Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 28
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• donlidonli Member

@MasonR said:

I hope nobody bought any lifetime license with the intention of pawning them off at a later date :tongue:

I hope people read the fine print on their screen when buying.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@donli said:

@MasonR said:

I hope nobody bought any lifetime license with the intention of pawning them off at a later date :tongue:

I hope people read the fine print on their screen when buying.

People actually read ToS's and legal docs? That's crazy talk!

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

I think it’s good DA did that - if they want to focus on new features now they really need to make it sustainable, and one off payments are not

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

@MikePT said:
    Creating a Virtualization layer isnt necessary. Gets more expensive for both the Provider and client. I dont see your point here. You could no longer sell value-added reseller accounts. Mail relays such as MailChannels? Would need to have the customer purchasing his own account. CloudLinux? Same. LiteSpeed? Same... Backups? Customer would need to sort those, as you cant just backup the whole VM, it would only be good for DR purposed.
    Provider, virt panel then another dedicated IP etc. You really dont get it, do you? As I said, you surely know your panel very well but not the industry. Dont come up with the creative agency, thats not reflecting what the industry wants. As you said, it is what it is. I can however tell you that it isnt going to work for most.

MailChannels

rspamd is an excellent substitute. Aggregation and diversity of data can be a problem for smaller outfits and maybe MC has its utility here. Larger firms including mine have used rspamd as a policy milter to curb spam. It's not a black box either.

CloudLinux

cgroups. NSS/PAM jailing.

LiteSpeed

This is tricky as LS' plugin for WP is quite nice. Using Apache's built-in cache and/or a CDN solves the caching side, although busting is a different situation. AFAIK LS is the only kid on the block to do both.

Backups

Bacula. It's a simple drop-in. There's even a job profile to backup just the client's metadata and shadow layer.

It's not value-added when the entire industry looks and acts the same. It's mindless cohesion that drives up provider costs, depresses pricing via pure competition, creates vendor-lock, and fragments a product's consistency.

apnscp knows how to work with NAT. Put haproxy in front and use SNI to forward to the appropriate backend if you're tight on IPv4s. Plus you now have a lightweight sink in front of your resellers that can monitor traffic and perform health checks. If you need to move a reseller to another node to ameliorate congestion, it's a simple live migration.

I don't see your use case as "most" nor do the providers banding around apnscp many of whom are equally interested in ditching MailChannels and who have sufficient servers to aggregate learning data. They're banding together over a moment of clarity of what can happen when a vendor they rely upon unexpectedly tightens the rope. Multiply the vendor count out by a factor of 5 and now you have 5 ropes around your neck.

We don't have the same vision and only time will tell who's right. I am not here to follow the leader nor trap providers, myself included, into third-party licensing for a product to work. There's always cPanel if you really want that.

We are at a confluence of incredible emergent technology. Let's learn to make progress with it.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited July 2019

Stopping lifetime licneses (that is pay once, get set with updates for life) was expected after the cPanel's move. Would be pleasantly surprised if "price increase protection" remains for more than 6 months.

• DirectAdmin license at ovh is cheap for a VPS?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Some people do want lifetime licenses though. It being gone is expected by those with common sense.

For those without it though..., it may feel like betrayal.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2019

As I just saw in their site, DA will start to offer a "lite edition" without giving more details. It seem they going to offer cheaper licenses for less money (?) or vps licenses like Cpanel used to do - the one named "cloud" now?

bikegremlin said: pay once, get set with updates for life

IIRC, their lifetime license was never a one-time for updates and support. They offered (and still offer) 1 year support and updates.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @jvnadr said:
    As I just saw in their site, DA will start to offer a "lite edition" without giving more details. It seem they going to offer cheaper licenses for less money (?) or vps licenses like Cpanel used to do - the one named "cloud" now?

bikegremlin said: pay once, get set with updates for life

IIRC, their lifetime license was never a one-time for updates and support. They offered (and still offer) 1 year support and updates.

IIRC it's 90 days support and unlimited updates

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

robohost said: IIRC it's 90 days support and unlimited updates

No, it's 365

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@jvnadr said:

robohost said: IIRC it's 90 days support and unlimited updates

No, it's 365

It actually was 90 days of support (I know, I saw it with my own eyes and it made sense too).

It appears they changed it when they added the $99/year support & updates extention option.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

donli said: It actually was 90 days (I know, I saw it with my own eyes and it made sense too).

Interesting. If this is accurate, it seem that they stopped the transfer ability for lifetime licenses but they extended their support to a year. Let's see if there will be other price changes, it seem that they will introduce something even cheaper...

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@jvnadr said:

donli said: It actually was 90 days (I know, I saw it with my own eyes and it made sense too).

Interesting. If this is accurate, it seem that they stopped the transfer ability for lifetime licenses but they extended their support to a year. Let's see if there will be other price changes, it seem that they will introduce something even cheaper...

Courtesy of the Internet Archive Wayback machine...

https://web.archive.org/web/20190410091021/https://directadmin.com/pricing.php

It was 90 days technical support and lifetime upgrades now it's 1 year technical support and upgrades.

The "protection against price increases" also disappeared from the lifetime license.

edited July 2019

Would be foolish to miss out this opportunity. Any control panel vendor who is missing out this chance is a fool and doesn't deserve surviving.

What CPanel has had a firm grasp was the reseller segment. Some hosts are abandoning shared and reseller due to the price increase. Grab those market shares.

Thanked by 2MikePT poisson
  • isaaclisaacl Member
    edited July 2019

Did DirectAdmin change their lifetime licenses before yesterday, since the cPanel announcement (or anytime recently, before their new announcement)?

