November 2019

@PHDan said:

poisson said: Anthony did seem to have created a thriving community.

Maybe, it's a bit early to say 'thriving'. But keep in mind that same person said if it wasn't 'viable' (take that as you will, after stating he was going to monetize) then he will kill it all. Followed by stating his plans to poison-pill the place so that if his vision wasn't fulfilled he'd "pull the plug."

Kind of hard to build a brave new world when your god will smite you and burn the community to the ground if his will is not done.

I bet LEAdmin would wish he’d built in a self-destruct for LEB/LET if he ever came back...

Thanked by 1mikho
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Nekki said: The fact that LES drama has to be discussed on LET is absolutely delicious.

It was featured in this month's LowEndDrama subscription box.

• @poisson said: Sure. By most objective (participation rate and joining rate) and subjective measures (general collegiality and friendliness), whether deliberate or accidental, whatever Anthony did seem to have created a thriving community. The form wasn't very pretty, but the substance is there. Good enough for those of us who are there, and it's not a small number. The larger LES grows, the less accurate your characterization of trying to 'sway' people. That you can somehow magically make people believe in something just by throwing them a few sentences has been thoroughly debunked in research. Most people have agency.

The community was thriving under Jarland before Anthony and before Jarland too and will continue to do so. Lately the "trolling rate" has been assumed to be "participation rate" and I concede that it surely has been touching new heights. I have no ill-feelings for someone's pet project. Anyone can launch a forum and everyone is free to join it or not. But the false surmise that was build up here to garner drift towards it is deplorable.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

@dynamo - if you could just use more "italics" to help explain things for us ... that would be great!

• lemme get uhhhhh B O N E L E S S pizza

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @uptime said:
    @dynamo - if you could just use more "italics" to explain things for us ... that would be great!

Thanks for the cue. Will keep that in mind.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @dynamo said:

CC have definitely censored comments and/or threads before, most recently, comments in threads started by @LEBFeed before they decided to close those threads as soon as they are started by @LEBFeed.

True, CC haven't yet done anything to this thread, but they also haven't been around for quite a while (so they probably haven't yet noticed this thread).

Thanked by 1uptime
  • this thread has probably served $7 worth of ads in the past couple hours anyway so ... it's all good, right?

Thanked by 3angstrom MasonR ITLabs
  • tgltgl Member
    edited November 2019

thank you @Nekki for refreshing my memory, I forgot the name before Chief, LEAdmin

• There's 500 comments in this thread! Are we there yet?

Thanked by 2kkrajk Asim
  • @angstrom said:

@dynamo said:

CC have definitely censored comments and/or threads before, most recently, comments in threads started by @LEBFeed before they decided to close those threads as soon as they are started by @LEBFeed.

True, CC haven't yet done anything to this thread, but they also haven't been around for quite a while (so they probably haven't yet noticed this thread).

CC won’t do anything to this thread, anti-CC rhetoric has been rampant for years and they’ve never done a thing about it. Aside from comments being deleted from LEBFeed threads, I can’t remember the last time anyone from CC actually interfered with LET.

Thanked by 2jsg tarasis
  • @angstrom said: CC have definitely censored comments and/or threads before, most recently, comments in threads started by @LEBFeed before they decided to close those threads as soon as they are started by @LEBFeed.

So they didn't allow any trash talk in sales threads of all those dubious hosts. And they decided to immediately close the thread instead of filtering the comments. Not a ideal situation but thats ok i guess as it never is. After all they do own the place. I really don't see what the problem is. The number of such threads is too low and they go unnoticed anyways. All kinds of discussions, negative reviews about these scamy hosts and unabated CC bashing has been going on in the other threads unnoticed/uncared by the corporation. Not enough a freedom?

• tgltgl Member
    edited November 2019

@dynamo problem is they cheat people daily, and we are are making a compromise with our morals, ignoring that, considering those people deserve it because they were stupid and did not research, and that CC has some right to cheat people just because they host this forum because they dont sponsor it, I am sure that just from the ads alone they can pay for the hosting and also make a profit

this is not just about making a new forum, but a rant on what is going on

the rest yes, you are right, I doubt CC cares about whats going on around here, they just care about the money coming in

Thanked by 1uptime
  • I think everyone has a pet narrative, which is fine. At the end of the day, most of the lurking crowd will choose which forum they will frequent based on a couple of factors: forum design and offers.

LES wins hands down on design and UX. Providers mostly won't take sides and will cross post. If I am lurking and I am not I am not missing out either way, I will probably choose LES because of the better UX. That's just the practical reality.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @Nekki said: Aside from comments being deleted from LEBFeed threads, I can’t remember the last time anyone from CC actually interfered with LET.

I would count the reason why Anthony resigned as admin as an interference by CC with LET (unbanning a LET provider who had broken the rules more than once).

Thanked by 2uptime vimalware
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited November 2019

angstrom said: I would count the reason why Anthony resigned as admin as an interference by CC with LET (unbanning a LET provider who had broken the rules more than once).

I'd long since forgotten about that (couple of years back, right) but that's still completely different to the removal of comments or other forms of censorship that you implied may befall this thread.

• @dynamo said:

@angstrom said: CC have definitely censored comments and/or threads before, most recently, comments in threads started by @LEBFeed before they decided to close those threads as soon as they are started by @LEBFeed.

So they didn't allow any trash talk in sales threads of all those dubious hosts. And they decided to immediately close the thread instead of filtering the comments. Not a ideal situation but thats ok i guess as it never is. After all they do own the place. I really don't see what the problem is. The number of such threads is too low and they go unnoticed anyways. All kinds of discussions, negative reviews about these scamy hosts and unabated CC bashing has been going on in the other threads unnoticed/uncared by the corporation. Not enough a freedom?

I was just pointing out that CC had censored comments before (because you didn't say this in your post).

In fairness, I'll concede that CC have tolerated a lot of bashing comments. My private suspicion is that they simply haven't read the great majority of such comments (so ignorance is bliss), but I may be mistaken about this.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @angstrom exactly, I doubt @jbiloh will read this thread, are you reading it man?!

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • angstrom said: My private suspicion is that they simply haven't read the great majority of such comments (so ignorance is bliss), but I may be mistaken about this.

I doubt they read everything, but there's evidence they're at least present here on a semi regular basis.

This discussion has been closed.