Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup Root-Server Spring 2019 (2 ded cores/ 20 GB RAM / 128 GB SSD - 9.95 EUR) - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup Root-Server Spring 2019 (2 ded cores/ 20 GB RAM / 128 GB SSD - 9.95 EUR)

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@jsg said:

@angstrom said:
    Well, @Whoa (who you're replying to) ... reporting his experience more than he was complaining about netcup, and he didn't mention racism.

@Whoa said:
    Welp ... looks like those of us from s***hole countries are less than welcome.

We can find a nicer word than "racism" but I referred to @Whoa's quoted statement. My point was btw not to accuse him of anything but rather to emphasize that netcup is not based on <insert nicer term than racism> but on reasonable business criteria based on experience.

I think that @Whoa understands this.

At the same time, he can still feel disappointed.

Again, some countries are perceived more negatively than others. There are usually good reasons for this difference in perception, but it can nevertheless negatively affect honest individuals from negatively perceived countries.

edited April 2019

@angstrom said:

@jsg said:

@angstrom said:
    Well, @Whoa (who you're replying to) ... reporting his experience more than he was complaining about netcup, and he didn't mention racism.

@Whoa said:
    Welp ... looks like those of us from s***hole countries are less than welcome.

We can find a nicer word than "racism" but I referred to @Whoa's quoted statement. My point was btw not to accuse him of anything but rather to emphasize that netcup is not based on <insert nicer term than racism> but on reasonable business criteria based on experience.

I think that @Whoa understands this.

At the same time, he can still feel disappointed.

Again, some countries are perceived more negatively than others. There are usually good reasons for this difference in perception, but it can nevertheless negatively affect honest individuals from negatively perceived countries.

Just to add (which may be important in this context) that @Whoa's choice of the phrase "s***hole countries" intentionally echoes (in a self-deprecating way) Donald Trump's same choice of words for certain countries.

• @Whoa said:

as told, we do need a legit document, proofed by official instances.

Some copies of invoices of random things cannot be accepted due to reasons of security. We had big problems in the past and suggest you let proof your adress of
    for example the german embassy in your country.

After sending that, we will check again.

Thank you for your understanding.

German embassy?!? Now this is just comedy. Can you imagine what the officials at your German embassy would say if you went to the trouble to actually go there, and then ask them for this? I'm guessing, after a lot of initial confusion about what you want, you would be laughed out of there.

In Germany, everybody has to register themselves with the local authorities (called the Meldeamt) when they change their address. (In fact, this is one of the simpler parts of the massive German bureaucracy.) Therefore, to a German, it's perfectly reasonable to expect that everyone can produce a document certifying their address. That's nice, except not every country does this. In the US, for example, such a thing simply doesn't exist. I've even heard Germans say, "well, surely you can go to the local police and get this, right?". No, no you can't. :-)

Of course Netcup has every right to refuse any client they like. But they should come up with more reasonable ways to handle identity verification. In fact, any document can be forged, so how are they able to tell what's "official" versus what's fraudulent? I suppose that same question could apply to any provider doing verification based on documents sent electronically. At some point, they just have to trust that what the client is telling them is true based upon the evidence. Otherwise, no amount of evidence or documentation will help.

• williewillie Member
    edited April 2019

Maybe they want the person to go to the German embassy (or consulate) and show someone their drivers license or other ID? Someone working in a German consular office in country X would know how to recognize X's documents like drivers licenses.

There is also a kind of international notarization certificate that one can get, called "apostille". I had to do it once to help someone with an overseas real estate transaction. It is somewhat more hassle than ordinary notarization but maybe it would do the job. You have to first get the document notarized the normal way, then send the notarized document to a government office that attaches an apostille certificate saying that the notary is a real notary. The fees were not too bad in the scheme of things, but doing it for a VPS seems kind of silly.

Hetzner was satisfied with a passport scan: did Netcup decline that?

Thanked by 1kkrajk

@willie said: Hetzner was satisfied with a passport scan: did Netcup decline that?

Well, a passport scan won't verify an address, which is what netcup wanted to verify.

However, if the OP was going to pay by PayPal, then there's a PayPal address on record already, in which case it should be sufficient to supply a document confirming the name & address. But then the question of language comes into play ...

In any case, it can be tricky, and we don't have all of the details.

• @willie said:
    Maybe they want the person to go to the German embassy (or consulate) and show someone their drivers license or other ID? Someone working in a German consular office in country X would know how to recognize X's documents like drivers licenses.

Perhaps, but I don't think you'll get any official certification of this. Normally embassies and consulates are prepared to handle only specialized tasks.

