Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Los Angeles NVMe + Block Storage 3TB $7 limited time! - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Los Angeles NVMe + Block Storage 3TB $7 limited time!

Comments

• rchurchrchurch Member
    edited October 2019

@angstrom said:
    @rchurch

You really should calm down. You're making yourself look silly.

Just leave Letbox if it causes you so much trauma.

This is storage. Storage is a long term thing. It isn't something you expect to fuck you up when the time comes when you need it.

Whenever I make a long term payment on newish LET providers I consider it money potentially down the drain, and if the money is that important I will not make the commitment.

Before making this payment I considered the few reports here including your own reports about missing disks, the one by @mrclown and some other guy called green something. I wanted to try 3 months but decided to go for a year instead, understanding the risk very well.

As I said they have more than enough time to fix it. If they feel they can't they can then refund the money if they wish. It is not as though the time spent trying to analyze the issue is not worth more than the $50 I've spent. This is a 512Gb system I have prepaid for a year if I am going to prepay the 3TB one, then this had better be good.

Believe me, I am not in that much of a hurry. I just want something I can rely on in the long term which will not be cancelled because I'm on holiday or indisposed for some reason when a monthy bill is due. A monthly paid storage node is virtually useless to me and offers no security.

If this wasn't a storage node customers expect to be able to rely on in the long term I wouldn't have bothered making this post.

Now I'm off to fiddle with my unused nodes with First Root, PHP-Friends, Anthony and a few others, and I will be back to rant some more if I find some niggling faults with them ;)

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2019

@rchurch said:

@key900 said:

@rchurch said:

@dahartigan said:

@rchurch said:

?

I will tell you something. I have been through the process at least 8 times using their own ISOs and templates which were already there. And the problem still exists. And I haven't lost any data because I haven't tested their system well enough to trust my data to it, you moron.

Get the facts before you open you mouth!!

Do i have to say it again? Simply cancel it and leave this poor system.

No - I am not cancelling yet.

I am going to go through the process again, using your own templates and ISOs.

>

I’m not sure becoming angry or laughing at you look at yourself again.

I can see that you have 3tb package monthly this services will be disconnected by end of your billing cycle.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited October 2019

@rchurch said: This is storage. Storage is a long term thing. It isn't something you expect to fuck you up when the time comes when you need it.

As far as I'm aware, no one has reported data loss with Letbox (data loss that can be attributed to a fault of the system or of a human at Letbox).

Some people (including me) have reported a "missing storage disk" issue when rebooting, but this hasn't involved data loss.

As far as your issue is concerned, if reinstalling using an ISO deletes everything (or just the partition table?) on the (only main?) disk, then you may need to view this as a feature (or limitation) of their control panel (there is a warning after all) and to take care accordingly. Their control panel is clearly not a well-known one such as SolusVM or Virtualizor, and it may not allow for the non-destructive booting of an ISO. If this is the case, I would agree that it's not ideal, but it may be something that you/we need to accept and work around if you/we want to profit from Letbox's (otherwise attractive) deals.

Edit: I say "if" because I haven't had a chance to test what you say.

edited October 2019

@angstrom said:

@rchurch said: This is storage. Storage is a long term thing. It isn't something you expect to fuck you up when the time comes when you need it.

As far as I'm aware, no one has reported data loss with Letbox (data loss that can be attributed to a fault of the system or of a human at Letbox).

Some people (including me) have reported a "missing storage disk" issue when rebooting, but this hasn't involved data loss.

As far as your issue is concerned, if reinstalling using an ISO deletes everything (or just the partition table?) on the (only main?) disk, then you may need to view this as a feature of their control panel (there is a warning after all) and to take care accordingly. Their control panel is clearly not a well-known one such as SolusVM or Virtualizor, and it may not allow for the non-destructive booting of an ISO. If this is the case, I would agree that it's not ideal, but it may be something that you/we need to accept and work around if you/we want to profit from Letbox's (otherwise attractive) deals.

Edit: I say "if" because I haven't had a chance to test what you say.

Hello,

This totally not true you can reinstalling by ISO without touching the Block Storage and no data losses thanks god that someone mentioned that before him. However it required to someone know what he doing this not our fault that he damage his VPs . Multiple people tested the iso and even some of people mentioned that it works without any issue even before this OP reporting .

Regarding your issue it totally different while we updated some configuration at our WHMCs selected the Block Storage to 0 which not effected with your VPs.

• @key900 said: This totally not true you can reinstalling by ISO without touching the Block Storage and no data losses.