And for those who already had accounts, has anything changed with the lifetime licenses for now?

• donlidonli Member

@deank said:
    Would be foolish to miss out this opportunity. Any control panel vendor who is missing out this chance is a fool and doesn't deserve surviving.

What CPanel has had a firm grasp was the reseller segment. Some hosts are abandoning shared and reseller due to the prince increase. Grab those market shares.

The leader is foundering, now is their chance. Capitalize before the storm is over.

• AmitzAmitz Member

@isaacl said:
    Did DirectAdmin change their lifetime licenses before yesterday, since the cPanel announcement (or anytime recently, before their new announcement)?

And for those who already had accounts, has anything changed with the lifetime licenses for now?

It must have happened during the last 72 hours. I was thinking about a lifetime license and "the old one" was still available at that time.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • isaaclisaacl Member

Think if you already had an account, you can still get the old ones, but if you didn't, you might be out of luck

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Francisco said: Remember, they have to lose more than 50% of their customer base to make this a loss for them.

They are just increasing balance sheet for short term and sell at high valuations . I have seen big business doing that

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2019

A couple of days ago where I considered buying it was 100% like this:

90 days support
    Lifetime Updates&Upgrades
    No price increase

• AmitzAmitz Member

Yep, exactly.

Circumstance changed. 3 days ago, hosts wouldn't use DA even if it was offered free.

Now? Different.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Ympker said: A couple of days ago where I considered buying it was 100% like this:

They are trying different pricing models like hostbills used to do once upon a time

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@bikegremlin said:
    Stopping lifetime licneses (that is pay once, get set with updates for life) was expected after the cPanel's move. Would be pleasantly surprised if "price increase protection" remains for more than 6 months.

I have noticed that DA added $99 fee per year for update to their lifetime license as a couple days ago I don’t think it was and lite version of DA is coming soon.

• @Ympker said:
    A couple of days ago where I considered buying it was 100% like this:

90 days support
    Lifetime Updates&Upgrades
    No price increase

Exactly.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited July 2019

@nem said:

@MikePT said:
    Creating a Virtualization layer isnt necessary. Gets more expensive for both the Provider and client. I dont see your point here. You could no longer sell value-added reseller accounts. Mail relays such as MailChannels? Would need to have the customer purchasing his own account. CloudLinux? Same. LiteSpeed? Same... Backups? Customer would need to sort those, as you cant just backup the whole VM, it would only be good for DR purposed.
    Provider, virt panel then another dedicated IP etc. You really dont get it, do you? As I said, you surely know your panel very well but not the industry. Dont come up with the creative agency, thats not reflecting what the industry wants. As you said, it is what it is. I can however tell you that it isnt going to work for most.

MailChannels

rspamd is an excellent substitute. Aggregation and diversity of data can be a problem for smaller outfits and maybe MC has its utility here. Larger firms including mine have used rspamd as a policy milter to curb spam. It's not a black box either.

CloudLinux

cgroups. NSS/PAM jailing.

LiteSpeed

This is tricky as LS' plugin for WP is quite nice. Using Apache's built-in cache and/or a CDN solves the caching side, although busting is a different situation. AFAIK LS is the only kid on the block to do both.

Backups

Bacula. It's a simple drop-in. There's even a job profile to backup just the client's metadata and shadow layer.

It's not value-added when the entire industry looks and acts the same. It's mindless cohesion that drives up provider costs, depresses pricing via pure competition, creates vendor-lock, and fragments a product's consistency.

apnscp knows how to work with NAT. Put haproxy in front and use SNI to forward to the appropriate backend if you're tight on IPv4s. Plus you now have a lightweight sink in front of your resellers that can monitor traffic and perform health checks. If you need to move a reseller to another node to ameliorate congestion, it's a simple live migration.

I don't see your use case as "most" nor do the providers banding around apnscp many of whom are equally interested in ditching MailChannels and who have sufficient servers to aggregate learning data. They're banding together over a moment of clarity of what can happen when a vendor they rely upon unexpectedly tightens the rope. Multiply the vendor count out by a factor of 5 and now you have 5 ropes around your neck.

We don't have the same vision and only time will tell who's right. I am not here to follow the leader nor trap providers, myself included, into third-party licensing for a product to work. There's always cPanel if you really want that.

We are at a confluence of incredible emergent technology. Let's learn to make progress with it.

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate your input. I have not yet tested your product, but I will do so soon. If there's something I really value, is developers like you focused on security aspects, and working their asses off to create a quality product, which yours seems to be.

Thanked by 1nem
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2019

@deank said:
    Circumstance changed. 3 days ago, hosts wouldn't use DA even if it was offered free.

Now? Different.

Haha, your are right. We are still testing DA and so far no for us.

• JorboxJorbox Member

I wanted to get a lifetime but now I will not for sure because DirectAdmin does the same thing like cPanel and changed the price in just one day !! changed from free updates to 90$/year updates so ( Good bye ) for all paid panels I'm going to the free alternatives and CyperPanel looks promising and ispconfig for sure.

Thanked by 2Ympker HostMayo

Well, support (maintenance) costs money. DA issued lifetime license to get people to use their product. Demand was so low that they didn't care.

Now that the demand is there; they need to care.
    Sucks, I know but also know this. Free panels won't react fast to zero day vulnerabilities. It requires paid staffs to make that happen.

Thanked by 3ITLabs jvnadr poisson
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

So anyone came out with their own cPanel rival panel yet only to abandon it after couple of months?