Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 dedicated cores, 10 GB RAM, 40 GB SSD, 2TB@1 Gbit/s for 6€/month - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2 dedicated cores, 10 GB RAM, 40 GB SSD, 2TB@1 Gbit/s for 6€/month

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@poisson said:
    Oh, I just threw the plastic down several stories just to stop myself from ordering because I don't need another idling server..

I always tell myself I will need it eventually in the future... maybe next week, next month, next year or never lol

Thanked by 2eol poisson
  • eoleol Member

Think of it like this:
    One idle server more to impress the neighbours.

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • poissonpoisson Member
    edited March 2019

Or a pickup line at the next blind date:

"I don't have a Ferrari idling in my garage, but I have ten idling servers totalling 40 cores and 320GB ECC RAM AND 40TB storage. Don't even get me started on how much bandwidth I can serve."

• @poisson if you stack them up, 12vCpu, 120GB ram for 50.4 euro/mo. 😈

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@vimalware said:
    if you stack them up, 12vCpu, 120GB ram for 50.4 euro/mo. 😈

That's a lot cheaper than a Ferrari.

Plot Twist: Poisson actually has a Ferrari

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • eoleol Member

F40 Competizione <3

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • More ideas on what to run :
    Ingest and graph all metrics from your idle VPS https://www.percona.com/blog/2018/09/20/prometheus-2-times-series-storage-performance-analyses/

• @FAT32 said:

@vimalware said:
    if you stack them up, 12vCpu, 120GB ram for 50.4 euro/mo. 😈

That's a lot cheaper than a Ferrari.

Plot Twist: Poisson actually has a Ferrari

Plot Twists back: hosting company is sold with all it's clients, so owner can rent a Ferrari.

• How many days do they take to process the order. I placed an order on 24th and paid the invoice but still i have not got any details. I even raised a ticket with them but no reply from the company.

Thanks

• What is the bandwidth limit?

• @vicks1986 said:
    How many days do they take to process the order. I placed an order on 24th and paid the invoice but still i have not got any details. I even raised a ticket with them but no reply from the company.

Thanks

Servers are provisioned fairly fast, mine was setup in 30 mins. Make sure you have checked your "junk/spam folder". Their activation email went straight to my junk folder (hotmail).

Thanked by 2Ympker vimalware
  • I'm still waiting for revised invoice , but have not raised a ticket. Will let it boil down to luck.

• dataforestdataforest Member, Patron Provider

Hi everyone,

just a quick information: Invoices with removed VAT will be sent the next hours if you don't already have one, also all paid servers should be delivered today. Yesterday we just couldn't deliver all orders. I'm sorry for the delay, however as mentioned before removing VAT is a manual process (currently, new checkout is in progress) and also orders from outside Germany take a little bit more time in general, as the verification is more complicated (often due to misunderstandings as our checkout is in German and fields might be filled in wrongly - we contact you if there's something unclear). We do our very best to deliver your servers as fast as possible :heart:

We noticed that some people order several servers to get one "big" VM. Please don't do this as you will get x servers instead of one big as we then have x contracts & invoices in our order system. Please order one server and contact our support for individual upgrades; in general they are possible, however contacting our support is the right way for this :)

Best Regards & thanks for the great response,
    Tim

• ehabehab Member

@PHP_Friends no more offers or you will make big holes in our wallets.

Thanked by 2Ympker datanoise
    edited March 2019

FR_Michael said: Steal btw means nothing. There are enough ways to restrict cpu usage on kvm without raising the steal count . Not saying that php friends is doing that, they are around for a very long time in the german market and it is really nice to see other people who live of their business.

To be honest, I don't know how this should work. But we have also never looked into such options. As far as I know the steal time is not "fakeable".

@fpmagic said:
    There's nothing dedicated about this. ffs [..]

