Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MacOS High Sierra root blank pass vulnerability fix
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MacOS High Sierra root blank pass vulnerability fix

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2017

What a ridiculous bug, isn't it? Somebody at Apple should feel quite stupid right now...

• @Amitz said:
    What a ridiculous bug, isn't it? Somebody at Apple should feel quite stupid right now...

That's too soft to call this horribly horrendously formidable bug.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

• Amitz said: Somebody at Apple should feel quite stupid right now...

Nope, their sales will only increase.

• It seems High Sierra bug, not Sierra bug, right?

• @sonic said:
    It seems High Sierra bug, not Sierra bug, right?

That is what it says, "word for word".

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Yes, it is a high sierra bug. Since I come from Linux before Mac, I literally set a root pass on day 1 for root. Tried it on my machine, and it didn't work due to me setting the root pass ages ago :P

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2017

For Linux users, this is laughable, however, for a microsoft/apple user, having a blank administrator password is not so unheard of.
    Also, having shadow high privilege accounts, some of them well hidden, is also not unheard of.
    I do not think many apple fans (outside of this forum, of course) know about the Unix "roots" of their OS. It is just some kind of a different windows, it has a different arrangement of the interface, but essentially, they will still point and click to lauch their programs.
    A neighbour of mine bought a Mac as he is running a karaoke show and has a lot of video footage (4k and stuff, pro cameras, etc) and audio to edit for customers and heard Mac is better at AV, so came to me to install windows on it... It took some time to explain he will have to live with it if he wants the extra (real or not) features for AV.

Edit: I just saw I omitted the "High" from High Sierra and the "high" person who could do this blunder... I can no longer edit, please some mod :P

• Great job, Apple. Next time make sure to make it remotely exploitable... more fun that way.

• Wow.. Apple was actually quick with a patch:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208315

@JustAMacUser said:
    Wow.. Apple was actually quick with a patch:

Yeap, such a complex problem it takes months for Microsoft to fix...

• @Maounique said:

@JustAMacUser said:
    Wow.. Apple was actually quick with a patch:

Yeap, such a complex problem it takes months for Microsoft to fix...

sed s/::/:!:/g is difficult

• LeeLee Veteran

Crazy oversight however as soon as I read about it I went to updates and there it was, a patch ready to install. SHould not have happened but have to admit they were quick to get a patch out there.

Lee said: Crazy oversight however as soon as I read about it I went to updates and there it was, a patch ready to install.

Yep, apples forever.

Thanked by 1Lee