Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wishosting - NAT Storage deal 1.8TB $6.99/mo - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wishosting - NAT Storage deal 1.8TB $6.99/mo

Comments

• Can I get a test IP / download link?
    Thanks

• Quite a good deal! Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------
     nench.sh v2019.07.20 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
     benchmark timestamp:    2019-08-26 09:28:49 UTC

Processor:    Intel Xeon E3-12xx v2 (Ivy Bridge, IBRS)
    CPU cores:    1
    Frequency:    3499.998 MHz
    RAM:          2.0G
    Swap:         -
    Kernel:       Linux 3.10.0-693.el7.x86_64 x86_64

Disks:
    sda    1.8T  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        1.498 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        1.127 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 33.7 us / 43.6 us / 802.7 us / 13.1 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 55.8 k requests in 5.00 s, 13.6 GiB, 11.2 k iops, 2.73 GiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    1525.88 MiB/s
        2nd run:    472.07 MiB/s
        3rd run:    572.20 MiB/s
        average:    856.72 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx

Cachefly CDN:         66.56 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        81.29 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   10.77 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      72.07 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         10.84 MiB/s

No IPv6 connectivity detected

• Is the bandwidth dedicated? i.e. Can I burst 250 Mbps 24/7?

• @CyberneticTitan said:
    250 Mbps 24/7?

are you serious ...?

please think about how this would effect every other user on the node, 24/7

I guess if I ran the circus, I might keep a "special" node available just for some clowns to battle over shared I/O ... :smiley:

Thanked by 2AuroraZ Ouji
  • edited August 2019

@uptime said:

@CyberneticTitan said:
    250 Mbps 24/7?

are you serious ...?

please think about how this would effect every other user on the node, 24/7

I guess if I ran the circus, I might keep a "special" node available just for some clowns to battle over shared I/O ... :smiley:

I didn't see why there is a 250Mbps restriction when Hetzner is 1Gbps unmetered. Either way it's a simple yes or no question.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@CyberneticTitan said:
    Is the bandwidth dedicated? i.e. Can I burst 250 Mbps 24/7?

No, it is shared.

• CyberneticTitan said: I didn't see why [...]

do the math

imagine a node shared with a dozen other people doing exactly the same as you propose to do

perhaps there is some factor I've overlooked - I would be pleasantly surprised to see a calculation that does not end in LEB style bad news. Especially when one considers disk I/O as well as the cost of dedicated bandwidth. Please do educate me if there is something obvious I'm missing here.

with all due respect ... it often seems to be a slippery slope from "simple yes or no" to "y tho?" ... (but I get your point - I hope you might be able to see my point of view here as well.)

• Hetzner dedi is unmetered if you register a dedi under your own legal entity. :trollface:

I think the 250mbit in this case is probably good for 20-30TB at most, to be 'fair'. (kinda hard to do with just backups)

Thanked by 2uptime Ouji
  • Is there any native way to get into that server from the outside? Be it via 5 forwarded ports on the NAT ip or via ipv6?

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@chrisp said:
    Is there any native way to get into that server from the outside? Be it via 5 forwarded ports on the NAT ip or via ipv6?

There are 20 predefined ports forwarded to your VM.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I'm tempted to get in on the storage deal but frankly, I find it a bit odd that there is no information to be found on the webpage about Wishosting itself. Not even the bare minimum such as a business address?

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • Just to make sure I don't violate any policy:
    a) Can I use 100% of the CPU for 3-4 hours a day (deduplicating a lot of small files takes quite some resources)
    b) What is a fair amount of data traffic used? I think typically I would need around 3-4TB, but can peak up to 10TB

• chrisp said: a) Can I use 100% of the CPU for 3-4 hours a day (deduplicating a lot of small files takes quite some resources)

This sounds like it could also cause a lot of disk contention. But checksumming 1.8TB of files shouldn't take more than a few hours. Are you running a file sharing service or something, where you'll get millions of new files every day? Those of you asking about using vast amounts of bandwidth, such as for seedboxes: are you doing anything likely to get the single shared ipv4 address DDOS'd or blocked?