This is good news. (What I said above began with a conditional "if" -- I wasn't assuming anything.)

key900 said: Regarding your issue it totally different while we updated some configuration at our WHMCs selected the Block Storage to 0 which not effected with your VPs.

Yes, indeed, a totally different issue, and as I said earlier in this thread, the problem was quickly resolved.

• I just installed Debian 10.1.0 from ISO, set up the block storage and rebooted. My data is safe.

I installed the same Debian 10 ISO again, even changed the partition layout and it booted perfectly fine, and my block storage is intact.

Tldr; don't be afraid to mount an ISO. Don't be careless and let the installer go nuts and wipe your entire setup. Be responsible.

• angstrom said: As far as your issue is concerned, if reinstalling using an ISO deletes everything (or just the partition table?) on the (only main?) disk, then you may need to view this as a feature of their control panel (there is a warning after all) and to take care accordingly.

This is the problem. It doesn't even get to the reinstalling stage. Once the ISO comes up, the NVMe partition info is gone. I simply assume that because the system is a new system, there may be some niggling issues which need to be fixed. But when they deny outright that this is a symptom of an underlying problem, it then gets problematic.

Now they have gone ahead and given me a refund which I didn't ask for and denying me the opportunity of engaging in glorious rants on LET :)

I would rather let them have the $50 and retain the right to rant. I was just beginning to enjoy myself and now I don't have much cause :)

I'm of to find another victim/provider ;) ;)

• @rchurch said:
    I'm of to find another victim/provider ;) ;)

Classy..

• as far as I understood OP is not talking about reinstalling at all, but about booting from (any) ISO which then supposedly does not detect the disks and even messes up the partition table, so that the regular system does not come up afterwards.

I'd say steps for trying to reproduce the issue would be:

• (re)install anything from premade template
    • mount an iso in control panel, boot from it, have it detect the disk/partitions (which already might fail?)
    • reboot --> existing system borked

I suggest both sides to calm down and look into a solution rather then talking sh*t to each other. guess there is quite some misunderstanding about what the problem should be and what the reason might be.

• @Falzo said:
    as far as I understood OP is not talking about reinstalling at all, but about booting from (any) ISO which then supposedly does not detect the disks and even messes up the partition table, so that the regular system does not come up afterwards.

• mount an iso in control panel, boot from it, have it detect the disk/partitions (which already might fail?)

I'm going to test that scenario right now, will report back.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • the problem is with the boot order

i have to manually select 5 if i reboot.

so they need to fix the boot order. i am glad i kept this image and hope helps both.

• @dahartigan said:
    I just installed Debian 10.1.0 from ISO, set up the block storage and rebooted. My data is safe.

I installed the same Debian 10 ISO again, even changed the partition layout and it booted perfectly fine, and my block storage is intact.

Tldr; don't be afraid to mount an ISO. Don't be careless and let the installer go nuts and wipe your entire setup. Be responsible.

@dahartigan said:
    I just installed Debian 10.1.0 from ISO, set up the block storage and rebooted. My data is safe.

Aren't you tired of making yourself out to be a fool or a liar?

First of all Debian 10 is not on the list of the ISOs showing on my screen, so you either on a different node, or you are lying!!

And I have already said so many times that even before I start configuring the ISO, the NVMe partition info is gone and I have show the images already.

You don't even have the intelligence to realize that we might be on different nodes which is why yours may working for you when mine isn't.

Can't you even realize that it is stupid of you to make this assumption?

How about the networking issue? Why don't you address that if you are so clever?

• @Falzo said:
    as far as I understood OP is not talking about reinstalling at all, but about booting from (any) ISO which then supposedly does not detect the disks and even messes up the partition table, so that the regular system does not come up afterwards.

Yes, this is exactly the question, as I tried to say above :smile:

• @dahartigan said:

@Falzo said:

The reason that I thanked you just above was because I thought that you had just tested this scenario!

• @angstrom said:

@dahartigan said:

@Falzo said:

The reason that I thanked you just above was because I thought that you had just tested this scenario!

The scenario I tested before was installing from ISO, not template. I'm testing the template now.

@rchurch said:

@dahartigan said:

@dahartigan said:

Aren't you tired of making yourself out to be a fool or a liar?

First of all Debian 10 is not on the list of the ISOs showing on my screen, so you either on a different node, or you are lying!!

And I have already said so many times that even before I start configuring the ISO, the NVMe partition info is gone and I have show the images already.

You don't even have the intelligence to realize that we might be on different nodes which is why yours may working for you when mine isn't.

