Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lots of cloud for little money. Hetzner Online redefines cloud hosting. - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lots of cloud for little money. Hetzner Online redefines cloud hosting.

Comments

• @Lee said:
    Is NetCup using NVME or their standard SSD for this?

Pretty sure if they used NVME they would write it somewhere clearly visible.

• (Updated. :-) )

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the four smallest VPS plans offered by Hetzner and netcup (the prices include German VAT):

Hetzner CX11                     netcup VPS 200 G8
    CPU: Intel Skylake Xeon          CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2680V4
    1 vCPU                           1 vCPU
    2 GB RAM                         2 GB RAM
    20 GB NVMe SSD                   20 GB SSD
    20 TB Traffic                    40 TB Traffic
    €2.98/month                      €2.69/month
    €0.005/hour                      €0.004/hour

Hetzner CX21                     netcup VPS 500 G8
    2 vCPU                           2 vCPU
    4 GB RAM                         4 GB RAM
    40 GB NVMe SSD                   40 GB SSD
    €5.88/month                      €5.29/month
    €0.010/hour                      €0.007/hour

Hetzner CX31                     netcup VPS 1000 G8
    2 vCPU                           4 vCPU
    8 GB RAM                         8 GB RAM
    80 GB NVMe SSD                   80 GB SSD
    €10.68/month                     €9.49/month
    €0.017/hour                      €0.013/hour

Hetzner CX41                     netcup VPS 2000 G8
    4 vCPU                           8 vCPU
    16 GB RAM                        16 GB RAM
    160 GB NVMe SSD                  160 GB SSD
    20 TB Traffic                    80 TB Traffic
    €19.08/month                     €18.49/month
    €0.031/hour                      €0.025/hour

Thanked by 4Aidan Ympker uptime ferri
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@aFriend said:
    Does anyone know if I can run a separate lxc container and give it externally accessible floating ip? What gateway IP to assign to guest/lxc and which MAC address to use? OVH (and i think hetzner if I remember) dedis both allow you to creae a virtual mac address in the portal.
    The faq did not seem to explain this.

Could you please open a support ticket regarding this? Our technicians will be able to respond to this in more detail and more quickly than I can. --Katie, Marketing

edited January 2018

@willie said:
    Anyway, Hetzner must know that this is disruptive pricing, at least at the higher end. @Hetzner_OL, it would be great if you can share anything you're allowed to, about Hetzner's general vision for the product. Not roadmap details (presumably still confidential) but more like the intended market position, who you see as your main competitors, etc. The only other hourly service priced anything like this is Scaleway, which is completely disorganized.

Thanks for your kind comments about Hetzner Cloud. We really appreciate them. I think you probably know by now, though, that that we tend to not publish information like this. ;)

@MarshalChe said:
    Dear @Hetzner_OL, while my ID is being verified can you please tell me can i buy additional cores / RAM / SSD like you can sell the bandwidth or there is a strict binding to tariffs?

Thanks for your order! Please see: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/CloudServer/en#Is_there_any_way_to_get_a_custom_configuration.3F --Katie, Marketing

• @Hetzner_OL said:

@willie said:
    Anyway, Hetzner must know that this is disruptive pricing, at least at the higher end. @Hetzner_OL, it would be great if you can share anything you're allowed to, about Hetzner's general vision for the product. Not roadmap details (presumably still confidential) but more like the intended market position, who you see as your main competitors, etc. The only other hourly service priced anything like this is Scaleway, which is completely disorganized.

Thanks for your kind comments about Hetzner Cloud. We really appreciate them. I think you probably know by now, though, that that we tend to not publish information like this. ;)

@Hetzner_OL: You should separate your comment from what you're quoting by a blank line. :-)

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • levnodelevnode Member
    edited January 2018

angstrom said: @tarasis is right. Yesterday it was €2.96/month (not hour) including German VAT. Today it's €3.06/month including German VAT. The price rose slightly.

For me, it's still 2.49 EUR without VAT???I don't have to pay VAT.

• It looks like Hetzner has at least two host node configurations running:

• 2.1GHz shown in VM: 2.1GHz base frequency, 3.7 turbo frequency CPU
    • 2.2GHz shown in VM: 2.2GHz base frequency, 3.2/3.0 turbo frequency CPU

The 2.2GHz version performs only at around 75% of the 2.1GHz version (= 25% performance loss).

This is guesswork based on Geekbench 4 and Intel ARK.

Thanked by 1willie
  • fLoofLoo Member
    edited January 2018

@Hetzner_OL Will Hetzner increase Traffic on more expensive VPS packages? Like DO/VULTR/NC etc?

@MikePT said:
    Could you please clarify the limits on CPU usage? This has been asked for a few times.

If you (and others) are asking about CPU usage for reasons related to crypto currencies, please see: https://www.hetzner.com/rechtliches/cloud-server/ --Katie, Marketing

edited January 2018

@pike said:
    PS: please bring back cheap i7 dedis to your auction, I miss browsing them.

I commented on this recently on another thread. This is simply a situation of too much demand. We will put up more of the cheaper models on server auction asap. --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 1pike
    edited January 2018

@lurch said:
    Can you order a NVME instance and add extra attached ceph storage?

Please see: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/CloudServer/en#Is_there_any_way_to_get_a_custom_configuration.3F --Katie, Marketing

• eDonkey? Wow that takes me back a decade or more :)

Thanked by 2Aidan jaypeesmith
  • Well, I'm pleased to see the movements in the market (netcup) but we have anyway to thank @Hetzner_OL both for their new offers and for pushing the competition.

And I'm sure that we will soon find differentiators (like ceph and certainly others) so all of them (well, the ones following the flow...) will have their slice of the cake.

And, NO, I'm not in any relationship with Hetzner; in fact I do not even have a vps (or dedi) with them. That might soon change, though, because it looks like I'll need a replacement for a (otherwise nice) vps with a certain company that seems to be focused too much and since too long on a panel and too little on customer contact, email responding, etc...

• pikepike Veteran
    edited January 2018

@Hetzner_OL said:

@pike said:
    PS: please bring back cheap i7 dedis to your auction, I miss browsing them.

>

I commented on this recently on another thread. This is simply a situation of too much demand. We will put up more of the cheaper models on server auction asap. --Katie, Marketing

Thank you for this, I know that shitcoin miners grab any cheap box they can get... and I'm waiting for the point where those coins loose their value and all the servers return to the auction.

@lurch this was a kind way of saying no lol

@erkin said:
    Seems so nice but will their pricing policy continue like that or are these only promotional prices?

These are not promotional prices. --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 6Lee pike Aidan mfs willie ucxo
  • eDonkey!!!, Oh the memories!.

"The use of filesharing tools". Does that mean RUTORRENT is not allowed?.

edited January 2018

@Ympker said:
    @Hetzner_OL Do you also do phone verifications for german customers?

Sometimes. Usually only as a last resort. We usually request official documentation first. --Katie, Marketing

@Aluminat said:
    And here we go, account is disabled again without any notice via email/sms.

If you have an order number or ticket number, I can try to look into it. --Katie, Marketing

• @ws_hcloud said:

@sureiam said:
    Can you retain snapshots while deleting a VPS and reload the VPS later from the snapshot? Hence only paying for hourly VPS usage and Snapshot storage?

That's one of the ideas behind the snapshots feature, yes.

Oh man that's awesome. Can you schedule it?

edited January 2018

@levnode said:
    @Hetzner_OL: What is the CPU usage policy?

If you're asking because of cypto currency usage, please see: https://www.hetzner.com/rechtliches/cloud-server/ --Katie, Marketing

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Hetzner_OL said: @levnode said: @Hetzner_OL: What is the CPU usage policy? If you're asking because of cypto currency usage, please see: https://www.hetzner.com/rechtliches/cloud-server/ --Katie, Marketing

You messed the quote

@southy said:
    I haven't had an active contract since two years or so and it seems they don't want me any more.

In situations where the account has been inactive for awhile, our team may ask you to start a new account. This is meant to prevent fraud or abuse. Please start a new account, and thank you for your understanding. --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 1pike

@fLoo said:
    @Hetzner_OL Will Hetzner increase Traffic on more expensive VPS packages? Like DO/VULTR/NC etc?

I'm not sure about that. I know you're not really asking about new features/functions, but I think the official answer would be very similar to this one: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/CloudServer/en#Do_you_plan_to_add_x_feature.3F.2FWill_you_add_more_features.3F --Katie, Marketing

• pikepike Veteran
    edited January 2018

@Hetzner_OL said:
    In situations where the account has been inactive for awhile, our team may ask you to start a new account. This is meant to prevent fraud or abuse. Please start a new account, and thank you for your understanding. --Katie, Marketing

I experienced the same and I think this is fine but you should inform the client about this (at best upon deletion of the last active service).

Really nice to have an active hetzner rep on LET now ^^

@fLoo you can always use more than 20TB and pay 1€/TB for the additional traffic.

Thanked by 1fLoo
    edited January 2018

@pike said:
    I experienced the same and I think this is fine but you should inform the client about this (at best upon deletion of the last active service).

I'll pass that comment onto our accounting department.

Really nice to have an active hetzner rep on LET now ^^

Thanks. Sorry for the typos and short responses in the last two day. And thanks to all of you LET readers who have been sharing information and giving us valuable feedback. --Katie, Marketing

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited January 2018

@Hetzner_OL said:

@MikePT said:
    Could you please clarify the limits on CPU usage? This has been asked for a few times.

If you (and others) are asking about CPU usage for reasons related to crypto currencies, please see: https://www.hetzner.com/rechtliches/cloud-server/ --Katie, Marketing

that link wasn't there yesterday for sure, I definitely checked all of it ;-)

maybe sending out a mail to your customers regarding changes of legal terms would be a not so bad idea, don't you think? :-D :-D :-D

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Falzo said: that link wasn't there yesterday for sure, I definitely checked all of it ;-)

I swear that link had 10 min ago , someone removed it just now

" The use of file sharing tools e.g. eDonkey "

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @hostdare said:

Falzo said: that link wasn't there yesterday for sure, I definitely checked all of it ;-)

I swear that link had 10 min ago , someone removed it just now

" The use of file sharing tools e.g. eDonkey "

yes exactly... so interesting enough, torrenting is no longer strictly forbidden then? (illegal content of course still is by the law)