I had the 1TB version of this server a while back and it worked great, and by all reports this one also works great, but I find some of the questions worrying. It's a shared box so be nice.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @ottmi said:
    the bare minimum such as a business address?

would this suffice?

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • chrispchrisp Member
    edited August 2019

@willie said:

chrisp said: a) Can I use 100% of the CPU for 3-4 hours a day (deduplicating a lot of small files takes quite some resources)

This sounds like it could also cause a lot of disk contention. But checksumming 1.8TB of files shouldn't take more than a few hours. Are you running a file sharing service or something, where you'll get millions of new files every day? Those of you asking about using vast amounts of bandwidth, such as for seedboxes: are you doing anything likely to get the single shared ipv4 address DDOS'd or blocked?

I had the 1TB version of this server a while back and it worked great, and by all reports this one also works great, but I find some of the questions worrying. It's a shared box so be nice.

I see, that it is a shared box, but it's a shared box with 1.8T storage. When you backup like 10 devices to that machine and pull a fully copy of the backup on the machine every 2 weeks it would actually cause a bit of bandwidth and a few CPU spikes. I am not talking about a scenario, that would totally waste every resource available. And no this is not a file sharing/hosting request I made, just a couple of users saving files to their Nextcloud and a few smaller servers backing up content via restic or borg. I just want to make sure that plan can be used properly. I personally feel, that with 1.8T storage 3-4T of bandwidth seems quite ok, but I have had many surprises already and don't like to test.

@willie: what do you consider to be fair here? I see, that this is quite some usage, but well as said it's not like I ask for 24/7 CPU usage mining stuff or 20+TB

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @chrisp said:

@willie said:

chrisp said: a) Can I use 100% of the CPU for 3-4 hours a day (deduplicating a lot of small files takes quite some resources)

I see, that it is a shared box, but it's a shared box with 1.8T storage. When you backup like 10 devices to that machine and pull a fully copy of the backup on the machine every 2 weeks it would actually cause a bit of bandwidth and a few CPU spikes. I am not talking about a scenario, that would totally waste every resource available. And no this is not a file sharing/hosting request I made, just a couple of users saving files to their Nextcloud and a few smaller servers backing up content via restic or borg. I just want to make sure that plan can be used properly. I personally feel, that with 1.8T storage 3-4T of bandwidth seems quite ok, but I have had many surprises already and don't like to test.

@willie: what do you consider to be fair here? I see, that this is quite some usage, but well as said it's not like I ask for 24/7 CPU usage mining stuff or 20+TB

I believe most people would be idling their boxes with occasional backup/restores. And that's why wishosting is providing it as 'Unlimited CPU'. If using 100% of CPU slows down others, I'm pretty sure the host node will throttle the VM

Thanked by 2uptime ITLabs
  • @uptime said:

@ottmi said:
    the bare minimum such as a business address?

would this suffice?

Hmm, no? Whois data is not really reliable. I would like to know whith whom I'm engaging before I sign a contract. Without having to google rely on 3rd party databases. They ask for quite a lot of personal details when you sign up. It seems only fair to make the same information available about themselves, doesn't it?

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited August 2019

@ottmi mmmm yeah okay, in general I would tend to agree. Though for whatever reason I enjoy the minimal design of the wishosting website and have enough good experience with their system and support, so it hasn't been an issue for me. I can see that this may involve a leap of faith and that oftentimes can be a bridge too far for this type of business.

One might send a PM to @exception0x876 if you care to get better answers, in case that would help in this situation? Or perhaps not so much, that's certainly understandable!

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Does anyone have a Wishosting invoice? What info is on the invoice?

• The invoices don't contain any information other than "Wishosting."

It's not a concern for me, though I can understand why others might want to see some more transparency.

In some countries, it's mandatory for invoices to contain certain pieces of data. Some of them have a ridiculous amount of IDs and codes, and I've had clients insist that I change my invoices to conform to their idea of a "proper invoice" (i.e., they want to see their tax ID, my tax ID, their dog's tax ID, the tax ID of the neighbor down the street, etc.) -- never fun!

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited August 2019

@angstrom said:
    Does anyone have a Wishosting invoice? What info is on the invoice?

