Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner cloud additional volumes
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner cloud additional volumes

vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep
edited October 2018 in General

https://www.hetzner.com/news/10-18-cloud-volumes/?country=ot

We at Hetzner Online are excited to announce a free beta test for our new Hetzner Cloud block storage product, which is called "Volumes". You can participate in the month-long beta test for free, and use Volumes to scale up the storage on your Hetzner Cloud servers. For the beta test, you can use up to 10 Volumes and a maximum of 100 GB of storage for all your Volumes together.

Since each Hetzner Cloud server allows you to mount as many as five Volumes, this tool will allow you to quickly grow your storage by creating new Volumes within seconds.

When the free beta test is over, you'll continue to have access to your Volumes at our famously low prices: they will cost only €0.04/GB per month. So 100 GB will cost you a mere €4.00 a month. The minimum size will be 10 GB and the maximum is 10 TB. And since the tool allows you to adjust Volume sizes in 1 GB increments, you only buy the exact amount of storage that you need.

To scale up your Hetzner Cloud Server with flexible block storage, just go to console.hetzner.cloud!

We are looking forward to receiving your feedback, comments, and suggestions in our Discussion Forum and at [email protected].

Prices excl. VAT.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU model            : Intel Xeon Processor (Skylake, IBRS)
Number of cores      : 1
CPU frequency        : 2099.998 MHz
Total size of Disk   : 117.0 GB (9.2 GB Used)
Total amount of Mem  : 1945 MB (624 MB Used)
Total amount of Swap : 135 MB (53 MB Used)
System uptime        : 11 days, 17 hour 35 min
Load average         : 0.57, 0.88, 0.85
OS                   : Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
Arch                 : x86_64 (64 Bit)
Kernel               : 4.15.0-34-generic
I/O speed(1st run)   : 304 MB/s
I/O speed(2nd run)   : 178 MB/s
I/O speed(3rd run)   : 178 MB/s
Average I/O speed    : 220.0 MB/s

Good to see Hetzner keeping up improving their cloud product!

Thanked by 1wa44io4

Comments

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Hi vfuse, Thanks for posting the good news! You beat me to it! :) --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 1wa44io4
  • Go go go Katie! Awaiting private networking and load balancing features!

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    Hi vfuse, Thanks for posting the good news! You beat me to it! :) --Katie, Marketing

Hi Katie 😬

Here's a quick sneak preview:

--Katie, Marketing

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

100GB for 4EUR + VAT, new dimensions.
    Must be pure NVMe or is just spinning rust?

Thanked by 1dragon1993
  • @Hetzner_OL
    Hourly billing available after beta?

• Btw, for everyone considering persistance mountpoints, here's the line that you need to add in your /etc/fstab, so your Hetzner Volume gets mounted on your Hetzner Cloud VPS upon every reboot:

/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-0HC_Volume_123456 /local/mount/dir ext4 defaults 0 1

123456 = Replace with volume ID, as per instructions that you receive upon creation of the Hetzner volume
    /local/mount/dir = Replace with local directory that you want to have your Hetzner volume mounted to

• graphicgraphic Member
    edited October 2018

Hey guys,

tested a 100GB volume on a CX11-CEPH in Nuremberg running Windows Server 2016:

Thanked by 1wiggl3

dragon1993 said: Hourly billing available after beta?

It's a bit complicated. We calculate the gb-months a customer has used based on how long the volume was used. If I have a 100 GB volume and use it for 2 hours in a month that has 720 hours then I will be billed 100 * (2 / 720) ~= 0.27777 GB-months
    So the price is 0.27777 * 0.04€ (+VAT)

In theory this is accurate to the seconds. However due to rounding occuring in practice, it is not. This is the normal way that gb-months are calculated in storage offers (for example for Amazon S3). --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 1pike
  • @Hetzner_OL said:

dragon1993 said: Hourly billing available after beta?

It's a bit complicated. We calculate the gb-months a customer has used based on how long the volume was used. If I have a 100 GB volume and use it for 2 hours in a month that has 720 hours then I will be billed 100 * (2 / 720) ~= 0.27777 GB-months
    So the price is 0.27777 * 0.04€ (+VAT)

In theory this is accurate to the seconds. However due to rounding occuring in practice, it is not. This is the normal way that gb-months are calculated in storage offers (for example for Amazon S3). --Katie, Marketing

I dig it! Thanks for confirming that Katie! Can't wait to try it out eventually!

• 4.76€ for 100GB storage.. not bad if it's NVMe SSD storage and considering that the control panel pop-up claimed all files are saved 3 times in the storage system.

However, it's pricey compared to the HDD dedis they sell and scaleway (which is half the price, yet does not scale.. oh the irony).

• sibapersibaper Member
    edited October 2018

-

• @Hetzner_OL Option for slower but more cheaper HDD volumes later on?

• @Hetzner_OL are servers also billed in fractional hours? I had the impression that it was 1 hour increments, which is noticible in the case of short activations of the bigger servers.

0.04e/GB is pretty good for redundant SSD volumes: Digital Ocean charges $0.10/GB for something similar. I'm not sure if HDD volumes makes sense because of iops bottleneck. We'll see how it works out for BuyVM.

I like to imagine some kind of S3-like object store is in the works. Meanwhile you could NFS mount an auction dedi, or use StorageBox.

Scaleway is not comparable since its add-on SSD volumes have no redundancy. They are also on the slow side.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@willie said:
    @Hetzner_OL are servers also billed in fractional hours? I had the impression that it was 1 hour increments, which is noticible in the case of short activations of the bigger servers.

