Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have a problem with ZxHost? - Page 17
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you have a problem with ZxHost?

Comments

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@elofty said:

anyones new vps running dead slow?

me too.

I have about 33% packet loss since yesterday, i.e. service currently unusable.
    I have submitted a ticket and hope this will be fixed soon.

• yeh I have too, Its unusable for me too :(

• Sorry to read that guys, cuz here it's quite fine. In fine my backups are getting up faster than what they did on CEPH, and I'm maxing out my ISP upload bandwidth (not too difficult here anyway).

Of course only 1TB, no IPv6 and some questions about future, but I did/do appreciate @AshleyUk's work!

Thanked by 1simlev
  • sadly still no individual communication at all nor new public pieces :/

while I have even tried to calm things down around here before, I am getting a bit impatient myself. sorry to say but two weeks after the initial incident even I expect to see some 'per customer' messages/answered tickets or issued refunds...

tickets are already closing automatically because being left unanswered and if you push it you probably are sent to the end of the queue :-(

so I would really appreciate to see some more things to be resolved/communicated before christmas...

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Did anyone get a refund processed? I'd asked for it, got a paypal refund ID but it was going to process delayed till Dec 4 (got mail 4-5 days prior to that). I suspect that there is no money at PayPal, since the refund failed and shows as cancelled. @AshleyUk didn't respond to the ticket even after 2-3 reminders, so I guess it looks like a cashflow issue.

• i got my vps same specs last Monday i think, didn't push data yet. maybe soon.

@Falzo, my ticket also got closed but i opened another one and he was quick to reply.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • I had a reply from Ashley a few days ago in regards to my refund request. He asked whether I wanted a vps instead. I said no. Interested in finding out how its going to continue from here.

Thanked by 2Falzo ashkulz
  • I suspect his paypal is still limited so unable to send refunds. The ceph failure can be forgiven the poor communication during the incident can be tolerated but now we should be getting timely updates to tickets or status emails stating things like we have x nodes, x orders outstanding, you will get your refund on x date.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • @lurch said:
    I suspect his paypal is still limited so unable to send refunds. The ceph failure can be forgiven the poor communication during the incident can be tolerated but now we should be getting timely updates to tickets or status emails stating things like we have x nodes, x orders outstanding, you will get your refund on x date.

totally agreed on this.

I would like to know where we are standing in this and even could work with being told about further issues with paypal and the likes. after all there are ways (at least inside europe) to work around and I already made some suggestions in my ticket...
    I intentionally tried to stay in the same ticket instead of opening new ones, but seems like that may be the false strategy after all.

no reaction or communication will force even patient customers to open a dispute at paypal sooner or later. at least I am going to do so before running out of the 180 days period. (some services paid for in july/august)

Thanked by 2nhocconan ashkulz
  • @Falzo said:
    at least I am going to do so before running out of the 180 days period.

Thats my problem as well. My period runs out at the end of January. Im going to wait that long, but I dont I have it in my to have the 180 day period run past without any assurances.

I paid Ashley like 350€ for a custom vps. Not really hot on losing that.

• nhocconannhocconan Member
    edited December 2017

@Falzo said:

no reaction or communication will force even patient customers to open a dispute at paypal sooner or later. at least I am going to do so before running out of the 180 days period. (some services paid for in july/august)

I almost forgot this when patiently waiting from 23 Nov with the ticket status "In Progress". I had 3 invoices with them, one is from Jan, one in Jun and one in August. It seems that I must take some actions before the 180-day window for the 2nd invoice expires :-(

EDIT: I checked, and the 2nd invoice was Jun 01, so dispute period was expired when I had been waiting for them. I already lost total of 2 invoices, 1 for 1T and 1 for 2T (before they promoted free 2T upgrading), both for 3-year billing cycle. What a bad luck :-(

• My 180 days are over too. What are our options if he decides not to refund?

• @Yura said:
    My 180 days are over too. What are our options if he decides not to refund?

Depends how much you would be losing taking into account it's pro rata not full. For me it's only a small amount and more about the principle but if I don't get one I'll put it down to one of life's lessons and move on

There might also be a chance to obtain a working VPS instead of your money back. My VPS is now running fine, with the specs I previously paid 3 years upfront, and with local storage and Virtualizor. So for me, everything is now exactly like it was before the Ceph disaster. It took several weeks, and I did not hear much from Ashley, but finally he did his work. I have no idea about how many customers we are talking and how long it will take for Ashley to serve everybody of us. Of course I expected a bit more and frequent information and transparency from Ashley, no question about that.

• rdesrdes Member
    edited December 2017

My two tickets are without reply from 3 weeks. Finally decided to open paypal dispute, got refund approval almost instantly, but now I've recieved info that it cannot be processed and I should contact seller. So 80$ (I've ordered LET special in september) seems to be lost..

