Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 19
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• @Hxxx said:
    Been honest boyzzz... Everytime I decide "Im going to install DA" , I go to this super guide of @eva2000 and after seeing how long it is... I start wondering "man i could setup 3 cpanel servers and I'm going to still be installing and following this guide". It needs to be simplified (the DA).

I then start procrastinating and either install cPanel or maybe centminmod or just go full vanilla.

How has your setup experience been with DA? Lot's of manual pieces to do IMO.

FYI if you read my DirectAdmin install guide fully you'll see a custom pre-install guide section https://servermanager.guide/162/how-to-install-directadmin-control-panel-on-centos-7/#setup-preconfigure so basically you only need to do full guide manually once with all stuff configured and then copy the /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf options file and use that as a template for subsequent DA installs. This way you can write your own wrapper script to install DirectAdmin unattended with all your customisations outlined in my guide including switching MariaDB from 5.5 to 10.3 and installing CSF. That's what I have done myself write a wrapper DA install script pulling my custom made options.conf file hosted on Gist at https://gist.githubusercontent.com/centminmod/62cc0bcdb44977718f98390a93ad8776/raw/options.conf

So running my own custom wrapper DA install script will pre-populate DA options.conf with my Gist version and install everything outliend in my guide at https://servermanager.guide/162/how-to-install-directadmin-control-panel-on-centos-7/ :)

And don't forget to read section of how you can utilise ccache compiler cache to speed up DA recompiles by up to 80% at https://servermanager.guide/162/how-to-install-directadmin-control-panel-on-centos-7/#step14 :)

Of course Centmin Mod has advance install guide at https://servermanager.guide/117/centmin-mod-advanced-customised-installation-guide/ too

Thanked by 3ITLabs Hxxx Sokaris07
  • @eva2000 said:
    Of course Centmin Mod has advance install guide at https://servermanager.guide/117/centmin-mod-advanced-customised-installation-guide/ too

Hi @eva2000, btw do you have a page containing all of the variable that can be set in custom_config.inc and their explanation? I think I tried to search it without any result

• @akhfa said:

@eva2000 said:

Hi @eva2000, btw do you have a page containing all of the variable that can be set in custom_config.inc and their explanation? I think I tried to search it without any result

best to ask on Centmin Mod forum rather than this thread but here https://community.centminmod.com/threads/add-all-params-commented-out-to-custom_config-inc.16549/#post-70551

• @eva2000 said:

@akhfa said:

@eva2000 said:

best to ask on Centmin Mod forum rather than this thread but here https://community.centminmod.com/threads/add-all-params-commented-out-to-custom_config-inc.16549/#post-70551

Thanks. I just think that it should be somewhere on your site like as after getting started to guide new user :wink:

Just link it to the related files on github so you don't need to update your site often :smile:

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • HxxxHxxx Member

Thanks for the explanation @eva2000 . I didn't notice that section on your guide, the first time i went over it. Thanks for the update!

@eva2000 said:

@Hxxx said:
    Been honest boyzzz... Everytime I decide "Im going to install DA" , I go to this super guide of @eva2000 and after seeing how long it is... I start wondering "man i could setup 3 cpanel servers and I'm going to still be installing and following this guide". It needs to be simplified (the DA).

I then start procrastinating and either install cPanel or maybe centminmod or just go full vanilla.

How has your setup experience been with DA? Lot's of manual pieces to do IMO.

FYI if you read my DirectAdmin install guide fully you'll see a custom pre-install guide section https://servermanager.guide/162/how-to-install-directadmin-control-panel-on-centos-7/#setup-preconfigure so basically you only need to do full guide manually once with all stuff configured and then copy the /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf options file and use that as a template for subsequent DA installs. This way you can write your own wrapper script to install DirectAdmin unattended with all your customisations outlined in my guide including switching MariaDB from 5.5 to 10.3 and installing CSF. That's what I have done myself write a wrapper DA install script pulling my custom made options.conf file hosted on Gist at https://gist.githubusercontent.com/centminmod/62cc0bcdb44977718f98390a93ad8776/raw/options.conf

So running my own custom wrapper DA install script will pre-populate DA options.conf with my Gist version and install everything outliend in my guide at https://servermanager.guide/162/how-to-install-directadmin-control-panel-on-centos-7/ :)

And don't forget to read section of how you can utilise ccache compiler cache to speed up DA recompiles by up to 80% at https://servermanager.guide/162/how-to-install-directadmin-control-panel-on-centos-7/#step14 :)

• @Francisco said:

@zafouhar said:
    Question why does DirectAdmin default to installing an old version of MariaDB instead of the latest version?

What's the MySQL equiv?

It's possible they're picking it to be in line with what cPanel ships.

cPanel ships 5.7 by default now.

Francisco

Nah DirectAdmin is installing a really really old version of MariaDB which causes loads of issues when migrating from cPanel :)

Not that it can't be fixed with a couple of SSH commands but just thought to mention it.

• @Francisco said:

@lowfatgeek said:
    any ETA when will you launch the DA shared/reseller plans?

Me? Resellers are already posted.

If you have a reseller in Vegas you can use the promo code CPANELLIKESNICKELBACK for 3 free months.

Francisco

Is there any chances of this changing for Lux? I have a reseller to segregate some pretty basic sites (mainly for convenience) but the cPanel licensing model has kind of made that model redundant unless DA is an available alternative.

Cheers

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@HyperSpeed said:

@Francisco said:

@lowfatgeek said:
    any ETA when will you launch the DA shared/reseller plans?

Me? Resellers are already posted.

If you have a reseller in Vegas you can use the promo code CPANELLIKESNICKELBACK for 3 free months.

Francisco

Is there any chances of this changing for Lux? I have a reseller to segregate some pretty basic sites (mainly for convenience) but the cPanel licensing model has kind of made that model redundant unless DA is an available alternative.

Cheers

Working on it. Hoping this week.

Francisco

Thanked by 2HyperSpeed kkrajk
  • Hxxx said: Thanks for the explanation @eva2000 . I didn't notice that section on your guide, the first time i went over it. Thanks for the update!

>

I added that section a few days after the original guide was published as didn't know about that until was informed on DA forums :)

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited August 2019

Has anyone started using the new DA icon theme which looks similar to cpanel? I saw it on custombuild

• @zafouhar said:

@Francisco said:

@zafouhar said:
    Question why does DirectAdmin default to installing an old version of MariaDB instead of the latest version?

What's the MySQL equiv?

It's possible they're picking it to be in line with what cPanel ships.

cPanel ships 5.7 by default now.

Francisco

Nah DirectAdmin is installing a really really old version of MariaDB which causes loads of issues when migrating from cPanel :)

Not that it can't be fixed with a couple of SSH commands but just thought to mention it.

There is a very simple reason for this. And not sure what to do about it in the future :smile: MariaDB 5.5 is a drop in replacement of MySQL. Meaning it's very easy to upgrade to MariaDB 10.4 or MySQL 8 if needed. However, If you have MySQL8 or MariaDB 10.4 shipped with DirectAdmin - there is no easy way to switch between MariaDB/MySQL anymore. It's really easy to get any MariaDB/MySQL version installed after DA installation. Waiting for your suggestions on this though. Thank you!

• smtalk said: There is a very simple reason for this. And not sure what to do about it in the future MariaDB 5.5 is a drop in replacement of MySQL. Meaning it's very easy to upgrade to MariaDB 10.4 or MySQL 8 if needed. However, If you have MySQL8 or MariaDB 10.4 shipped with DirectAdmin - there is no easy way to switch between MariaDB/MySQL anymore. It's really easy to get any MariaDB/MySQL version installed after DA installation. Waiting for your suggestions on this though. Thank you!

Maybe easiest thing is to make folks plainly aware of the default MariaDB 5.5 version that is installed on install page/documentation and also give them option to choose their version at initial install time. This way they don't require upgrading post-install to the version they want. You can offer up variants of setup.sh labelled as such i.e. setup-mariadb10.sh, setup-mariadb55.sh, setup-mysql57.sh setup-mysql8.sh along side setup.sh.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I really think DA needs a basic install, to give you a nice interface, then a wizard to install the features you want so it compiles once to how you want it....

choose:

skin
    hostname
    nameservers
    Ip's to add
    MariaDB / MySQL
    PHP Version(s)
    choose some php memory limits etc...
    Antispam

Plugins:
    CSF
    ClamAV

etc...

or an option to upload a config file and go from there...

• LeeLee Veteran

experttechit said: or an option to upload a config file and go from there...

If you set up one the way you want it, you can copy the conf file from that server to any other server and it will set it up to the same way.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited August 2019

@experttechit said:
    I really think DA needs a basic install, to give you a nice interface, then a wizard to install the features you want so it compiles once to how you want it....

choose:

skin
    hostname
    nameservers
    Ip's to add
    MariaDB / MySQL
    PHP Version(s)
    choose some php memory limits etc...
    Antispam

Plugins:
    CSF
    ClamAV

etc...

or an option to upload a config file and go from there...