It just says "WISHOSTING" ... lol

EDIT2:

and might expect to get some details when paying via paypal - but that goes through 2checkout, so ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

normally this really would bother me a bit - but somehow Michael manages to maintain some comfort level, even while remaining a man of mystery relatively speaking.

it's the wishosting magic

and pretty sure that's not @exception0x876 in the picture either

oh well. :smiley:

EDIT3:

(quoting myself from another thread)

uptime said: I think wishosting (along with VirMach) may be the Keyser Söze of LET, quietly running a large part of the low-end universe without anyone really noticing what they're up to.

anyhoo ... thinking about it a bit now and ... still don't care. I keep my data encrypted, and am not going to be looking to file a lawsuit over a $6.99 per month service (not that I expect to ever have any reason to want to do that anyway).

But this sort of thing definitely has been an issue for me when deciding I'd rather not keep service from @FastMako - who are so far a complete mystery as far as I can tell - although apparently endorsed by @default, for whatever that's worth.

How does the saying go? "Consistency is a small-minded hobgoblin" - or something like that .... lulz

Thanked by 2ITLabs angstrom
  • @uptime said:

I recall he stated in a thread not too long ago that this photo is from his wedding, so I imagine it is real.

Echoing what you wrote, I kind of agree that it's nice to get service from a quiet, polite provider who remains a bit under the radar. He's undoubtedly a smart guy, and the idea that it's a man running his own growing online business from a Ukrainian port city I've never heard of is kind of mysterious and inspiring at the same time. :smile:

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@uptime said:
    But this sort of thing definitely has been an issue for me when deciding I'd rather not keep service from @FastMako - who are so far a complete mystery as far as I can tell - although apparently endorsed by @default, for whatever that's worth.

I was under the impression that default runs FaskMako, but I could be mistaken. Seems solid so far, regardless, but let's not derail the wishosting pleasure cruise thread.

I was surprised to find Michael is Ukrainian. For whatever reason, I wholeheartedly thought he was a Canuck :tongue:

Thanked by 2uptime ITLabs
  • @aj_potc said:

@uptime said:

I recall he stated in a thread not too long ago that this photo is from his wedding, so I imagine it is real.

Reverse search didn't return any occurrences in stock photo services.

Interesting to note, however, that he may be remotely associated with Stallone's Formal Wear (since 1899?). :lol: Anyway, some sell perfumes others sell suits. It's a mystery to be unraveled by @uptime.

• "Best price in St. Louis" ... the plot thickens!

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@ITLabs said:
    Interesting to note, however, that he may be remotely associated with Stallone's Formal Wear (since 1899?).

That's just an artifact of Google's reverse image search. It'll try and identify what's in the image (obviously a guy in formal attire) and will search on those identified elements in the image.

Apparently you are a 'robot broker' lol -

Thanked by 2ITLabs uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited August 2019

Aha! I see we have now traced wishosting's bagholder to Banc de Binary ...

WE DID IT LET!

paging Sherlock @raindog308 Holmes ...

Thanked by 2ITLabs MasonR
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited August 2019

@MasonR said:

@ITLabs said:

That's just an artifact of Google's reverse image search. It'll try and identify what's in the image (obviously a guy in formal attire) and will search on those identified elements in the image.

Yes, I know... just trying to make some fun of @uptime's "magic" :wink:

Apparently you are a 'robot broker' lol -

Hm... now that's interesting! Show me the money :lol:

Thanked by 1MasonR

@MasonR said:
    I was surprised to find Michael is Ukrainian. For whatever reason, I wholeheartedly thought he was a Canuck :tongue:

For some reason, I had always imagined that he was French, probably because he seems to like OVH. :smiley:

But, yeah, the low-end market is based on a significant element of trust: kind of like an oral tradition about which providers are trustworthy. Once a provider has earned the trust of users, we don't generally ask about tax ID numbers, exact business addresses, and the like.

At the same time, such questions aren't necessarily unreasonable.

@aj_potc said:

@uptime said:

He appears happy in the photo, so it looks like he chose the right person to marry. :smile: