Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage Server Performance?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage Server Performance?

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

How important is performance of a storage server? Or rather... what is expected from a storage server with respect to performance?

And I'm thinking about this from th efollowing angles, CPU, Network and Disk IO.

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

100MB/sec should be good enough, depends mostly on the port, if you offer backup servers with 1Gbit port, I would want to see at least speeds with 125MB/sec to max it if needed.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited July 2018

I prefer no limits, even if it ends up with 35 MB/s read speeds. If you can truely provide system where users share equally the hardware without limits, I would buy one.

On good times it could be performance beyond my pay range, but on peak times its of course slower.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Neoon said: 100MB/sec should be good enough

I would have that thought that would be overkill. Certainly not a minimum requirement.

Im looking at putting a bunch of older gear and HDDs together and use it for storage VPS. But these boxes do not have 10G NICs, which would limit the throughput of the storage network.

I could run the disks locally to the machine, but I wanted these configured in HA, and in the absence of a 10G network, it would have to run on 1G, which means all storage for the entire node would be 125MB/s max.

• TriJetScudTriJetScud Member
    edited July 2018

10G Switches are cheap nowadays. If you know where to look, a basic 10G switch can be had for less than $200 or so.

Edit: Never mind about the $200 price range, seems like eBay sellers are selling them anywhere between the $300 to $800 range now those switches aren't being flooded on the market.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@TriJetScud said:
    10G Switches are cheap nowadays. If you know where to look, a basic 10G switch can be had for less than $200 or so.

Edit: Never mind about the $200 price range, seems like eBay sellers are selling them anywhere between the $300 to $800 range now those switches aren't being flooded on the market.

It's not just the switches. NICs and cables also required. It's not a massive investment but seems unnecessary for remote storage.