Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how to achieve 980Gbps ddos protection as a hoster
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how to achieve 980Gbps ddos protection as a hoster

Looking at Blazingfast's DDoS protection power, I would like to discuss possible means of achieving such uplink speed while keeping service cheap. What comes to mind first is a good partnership deals with several backbone providers, because one basically needs to rely on unmetered backbone in order to pass high volume ddos attacks. What kind of possible partnership schemes may it be? Please correct me if I am wrong on the entire point of view, but I am sure purchasing 980 Gbps transit is not something that a middle class VPS company would do and it requires some interested parties not only within your company. Consider it an open discussion.

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited November 2018

Money.

That's what makes everything tick. Spend enough and you can do anything U want.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

They resell Voxility.

Voxility tries to peer as many people as they can and get on as many IX's as they can.

Francisco

• @deank said:
    Money.

That's what makes everything tick. Spend enough and you can do anything U want

The end is neigh now that @deank gave one on-topic answer.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @deank said:
    Money.

That's what makes everything tick.

Not everything... :-(

Thanked by 1eol
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited November 2018

Money can bring WSS back.

That's everything for us. Who are "us"? The LET Prism rangers!

• Francisco said: They resell Voxility.

Voxility tries to peer as many people as they can and get on as many IX's as they can.

Francisco

No, they are not resell Voxility as far as I know for 2018, earlier yes, now - no.
    They dropped to use Voxility because Voxility network is a piece of shit with a lot of network loss, and issues in different peering points, which make the whole network unusable and sluggish. And this is not only with them such issue, with all providers, even with your provider too.

• Um, interesting question.

As well as

BuyVM offers a very affordable solution to protect your server from DDoS attacks. For just $3.00 per month (per IP) you can receive over 700,000,000 packets-per-second or 500gbit+/sec of DDoS protection.

Are you using Voxility too @Francisco ?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@dmtr said:
    Um, interesting question.

As well as

BuyVM offers a very affordable solution to protect your server from DDoS attacks. For just $3.00 per month (per IP) you can receive over 700,000,000 packets-per-second or 500gbit+/sec of DDoS protection.

Are you using Voxility too @Francisco ?

Yes we are!

I'm fairly sure we mention Voxility in the page itself.

Francisco

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

Voxility network is a piece of shit with a lot of network loss

Isn't that what they claim to do?

Thanked by 1pike
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Well they can claim. This is the ASN listed on their homepage:

https://bgp.he.net/AS60033#_asinfo

10/10 routing

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@FHR That's interesting. Probably using whoever they resells ASN.

• they resell hyperfilter/nforce but with an own setup from the hyperfilter guys.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@FHR said:
    Well they can claim. This is the ASN listed on their homepage:

https://bgp.he.net/AS60033#_asinfo

10/10 routing

https://bgp.he.net/search?search[search]=blazingfast&commit=Search

Damn lots of companies to get IP's.

https://bgp.he.net/AS49349

They seem to be announcing it in DotSI's ASN (a company from Portugal).

https://bgp.he.net/AS49349#_prefixes

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@lurkem said:
    they resell hyperfilter/nforce but with an own setup from the hyperfilter guys.

https://bgp.he.net/AS49349#_peers

Confirmed, I guess.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Get 900Gbit in total was uplink capacity, simple.

Or just pay someone, who has 900Gbit uplink capacity, to handle the load for you and pass the clean traffic down to your network.

Thanked by 2doughmanes gol3m
  • @deank said:
    The LET Prism rangers!

Reporting in!

kinda

Thanked by 3mfs eol jsg
  • Blazingfast_IOBlazingfast_IO Member, Host Rep

We do not have any relation to Hyperfilter and we do not resell/use protection from third parties.

• @Blazingfast_IO said:
    We do not have any relation to Hyperfilter and we do not resell/use protection from third parties.

Any informations about your DDoS Filter stuff?
    Somehow doubt, that you have more then 1Tbit/s transit

• Blazingfast_IO said: We do not have any relation to Hyperfilter and we do not resell/use protection from third parties.

But you guys use Voxtility.. which is a third party.

