Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody ever heard of or used Degoo?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anybody ever heard of or used Degoo?

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Saw this while browsing my news feed and wasn't sure if it was worth it or not: https://www.androidauthority.com/degoo-premium-lifetime-2tb-backup-984556/amp/

I normally stay away from anything with "lifetime" deals but for some reason it piqued my interest. Thoughts?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2019

I saw their name a year or so ago with a different lifetime deal I think, it's a Swedish company and they seem to have a good group of people there, so doesn't seem like a too bad choice.

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • StyxStyx Member

Personally i would never trust that. Never heard of them either.

Thanked by 1NiPlex
  • solairesolaire Member
    edited May 2019

There was a thread on a Dutch forum on them a few years back, so things may have changed since then (mind you, they were running the same deal, even slightly cheaper than today). To sum up: storage is okay, and so are the mobile apps. Web interface seems to be bugged and hardly usable. Additionally, people sometimes run into issues when they attempt to sync their files over multiple devices, and as a result are unable to download / modify them anymore. Support is crap.

So, they're fine as backup of backup of backup storage I guess. I personally wouldn't count on them though. Would rather pay a few more bucks and trust that I can get my data back should I need to.

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • StyxStyx Member

Personally i use jottacloud. Pretty simple desktop app, just select folders and they sync for you. Thats on windows though. You know, for us who are to stupid to manage big Linux servers..

Its about 10 dollars per month for "unlimited", witch isnt unlimited, but 10TB before they start to complain about over usage. Speeds are ok, getting around 200mbit to hetzner. Servers in Norway

Thanked by 2KuJoe NiPlex
  • donlidonli Member
    edited May 2019

@KuJoe said:
    Saw this while browsing my news feed and wasn't sure if it was worth it or not: https://www.androidauthority.com/degoo-premium-lifetime-2tb-backup-984556/amp/

I normally stay away from anything with "lifetime" deals but for some reason it piqued my interest. Thoughts?

How can you know about degoo?! There're supposed to be the "top secret cloud drive"
    (says so right on their homepage).

• spunspun Member

I've had a Degoo lifetime account for a couple of years.

Do I trust them? No. I don't know how long they'll last but so far it has been worth it for a tiny bit of piece of mind.

I keep daily backups of my main computer on an external hard drive and my computer is always sending backups to Degoo. I also use it for cellphone backups. I use it on the lowest setting so it doesn't tie down my connection. It's more of a if my house burns down hopefully I can get some files back.

I had my main hard drive crash that had about 200GB of stuff on it. I went to restore from Degoo and it would have taken a day or two to get the full backup. I cancelled and ended up restoring from my physical backup drive which took significantly less time.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the info. I've decided to take a long hard look at my backups and I've decided to cancel some backup services instead of adding more. :scream: