Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr $2.50 Plans (512MB) Restocked, IPv6 Only - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr $2.50 Plans (512MB) Restocked, IPv6 Only

Comments

• salakissalakis Member
    edited June 2018

I feel bad for Vultr support, they'll probably have to deal with quite a few tickets from frustrated users trying to SSH into their new $2.50 boxes...

In all seriousness, this small plan has always been a rather crappy marketing move and while I would somewhat praise their "courage" for pushing IPv6, let's face the fact that IPv6 is nowhere near where it should be at this point and I doubt that the mainstream VPS market is ready for an IPv6-only service.

It's not only about 3rd-world countries, my ISP in Korea doesn't provide any IPv6 connectivity at all nor have I seen a single network here that had IPv6 connectivity to this point. The presumably most popular router manufacturer in KR (ipTIME) doesn't have any IPv6 functionality in their firmware to this point and frankly, it's not like people keep an eye on router firmware updates anyways, I've seen hundreds of networks running obsolete exploitable firmware versions.

The situation isn't any different on my other home networks back in Europe. Basically no native IPv6 and no intention of any of the involved ISPs to change it due to a variety of reasons. UPC offered me a free "upgrade" from my current IPv4-only line to their infamous dual-stack lite IPv4-CGNAT+IPv6.

What about alternative approaches to IPv6?

6to4 / Teredo - Just plain awful in every possible way

6in4 - Doesn't work on CGNAT-IPv4-only connections, need to bother with dynamic IPv4, HE.net peering + GeoIP (need for dirty workarounds to make Netflix work, etc...), ...

SiXXS was hands down the best thing to get decent IPv6 connectivity and the fact that it's gone certainly made my life harder and I haven't been able to get IPv6 to networks where I used to have it before with a nice aiccu/AYIYA tunnel. I do believe that it was far too soon to end the project, but well, it happens.

Also, unlike @Clouvider, I have to admit that I wouldn't be willing to switch ISPs or accept higher prices or less flexible contracts. Eventually, other factors such as bandwidth, connection technology (xDSL/DOCSIS/FTTx) are more important and in many cases you won't find any reasonable IPv6 ISP at all.

Let's simply admit that except for us nerds noone gives a single damn about IPv6. Even the majority of the young, self-proclaimed generation of "digital natives" couldn't care less about something like IPv6 and this will be reflected in behavior and attitude of ISPs towards this issue. I did try talking to my ISPs (ranging from one-man companies to UPC/o2/DTAG/...) and in the best case I got a ColoCrossing-esque "Coming Soon", otherwise it was more like "Why would you need that?" or "Noone needs that".

Anyways, enough for my OT rant. I just doubt that it'll become the next big thing, but could be somewhat reasonable in combination with Cloudflare.
    It's good news for Vultr tho. They cannot be blamed for false advertising anymore, they legitimately have $2.50 boxes everywhere now. Also please, someone come up with an idea how we can finally move forward in terms of IPv6 connectivity.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2018

salakis said: my ISP in Korea doesn't provide any IPv6 connectivity at all

Korea also up until recently (or still?) relied heavily on the ancient insecure ActiveX plugin in browsers -- hence requiring old Internet Explorer only. It shouldn't be held as some gold standard of tech competence, far far far from it. :) If you look at Google's IPv6 statistics, in Japan 25% users already have IPv6, 33% in India, 26% in Malaysia. In Korea only 5% (which is actually still better than countries like China or Russia).

salakis said: They cannot be blamed for false advertising anymore, they legitimately have $2.50 boxes everywhere now.

They still don't mention on the pricing page that it's IPv6-only.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

Kinda sucks github doesn't support IPv6 :') can't even fetch my code from git :(

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Zerpy said:
    Kinda sucks github doesn't support IPv6 :') can't even fetch my code from git :(

Something to talk about with your Microsoft account manager /s

Thanked by 2Yura JohnMiller92
  • TionTion Member

IPv6 only sounds like a great DDOS protection.

• mkshmksh Member

@Tion said:

Lol, true. Zombies can't flood what they can't reach.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited June 2018

Yeah, IPv6-only probably counts as a case of security by obscurity, who would have thought ...

I wonder how many forced-entry attempts there are on port 22 on a IPv6-only VPS.

Vultr's move is bold and it may be trend-setting.

• Clouvider said: Say goodbye to your ISP instead in that case :-).

mmmm, we only have 4 isp and no ones have ipv6 for end user yet.

so i must shut down pc and go to live in mountains.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited June 2018

Clouvider said: For example, when I move, I tend to choose a provider who can provide me with a /29 v4 + native v6, at least a /64 routed, even if it costs a little bit more or has a less flexible contract,

like 2000 USD here... per month

• @Clouvider said:

@Zerpy said:

Something to talk about with your Microsoft account manager /s

Holy shit lol great post

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Tion said:

In the past few years this has sadly changed :-(

@dedicados said:

Clouvider said: For example, when I move, I tend to choose a provider who can provide me with a /29 v4 + native v6, at least a /64 routed, even if it costs a little bit more or has a less flexible contract,

like 2000 USD here... per month

:-(

• Update: Vultr's 512MB "sandbox" plan with IPv4 is now more cheaply available for $3.50 per month or $0.005 per hour.

The new $3.50 plan is available for all locations, at least at the time of this posting.

Thanked by 2sibaper angstrom
  • except tokyo which out of stock.

I'm sure this is because of Amazon Lightsail

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
    edited August 2018

@pullangcubo said:
    Update: Vultr's 512MB "sandbox" plan with IPv4 is now more cheaply available for $3.50 per month or $0.005 per hour.

The new $3.50 plan is available for all locations, at least at the time of this posting.

Ah, so this is in addition to the $2.50/m IPv6-only plan. Seems like a good move on their part, the new $3.50/m with-IPv4 plan being more sustainable.

@sibaper said:
    except tokyo which out of stock.

How would Lightsail influence this? Aren't AWS and Vultr independent of each other?

• @angstrom said:

@sibaper said:

How would Lightsail influence this? Aren't AWS and Vultr independent of each other?

I think because AWS Lightsail lower their pricing. same price, but available on all of VULTR location, instead 2 or 3 from last I remmember.

• williewillie Member
    edited August 2018

If I want to pay $2.50 for an ipv6 plan then I'll get it at LowEndSpirit. There it's also $2.50 (depending on specs), but it's per YEAR.

The Lightsail comment is because AWS Lightsail (a competitor in this space) just cut its prices so the claim is Vultr responded with its own adjustment. I don't know enough about Lightsail to say I agree with this, but it sounds plausible.

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92
  • come on digitalocean, do your part. counter this. $3.50 !!

• LeeLee Veteran

Can't see Digital Ocean try to compete at this level, $5 is their minimum. Linode may.

@sibaper said:

@angstrom said:

@sibaper said:

I think because AWS Lightsail lower their pricing. same price, but available on all of VULTR location, instead 2 or 3 from last I remmember.

Oh, I understood your original comment to mean that Tokyo is out of stock because of Lightsail, which didn't make much sense to me.

That this new plan by Vultr is motivated by the new Lightsail pricing seems very plausible to me (which is what you meant).

@willie said:
    If I want to pay $2.50 for an ipv6 plan then I'll get it at LowEndSpirit. There it's also $2.50 (depending on specs), but it's per YEAR.

Yeah, sure, but Vultr's $2.50/m plan has better specs and is KVM.

@willie said: The Lightsail comment is because AWS Lightsail (a competitor in this space) just cut its prices so the claim is Vultr responded with its own adjustment. I don't know enough about Lightsail to say I agree with this, but it sounds plausible.

I had misunderstood @sibaper's comment -- see just above.

@angstrom said:

@willie said:

Yeah, sure, but Vultr's $2.50/m plan has better specs and is KVM.

But I agree that the $2.50/m plan is less interesting in light of the $3.50/m plan.

• Doesn't matter, can't beat my OVH SG discovery $5 for 2gb 2core 40gb

• @NanoG6 said:
    Doesn't matter, can't beat my OVH SG discovery $5 for 2gb 2core 40gb

are they always out of stock?

• @creep said:

@NanoG6 said:
    Doesn't matter, can't beat my OVH SG discovery $5 for 2gb 2core 40gb

are they always out of stock?

Yeah it won't be restocked (soon). It was discovery offer to fill up the node. I'm glad to have and upgrade it while it can

• It's a new plan, not restocked. The old instance has IPv4.

All things considered, the end-effect is that Vultr raises the price of their old $2.50/m plan to $3.50/m, but at first glance it looks like they're introducing a new $3.50/m plan. Anyway ...

Thanked by 3dfmcvn rm_ willie
  • LeeLee Veteran

Whichever way you look at it $3.50 is still a good price for the plan, not much to complain about really.

• With IPv4 by default