Thanked by 2eol doghouch
  • Foul said: But you guys use Voxtility.. which is a third party.

they don't, for long time. Earlier - yes, now - as far as I know - no.

• dedicatserver_rodedicatserver_ro Member, Host Rep

hi, you have to make a difference between marketing and truth.
    1. Anybody can claim 1TBs DDOS protection without proof, or only under certain conditions ( for example if is only a UDP attack can be easily countered-mitigate )
    2. If I have 1TB of bandwidth does not mean I can filter this 1TBs to
    3. most of the protection is effective at the router/switch port capacity of transfer and pps( Voxility have now 100G ports, but not in all location ), a 101Gbps attack on a 100Gbps port kills the port.
    4. See the bigger in the industrie : Akamai, Yahoo, Gifthub,OVH,CloudFlare......all of them were down on attacks smaller than 1Gbps, mostly under 500Gbps.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited December 2018

I lost interest when I saw 99.95% Uptime SLA. For a cheap LET provider that's fine but for a rather expensive provider bragging about almost 1 Tb, sorry no.

But I researched a bit anyway. To me it looks like an operation with a ukrainian background run from a Macau based company. My guess is that the portuguese provider was taken over and later they went to Amsterdam where the big boys play (in Europe, like also in Fra and Lon). Their connectivity seems to be largely through Cogent and they seem to be a not insignificant player mainly in the middle east market and funnily in Luxembourg.

What really drove the nail into the coffin for me was that they don't seem to like telling anything about their miraculous 1 Tb DDOS protection. Just compare that with a good and real player of similar size (in term of DDOS protection) like Serverius who even make small explanatory films about their solution. I understand that a company doesn't spill all the beans on details of its technology but blazingfast.io's MO seems to basically be "just trust us". Sorry no, I do not trust a secrete scheme from a presumably ukrainian group with a letter box office in Macau.

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited December 2018

@jsg, why so many hate in your message? And why so many accents on Ukrainians? What is wrong with you?

What about the host, I have used them for around 6 months for sure.
    Good hosting, good performance, but their network was not so good like I have for example with Vultr or ExtraVM, or I don't know KMS-hosting for example.

But network issues almost always happen because from the Voxility part.
    In all happened cases - voxility packet loss.
    And the same I can say about almost all providers what I have used which use Voxility network.
    All, no exceptions. This is not because provider good or bad, this is because Voxility - has constant issues with network.

What about Support - always brilliant, answers to all tickets in a very short period of time (minutes to hours).

Stability of VPSes and shared hosting - good too, no downtimes, or issues, except, again - Voxility network.

But I have used them a long time ago and moved all my files to another host with a much stable network.

What about DDoS protection - it was pretty good, not best, but a little bit more advanced than Voxility one.

What about current DDoS protection - I can say almost nothing.

What about 1TB DDoS protection - I don't believe it too.
    But that they physically did tank volumetric DDoS attacks - it's true.

@desperand said:
    @jsg, why so many hate in your message? And why so many accents on Ukrainians? What is wrong with you?

Hate? There is not hate against them. In fact I do not care at all about them. I merely said what I saw and guessed. If you like them, fine, enjoy their service.

As for the alledged dislike of ukrainian providers: Nope, wrong. It's the combination of ukrainians using or cooperating with a portuguese provider and all of it from a Macau letter box office. If it happened to be e.g. a turkish background using a danish provider I would have said the same.

Plus the secrecy around their DDOS protection.

• @jsg, ah, sorry, I did not saw your signature.
    Are you Russian, right? That explains your hate against Ukrainians.

edited December 2018

@desperand said:
    @jsg, ah, sorry, I did not saw your signature.
    Are you Russian, right? That explains your hate against Ukrainians.

You obviously did not even read my response.

Which part of "I have no hate against any nationality" did you fail to understand?

• @jsg said:
    Which part of "I have no hate against any nationality" did you fail to understand?

Probably that part where you hate Ukranians.

@Letzien said:

@jsg said:

Probably that part where you hate Ukranians.

It doesn't become true when that nonsense is repeated.

@jsg said:
    ... If it happened to be e.g. a turkish background using a danish provider I would have said the same.

Should be clear enough.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited December 2018

980Gbps? Why not 1Tbps?