Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lots of cloud for little money. Hetzner Online redefines cloud hosting. - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lots of cloud for little money. Hetzner Online redefines cloud hosting.

Comments

• @angstrom said:

Have to give netcup credit for a very quick reaction time. They probably didn't sleep much last night.

Indeed and apart from everything Hetzner's entering this market changes all the dynamics and gives a momentum to the long stalling market.

• @ManofServer said:
    But can it run Windows?

As of now no it cannot. Even no custom isos.

• Well, 40T of traffic on Eur 2.7 vps? Are all of us are in the bandwidth inflation period?

• @angstrom said:

@angstrom said:

@erkin said:

@ZweiTiger said:
    Well.. netcup. Well done!

https://www.netcup.de/vserver/vps.php

Hourly VPS is ready!

Maybe because of hetzner cloud? What do you think guys?

Competition doesn't stop.

Have to give netcup credit for a very quick reaction time. They probably didn't sleep much last night.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the smallest VPS plan offered by Hetzner and netcup:

Hetzner CX11          netcup VPS 200 G8
    1 vCPU                1 vCPU
    2 GB RAM              2 GB RAM
    20 GB Disk            20 GB Disk
    20 TB Traffic         40 TB Traffic
    €3.06/month           €2.69/month
    €0.005/hour           €0.004/hour

(I could swear that the Hetzer plan was under €3 yesterday.)

For me at least, netcup beats Hetzner, not to mention that netcup allows customs ISOs and probably has a nicer panel.

Netcup also has snapshots included I think :P

CPU of netcup used is Intel E5-2680v4. You might wanna add Hetzner and Netcup CPU :P

• @angstrom said:
    Here's a side-by-side comparison of the smallest VPS plan offered by Hetzner and netcup:

Yes, was not it 2.60 yesterday?

• @erkin said:

@angstrom said:

Yes, was not it 2.60 yesterday?

Pretty sure it was below 3€, yes. But that was without VAT perhaps?

• AidanAidan Member
    edited January 2018

angstrom said: could swear that the Hetzer plan was under €3 yesterday

It still is, you're paying VAT.

• tarasistarasis Member
    edited January 2018

For me its €2.96 an month inc 19% VAT at Hetzner (edit change hour to month, oops)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @tarasis said:
    For me its €2.96 an hour inc 19% VAT at Hetzner

@tarasis is right. Yesterday it was €2.96/month (not hour) including German VAT. Today it's €3.06/month including German VAT. The price rose slightly.

• hiphiphip0 said:

Does Hetzner have add fund like other cloud providers? I'm still waiting for verification.

Normally they autobill your credit card at the start of each month. If you want to add funds, you can open a ticket saying how much you want to add, and they charge that amount to your card. I did that when my card was about to expire and I anticipated some hassle getting the replacement one.

Oh hmm, I see now, you may be asking whether you're required to add funds up front. I don't think you are. I wasn't required to, though that might be because I already had an account with active services. But most other hosts these days don't require it. OVH stopped requiring it as long as you have a card on file with them.

• @Aidan said:

angstrom said: could swear that the Hetzer plan was under €3 yesterday

It still is, you're paying VAT.

No, the hourly price is now €0.005. Yesterday it was €0.004/hour, as your PNG shows.

• AidanAidan Member
    edited January 2018

No, the hourly price is now €0.005. Yesterday it was €0.004/hour, as your PNG shows.

I just took that screenshot 5 minutes ago... It's still billing me €0.004/hour, both on existing servers & newly deployed ones.

99% sure it's related to VAT: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Payment_FAQ/en#How_much_VAT_do_I_need_to_pay.3F

• tarasistarasis Member
    edited January 2018

@angstrom said:

@tarasis said:
    For me its €2.96 an hour inc 19% VAT at Hetzner

@tarasis is right. Yesterday it was €2.96/month (not hour) including German VAT. Today it's €3.06/month including German VAT. The price rose slightly.

Oops on the month/hour.

I still see €2.96 when I go to add a new server, so I'm curious why you have €3.06
    (Prices I see are €2.96, €5.83, €10.59, €18.92, €35.58, all with German VAT)

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited January 2018

it's the VAT difference https://www.hetzner.com/cloud.

I get 4hrs 59mins usage for my 0.02 euros.

I took a snapshot after pulling in seafile docker image of 850 odd MBs and it compressed to 0.93 GB snapshot. (comes to 0.01 eur/mo to. retain)

They might be doing deduplication against the base image too : Win for the end user.

• @Aidan said:

I just took that screenshot 5 minutes ago... It's still billing me €0.004/hour, both on existing servers & newly deployed ones.

99% sure it's related to VAT: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Payment_FAQ/en#How_much_VAT_do_I_need_to_pay.3F

You're right. The Hetzner web page tries to be smart and adjusts the prices according to the viewer's location.