I did too many installs both cPanel and DA last 45 days so I now follow the lazy way of less typing in shell.... I do 100% default install of DA as (it is require host name license and couple of yes)

that is the minimal way

and then I place ready options.conf with almost all of the things you mentioned and do ./build all d

while writing on forums watching tv etc... when it is ready the fine tuning is no more than on cPanel (even less)

In Cloud Linux deployment scenario after the initial install I just convert the Centos, reboot add CageFS and MySQL Governor and alt php and then place the options conf and do build all

P.S I know that I can place options conf on initall setup but that is more typing and will not work for cloud linux unless I optimize to deploy it before the DA but then it will not recognize the panel so ... I like my way of "lazy" deployment

• @JasonM said:
    Has anyone started using the new DA icon theme which looks similar to cpanel? I saw it on custombuild

I believe @MikePT is

Personally waiting for the next stable release which shouldn't be too long

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited August 2019

^ I still think a simple curses-based (pre-)install script would go a long way to make installation much easier for many. The results of choices made can then become a template, if needs be. Though I'm slowly getting there, I do think there are far too many manual steps, at this point. A sensible set of more defaults (CSF, DKIM etc.) would be beneficial, many of which are outlined in eva2000's walk-through. Plus my previous suggestion of enabling EPEL and installing ccache right at the start, ofc.

(BFM isn't working out well for me, when trying to not disable sections of CSF but I hope to resolve that. At the moment it acts just as a monitor, not passing violations to CSF/iptables.)

I'd like to see an integrated munin presentation that contrasts with the 3rd party nonsense of CWP. This would also replicate WHM functionality.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • Hi guys,

First order of business is to thank you for your feedback (from what seems like a long time ago) regarding our Lite license. We finally locked in the details of what it will be, all due to the feedback here. Because of the pushback I received, there's actually two new retail products that came as a result of this. Here's a preview of what our retail pricing page will soon contain:

1) Trial license. Actually, a full retail DA license that will last for 60 days. No credit card required. No spam. No contact with a live human being required. Perfect for summer hosts.

2) Personal license. $2/month. Yes, two bucks a month for a commercial control panel. Single login, and up to 10 domains. It will be charged annually due to merchant costs eating up monthly transactions.

3) Lite license. About half price of our $29 retail license. 10 accounts, 50 domains.

4) Regular $29 license remains unchanged.

I realize this isn't earth-shattering news to anyone, because most of you are providers or getting licenses from providers, which is cheaper than retail pricing (even with these new changes). So this is more of a thanks than anything.

Regarding the other suggestions, please keep them coming, especially the installer. Now that the licensing structure has been worked on, we will have much more time for tweaks and development. I really like the idea of wayyyyy more customization in the installer, even to the point of defining default skins etc. (On the other hand, lots of the big guys are demanding a hands-off installer, requiring zero input -- not even license ID etc. We are working on this too.)

Mark

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

DA_Mark said: Regarding the other suggestions, please keep them coming, especially the installer. Now that the licensing structure has been worked on, we will have much more time for tweaks and development. I really like the idea of wayyyyy more customization in the installer, even to the point of defining default skins etc. (On the other hand, lots of the big guys are demanding a hands-off installer, requiring zero input -- not even license ID etc. We are working on this too.)

It'd just be nice to be able to make a VPS template and we just have to call a couple of commands to globally change hostnames and whatever other stuff married the install to the original IP's/etc.

That'd be slick :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @DA_Mark said:

3) Lite license. About half price of our $29 retail license. 10 accounts, 50 domains.

This is almost perfect, just wish it didn't have the 10 account limit. 50 domains is plenty, but on my personal usage cPanel box, I'm currently sitting at 12 accounts, 15 domains.

• @Francisco said:

It'd just be nice to be able to make a VPS template and we just have to call a couple of commands to globally change hostnames and whatever other stuff married the install to the original IP's/etc.

That'd be slick :)

Francisco

Don't forget webmail and phpmyadmin auto-login. :wink:

But yes, #3 on https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=2104 -- you can now do a license-less install of DA, to make things a bit faster. getLicense.sh to install the license, and ipswap.sh to assign the new IP, maybe 30 seconds and done? Not the most seamless I admit. I guess you could set the hostname to host.name.com and let the customer adjust it in their admin panel once they login? No command line neeeded.

