Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Anyone have good advice on advertising? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does Anyone have good advice on advertising?

13»

Comments

• malekmalek Member, Host Rep

You need a new name, a proper company and most importantly a new website.

• @vimalware said:
    Keyboard worrier : Dibs on my superhero name.

I check all the keys daily.

I'm always worried about potatoe leftovers on my keyboard.

Thanked by 2uptime vimalware
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

What a fine way of digging his own grave.

Who is selling these books? (How to dig your own grave.) A lot of people seem to own it.

• @EquinoxHost said:
    I don’t understand

that seems clear

spend some time studying the ebb and flow of timewasters here, and you might get a clue

You came here asking for advice.

Maybe you got more than you bargained for.

It's free, and stil worth more than you may realize. Take it or leave it.

In any event, thanks for the lulz - and good luck figuring it all out.

Thanked by 1ITLabs

The end is Amitzly nigh.

Thanked by 3uptime ITLabs vimalware
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited October 2019

@EquinoxHost said:
    I don’t understand why everyone has so much negativity about the way I run my business. I actually came here to ask for advice and actually all you’ve all done is actually be rude. Think maybe you need to stop being keyboard worriers and leave the house one day and discover real life instead of actually just being rude.

Exactly, you don't understand genuine critisicm like, your company name could infringe on a trademark, your website is broken, etc.

You haven't responded to one post in here saying "Oh yeah, that's silly I'll fix that". It's always been "oh you're so rude how dare you critique me on this public forum where I've posted some pretty dumb stuff".

edited October 2019

Pretty sure he is gone at this point, probably sobbing in a corner of his room, which is the hallmark of being a keyboard warrior he aspires to be.

• @deank said:
    Pretty sure he is gone at this point, probably sobbing in a corner of his room, which is the hallmark of being a keyboard warrior he aspires to be.

No man, he is just worried about keyboards.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • I spend most of my time on LET reading. I post replies very rarely but this time I want to say something.

Forums were much better years ago. Today one can hardly ask for help or open a thread without bumping into shitstorms. People constantly point out flaws and mistakes in the most rude and arrogant way. It's like if everyone is waiting for their next victim in the hall of shame. There's nothing wrong with criticism but this looks like cyberbullying. Here is a typical thread

«Good morning, I'm new here»
    «It's 6 PM in USA»
    «Yeah, ok but in italy it's moring»
    «Ignorant, it's Italy not italy»
    «Sorry, I was writing with phone and I didn't notice that»
    «That's why we have automatic correction. It's 2019! Use it»
    «Man I just wanted to say hi»
    «Man? How dare you? I'm homo sapiens sapiens!»
    «Okay, have a great day. I'm out»
    «It's still 6 PM in USA!!! The day is over already»

There's even English-police that point out grammarical mistakes and hunters that spend their time looking for necro-posters.

Probably this is the reason why I prefer to read instead of partecipating. I hope that no one will be offended by my signature or website, nickname, avatar, post count, nationality or job.

Thanked by 1EquinoxHost
    edited October 2019

Cyberbulling?

You've never seen one, I believe. This is nothing. I'd day this is gentle. Look at Facebook cyberbulling. Facebook bullies stalk users 24/7. Now, that's bullying.

What we are trying to do here is put some common sense into OP.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited October 2019

@Katamaze thank you for your meta-critique. It has provided opportunity for much sarcasm, such wow. And you mispelt participooting :smiley:

• hzrhzr Member
    edited October 2019

my question is why would you ask for advice on a forum and then immediately tell everyone giving you helpful advice to fuck off and shut up

instead of, you know, fixing it.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited October 2019

In general I do think @Katamaze makes some good points and I hope they can appreciate my joking response as intended. I would be glad to read further thoughtful posts from this erstwhile lurker.

It is definitely a good thing to recognize the tendency for groupthink and cliqueishness to present as dickishness (though not sure I am seeing "cyberbulling" taken to that extreme here). And there is something to be said for getting in the habit of hitting the "Preview" and "Save Draft" button and just leaving it at that if the response might leave a mark on someone for no good purpose other than to be clever, or whatever.

Still ... really wouldn't go to far to defend @EquinoxHost as an example of someone being unfairly maligned. A distinctive aroma combining ignorance and arrogance has percolated to the point of triggering some pattern recognition - and when someone comes to LET to peddle halfbaked hosting, I think it's a good thing to call bullshit in no uncertain terms.

Is it unfair to accuse @EquinoxHost of trying to spam their sig and do deals here without a provider tag?

I would invite anyone who hasn't been paying attention to check some of their replies to request threads made just a few days ago before jumping to conclusions. For example:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3030539#Comment_3030539

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3030546/#Comment_3030546

So, that's what we're looking at. I'm not eager to say that @EquinoxHost is beyond redemption - and I think a few people in this thread have actually offered sincere advice about advertising and bootstrapping a business with a good reputation. Whether or not @EquinoxHost has the wherewithal to recognize that and say thank you - even including the harsher critics in that appreciation - well ... that remains to be seen I guess. But that's going to be a good test of their mettle as far as I am concerned.

Who kidnapped original uptime?

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @deank - sorry boss, been busy murdering kittens

• About to hire @uptime as my CEO.

Thanked by 2ITLabs uptime
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited October 2019

@uptime is under the influence of non-phenolic alkaloids, saponins, sterols, triterpenoids and glycosylated flavonoids.

Sechium edule

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited October 2019

ITLabs said: Sechium edule

tripping on 佛手瓜 - aka Buddha's Palm ...

@Mic-hael ... You like Huey Lewis and the News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Thanked by 2ITLabs MichaelCee
  • My comments were meant to be constructive. I have my own small businesses and know how tight money is. I wouldn't dream of spending money on advertising a business that wasn't even ready to accept customers, that's just pissing it away. Get your shit in order first, make sure your site is up and in good condition, make sure you can handle the customers that you want to acquire.

What happens when you hit the karmic lottery and 100s of customers flood you at once? Can you accept them? This market is sooooo saturated with people of dreams of easy money and this market is the furthest from that in reality.

You bust your balls for $1USD and put in hours of labor to get just that single buck. Eventually, if you do it right, you have some decent income. Then you find out that you didn't set up your company right and half-assed it. So not only do you owe the big boys the original amounts but all the late fees and penalties for trying to be smart. Hopefully you can pay that, or your infrastructure is gone to cover your debts.

So advertising the the last step of things. Unless you are on Kickstarter and you plan to have no actual product and just scam people in to giving you money for nothing. (And your chicks for free.)

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@EquinoxHost said:

@deank said:
    Learn to pay taxes.

If you want pension later.

I also work full time aswell so I pay into my own pension. A ltd business isn’t going to pay me a pension. :smile:

Wut? The ltd should pay the pension lol.

Thanked by 1ralph