Can't you even realize that it is stupid of you to make this assumption?

How about the networking issue? Why don't you address that if you are so clever?

As far as I can see, there is no issue. Not technical, at least..

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited October 2019

@angstrom said:

@Falzo said:

Independently of the question of whether there is such a technical issue (@rchurch says yes, @key900 says no), I would say that there's a user-interface issue because the only way to mount and boot an ISO is via the "Reinstall" tool, which isn't so intuitive, i.e., there's no separate "Mount" tool for ISOs.

Never mind

Thanked by 1uptime

@ehab said:
    the problem is with the boot order

i have to manually select 5 if i reboot.

so they need to fix the boot order. i am glad i kept this image and hope helps both.

Order boot can be selected or edit from Client Area.

https://my.letbox.com/index.php?rp=/knowledgebase/47/How-to-mount-iso.html

@angstrom said:

@angstrom said:

@Falzo said:

Independently of the question of whether there is such a technical issue (@rchurch says yes, @key900 says no), I would say that there's a user-interface issue because the only way to mount and boot an ISO is via the "Reinstall" tool, which isn't so intuitive, i.e., there's no separate "Mount" tool for ISOs.

Never mind

Answered above

• @dahartigan said:

Don't tell me what to do you filthy Potassium Ho

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @key900 said:

the cp settings did not reflect my actual outcome.

You can reproduce this issue by installing from user iso and not from template.

• Never trust any OS pre-installled or template re-installling on a VPS. It only takes a few minutes to mount an ISO and do a proper customized installation.

If you use a pre-installed OS be prepared to spend sometime to customize it to your needs. If your data is of any worth, full VPS encryption is a must and you can't get it pre-installed. Better yet, use Ansible or Chef to automate all customizations.

Treat these VPS as disposable and plan accordingly. There's just simply so many things that could go wrong at these low end boxes: bugs, human errors, hardware issues, provider stability...

• Okay, so I've tested both scenarios (ISO and reinstall) and here's the actual facts:

• If you boot from ISO, your block storage is available, and you could possibly delete it by mistake if you're careless with the partitioning. Otherwise, it works as expected and no resulting data loss.

• If you reinstall the OS, your block storage is removed from Disks, and the actual storage is deleted from the system. REINSTALL WILL RESULT IN DATA LOSS

I really hope this clears things up, I admit I was confused at first, which is my primary motivation for testing this shit on a Saturday night.

• @angstrom said:

@Falzo said:

I have gone through this process umpteen times.

Once you try to install via ISO, the system is stuck there for good.

You have to reinstall from the template to regain control of the system.

• @rchurch said:

@angstrom said:

@Falzo said:

If that happens, try to reboot the system again, and in VNC press ESC when it's booting, and select a different drive from the boot order. Did that work?

Thanked by 2ehab uptime
  • you gotta be quick or you miss the bus

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Time for me to leave this thread!

edited October 2019

@dahartigan said:

@rchurch said:

@angstrom said:

@Falzo said:

If that happens, try to reboot the system again, and in VNC press ESC when it's booting, and select a different drive from the boot order. Did that work?

Now different story of iso installations got stuck! I”d to say don’t wasting more of your time @dahartigan

@dahartigan said:
    Okay, so I've tested both scenarios (ISO and reinstall) and here's the actual facts:

• If you boot from ISO, your block storage is available, and you could possibly delete it by mistake if you're careless with the partitioning. Otherwise, it works as expected and no resulting data loss.

• If you reinstall the OS, your block storage is removed from Disks, and the actual storage is deleted from the system. REINSTALL WILL RESULT IN DATA LOSS

I really hope this clears things up, I admit I was confused at first, which is my primary motivation for testing this shit on a Saturday night.

This is the point of the reinstall button starting from 0 .

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @dahartigan said:

@rchurch said:

@angstrom said:

@Falzo said:

No it doesn't work.

This is the screen after install with a template

This is the screen immediately after an ISO boot - no installation has been done yet

Check the parted message at the top. The disk label is not recognized.

This is the disk edit screen before rebooting to the BIOS screen, just to be sure

This is the BIOS boot screen

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @key900 i can make a video of this problem, if you offer 3 months free credit?

edited October 2019

@rchurch said:

@dahartigan said:

@rchurch said:

@angstrom said:

@Falzo said:
    as far as I understood OP is not tal

No it doesn't work.

That’s what we are telling you boot up the Block as main disk instead.

Good luck with bashing someone els.