It's fine if you think so. It might even be that there's a big difference between the German and the international market regarding this topic. Dedicated cores like those offered by us and many other German providers are usable at any time. At least at our company we do some software and kernel tweaks to make this very efficient so that there's ~ no noticeable difference to a pinned physical core. At our nodes a virtual core in use will mostly stick to a physical core to achieve the best performance. That's our definition of a dedicated core and it's fine if you don't share this definition. We always tried to be innovative with our products and a few years ago, when SSDs were very expensive, we were one of the first providers (in Germany, don't know about the international market) using a SSD cache solution to really accelerate HDD storage making a VM cheaper and faster than renting the same disk size in bare metal. The thing with the dedicated cores is that (again: at least in Germany) many years ago virtual servers used to have a bad reputation regarding performance and functionality (I bet each of us has ever hit user_beancounters limits back in the days ^^). It was even worse before KVM etc. got bigger (and better). At this time, a virtual server was a very cheap and limited hosting solution, so for bigger projects you had to rent or buy a dedicated machine. You might remember that these virtual servers even had "guaranteed" and "flexible" RAM. Nowadays a KVM server is absolutely fine for professional use cases. If every provider handled CPU cores like we do, there would be no need to call them dedicated, but that's not the case. There are providers which sell KVM servers where you get 50% steal and a floppy similar disk performance. That's why we must point out that our KVM servers combine the advantages of virtual and dedicated servers and the dedicated CPU cores are a big point here. To clarify it: We were not the first provider handling CPU cores like this, but it was far away from being the default way when we started our products and it still is like pointed out before. After all, every provider with dedicated cores in this price segment does it like we do, maybe with more or less "magic" on the technical side, but in essence it is the same. Check your steal time and you will know if you get dedicated CPU resources or not. If your provider does not offer dedicated cores and you still have no steal, that's great, but it's not a guarantee and might change over time or on other nodes.

BTW: Of course this discussion will come back from time to time. But I really wonder why it's always about CPU because this is in general how (shared) hosting works and what makes it cheap for customers. No one would think that a webspace provider who gives 50 GB storage to each customer will assume that each customer really uses 50 GB. The same goes for network - do you really think Hetzner (or any other provider with dedicated gigabit ports) connects 30-40 servers to a switch and then connects the switch with 40 GBit/s? Of course they don't. They will make sure that you can always use 1 GBit/s and everything is fine. No need for a 100 TBit backbone :)

Best Regards,
    Tim

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

@PHP_Friends how about a smaller offer, like 1 Core + a few GB RAM?

• @PHP_Friends said:
    Hi everyone,

just a quick information: Invoices with removed VAT will be sent the next hours if you don't already have one, also all paid servers should be delivered today. Yesterday we just couldn't deliver all orders. I'm sorry for the delay, however as mentioned before removing VAT is a manual process (currently, new checkout is in progress) and also orders from outside Germany take a little bit more time in general, as the verification is more complicated (often due to misunderstandings as our checkout is in German and fields might be filled in wrongly - we contact you if there's something unclear). We do our very best to deliver your servers as fast as possible :heart:

We noticed that some people order several servers to get one "big" VM. Please don't do this as you will get x servers instead of one big as we then have x contracts & invoices in our order system. Please order one server and contact our support for individual upgrades; in general they are possible, however contacting our support is the right way for this :)

Best Regards & thanks for the great response,
    Tim

@PHP_Friends can you please look into my order as well Bill No. 35358. I am not sure whether i got any email from your side or not with login information. I checked my spam folder as well.

Thanks

• v3ng said: @PHP_Friends how about a smaller offer, like 1 Core + a few GB RAM?

Curious on what could be the pricing of such a 1 or 2GB RAM VPS...

• @v3ng said: how about a smaller offer, like 1 Core + a few GB RAM?

didn't you get their 12gb ram promo. say what you want clearly

• @needavps said:

@v3ng said: how about a smaller offer, like 1 Core + a few GB RAM?

didn't you get their 12gb ram promo. say what you want clearly

he needs to poop

@vicks1986 said:
    @PHP_Friends can you please look into my order as well Bill No. 35358. I am not sure whether i got any email from your side or not with login information. I checked my spam folder as well.

We have sent all new VAT-free invoices by now, however delivering further servers has been paused for a few hours as we ran out of IP addresses. We are waiting for our datacenter to announce our new /22. Configuration is done on our side (router, nameservers etc.), so once the announcement is made, we will start delivering servers again.

@datanoise said:

v3ng said: @PHP_Friends how about a smaller offer, like 1 Core + a few GB RAM?

In the next weeks there will be no new special offer. But maybe we are working on new products, who knows? :)

Best Regards,
    Tim

Thanked by 2Ympker datanoise
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@PHP_Friends said:

@vicks1986 said:

We have sent all new VAT-free invoices by now, however delivering further servers has been paused for a few hours as we ran out of IP addresses. We are waiting for our datacenter to announce our new /22. Configuration is done on our side (router, nameservers etc.), so once the announcement is made, we will start delivering servers again.

@datanoise said:

v3ng said: @PHP_Friends how about a smaller offer, like 1 Core + a few GB RAM?

In the next weeks there will be no new special offer. But maybe we are working on new products, who knows? :)

Best Regards,
    Tim

What if we want to upgrade this one? Ordered it, didn't receive it yet but I'd like to perhaps upgrade stuff at a later time, will it be discounted 50% as the last special? :D

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2019

To be honest, I don't know how this should work. But we have also never looked into such options. As far as I know the steal time is not "fakeable".

Limit the allocated cpu time for the qemu process, this will not raise the steal time inside the vps.
    Most reliable providers that offers vps with a limited amount of cpu shares per month will do it that way as it allows to dynamically allocate cpu time to the vps without the need to reboot it.
    I never used aws but I am pretty sure that they do it the same way and you won't see rising steal time when they begin to throttle your vps. Maybe someone that uses aws can confirm that?!

Fun fact: If you have high cpu usage on the node limiting the allocated cpu time will lower the steal time inside of the vps.
    Again, I am not saying that you are doing it and we are not doing it either but just wanted to figure out that steal time is not the best way to argue about dedicated cores.

We have delivered all paid servers :)

Thanked by 4ehab eol cybertech MikePT
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited March 2019

Thanks looks pretty neat. Now with twice the bragging rights idling @20GB DDR4 ECC

Which brought me thinking: would it be prudent to set swappiness to 0?

CPU model            : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz
    Number of cores      : 2
    CPU frequency        : 2399.996 MHz
    Total size of Disk   : 123.0 GB (1.9 GB Used)
    Total amount of Mem  : 20072 MB (136 MB Used)
    Total amount of Swap : 1023 MB (0 MB Used)
    System uptime        : 0 days, 0 hour 50 min
    Load average         : 0.00, 0.06, 0.11
    OS                   : CentOS 7.6.1810
    Arch                 : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel               : 5.0.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I/O speed(1st run)   : 194 MB/s
    I/O speed(2nd run)   : 250 MB/s
    I/O speed(3rd run)   : 243 MB/s
    Average I/O speed    : 229.0 MB/s
    Node Name                       IPv4 address            Download Speed
    CacheFly                        205.234.175.175         94.2MB/s
    Linode, Tokyo, JP               106.187.96.148          6.97MB/s
    Linode, Singapore, SG           139.162.23.4            5.57MB/s
    Linode, London, UK              176.58.107.39           49.5MB/s
    Linode, Frankfurt, DE           139.162.130.8           83.2MB/s
    Linode, Fremont, CA             50.116.14.9             3.98MB/s
    Softlayer, Dallas, TX           173.192.68.18           10.7MB/s
    Softlayer, Seattle, WA          67.228.112.250          3.84MB/s
    Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE        159.122.69.4            99.1MB/s
    Softlayer, Singapore, SG        119.81.28.170           8.44MB/s
    Softlayer, HongKong, CN         119.81.130.170          1.78MB/s
    Node Name                       IPv6 address            Download Speed
    Linode, Atlanta, GA             2600:3c02::4b           9.21MB/s
    Linode, Dallas, TX              2600:3c00::4b           12.7MB/s

Thanked by 2eol dataforest
  • eoleol Member

@cybertech said:
    Thanks looks pretty neat. Now with twice the bragging rights idling @20GB DDR4 ECC ...

Exemplary.
    Thanks for sharing.

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Put it into good use, run a Bloatlab instance on it.

• @Neoon said:

The only good use of power servers for honorable LET members is idling.

Thanked by 2eol nhocconan
  • eoleol Member

@Neoon said:
    Put it into good use...

I am speechless!

• eoleol Member

@poisson said:

@Neoon said:

The only good use of power servers for honorable LET members is idling.

This.