@dfroe I really doubt that VPS with that specs in Hetzner DC would stay long. I7/16GB/2x3TB with /29 costs around 40 euro per month, and can hold 6 1TB servers, so it's simply not add up with 40$ yearly cost of VPS...

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • GustafRiemannGustafRiemann Member
    edited December 2017

Found the vps dumb without knowing the reason.

Keep an eye on it to see what's wrong.

• @dfroe said:
    My VPS is now running fine, with the specs I previously paid 3 years upfront, and with local storage and Virtualizor. So for me, everything is now exactly like it was before the Ceph disaster.

Same for me, 6TB Hetzner storage working fine. Thank you, Ashley!

Just waiting for some additional IPs...

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • my vps on hetzner failed to reboot and can never boot up again...

• @GustafRiemann said:
    my vps on hetzner failed to reboot and can never boot up again...

If it might help you ...
    I had an issue with the grub installation on my template ... maybe something similar.
    Reinstalling grub solved it.

You are aware that you can boot from one of the cd images present ... or - it seems - upload your own. ?

Booting from CD image worked for me ...

Thanked by 1GustafRiemann
  • Thank you @svmo.

I thought it maybe the same situation as for that.

I had upgraded the os and it did have modified the grub.

But another problem is why it became dumb.

Anyway, it seems I should first recover it.

@svmo said:

@GustafRiemann said:
    my vps on hetzner failed to reboot and can never boot up again...

If it might help you ...
    I had an issue with the grub installation on my template ... maybe something similar.
    Reinstalling grub solved it.

You are aware that you can boot from one of the cd images present ... or - it seems - upload your own. ?

Booting from CD image worked for me ...

Thanked by 1svmo
  • Anyone know how to quit rescue mode?

I entered the rescue mode but still cannot ssh to it and cannot quit the mode now.

Within the mode, I could do nothing to the vps. :(

• @GustafRiemann said:
    Anyone know how to quit rescue mode?

I entered the rescue mode but still cannot ssh to it and cannot quit the mode now.

most likely shutdown/stop the VM instead of only restarting it. make sure to unmount the rescue cd, if that's still put in.

Thanked by 1svmo
  • svmosvmo Member
    edited December 2017

@GustafRiemann said:

Should be on same dialog where you enabled it ?...virtualizor.com/wiki/Rescue_Mode

Although not mentioned VNC might work ? (edit - yes it does)

And yes poweroff / power on is required for changes in settings to take effect

Setting boot order CD/HDD etc is under VPS settings - power cycling required.
    You have to mount the desired image in the same place

• I remember having quite a lot of trouble installing Debian from ISO. Ashley ended up taking care of it for me through a ticket.

• You - never know till you test it .. tried to enable rescue mode myself ...
    ... and got a theme error on the web interface that went away after a few minutes ...

VNC does work in recue mode .. networking seems to be configured OK with ssh on port 22
    Your VM disk is /dev/vdb - and not mounted by default - mount and chroot into it

You can send ctrl/alt/del from vnc mode / then press esc / and you will get a qemu? boot menu

Disable rescue - and restart vm from web if works as expected.

• I've installed my system from lubuntu-17.10-desktop-amd64.iso and it runs great.

• Cannot ssh into my vps, always no respond or refuse.

And under the virtualizor, I was told the vps is locked by a popup dialog and cannot operate any more.

I'll try it again later.

@svmo said:

You - never know till you test it .. tried to enable rescue mode myself ...
    ... and got a theme error on the web interface that went away after a few minutes ...

VNC does work in recue mode .. networking seems to be configured OK with ssh on port 22
    Your VM disk is /dev/vdb - and not mounted by default - mount and chroot into it

You can send ctrl/alt/del from vnc mode / then press esc / and you will get a qemu? boot menu

Disable rescue - and restart vm from web if works as expected.

• I've got some clear mind. Thank you @Falzo and @svmo

I'll try it later since it's as-is locked now.

@Falzo said:

@GustafRiemann said:

most likely shutdown/stop the VM instead of only restarting it. make sure to unmount the rescue cd, if that's still put in.

Thanked by 1svmo
  • GustafRiemannGustafRiemann Member
    edited December 2017

Seems the vps was offline automatically.

For those who want to install Debian via netinst and if you do not find the desired ISO available on your VPS, you can also use iPXE/gPXE to start a debian netinst entirely via network without any ISO. This was very handy to install a recent Debian on my new ZXHost VPS and a Virmach BF-deal without disturbing the support with custom ISO mount requests. :)

Interrupt iPXE/gPXE with Ctrl-B and here you go:

dhcp
    initrd http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/debian-installer/amd64/initrd.gz
    kernel http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/debian-installer/amd64/linux
    boot

If you do not have a working DHCP environment you can of course also setup ip configuration manually.

Maybe somebody else might also find this useful. :)

Thanked by 5cpsd Falzo tarasis ehab svmo