Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hey Jarland/DO people, image request!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hey Jarland/DO people, image request!

jlayjlay Member
edited January 2018 in Providers

Update your Fedora 27 image please! Can't Ansible my new servers because there's no python2 :(

```[jlay@desktop webservers]$ ansible -i inv all -m shell -a 'whoami'
159.89.150.255 | FAILED! => {
"changed": false,
"module_stderr": "Shared connection to 159.89.150.255 closed.\r\n",
"module_stdout": "/bin/sh: /usr/bin/python: No such file or directory\r\n",
"msg": "MODULE FAILURE",
"rc": 0
}
[...]
[jlay@desktop webservers]$

On Fedora 27 this is a symlink provided by `python2` and even modern versions of Ansible require it: ```[jlay@desktop webservers]$ dnf whatprovides `which python` Last metadata expiration check: 2:39:46 ago on Wed 24 Jan 2018 02:54:20 PM CST. python2-2.7.14-6.fc27.x86_64 : An interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming [...] [jlay@desktop webservers]$ ansible --version ansible 2.4.2.0 config file = /home/jlay/ansible/webservers/ansible.cfg configured module search path = [u'/home/jlay/.ansible/plugins/modules', u'/usr/share/ansible/plugins/modules'] ansible python module location = /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ansible executable location = /usr/bin/ansible python version = 2.7.14 (default, Jan 17 2018, 14:28:32) [GCC 7.2.1 20170915 (Red Hat 7.2.1-2)] [jlay@desktop webservers]$

For now I'm just going to use cloud-init, but this might make other users lives easier!

Edit: It may seem heavy handed to address this by adding it to the default image, but consider that upstream Fedora is not considering removing python2 until at least F33. Even then, they're expecting the SIG to continue maintenance for some time:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FinalizingFedoraSwitchtoPython3#Phase_3:_Maybe_get_rid_of_Python_2

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jlay said: Update your Fedora 27 image please! Can't Ansible my new servers because there's no python2 :(

That's the root of your problem.

• welcome to digital ocean support forum

Thanked by 2klikli bap
  • kasslekassle Member
    edited January 2018

why @jarland ? why he is so popular even when the admin already changed

• @kassle said:
    why @jarland ? why he is so popular even when the admin already changed

He works at DO. And I mean, he's jarland :D

Thanked by 1kassle
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'll run it by Ben and see what he thinks, thanks :)

Thanked by 1JackH
  • @jlay try to run ansible using python3, here is the guideline from ansible
    http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/python_3_support.html

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Why not use CentOS? Much better choice for servers.

• MagicalTrainMagicalTrain Member
    edited January 2018

You do know you can install python WITH ansible as the first thing to do on a new server?

For example on ubuntu:

- hosts: all
      gather_facts: False

tasks:
      - name: install python 2
    raw: test -e /usr/bin/python || (apt -y update && apt install -y python-minimal)

Then, afterwards you can setup:.

Thanked by 1jlay
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

MagicalTrain said: You do know you can install python WITH ansible as the first thing to do on a new server?

Interesting...I always thought a working python on the target was a requirement for ansible. Thanks!

@jlay I talked to Ben about it. He says it's not something we've specifically done for our image and relates to upstream.

More my words than someone else's: We're trying to keep things fairly vanilla these days, using cloud images where provided by distros (like Ubuntu does) but otherwise sticking to pretty much standard images as much as possible. One idea being that you should be able to have a fairly consistent experience across cloud providers, allowing for consistent planning and implementations, at least where other cloud providers are sticking to the same idea.

There will be some differences in server images from desktop ones as well, where that is relevant. I'm not certain if that is relevant here, as I don't use Fedora, but seemed worth mentioning.

• sinsin Member

I'm surprised DO doesn't have custom ISOs by now.

@sin said:
    I'm surprised DO doesn't have custom ISOs by now.

It's not for lack of awareness of the request or even internal desire to offer it, for what it's worth. My main concern is that we use cloud-init and not DHCP, and we all know from recent "no support" offers on LET that you can't say "you're on your own with this" to prevent tickets. It would have to be very well planned and executed.

Thanked by 2bap Aidan
  • bapbap Member

should we ask DO to move the ticket system to LET?

https://digitalocean.uservoice.com/forums/136585-digitalocean

• jlayjlay Member
    edited January 2018

Whoa, a lot more traction on this than I expected! Thanks for the info @Jarland. Haven't talked to you much since the HG days and I left Rackspace! Hope DO is treating you well, I found a better home.

I'm curious how python2 disappeared - a friend of mine is fairly tightly involved with Fedora and thought this odd too. No worries, the solution @MagicalTrain provided looks like a good middle ground. I'll likely dig through images and see if I can find what's going on and try to get it fixed upstream then. Probably some obsession to remove all possible bytes from images :p

As for why Fedora on a server... I like to use it as DNF handles packages a bit better than yum (it's a bit more than just a new name). Additionally, the packages are newer (eg: kernel) and with that comes some good stuff.

Servers regardless of distribution (within reason) don't tend to break on their own because of software - it's usually something else that contributes (poor management/deployment for example). Fedora isn't inherently any less stable or poorly suited than anything else - a lot of validation and testing goes into it and there's a regular release schedule. It's basically an iteration of the next version of RHEL/CentOS. Would I use it on a mission critical production system? No, but that's not because of Fedora itself. It's because I don't really have a vendor escalation path (I'd rather use RHEL in that case).