• @MikeSpears said:

@DA_Mark said:

This is almost perfect, just wish it didn't have the 10 account limit. 50 domains is plenty, but on my personal usage cPanel box, I'm currently sitting at 12 accounts, 15 domains.

I hear you -- we had to draw the line somewhere, but for a half-price retail license I think it's pretty fair. It's not intended for crazy amounts of shared or reseller hosting (that's that the regular license is for). If your server provider/datacenter offers DA, they should be able to offer you an unrestricted license (unlimited accounts/domains) for the same price or better. Retail license is always the most expensive option of course, no matter what product.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • spareksparek Member
    edited August 2019

In regards to the installation process - I guess I wonder if there is too much noise in all of these comments.

Could improvements be made in the installation process? Maybe. But how much of that can be scripted by the server administrator?

I mean... I see complaints about the default DirectAdmin install installing this or installing that. Perhaps there's not a bright enough light being shone on the ability to place a /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf prior to running the DirectAdmin setup.sh script?

Perhaps a more modular design needs to be made. Instead of complicating the installation process by adding menus... create a separate script (or flag to the setup script) that starts an ncurses or some type of step by step system to create a /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf file before running the setup.

Those of us that already have a /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf to distribute out to our new servers, we can just set it and run the setup.sh.

I guess my philosophy is... there's a line between what DirectAdmin is suppose to provide and what server administrators are suppose to provide for themselves. If DirectAdmin development is spending all of their time adding requests that can be easily scripted by server administrators... is that time better spent working on some other improvement?

Like the backup system... is it DirectAdmin's place to sync backups to all of these backup storage places? Or is that the job of the individual server administrator? For me... if DirectAdmin can provide a backup of an account - a shell of that account - then I can handle the synching of that backup packge and the account's home directory to where ever I need it. If you're not careful, you end up providing a backup system that fits specifically to just PersonA and then another backup system that fits specifically just to PersonB and you're spending countless hours making backup system that each fit just one person. At some point, server administrators have to take the tools that are made available and meld them into a model that works for them.

• WSWDWSWD Member, Host Rep

@DA_Mark said:

Perfect for summer hosts.

LMAO! Too funny! :) :) :)

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint Ympker
  • @DA_Mark said:
    Hi guys,

First order of business is to thank you for your feedback (from what seems like a long time ago) regarding our Lite license.

Thanks for the first-hand news!

1) Trial license. Actually, a full retail DA license that will last for 60 days. No credit card required. No spam. No contact with a live human being required. Perfect for summer hosts.

Please don't forget to mention "trial license" at the panel's bottom so we can easily pinpoint the summer ones. :wink:

• bulabula Member

This seems reasonable for personal sites and small business. Like myself I am no longer in Hosting business but help friends and family members with hosting needs. This works just fine. looking forward for entry level plans.

@DA_Mark said:
    Hi guys,

2) Personal license. $2/month. Yes, two bucks a month for a commercial control panel. Single login, and up to 10 domains. It will be charged annually due to merchant costs eating up monthly transactions.

Mark

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited August 2019

Good pricing. I unfortunately really bite my ass that I just bought a lifetime license, as I could get along well with one of the "smaller" and cheaper licenses, but still good, fair and competitive pricing. Well done, @DA_Mark!

Thanked by 2MikePT Ympker
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2019

Good pricing and presents a great option to use any provider rather than just those that bundle it.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

all good - as said above automatic sql login and webmail login.

I would love a few more options to the built in backup such as:

ssh rsync backup with only changes updated
    days to keep backups option
    test option to make sure its correct and can do what it needs

• @bula said:
    This seems reasonable for personal sites and small business. Like myself I am no longer in Hosting business but help friends and family members with hosting needs. This works just fine. looking forward for entry level plans.

Thanks for the feedback -- it really helps me because there was a bit of internal resistance/grumblings about my price proposal for the personal license; mostly that it was too much of a discount compared to other solo-type licenses out there. That's the reason it took so long to finalize pricing. My business partners made good points -- that even a 50% discount (compared to others) would be a deal.

Ultimately it came down to what I would do in that situation. My own VPS, a few hobby domains/projects, maybe looking like a hero to a friend/acquaintance by hosting their static content and domain. Would I really pay $10-$15/month ($120-$180/year) in addition to the cost of my VPS? Zero chance. My hobby VPS isn't a money maker. I don't want it to become that much of a financial burden.

But $2/month.. Hmm. I'm getting a commercial product.. I'm giving up a bit of cash to support development, but I don't mind -- because someone finally decided to be fair about pricing.

My thoughts anyway. :neutral: