Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have a problem with ZxHost? - Page 19
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you have a problem with ZxHost?

Comments

• @etilico said:
    Ok, got it.
    Now I can access the CP, it says that the VM is offline, when I try to restart the VM it says: "The operation could not be Completed."
    In the VM logs the same, status: There was some error while starting the VPS, Progress: Task could not be Completed.

I haven't received any VNC related email :(
    The VNC box accessible via CP has no info about port or IP.

The VNC box would likely only show the details when the VM is registered as running

Now we have to find out whether the issue is with your VM or the node it is supposed to run on..

From the CP do: power off first - and then activate rescue mode

• notice the web if might show some error during that process but it wil be available again after some minutes.
      If activation of rescue mode is sucessful try starting the VM in rescue mode.

Look in the logs for any new error messages

Failure to activate rescue mode or start your VM in rescue mode would likely indicate a problem with the node supposed to run your VM. - This might be a temporary outage due to maintenance - so advice is to wait some hours and then try again.

Remember that since we are now not on network storage your VM is locked to a physical machine.

Let us know of any success or failures ..

• @svmo said:

@etilico said:
    Ok, got it.
    Now I can access the CP, it says that the VM is offline, when I try to restart the VM it says: "The operation could not be Completed."
    In the VM logs the same, status: There was some error while starting the VPS, Progress: Task could not be Completed.

I haven't received any VNC related email :(
    The VNC box accessible via CP has no info about port or IP.

The VNC box would likely only show the details when the VM is registered as running

Now we have to find out whether the issue is with your VM or the node it is supposed to run on..

From the CP do: power off first - and then activate rescue mode

• notice the web if might show some error during that process but it wil be available again after some minutes.
      If activation of rescue mode is sucessful try starting the VM in rescue mode.

Look in the logs for any new error messages

Failure to activate rescue mode or start your VM in rescue mode would likely indicate a problem with the node supposed to run your VM. - This might be a temporary outage due to maintenance - so advice is to wait some hours and then try again.

Remember that since we are now not on network storage your VM is locked to a physical machine.

Let us know of any success or failures ..

Thanks for your advices, howewer I can enable rescue mode but after that the VM won't start with the same error mentioned before in the logs.
    Also the poweroff fails with the same error.
    I've opened a ticket about 4 hours ago without any response from @AshleyUK

Thanked by 1svmo
  • svmosvmo Member
    edited December 2017

@dusag0211 said:
    Does anybody on old or new Hetzer machines have IPv6 support running?
    Without it, the vps is rather un-usable for me.

Native support is not implemented presently - as a temporary workaround you might use tunnelbroker.net and set up a free IPv6 in IPv4 tunnel to their POP in Frankfurt - that would give you a /64 - it works fine for me.

Notice that a couple of ports (25 + irc) are blocked - if you take their tests and reach sage level you can unblock.

edit: I'm on a new machine

• @etilico said: ...
    Thanks for your advices, howewer I can enable rescue mode but after that the VM won't start with the same error mentioned before in the logs.
    Also the poweroff fails with the same error.

OK so likely there is a problem with the node supposed to run your VM - or the config of it

You have the IP of your VM - or can find it in the CP - mine was on a freshly allocated /28 - allocated to Ashley from Hetzners pool. - The first address in that range is used as gateway and is likely configured on the node supposed to run the VM. - pinging that will tell you if the node is up.

I would guess the nodes running the VM's are 32GB memory so makes sense with 2G / VM

I've opened a ticket about 4 hours ago without any response from @AshleyUK

I would wait 24h - and do not bump or reply to your ticket.
    If no reply or nothing has happened by then - close the ticket and open a new high priority ticket
    with an informative subject like New VM node down for 24h ? or New VM dead for 24h ? - and include the technical information you have collected. - then be patient for another 24h

Consider Ashley is likely busy with RL and probably other commitments, - and your first ticket might have been drowned in the crowd with pitchforks and torches clamoring for refunds ..

let us know how it goes

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Got my new VPS, all appears to be working correctly.

I can confirm the IPV6 tunnels work for ipv6 connectivity.