There is also a kind of international notarization certificate that one can get, called "apostille". I had to do it once to help someone with an overseas real estate transaction. It is somewhat more hassle than ordinary notarization but maybe it would do the job. You have to first get the document notarized the normal way, then send the notarized document to a government office that attaches an apostille certificate saying that the notary is a real notary. The fees were not too bad in the scheme of things, but doing it for a VPS seems kind of silly.

Yep, this is the actual, internationally recognized way to do this. I've had to do it also. But it's usually done only for a certain class of documents like deeds, birth and marriage certificates, etc. I have no idea how you would get an apostille to certify someone's address in a country like the US, which issues no registration confirmation document ("Meldebescheinigung" in German).

• williewillie Member
    edited April 2019

For most purposes I'd expect the address on your drivers license is good enough. You don't have to actually live at the address on the license, but you have to be able to get mail at it, including legal documents. The apostille doesn't certify the address--it only certifies that the document was notarized by a legitimate notary (so it's sort of a meta-notary). The notary is the one who certifies that you presented a DL with so-and-so address on it. They have to undergo some training in checking DL's and detecting fake ones, I believe.

• Well, netcup one of the stupid host I've ever seen.

Asking for proof of address?

Ok, no problem.

Document should be translated in English and legally attested?

Every country has own official language and it might be different than English.

Translation is cheap, legally attestation is time consuming and expensive, apostille translation accepts only from licensed translation services.

Offer might be great but netcup should be banned forever for being such stupid.

Can't handle internationals customers? Just don't accept orders, disable registration, add information about that.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint

@alexvolk said:
    Well, netcup one of the stupid host I've ever seen.

Seems like a strong reaction, given that we don't know very much.

netcup didn't accept @Whoa's local electricity bill as a proof of address, which may not be so surprising.

• asbasb Member

Interestingly, netcup have just made their RS4000 and RS8000 "Root Server" offerings significantly less attractive in terms of core count.

Old vs new:

Thanked by 2angstrom willie

@asb said:
    Interestingly, netcup have just made their RS4000 and RS8000 "Root Server" offerings significantly less attractive in terms of core count.

Given the lower prices and the increased disk space, I guess that something had to go. :neutral:

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@asb said:

Old vs new:

To much mining.

Thanked by 1vimalware

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I decided to get one of netcup's Easter specials, namely, the VPS Eierpower 1 Ostern 2019 (you need to find the corresponding egg!):

4 vCores (KVM/vServer)
    12 GB RAM
    750 GB SSD-Performance (Cached with Optane)
    40 TB Traffic
    8,75€/month (including German VAT)
    (Contract period: 1 month; pay for 3 months)

A very good deal, it seems to me. Here's a nice Geekbench result:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12873290 (single-core score: 3343)

Compare this to a fresh Geekbench result on my netcup Root-Server from Easter last year:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12873378 (single-core score: 2867)

Naturally, the (better) result for the vServer is probably subject to more variation, given that the vCores are shared. In any case, I'm thinking of replacing the old Root-Server with the new vServer.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@angstrom said:
    I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I decided to get one of netcup's Easter specials, namely, the VPS Eierpower 1 Ostern 2019 (you need to find the corresponding egg!):

4 vCores (KVM/vServer)
    12 GB RAM
    40 TB Traffic

Compare this to a fresh Geekbench result on my netcup Root-Server from Easter last year:

Naturally, the (better) result for the vServer is probably subject to more variation, given that the vCores are shared. In any case, I'm thinking of replacing the old Root-Server with the new vServer.

good choice I'd say ;-)

have to admit I skipped it because I still have the VPS 1000 G8 Plus one with 4GB RAM less at 7,49€ up and running... nice boxes anyway.

Thanked by 2angstrom Ympker

@Falzo said: good choice I'd say ;-)

I also found the VPS Eierpower 2 interesting (double everything), but it would have been overkill for my needs. :smile:

Falzo said: have to admit I skipped it because I still have the VPS 1000 G8 Plus one with 4GB RAM less at 7,49€ up and running... nice boxes anyway.

Was that one of the Adventkalendar specials? (Or was it BF?) Yeah, that was also a good deal, but I wasn't able to get any of those specials for some reason! (Always a bit too late. :smiley: )

• @angstrom said:

4 vCores (KVM/vServer)
    12 GB RAM
    40 TB Traffic

Nice pick mate :)

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • BochiBochi Member

Their site seems to be offline right now, but if anyone finds the egg containing the mentioned "VPS starting at 1,79€" -> give me a ping! ;)
    To lazy at the moment to probe around the "OstereiAPI". :P

edited April 2019

@Bochi said:
    Their site seems to be offline right now, but if anyone finds the egg containing the mentioned "VPS starting at 1,79€" -> give me a ping! ;)

Saw several eggs for that one earlier in the day, but I suspect that they went quickly (given the low price). Hopefully, there'll be a restock tomorrow (Monday).

• Hello,

may you give HDD performance? dd, ioping?

• BochiBochi Member

@angstrom said:
    Saw several eggs for that one earlier in the day, but I suspect that they went quickly (given the low price). Hopefully, there'll be a restock tomorrow (Monday).

Oh no, that's too bad...
    I set up a crawler, but now that I got some time, only webhosting plans show up.

• @adamus007p said:
    Hello,

may you give HDD performance? dd, ioping?

`

nench.sh v2019.03.01 -- https://git.io/nench.sh

benchmark timestamp: 2019-04-22 07:04:28 UTC

Processor: QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    CPU cores: 4
    Frequency: 2399.996 MHz
    RAM: 11G
    Swap: -
    Kernel: Linux 4.9.0-0.bpo.8-amd64 x86_64

Disks:
    sda 750G HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
    2.942 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
    5.141 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
    1.507 seconds

ioping: seek rate
    ioping: sequential read speed

dd: sequential write speed
    1st run: 423.43 MiB/s
    2nd run: 429.15 MiB/s
    3rd run: 430.11 MiB/s
    average: 427.56 MiB/s

No IPv4 connectivity detected

No IPv6 connectivity detected

`

Thanked by 1angstrom

Just saw an egg for the VPS 500 G8 for 3,99€/m. (In terms of savings, this one is less interesting, because there's a regular promotion for this VPS for 4,29€/m.)

• It's even faster than SSD.

Adv17 RS 1000 Plus
    E5-2680V4 6 Core 8 GB RAM 60 GB SSD @ 8.99€/MO

[root@web ~]# dd bs=64k count=4k if=/dev/zero of=test oflag=dsync
    4096+0 records in
    4096+0 records out
    268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 10.3204 s, 26.0 MB/s
    [root@web ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 4.08346 s, 263 MB/s
        min/avg/max/mdev = 112.6 us / 622.2 us / 2.56 ms / 518.3 us
        generated 7.45 k requests in 5.00 s, 1.82 GiB, 1.49 k iops, 372.4 MiB/s

1st run:    308.99 MiB/s
        2nd run:    307.08 MiB/s
        3rd run:    308.99 MiB/s
        average:    308.35 MiB/s

VPS Eierpower 1 Ostern 2019
    4 vCores 12 GB RAM 750 GB SSD-Performance @ 8.75€/MO

root@web:~# dd bs=64k count=4k if=/dev/zero of=test oflag=dsync
    4096+0 records in
    4096+0 records out
    268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 5.6342 s, 47.6 MB/s
    root@web:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.66358 s, 403 MB/s
        min/avg/max/mdev = 38.7 us / 71.7 us / 3.66 ms / 70.1 us
        generated 9.86 k requests in 5.00 s, 2.41 GiB, 1.97 k iops, 492.9 MiB/s

1st run:    421.52 MiB/s
        2nd run:    400.54 MiB/s
        3rd run:    417.71 MiB/s
        average:    413.26 MiB/s

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • adamus007padamus007p Member
    edited April 2019

mine is

`

nench.sh v2019.03.01 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
    benchmark timestamp: 2019-04-22 16:06:28 UTC

Processor: QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    CPU cores: 4
    Frequency: 2399.996 MHz
    RAM: 11G
    Swap: -
    Kernel: Linux 4.9.0-0.bpo.8-amd64 x86_64

Disks:
    sda 750G HDD

3.533 seconds
    5.598 seconds
    1.562 seconds

min/avg/max/mdev = 38 us / 109 us / 43.4 ms / 478 us
    9.96 k requests completed in 5.00 s, 2.00 k iops, 501.2 MiB/s

1st run: 246.05 MiB/s
    2nd run: 232.70 MiB/s
    3rd run: 197.41 MiB/s
    average: 225.39 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
    your IPv4: 46.232.248.xxxx

Cachefly CDN:         93.46 MiB/s
    Leaseweb (NL):        71.75 MiB/s
    Softlayer DAL (US):   11.73 MiB/s
    Online.net (FR):      35.05 MiB/s
    OVH BHS (CA):         10.90 MiB/s

IPv6 speedtests
    your IPv6: 2a03:4000:2b:xxxx

Leaseweb (NL): 67.71 MiB/s
    Softlayer DAL (US): 0.00 MiB/s
    Online.net (FR): 58.10 MiB/s
    OVH BHS (CA): 9.17 MiB/s

root@1111:~# dd bs=64k count=4k if=/dev/zero of=test oflag=dsync
    4096+0 records in
    4096+0 records out
    268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 4.9384 s, 54.4 MB/s
    root@1111:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 4.23169 s, 254 MB/s
    `

it seems slower.

did I get a slower node? or why my VPS is slower?

• EHRAEHRA Member

Hello everyone, I got one of the Netcup offerings.

Performance: https://serverscope.io/trials/rjwz

RS 500 SAS G8 Ostern 2019
    Price: €4.99
    CPU: 2 dedicated cores Intel® Xeon® E5-2680V4
    RAM: 4 GB
    Disk: 240 GB SAS
    Traffic: ?
    Contract period: 12 month(s)
    Billing period: 12 month(s)

• @EHRA said:
    RAM: 4 GB

Congratulations. This one cool except 4GB RAM.

• @EHRA why there is Disk Read
    6 MB/s ??

• Processor:    Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6140 CPU @ 2.30GHz
    CPU cores:    2
    Frequency:    2294.608 MHz
    RAM:          19G
    Swap:         -
    Kernel:       Linux 3.10.0-957.10.1.el7.x86_64 x86_64

Disks:
    sda    128G  HDD

1.565 seconds
        1.210 seconds

min/avg/max/mdev = 60.2 us / 81.1 us / 18.5 ms / 109.7 us
        generated 19.9 k requests in 5.00 s, 4.86 GiB, 3.98 k iops, 994.7 MiB/s

1st run:    275.61 MiB/s
        2nd run:    295.64 MiB/s
        3rd run:    300.41 MiB/s
        average:    290.55 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests

Cachefly CDN:         89.28 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        104.34 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   15.17 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      77.71 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         13.59 MiB/s

IPv6 speedtests

Leaseweb (NL):        104.86 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   0.00 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      65.67 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         14.43 MiB/s

Processor:    Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6140 CPU @ 2.30GHz
    CPU cores:    4
    Frequency:    2294.614 MHz
    RAM:          15G

Disks:
    sda     60G  HDD

1.580 seconds
        1.116 seconds

min/avg/max/mdev = 67.9 us / 165.5 us / 1.49 ms / 70.0 us
        generated 13.0 k requests in 5.00 s, 3.17 GiB, 2.60 k iops, 649.3 MiB/s

1st run:    264.17 MiB/s
        2nd run:    320.43 MiB/s
        3rd run:    327.11 MiB/s
        average:    303.90 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests

Cachefly CDN:         90.37 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        87.06 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   11.40 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      2.62 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         6.55 MiB/s

IPv6 speedtests

Leaseweb (NL):        78.82 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      45.44 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         11.87 MiB/s

Processor:    QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    CPU cores:    4
    Frequency:    2399.996 MHz
    RAM:          11G

Disks:
    sda    750G  HDD

1.950 seconds
        1.626 seconds

min/avg/max/mdev = 40.2 us / 61.7 us / 3.82 ms / 41.9 us
        generated 5.86 k requests in 5.00 s, 1.43 GiB, 1.17 k iops, 292.8 MiB/s

1st run:    268.94 MiB/s
        2nd run:    348.09 MiB/s
        3rd run:    296.59 MiB/s
        average:    304.54 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests

Cachefly CDN:         97.53 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        82.34 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   11.93 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      56.17 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         13.83 MiB/s

IPv6 speedtests

Leaseweb (NL):        95.42 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      80.00 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         13.34 MiB/s

• EHRAEHRA Member

@adamus007p said:
    @EHRA why there is Disk Read
    6 MB/s ??

Maybe a limitation of SAS, I do not know for sure.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited April 2019

@adamus007p said:
    @EHRA why there is Disk Read
    6 MB/s ??

because the test that serverscope uses is fio with 4k blocksize, which is intended to show you IO/s rather then sequential speed. in this case it says 1600 iops (1600x4k ~6.25MB/s)
    if you get the same iops for bigger blocksizes the speed will scale accordingly (1600x64k ~100MB/s) but at some point the transfer speed becomes the limit and the iops drop.

however it'd be better to run fio multiple times with different blocksizes and have to keep in mind that it doesn't read/write zeros like the usual dd tests ;-)

TL;DR; that's why benchmarks are only useful if people understand how to compare them ...