0.04e/GB is pretty good for redundant SSD volumes: Digital Ocean charges $0.10/GB for something similar. I'm not sure if HDD volumes makes sense because of iops bottleneck. We'll see how it works out for BuyVM.

I like to imagine some kind of S3-like object store is in the works. Meanwhile you could NFS mount an auction dedi, or use StorageBox.

Scaleway is not comparable since its add-on SSD volumes have no redundancy. They are also on the slow side.

We do Block storage attached with Triple replicating they are working great! There is nothing wrong with attached storage as they are using for data.

• @Hetzner_OL do you do spinning disk block storage?

@stefeman As always, we at Hetzner Online don't reveal what cards we have in our hand. So I won't tell you what features/improvements our dev team has in the works. But I can pass your suggestion on and get it added to the customer wishlist. I believe one or two other people have already requested this, so I'll add a +1 for you.

@willie No, we don't do fractional hours. We round up. A server that is used 1.5 hours, for example, will be billed for 2.

@lurch AFAIK this would be a kind of HDD-based storage. Our Volumes use SSD-based storage. But I can send this question/request on to the wishlist that I mentioned above.

--Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 2gol3m MikePT
  • gksgks Member

@Hetzner_OL,

Looks like now we have complete Hetzner Cloud.

Can I mount the storages in more than one Virtual Machine? I am looking for good alternative to store my Docker machine images, database data from MySQL, Cassandra, MongoDB, Kafka etc in this volume storages, then on need basis, I can bring up the Virtual Machines which can use these storages immediately.

Do you recommend to use this storage as Linux volume when it receive high volume IOs behind DBs?

• gks said: Do you recommend to use this storage as Linux volume when it receive high volume IOs behind DBs?

Based on the benchmark in the twitter post linked above, you will get better performance from local SSD if you don't need the redundancy. I'd be interested to know how the CEPH option these days compares with SSD block storage.

gks said: Can I mount the storages in more than one Virtual Machine?

If you mean more than one simultaneously, then almost certainly not, that's not how block storage works and you want NFS. If you mean move from one VM to another, I know that's possible at DO as long as it's within the same data center, so with any luck Hetzner is the same way.

• @Hetzner_OL does the regular storage space of a cloud VPS have the same redundancy as the additional volumes?

• @gol3m you can choose between local SSD (less redundancy but higher performance) or CEPH with the cloud VPS. CEPH should have similar redundancy as the volumes, unless I misinterpreted the description. I'd be interested to know how the performance compares.

Thanked by 1gol3m
  • @Hetzner_OL I do assume that this is a triple replication and files wont be lost at any case. Correct? thats why you dont offer a backup scenario for the volume storage (this might sound silly, but I had to ask)

Thanked by 1gol3m

@willie said:

gks said: Can I mount the storages in more than one Virtual Machine?

If you mean more than one simultaneously, then almost certainly not, that's not how block storage works and you want NFS. If you mean move from one VM to another, I know that's possible at DO as long as it's within the same data center, so with any luck Hetzner is the same way.

What @willie writes here is a good answer. No, the Volumes cannot go to multiple cloud servers simultaneously. Yes, you detach a Volume from one server and move it to a different one.

Thanked by 1gol3m

gks said: Do you recommend to use this storage as Linux volume when it receive high volume IOs behind DBs?

As a non-technician, I'm hesitant to give you advice on this question. You can either trust @willie here or write to our team via Cloud Console for their answer.

willie said: @gol3m you can choose between local SSD (less redundancy but higher performance) or CEPH with the cloud VPS. CEPH should have similar redundancy as the volumes, unless I misinterpreted the description.

Again, AFAIK, this is correct. You're killing it today, @willie

punkstar69 said: I do assume that this is a triple replication and files wont be lost at any case. Correct? thats why you dont offer a backup scenario for the volume storage (this might sound silly, but I had to ask)

We do save three copies. This makes data loss highly unlikely. However we cannot guarantee 100% data durability (in fact nobody can). So if you want to be 100% safe we recommand that you created your own backups. We do not currently offer a way of backing up your Volume. You can look for an external solution for this, or possibly try one of our storage boxes. --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 1gol3m
  • @Hetzner_OL said:

You can trust @willie

You're killing it today, @willie

Hire him already.

Thanked by 1gol3m
  • @Hetzner_OL said:
    No, the Volumes cannot go to multiple cloud servers simultaneously. Yes, you detach a Volume from one server and move it to a different one.

Its a pity. I imagined all my DEV / STAGING environments to share files for 1 minute.

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    Yes, you detach a Volume from one server and move it to a different one.

Does that include different locations? Create a volume in Finland and move it to Germany?

• gksgks Member

@willie, thanks for clarification. It helps.

I have other question but not related to Storage. Do you see any problem using Hetzner cloud for remote desktop ie installing Ubuntu 18.04, xfce GUI, XRDP with local SSD attached? I am paying a Hetzner dedi 4700 CPU, 32 GB RAM, I found that cloud VPS is faster than the dedi, also and 8 GB Cloud VPS would reduce my cost by 2/3.

• If it works with your dedi, I'd expect the cloud server should also work. That assumes the 8gb and 2 cores are enough for your applications. I've always found X remote desktops sucked horribly but my network connections are usually not that great. Yours might be better.

Thanked by 1gks
  • Try Thinlinc (It's free for upto 5 concurrent sessions), it's not perfect by any means but it's the one solution for remoting into a linux desktop (It's a terminal server) that's worked most consistently for me.

Thanked by 1gks