Done a couple of restarts changing hostname, etc and all appears to be working correctly.

To anyone who hasn't had much response, Ashley does seem to be doing stuff in the background - I was getting a little bit concerned and had reopened a ticket but was pleased to get a response this morning.

Not done any speed tests or anything yet, but the VPS seems responsive enough and SSH is certainly usable.

Thanked by 2svmo imchandave
  • Thank you @svmo. The situation is as follows.

• Debian 9.2 updated from 8.9 in my vps.

• Logs said error and restart or start fail.

• Could never start up again with logs showed always failed or error whenever I press the start button in Virtualizor web interface in last few days.

• I sent ticket to @ashleyuk last Saturday but no response and it was closed automatically.

@svmo said:

@GustafRiemann said:
    Mine cannot boot up any more. I've tried several times.

A little more information, would be nice, if we are to help you recover...

• Which Linux version do you have on the VM
    • I would also suggest you check Logs and Status Logs in the Virtualizor web interface

Suggested course of action:

• power off and put in rescue mode from Virtualizor web interface
    • once in rescue mode - try to start VM -
    • check the Logs in Virtualizor - if any error here you will need to open a ticket with @AshleyUK and quote the error message from the logs

If logs show succes your VM is OK and you should be able to:

• ping your VM's IP - to verify the VM is running
    • open a VNC terminal in the browser by using the Virtualizor web Interface

If you manage to get rescue mode running and have doubts on how to proceed let us know ...

• svmosvmo Member
    edited December 2017

@GustafRiemann said:
    Thank you @svmo. The situation is as follows.

• Could never start up again with logs showed always failed or error whenever I press the start button in Virtualizor web interface in last few days.

• I sent ticket to @ashleyuk last Saturday but no response and it was closed automatically.

Thank you !

I assume you did try to enable and boot recue mode ? - If not please do so first!

Rescue mode inserts a fresh minimal debian disk in front of the existing and should be bulletproof.
    The same would go for changing the boot order and boot from a CD image.

Looks like you and @etilico have similar problems ... so my advice and comments here:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2554747/#Comment_2554747 apply

So i suggest a fresh high priority ticket to @AshleyUK - with a catching subject like "NEW VM dead - Rescue mode fails" - remember to include the vm number from the Virtualizor CP and put in the info you have from logs etc.in it -

Sorry about both your and @etlico 's problems - but I'm certain they will be sorted out...

let us know how it goes ...

• Yura said: They won't bear a grudge against me if I will chargeback.

It's a pretty safe bet that ZX doesn't have any money which will make recovery difficult. That's why I keep wondering how much liability they are in, since if it's not too much they may be able to catch up to it with future sales, but if it's a lot then there's less hope. I appreciate that Ash gave it a good go, but stuff doesn't always work out.

• svmosvmo Member
    edited December 2017

@willie said:

Yura said: They won't bear a grudge against me if I will chargeback.

It's a pretty safe bet that ZX doesn't have any money which will make recovery difficult. That's why I keep wondering how much liability they are in, since if it's not too much they may be able to catch up to it with future sales, but if it's a lot then there's less hope. I appreciate that Ash gave it a good go, but stuff doesn't always work out.

We don't know anything about what resources Ashley may or may not have !

The case may be that Paypal is still blocking transfers.

The limiting factor - I guess - is Ashley's time. - Setting up and creating VM's on new servers do take time. - We are also seing a migration from Proxmox to Virtualizor.
    Not much point in starting that, unless you believe it can succeed.

Another point, is that obviously the LET storage plans are not zxhost's main source of income. - Nobody could run a small scale sustainable business based only on LET special offers - and make a living of it. - It may be a supplement - for filling up capacity, and hopefully getting a little extra revenue.

A point worth noticing is that in the - admittedly sparse - communication from Ashley, there have at no point been any doubts about the intent to give pro rata refunds to those who did not wish to continue the service. - It was also originally stated that refunds would be processed during January. - Of course funds has to be available, and a flash flood of chargebacks will only make Paypal richer. - ( on the order of 30$ per chargeback)

So - "It isn't over till the fat lady sings"

I'm sure that those of us who have recently got new working VM's are happy with the service and hope to be able to continue it ...

... those who have a claim - please be patient !

• svmo said: ... those who have a claim - please be patient !

which is not easy with the lack of communication anyway.

I do agree that Ashley does not seem to simply give up and I do appreciate that a lot. it's very good to see him try to deal with things and getting back on his feet with his business.
    yet I am very very sure, things might go easier with some more communication instead of no infos at all. seems like even during the whole ceph trouble itself he gave more infos, then he does now.

most probably could totally work with info's like paypal holding the money and need for a cooldown till january or what not. also pointing out that chargebacks only add to the problems and asking the clients to not do that would be a valid thing to communicate.
    just communicate at all - that's sadly the missing point here.

I also totally agree on the point that storage can't and won't be the only things his business was based on. yet even the non-storage services in 23media are still partially down and therefore not usable. should the more expensive services get some kind of priority to hold those customers, yet it doesn't seem so. bad luck.

Thanked by 2svmo lurch
  • svmosvmo Member
    edited December 2017

@Falzo said:

svmo said: ... those who have a claim - please be patient !

which is not easy with the lack of communication anyway.

I do agree that Ashley does not seem to simply give up and I do appreciate that a lot. it's very good to see him try to deal with things and getting back on his feet with his business.
    yet I am very very sure, things might go easier with some more communication instead of no infos at all. seems like even during the whole ceph trouble itself he gave more infos, then he does now.

most probably could totally work with info's like paypal holding the money and need for a cooldown till january or what not. also pointing out that chargebacks only add to the problems and asking the clients to not do that would be a valid thing to communicate.
    just communicate at all - that's sadly the missing point here.

I Do agree with you that some updates are missing, and would most likely help defuse the situation

My point is - that it comes down to trust. - People were willing to pay upfront and trust their storage for an extende period of time. - What Ashley has done until now is to do his damned best to live up to that trust. - And also that of the unaffected customers. - The easy road out would have been to declare things a total loss and close down the company. - With 90% of the infrastructure removed in one blow no one could fault that.

In place we see first a serious effort to solve the problem - and now an effort to migrate low revenue accounts to new servers. - I would also like to point out that asked Ashley stated that they were holding on tho the CEPH drives for at least a while to see if a patch was found.

So as somebody previously stated it may be Ashley is a doer not a talker.

For those continuing, and now getting new VM's it is still a very good deal - even better now when it is local storage.

Those that have a claim - well the claim does not go away legally - you and zxhost have entered into a contract. - However a major event has happened and it is reasonable to allow some time for reorganizing the business. - Waiting till sometime during January seems reasonably enough to me given the seriousness of the event.

Should the 180 day Paypal limit have expired - well you should be able to raise the claim through your bank.

Worst case scenario is zxhost has to close up shop because of debt in fees to Paypal - In that case everybody loses - I have not a shadow of doubt that Paypal will collect their fees first. - If you look up the company you will see that it corresponds to - I guess - an GmBH - and started with a capital of 1£ - so Ashley will likely not be personally in debt - but assets aquired and funds would be lost.

In case of declaring bankruptcy - most would probably go towards accountants and lawyers.

_So the best option for the remainers to continue service - and for those who have claim on a refund to actually get it - is to be patient , so things can be done in an orderly manner.
    _

Ashley has as far as I can tell from previous record been a good provider and most certainly obeyed forum rule no.1. DBAD - We should act likewise !

I would hate to see zxhost forced out of business - should that happen my comment is here
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=8FswjRpmFXU

I also totally agree on the point that storage can't and won't be the only things his business was based on. yet even the non-storage services in 23media are still partially down and therefore not usable. should the more expensive services get some kind of priority to hold those customers, yet it doesn't seem so. bad luck.

Well some of those may have been on CEPH also ? - There were mention of some with a single small disk.

• My VPS is up and running for 10 days now. No problems so far.

Thanked by 1svmo
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited December 2017

svmo said: Well some of those may have been on CEPH also ?

no they weren't. and they were up and working during the ceph issues and also for some days after 23media switched the lines on again. but are down now again.
    that's what gets me worrying about the whole status. as you said, it seems there is effort to keep the business alive and restore even low margin storage services. yet there are things that seem to be just ignored.
    to be clear I don't need any of my services anymore because I moved things out early to not be affected by any further downtime and also wrote that in my ticket.

which leaves two options: it's been read and recognized, therefore no care/restoration for that too - but if that's the case he read the ticket and didn't take half a minute to write a short response?
    or it hasn't been noticed yet which would ofc be worse as it would put his business also at risk with customers unrelated to cheapskate storage.
    after all both no good routes for getting back to success in my books.

and while you are totally right about that patience might be the only thing here anyway (remember I started off in this thread with trying to calm people down, encouraging patience too), I'd simply expect honest and proper answers from the other side of the contract - even if we decide to go separate ways in short.

especially if it takes time to restore or refund, there is no reason to not take a moment and inform every client properly about the next steps. it's not like we are in any hurry to rebuild live production ceph data anymore to be back online soon...

TL;DR; no comunication IMHO is the wrong way and won't regain any trust.

don't get me wrong. it's not that I demand daily updates. I would just like to get a single individual response after three weeks at all.
    I think that's not too much to ask from anyone doing business with in any case.

svmo said: _So the best option for the remainers to continue service - and for those who have claim on a refund to actually get it - is to be patient , so things can be done in an orderly manner. _

see, something Ashley could have easily written himself, maybe with some more detailed information on the time schedule he has in mind. should just not be our part anymore...

Thanked by 2svmo SwordfishBE
  • No responses to my ticket, VM down again since 72 hours.
    My patience is over, I've opened the Paypal dispute.

• etilico said: I've opened the Paypal dispute

please report back here about the outcome of this.

Thanked by 1svmo
  • @Yura said:
    @Clouvider, @MagicalTrain, I spoke to Paypal representative and it was a very pleasant discussion. They suggested me to explore any and all legal opportunities to resolve this situation. They won't bear a grudge against me if I will chargeback. Even more - Paypal is the one to recommend it.

Don't believe the Paypal representative. That's how I got my accounts locked and shut down many years ago. Before I discovered LET, I bought a VPS (actually two VPS, 1-2 weeks apart) from a hosting company that turned out to be a summer host. They completely disappeared a week or two after I paid for a year on my second VPS. I called Paypal and was told that they had received a lot of chargebacks for that account and they expected that I would get my money back without a problem. However, since I had paid through Paypal with my credit card (not with Paypal account balance), they said that there wasn't anything they could/would do from their end and that I had to call my credit card company, explain what happened, and have them do a chargeback. 1 week after I called my credit card company to initiate the chargeback, my Paypal account was permanently closed. That was the only time I had ever done a chargeback.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

That depends on what you said to your CC company. If the CB came as ‘not authorised’ then they can’t be blamed. If it came with a correct category, it’s a different thing, but I’m pretty sure the account wasn’t biked for the fact of chargeback alone.

Also, PayPal changed their approach and police a numerous time in a few years

• @Clouvider said:
    That depends on what you said to your CC company. If the CB came as ‘not authorised’ then they can’t be blamed. If it came with a correct category, it’s a different thing, but I’m pretty sure the account wasn’t biked for the fact of chargeback alone.

Also, PayPal changed their approach and police a numerous time in a few years

I believe it was submitted as ordered service not delivered.

• Tried to load a cd img but none shown for selection in the configuration page
    where selects the boot sequence.

I've updated a cd img in the img page.

@svmo said:

@GustafRiemann said:
    Thank you @svmo. The situation is as follows.

Thank you !

I assume you did try to enable and boot recue mode ? - If not please do so first!

Rescue mode inserts a fresh minimal debian disk in front of the existing and should be bulletproof.
    The same would go for changing the boot order and boot from a CD image.

Looks like you and @etilico have similar problems ... so my advice and comments here:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2554747/#Comment_2554747 apply

So i suggest a fresh high priority ticket to @AshleyUK - with a catching subject like "NEW VM dead - Rescue mode fails" - remember to include the vm number from the Virtualizor CP and put in the info you have from logs etc.in it -

Sorry about both your and @etlico 's problems - but I'm certain they will be sorted out...

let us know how it goes ...

Thanked by 1svmo
  • I like how Ashley started to auto close all tickets after 72 hours without a comment now.

I am kinda leaning to start a chargeback through paypal because I dont really wanna deal with having to comment on a ticket that Ashley hasnt answered on for weeks now every 72 hours just so it isnt closed.

• @MagicalTrain said:
    I like how Ashley started to auto close all tickets after 72 hours without a comment now.

That is WHMCS for you :) he probably misconfigured something as I believe on default whmcs installs that is how it is set for open/customer reply tickets to be auto closed in the interval defined.

• @zafouhar said:

@MagicalTrain said:
    I like how Ashley started to auto close all tickets after 72 hours without a comment now.

That is WHMCS for you :) he probably misconfigured something as I believe on default whmcs installs that is how it is set for open/customer reply tickets to be auto closed in the interval defined.

My ticket had been open for a while, it only recently started being a problem. So a config changed somewhere.

• My ticket was open for about 2 weeks then closed I reopened it then it auto closed a couple of days after so the auto close feature is new.

• My tickets with Ashley have been automatically closed, ever since I was a customer. Particularly, the one where I requested a replacement VM. The VM was nonetheless provisioned a few days later.

• @GustafRiemann said:
    Tried to load a cd img but none shown for selection in the configuration page
    where selects the boot sequence.

I've updated a cd img in the img page.

I did initially have the same problem, however the image did show up after a while
    the process is not nearly as instant as one would expect !

• I seem to recall I did a poweroff in Virtualizor.

... so try to have a look again. - probably takes some time for the web if machine to sync with
    the node for the VM

• svmosvmo Member
    edited December 2017

@MagicalTrain said:

@zafouhar said:

@MagicalTrain said:

My ticket had been open for a while, it only recently started being a problem. So a config changed somewhere.

Well the ticket system is probably royally overloaded at the moment.

I said yes to a new VM 23/11 - did not open any further tickets and it eventually showed up.

You stated in an earlier post -

@MagicalTrain said:
    I had a reply from Ashley a few days ago in regards to my refund request. He asked whether I wanted a vps instead. I said no. Interested in finding out how its going to continue from here.

Answer was obviously recieved since you have not been supplied a VM,

• further conclusion is that Ashley has acknowledged you are due a refund.

You further posted:

@MagicalTrain said:

@Falzo said:
    at least I am going to do so before running out of the 180 days period.

Thats my problem as well. My period runs out at the end of January. Im going to wait that long, but I dont I have it in my to have the 180 day period run past without any assurances.

I paid Ashley like 350€ for a custom vps. Not really hot on losing that.

emphasis is mine.

I do understand your worry - but - DO SHOW THE DECENCY - to wait until sometime in january

• before starting Paypal proceedings. - Dont do it prematurely out of spite or irritation.
  • Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited December 2017

@svmo said:

I do understand your worry - but - DO SHOW THE DECENCY - to wait until sometime in january

• before starting Paypal proceedings. - Dont do it prematurely out of spite or irritation.

This. Just wait about ~3 years, and Ashley will automatically refund you, pro-rata.

sigh

• @Shot2 said:

@svmo said:

This. Just wait about ~3 years, and Ashley will automatically refund you, pro-rata.

sigh

You obviously do not understand the severity , and scale of what has happpened,

• you are further unable to read that I wrote January
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Without wanting to "rub it in" my new VM is still working and seems more responsive than the older CEPH storage. I'm starting to move stuff to it over the weekend.

The "VPS created" email appears hand written, so I'm guessing he's still provisioning each one manually.

Responses from ZX were a bit poor, but the odd nudge and patience seemed to work.

Thanked by 1svmo
  • @svmo said:

@Shot2 said:

@svmo said:

sigh

You obviously do not understand the severity , and scale of what has happpened,

• you are further unable to read that I wrote January

Why wait ? The longer you wait, the lower the refund.

And the longer you wait, the less you are entitled to complain ("why would anyone wait 2 months to complain for failure to deliver a service that's been paid for", said a Paypal employee to me)