Thanked by 2Aidan Hetzner_OL
  • tarasis said: (Prices I see are €2.96, €5.83, €10.59, €18.92, €35.58, all with German VAT)

Are you in Germany? The VAT varies across EU countries and the prices shown likely reflect that, as they do for Hetzner dedis.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

ZweiTiger said: Well.. netcup. Well done!

I noticed the G8 series yesterday as well, almost as soon as the Hetzner offer come out. If the same G8 series will be extended to the root series, I will have to feel sorry for my pocket. I haven't found details about the "Generation 8" on their site, maybe some netcup forum lurker knows more details

angstrom said: (I could swear that the Hetzer plan was under €3 yesterday.)

It still is, € 2.49 on CX11. You're probably considering the price with VAT included (23% in your country)

On the other side, the netcup product includes German VAT (19%)

So, if you were to compare them directly, CX11 = € 2.49, netcup = € 2.26

Crab said: a limitation of 10 VPSes

I'm trying to limit myself to two, and I don't even need them (I'm definitively moving something over there pretty soon anyway)

• @Ympker said: CPU of netcup used is Intel E5-2680v4. You might wanna add Hetzner and Netcup CPU :P

I would if this information were readily available/displayed. The CPU isn't so obvious (unless I've missed something).

• @willie said:

tarasis said: (Prices I see are €2.96, €5.83, €10.59, €18.92, €35.58, all with German VAT)

Are you in Germany? The VAT varies across EU countries and the prices shown likely reflect that, as they do for Hetzner dedis.

See my post above. (Hetzner's web page tries to adjust prices according to the viewer's location. My bad.)

• @ZweiTiger said:
    Well.. netcup. Well done!

https://www.netcup.de/vserver/vps.php

Hourly VPS is ready!

Maybe because of hetzner cloud? What do you think guys?

Wow. I mean, Hetzner had a beta, so you could have seen this coming, but still: impressive reaction. Wow.

• @mfs said:

ZweiTiger said: Well.. netcup. Well done!

I noticed the G8 series yesterday as well, almost as soon as the Hetzner offer come out. If the same G8 series will be extended to the root series, I will have to feel sorry for my pocket. I haven't found details about the "Generation 8" on their site, maybe some netcup forum lurker knows more details

angstrom said: (I could swear that the Hetzer plan was under €3 yesterday.)

It still is, € 2.49 on CX11. You're probably considering the price with VAT included (23% in your country)

On the other side, the netcup product includes German VAT (19%)

So, if you were to compare them directly, CX11 = € 2.49, netcup = € 2.26

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. I've corrected my side-by-side comparison on the previous page above.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

angstrom said: See my post above. (Hetzner's web page tries to adjust prices according to the viewer's location. My bad.)

Yeah, their site is showing 2.49 eur for the lowest spec, but in my control panel it's 2.99.

2.49 + 20% = 2.988.

So base price must be 2.49/0.004 hourly and the relevant VAT added on top.

• XeiXei Member

Does it allow you to choose data center? Between the two cities is one better routed/peered with the Netherlands?

• @angstrom said:

@Ympker said: CPU of netcup used is Intel E5-2680v4. You might wanna add Hetzner and Netcup CPU :P

I would if this information were readily available/displayed. The CPU isn't so obvious (unless I've missed something).

Well Hetzner stated the CPU I mentioned (atleast they use it for the vps atm). Hetzner said Skylake CPU @ 2,1 Ghz. You might still add this ;P

@mfs Netcup said that Generation 8 for their roots is being delayed due to spectre/meltdown and they are either gonna wait for brand new intel cpus which are fixed or hope for a price drop from intel cpus so they can make even better offers.

Thanked by 1mfs
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@Xei said:
    Does it allow you to choose data center? Between the two cities is one better routed/peered with the Netherlands?

Yeah, Falkenstein or Nuremberg

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL

• Great. At first it was "temporarily deactivated because of too many logins", now this. Even though I re-set a new password. I haven't had an active contract since two years or so and it seems they don't want me any more.

• @willie said:

hiphiphip0 said:

Does Hetzner have add fund like other cloud providers? I'm still waiting for verification.

Normally they autobill your credit card at the start of each month. If you want to add funds, you can open a ticket saying how much you want to add, and they charge that amount to your card. I did that when my card was about to expire and I anticipated some hassle getting the replacement one.

Oh hmm, I see now, you may be asking whether you're required to add funds up front. I don't think you are. I wasn't required to, though that might be because I already had an account with active services. But most other hosts these days don't require it. OVH stopped requiring it as long as you have a card on file with them.

Thanks for replying! That's not my concern, in fact I like add fund first :) , because in that way I could use paypal through unionpay card. Credit card always have all kinds of limitation in china.

• LeeLee Veteran

Is NetCup using NVME or their standard SSD for this?

• Competitions among bigs is gonna roll out small providers

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited January 2018

Lee said: Is NetCup using NVME or their standard SSD for this?

Festplattenverbund: 20 GB SSD (RAID10)

EDIT also, you'd like to check the netcup thread maybe